Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, bolt said:

So another article basically saying the same things as the CBC article you posted as well as the GLOBAL article you posted.  The same info.  

45 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

No one wants a majority.  CONs don't want an JT majority obviously.  The majority of voters don't want a CON majority (poll above Lib + NDP + Green = 50.3%)

I would rather Libs or Cons have a majority than another coalition, at least then some stuff can get done. 

16 minutes ago, bolt said:

From your article:

LeBlanc remained resolute Thursday against calls to release any names based on preliminary information.

“It’s important for Canadians to understand that these names are contained in intelligence reports, in some cases, it’s uncorroborated or unverified intelligence information,” he told a parliamentary committee studying foreign interference. “The idea that there’s a perfect list of names that is entirely reliable that should be released to the public is simply irresponsible.”

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So another article basically saying the same things as the CBC article you posted as well as the GLOBAL article you posted.  The same info.  

Well, if you need a name; here is one and it isn't even 100 days ago that the meeting took place.

If you are not the head of state, what are you meeting other heads of state for? Just curious.

20 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I think the variable in this equation is what one considers 'on track'. I think this country is on track, so 'back to' where we currently are sounds ridiculous. 

Now if someone might mean back to women knowing their place and having more restrictive rights, or back to when gay marriage was illegal (Remember that fun time Pierre Poilievre voted against gay marriage?) or back to before marijuana was legal, or back when there were 144 long term drinking water advisories on First Nations reserves in Canada in 2014? Or back when ...i could do this all day..

No surprise, reading my own words here I am reminded of the Preston Manning REFORM tent touring out west being met with protestors chanting "Racist Sexist Anti-Gay: Preston Manning there is no way!"

funny how the right wing can't seem to accept their core values are out of sync with the majority of Canadians, and can't really hide their core values overall, so they just stop talking about them and start saying Canada Is Broken. The 'broken' bits are called progress and are a feature not a bug. 

Clearly when I say back on track, I mean back to the time when women and gays were not considered people and were fixing dinner by candlelight. Definitely not referring to affordable living/housing, managing the deficit, and economic growth and development. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

So you think nothing got done since 2020???   Nothing?  

Can you realistically say things have improved since 2020? People just say well covid, its not their fault but you cant blame everything on the virus. How much has housing prices increased since 2020? How much has national debt increased?

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Clearly when I say back on track, I mean back to the time when women and gays were not considered people and were fixing dinner by candlelight. Definitely not referring to affordable living/housing, managing the deficit, and economic growth and development. 

So Pierre Poilievre can undo the global inflation crisis that grips 7 billion people?, undo 50 years of housing neglect by the provinces?, and somehow 'undo' the excellent economic growth and development(yikes if so) that has occurred in the last decade, relative to the global situation?
I honestly hope he can, if he ever wins government, because when he can't, what then? 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Can you realistically say things have improved since 2020? People just say well covid, its not their fault but you cant blame everything on the virus. How much has housing prices increased since 2020? How much has national debt increased?

Can you break it down for us?   How much can be blamed on the virus and/or people's reactions to it, and how much cannot?

17 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Can you break it down for us?   How much can be blamed on the virus and/or people's reactions to it, and how much cannot?

Canada’s federal COVID spending totaled $359.7 billion, of which an estimated 25 percent ($89.9 billion), at a minimum, was wasted. Total federal COVID spending has added $8.3 billion to present-day interest costs and we estimate approximately $2.1 billion of that amount is attributable to wasteful COVID spending. Over the next 10 years, Canada’s federal government is projected to pay $21.1 billion in interest costs attributable to COVID fiscal waste. Put differently, the cost of Canada’s COVID fiscal waste will total roughly $111.0 billion by the end of 2032/33. 

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/fiscal-waste-during-the-pandemic-in-canada-and-the-united-states#:~:text=Canada's federal COVID spending totaled,attributable to wasteful COVID spending.

The other roughly 150 billion dollars added to the National debt since 2020 would be unrelated to covid. Each Canadian now owes over 31k for their portion of the national debt and each Canadian spent roughly 9.5k on the fight against covid only including money spent by the federal government. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canada’s federal COVID spending totaled $359.7 billion, of which an estimated 25 percent ($89.9 billion), at a minimum, was wasted. Total federal COVID spending has added $8.3 billion to present-day interest costs and we estimate approximately $2.1 billion of that amount is attributable to wasteful COVID spending. Over the next 10 years, Canada’s federal government is projected to pay $21.1 billion in interest costs attributable to COVID fiscal waste. Put differently, the cost of Canada’s COVID fiscal waste will total roughly $111.0 billion by the end of 2032/33. 

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/fiscal-waste-during-the-pandemic-in-canada-and-the-united-states#:~:text=Canada's federal COVID spending totaled,attributable to wasteful COVID spending.

The other roughly 150 billion dollars added to the National debt since 2020 would be unrelated to covid. Each Canadian now owes over 31k for their portion of the national debt and each Canadian spent roughly 9.5k on the fight against covid only including money spent by the federal government. 

You make it sound like there was an alternative. The only one I know of was to let 60% of Canadian businesses go bankrupt along with 75% of the population.

Also: only 31k per person to be debt free Nationally? Sign me up, i will pay if you will. 

38 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

The fact that you didn't provide an answer is very telling.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

You make it sound like there was an alternative. The only one I know of was to let 60% of Canadian businesses go bankrupt along with 75% of the population.

You forgot the option of doing nothing at all and completely overwhelming our medical system.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You forgot the option of doing nothing at all and completely overwhelming our medical system.

We would be all dead if the Government didn't buy ventilators from an ex mp with zero experience of building medical equipment.  

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/former-liberal-mp-questioned-over-ventilator-contract-at-ethics-committee

But it was OK to be corrupt during covid because it saved lives.

Many Canadians who collected cerb had to.pay it back while the scammers kept it.  

Edited by bolt

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

How so?  I was curious to know how others quantize the effect of the pandemic.

He asked what improved since 2020?  You said nothing and went on a strange rant about the government saving us from covid. So the answer is nothing has improved because it's all covid's fault?

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Is it?

Interesting.b says nothing like that anywhere in that story

An international laughing stock.  Right or wrong News networks around the world are reporting treason within the Canadian Government.   

Edited by bolt

1 minute ago, bolt said:

He asked what improved since 2020?  You said nothing and went on a strange rant about the government saving us from covid.

No, I did not.   I am just about to reply to BP's reply to my post but am distracted by this one.

As mentioned, I keep hearing we can't blame everything on the pandemic, which  is likely quite true.   I was curious to know how much 'your side' felt we could blame it for.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

That kind of dynamic thinking overwhelms the conservative minded voter.  You can't expect them to know that we didn't know what future variants would do with the virus, would the death rate rise above 3%, fall below it or lead to an extinction event. In hindsight now we are all aware that the variants and exposure along with vaccinations trended the death rate lower and lower in Covid where now less than 1% of those that get it die. Whew, but to expect folks to understand the dynamic situation in real time is asking too much. 

52 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

In 2020 supply chains were hampered.  Global travel was non existent.  Tourism, manufacturing and industry was at a stand still.

Since then travel is back.  Industry is growing. Manufacturing is back.

Housing prices are a private sector issue.  Government has ZERO control over that.  Grocery and fuel prices are also private sector issues.  

Unless the government comes in and takes control of fuel, housing and food prices via price caps or direct intervention that's always been a nil point.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

That kind of dynamic thinking overwhelms the conservative minded voter.  You can't expect them to know that we didn't know what future variants would do with the virus, would the death rate rise above 3%, fall below it or lead to an extinction event. In hindsight now we are all aware that the variants and exposure along with vaccinations trended the death rate lower and lower in Covid where now less than 1% of those that get it die. Whew, but to expect folks to understand the dynamic situation in real time is asking too much. 

So nothing has improved since 2020. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

An international laughing stock.  Right or wrong News networks around the world are reporting treason within the Canadian Government.   

Says nothing about being an international laughing stock either.

Does say our legal and justice are some of the strongest and most productive in the world though.

Why do you feel that you have to lie?  If the truth is so bad, lying seems to be a bit heavy handed doesn't it?

• Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Covid spending was done at the behest of ALL parties via ALL party consent via UNANIMOUS decision between ALL parties because the alternative was watching the entirety of the nation's small businesses fail within three months 

Complain all your like, no single person or party is guilty of the level of spending seen over 30 months between 2020 and late 2022