Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Satchmo said:

I'm so glad we've moved on and are now talking about the really important stuff.  🙂

Yes. These are important questions to be asking. The next time I run into my local MP I'll have to ask him about the word "dear." This is far more important than Hamas or the climate crisis. I'm going to lose so much sleep tonight just thinking about it.

• Cheers 1

The left have gone so far left that everything else seems right wing.

• Scientific / biological facts = far right

• Countries should have border controls = far right

• Freedom of speech = far right

• Want lower taxes = far right

• Question the government = far right

• Country has a right to defend itself = far right

• Capitalism = far right

or Nazis according to the former moderate war hippy.

• Cheers 1

Just now, bolt said:

• Capitalism = far right

what does something grabbed from a US Facebook account have to do with Canadian politics? 

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, "Dear John" Is directed at someone named John. John is generally a male name.

Calling you "dear" is a general term that's not gender specific. For example, there are many husband and wife couples where they will both call each other "dear".

So if you're offended at the lack of reading comprehension, I'm sorry that you're offending yourself.

Dear John wasn't used anywhere so that's rather irrelevant to the conversation.

That's basically the only example where that would apply. Do you call random people you have never met "dear"?

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Really? You're OK with PP playing political games with treason?

Come on man, I know you hate Justy, but PP is just as bad if he's not willing to root out a traitor out of the CPC. I don't know how you can excuse that, and still go after Trudeau the way you do. 

All PP has to do is get his clearance, and read the report. he'd look like a responsible PM in waiting if he acted like a leader. 

If any of these losers from any party ACTUALLY cared we would have names. These jabronis only care about protecting each other and their cushy pensions.

All any of these leaders need to do is start dropping names. These people shouldn't be protected 

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

If any of these losers from any party ACTUALLY cared we would have names. These jabronis only care about protecting each other and their cushy pensions.

All any of these leaders need to do is start dropping names. These people shouldn't be protected 

I totally agree, the names need to be made public, with the caveat that it can be done without further harming our security.

But PP actually bills himself as "PM in waiting." If you're going to call yourself that, then I expect to see leadership qualities. 

PP could take the lead here, get his clearance, rid the CPC of a traitor or say his party is clean. Why not do that? It would put immense pressure on Trudeau to do the same. 

18 minutes ago, bolt said:

• Capitalism = far right

Okay, I'll bite before I try and get other things done outside of here....

- If you actually provided scientific facts rather than opinion pieces that would be great (biology is a science by the way since you don't seem to know that)

- Even the Schengen zone in Europe has border controls, they just happen to get instigated in times of need such as when terrorists attack. Are you telling me you want no borders?

- Freedom of speech only gets brought up when someone's not getting their way. Usually, it's from someone yelling at a police officer to try and avoid a speeding ticket because "they have freedom of speech!" This is a non-issue from both sides outside of that.

- I want lower taxes... so.. erm... I guess I'm not left?

- I question the Liberals. When the CPC gets in power you damn well better be ready to question them as well. I'll be asking you for your opinion on their scandals

- Why wouldn't a county have a right to defend itself? Perhaps the more important question: what are we defending?

- You're against Pharma capitalism are you not? So then you're saying you're far right with this?

One day you'll wake up and see it's actually YOU who has shifted right. Most people in here are centrists from what I've seen. If you think these centrists are far left, that's more telling of your own stance, not them.

Edited by The Lock
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Dear John wasn't used anywhere so that's rather irrelevant to the conversation.

That's basically the only example where that would apply. Do you call random people you have never met "dear"?

Sure I would, why not?

And Dear John you mentioned not being gender specific. I explained how it is. Suddenly you're saying it's irrelevant because you were proven wrong. lol

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

- If you actually provided scientific facts rather than opinion pieces that would be great (biology is a science by the way since you don't seem to know that) then that would be great)

- Even the Schengen zone in Europe has border controls, they just happen to get instigated in times of need such as when terrorists attack. Are you telling me you want no borders?

- Freedom of speech only gets brought up when someone's not getting their way. Usually, it's from someone yelling at a police officer to try and avoid a speeding ticket because "they have freedom of speech!" This is a non-issue from both sides outside of that.

- I question both the Liberals. When the CPC get in power you damn well better be ready to question them as well

- Why wouldn't a county have a right to defend itself? Perhaps the more important question: what are we defending?

- You're against Pharma capitalism are you not? So then you're saying you're far right with this?

One day you'll wake up and see it's actually YOU who has shifted right. Most people in here are centrists from what I've seen. If you think these centrists are far left, that's more telling of your own stance, not them.

Hell even I lean right on some issues, such as sentencing for violent crime, right to self defence, and a strong military (although both parties suck for that in Canada).  Dogmatically aligning every single issue to match with a chosen political party is results of brainwashing.

15 minutes ago, bolt said:

• Capitalism = far right

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

- If you actually provided scientific facts rather than opinion pieces that would be great (biology is a science by the way since you don't seem to know that) then that would be great)

- I question both the Liberals. When the CPC get in power you damn well better be ready to question them as well

I'll add to the taxes thing:

I'm sure a lot of people would like lower taxes.  The problem is that when the CONS do it, they do it BACKWARDS.  They slash taxes first.  This inevitably results in a revenue problem, putting them in a deficit problem that they then solve by willy nilly cutting services.  See the closing of Veterans and Coast Guard offices as a recent example.  See Brownback's Kansas.

The proper way is to get your budget in order and then target tax cuts AFTERWARDS.  This is something the CONs don't do.  Will not do.  Because they suck at fiscal policy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Sure I would, why not?

And Dear John you mentioned not being gender specific. I explained how it is. Suddenly you're saying it's irrelevant because you were proven wrong. lol

Because you don't call people you don't know "dear" unless you are close with them or of an advanced age.

Huh? What are you even talking about? I never said that? I said it was irrelevant to the conversation. Because it was. 

Anyways this is enough discussion on a comment that was supposed to be sarcastic 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I totally agree, the names need to be made public, with the caveat that it can be done without further harming our security.

But PP actually bills himself as "PM in waiting." If you're going to call yourself that, then I expect to see leadership qualities. 

PP could take the lead here, get his clearance, rid the CPC of a traitor or say his party is clean. Why not do that? It would put immense pressure on Trudeau to do the same. 

You could say all this about Trudeau though. And yet he seems to get a pass?

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Because you don't call people you don't know "dear" unless you are close with them or of an advanced age.

Huh? What are you even talking about? I never said that? I said it was irrelevant to the conversation. Because it was. 

Anyways this is enough discussion on a comment that was supposed to be sarcastic 

Alright, take care dear.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

nope, no pass. I'm quite concerned about the response and what it means in terms of potential damage, but I'm more concerned about what the plan is moving forward. He'll be held accountable for what comes out of this. 

Dunno man, I know if I were leading a party I'd sure as hell want to know if I had a traitor in it. I think you would too. 

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Neither Trudeau nor PP should get a pass. If you think one and not the other then that's being nothing more than a hypocrite.

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

nope, no pass. I'm quite concerned about the response and what it means in terms of potential damage, but I'm more concerned about what the plan is moving forward. He'll be held accountable for what comes out of this. 

Dunno man, I know if I were leading a party I'd sure as hell want to know if I had a traitor in it. I think you would too. 

None of them should get a pass. They should all want to know. The way this has been handled has been frustrating to watch, regardless of what party you champion 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

None of them should get a pass. They should all want to know. The way this has been handled has been frustrating to watch, regardless of what party you champion 

Hey! We agree on something!

14 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Neither Trudeau nor PP should get a pass. If you think one and not the other then that's being nothing more than a hypocrite.

I have made it quite clear that none of them should get a pass 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I have made it quite clear that none of them should get a pass 

Not everyone here seems to want to (I'm purposely not even going to refer to sides on this), so you'll have to excuse things when it becomes a blur who you're talking with at times.

I'm also not here all the time so there's that.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You have proven you can do a google search.

Now can you use the word in each of its different applications?

Honest question. I'm legitimately curious about what's going through your head: What is preventing you from just saying "Hey, I made a mistake in thinking dear was gender specific." and then moving on to debate with people on other topics that matter more?

It is a self sense of pride that gets hit if you do? A desire to just keep the conversation going?

Remember, it's the strong minds that know and can admit when they've been defeated. It also tends to garner a ton of respect that you might not realise. 🙂

• ThereItIs 1