Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

Just reading about Chinas incredible investments in Solar and Wind power, and I instantly thought of all the people posting here that it is absolutely useless for Canada to do anything to help the climate crisis as long as India and China and the USA and Russia are doing nothing. Turns out the only ones that want to do nothing are the Conservatives in Canada. 

windmills make you gay 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Just reading about Chinas incredible investments in Solar and Wind power, and I instantly thought of all the people posting here that it is absolutely useless for Canada to do anything to help the climate crisis as long as India and China and the USA and Russia are doing nothing. Turns out the only ones that want to do nothing are the Conservatives in Canada. 

Yet China's emissions are dramatically increasing.  Good for Canadian exports of coal which is up substantially over the last 9 years.

https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/china/

Are you seriously commending Chinas incredibly bad environmental track record?

Edited by bolt

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

windmills make you gay 

2 windmills in China makes up for the rest of their pollution.  But virtual signalling is better than facts.

Edited by bolt

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And yet it was every liberal that voted, voted against looking into the foreign interference. Is that not of concern to you?

https://www.noscommunes.ca/Members/en/votes/44/1/339?view=party#mip-vote-text-collapsible-text

The Liberals obviously have something to hide considering all of the MPs for all of the other parties voted yes while every Liberal voted no...

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's called a whataboutism.  Hippy is a master at that in defending Trudeau...

Liberals are so bad that hippy now calls cons and libs the same.  Only a matter of time before Boomer Bob agrees with that.

Edited by bolt
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

Liberals are so bad that hippy now calls cons and libs the same.  Only a matter of time before Boomer Bob agrees with that.

I'm not sure you meant for that sentence to be funny in the way it really is.  (You may have meant for the second sentence to be funny but it's not really)

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm not sure you meant for that sentence to be funny in the way it really is.  (You may have meant for the second sentence to be funny but it's not really)

The only thing an age related jab tells me is that the person making it is a douchenozzle.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Coming from poster who love to toss out unsolicited insults that's rich...

Difference is I'm at least civilized enough to not direct them at other posters.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't see how any voting reform leads to less representation?

I think a lot of it comes down to the understanding that there's just a lot more people in cities than in more rural areas. It's why most democracies aren't really true democracies as they tend to be regional which kind of goes against the idea that every vote should matter. The populations of voting regions often have differing populations. I would imagine voting changes would be to "fix" that problem.

But then, let's say we do try to fix that problem. Again, there are a lot more city people than rural people. City people tend to vote more liberal and to the left. Rural people tend to vote more to the right. That voting overall will likely shift left due to my first sentence. Do you at least see where this could be deemed as a power grab if things change? Whether that's the intention or not, that doesn't matter as that notion WILL be there. As a comparison, think about how you feel about the right wing and their current power grabs in the states. That's how It'll look to the rural people here except it would be the left doing it. Again, doesn't matter the intention, it's still going to seem similar.

But, like I said, my opinion is going to be based on what the actual proposed changes would be, but if it ends up being a move that ultimately makes it so conservative factions never get the chance to be in power again... I'm going to be less in favour of that because we need balance.

At the end of the day, democracy's not perfect, nor will it ever be.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What does something that happened in 2014 have to do with this current allegations?

If we ignore the past, we just end up making the same mistakes.

The Conservatives aren't exactly going to be angels while the Liberals devils nor is it going to be the other way around.

Edited by The Lock

5 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Two 

Completely 

Different 

Situations

10 years

Apart

This is ridiculous honestly 

Voting against looking in to foreign interference 

Cons voted against electoral fairness and improvement 

These are two parties that have actively voted against protecting or improving our democratic voting process.

The fact this is hard for you to understand isn't shocking but your unwillingness to accept that both parties are essentially the same is telling 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

But, like I said, my opinion is going to be based on what the actual proposed changes would be, but if it ends up being a move that ultimately makes it so conservative factions never get the chance to be in power again... I'm going to be less in favour of that because we need balance.

They could still certainly win a minority under election reform, they just are less likely to garner a majority government. (And again, IMO minority governments area truer representation of compromise and democracy)

Also, again would be more representative of actual voter intent forb the 2/3-3/4 of the country that consider themselves more progressive. It also might encourage them back to the centre-right instead of courting yahoo right wing fringe crap. All of which are positives by my reckoning.

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Liberals obviously have something to hide considering all of the MPs for all of the other parties voted yes while every Liberal voted no...

I read this thread less and less. Posters on here are actually willing to look the other way on a multitude of issues because of political leanings. I have felt for some time that the Liberal Party under Trudeau has threatened Canadian national security. Now a report that sitting MP's have colluded with foreign countries and committed treason in the process. Those individuals should be named no matter the party. If this is not a national crisis then what is? Lack of accountability is destroying our country.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I read this thread less and less. Posters on here are actually willing to look the other way on a multitude of issues because of political leanings.

Where are you getting this from? People call out Trudeau all the time in here.

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I have felt for some time that the Liberal Party under Trudeau has threatened Canadian national security. Now a report that sitting MP's have colluded with foreign countries and committed treason in the process. Those individuals should be named no matter the party. If this is not a national crisis then what is? Lack of accountability is destroying our country.

What if your name dropping comes at the cost of more damage? None of us knows how the intelligence was collected, but you are willing to risk it for what? 

This situation stinks, but why rush to potentially make it worse? Let the RCMP do their job and bring people to justice the right way .

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

They could still certainly win a minority under election reform, they just are less likely to garner a majority government. (And again, IMO minority governments area truer representation of compromise and democracy)

Also, again would be more representative of actual voter intent forb the 2/3-3/4 of the country that consider themselves more progressive. It also might encourage them back to the centre-right instead of courting yahoo right wing fringe crap. All of which are positives by my reckoning.

So then you do realise there would be a shift. These are going to be positives for you because you're more left leaning. It's essentially wanting the country and everyone in it to shift towards your direction.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this because I'm really against shifting a country for one's own narrative. I get the frustration with the right these days, but that will change back over time once we're rid of Trump. We don't need voter changes to bring things back to the way things were before.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So then you do realise there would be a shift. These are going to be positives for you because you're more left leaning. It's essentially wanting the country and everyone in it to shift towards your direction.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this because I'm really against shifting a country for one's own narrative. I get the frustration with the right these days, but that will change back over time once we're rid of Trump. We don't need voter changes to bring things back to the way things were before.

I guess the argument back is, if Canada is consistently 60-65 percent not conservative, why should conservatives have power?