Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

12 minutes ago, bolt said:

Many Canadians who collected cerb had to.pay it back while the scammers kept it.  

Prove it.

Go ahead

This is what I mean.  You're lying.  If the truth is so bad you should only have to post the truth, instead you lie about things.

So.  Prove it.  Show us where ONLY the scammers kept it and weren't punished and only the honest ones had to pay it back.

Because the data shows clearly that the scammers who applied and never should have qualified are the loudest group whining about having to pay it back.

As for businesses having to pay it back, it was always Sloan because people like you would be making your sad victim noises if the government just "gave" money away which, ironically we're doing anyway 

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canada’s federal COVID spending totaled $359.7 billion, of which an estimated 25 percent ($89.9 billion), at a minimum, was wasted. Total federal COVID spending has added $8.3 billion to present-day interest costs and we estimate approximately $2.1 billion of that amount is attributable to wasteful COVID spending. Over the next 10 years, Canada’s federal government is projected to pay $21.1 billion in interest costs attributable to COVID fiscal waste. Put differently, the cost of Canada’s COVID fiscal waste will total roughly $111.0 billion by the end of 2032/33. 

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/studies/fiscal-waste-during-the-pandemic-in-canada-and-the-united-states#:~:text=Canada's federal COVID spending totaled,attributable to wasteful COVID spending.

The other roughly 150 billion dollars added to the National debt since 2020 would be unrelated to covid. Each Canadian now owes over 31k for their portion of the national debt and each Canadian spent roughly 9.5k on the fight against covid only including money spent by the federal government. 

We can all argue about the opinions Fraser Institute and get nowhere.  We've done that before and got nowhere.

If they are going to say that X dollars were wasted should they not explain how and why they reached that conclusion?

Anyway, perhaps my original question was too vague.   I just wondered if we can't blame everything on the pandemic, how much can we blame?  Some things? None? 

I see now I'm likely to get a slew of differing opinions, some valid, some not, some snippy.  I should have just realized that before I posed the question.    

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In 2020 supply chains were hampered.  Global travel was non existent.  Tourism, manufacturing and industry was at a stand still.

Since then travel is back.  Industry is growing. Manufacturing is back.

Housing prices are a private sector issue.  Government has ZERO control over that.  Grocery and fuel prices are also private sector issues.  

Unless the government comes in and takes control of fuel, housing and food prices via price caps or direct intervention that's always been a nil point.

You truly believe the government whether it be provincial or federal and the policies and legislation they enact has absolutely zero effect on housing whether directly or indirectly?

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You truly believe the government whether it be provincial or federal and the policies and legislation they enact has absolutely zero effect on housing whether directly or indirectly?

You'd have to be a simpleton to believe the federal government is the cause of all your issues.

Provincial governments and municipal have a FAR greater say  and effective carte blanche in housing starts/density whereas the feds basically only set building safety codes and distribute $$

As 9 of our provinces are conservative run or have been conservative run for far longer than liberal or NDP, this would indicate that conservative governments are failing to build housing which happens to be the single greatest factor in housing prices

I understand the price of housing has risen dramatically and that is a problem for those without adequate housing. 

That aside for just a moment though; for me personally, my condo doubled in value from 2018 to 2022 and I sold at peak optimization, then bought an acre of land with the same number of bedrooms in the house in my preferred community rather than a bedroom community of Victoria I am back in the valley I grew up in, four blocks away from my families farms and only added 70k to my mortgage. I have paid that off now and have a million dollar acreage and only a 300k mortgage. 

The housing 'problem' is relative to where you are on the ladder, that is all I am sayin. It is a problem and i am not downplaying it for those affected: but show me someone who was gonna buy a house in December 2019 and then suddenly couldn't and i will show you less than 1% of the people in the entire country. 99% of the folks 'fucked' today out of the houseing market were not going to be buying in 2020 if covid never happened anyway. Hate to be the messenger on that..and yes cost of all housing not just ownership is through the roof and a problem, all over north america. I have suggested before that minimum wage earners should seek their fortune in the Maritimes or try your luck in the Oilberta rather than earn minimum wage in Vancouver. Those people are victims of their choices not the government. 

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would rather Libs or Cons have a majority than another coalition, at least then some stuff can get done. 

but a lot of stuff has been done, you just maybe don't like which stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You'd have to be a simpleton to believe the federal government is the cause of all your issues.

Provincial governments and municipal have a FAR greater say  and effective carte blanche in housing starts/density whereas the feds basically only set building safety codes and distribute $$

As 9 of our provinces are conservative run or have been conservative run for far longer than liberal or NDP, this would indicate that conservative governments are failing to build housing which happens to be the single greatest factor in housing prices

Damn. You must really dislike Trudeau then since one of his biggest campaign promises he originally ran on was "making housing more affordable for all" Just a dirty little lier he is I guess because according to you, the government has absolutely no control over housing. What a weasel eh?

6 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I understand the price of housing has risen dramatically and that is a problem for those without adequate housing. 

That aside for just a moment though; for me personally, my condo doubled in value from 2018 to 2022 and I sold at peak optimization, then bought an acre of land with the same number of bedrooms in the house in my preferred community rather than a bedroom community of Victoria I am back in the valley I grew up in, four blocks away from my families farms and only added 70k to my mortgage. I have paid that off now and have a million dollar acreage and only a 300k mortgage. 

The housing 'problem' is relative to where you are on the ladder, that is all I am sayin. It is a problem and i am not downplaying it for those affected: but show me someone who was gonna buy a house in December 2019 and then suddenly couldn't and i will show you less than 1% of the people in the entire country. 99% of the folks 'fucked' today out of the houseing market were not going to be buying in 2020 if covid never happened anyway. Hate to be the messenger on that..and yes cost of all housing not just ownership is through the roof and a problem, all over north america. I have suggested before that minimum wage earners should seek their fortune in the Maritimes or try your luck in the Oilberta rather than earn minimum wage in Vancouver. Those people are victims of their choices not the government. 

its more the really insane rent prices. Those have to come down. 

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May says she's read the original version of a highly-publicized intelligence watchdog's report on foreign interference and she doesn't believe any of her House of Commons colleagues knowingly betrayed their country.

"There is no list of MPs who have shown disloyalty to Canada," she said. "I am vastly relieved."

Last week, the National Security and Intelligence Committee of Parliamentarians (NSICOP), a cross-party committee of MPs and senators with top security clearances, released a heavily redacted document alleging some parliamentarians have actively helped foreign governments meddle in Canadian politics.

May has a top security clearance allowing her to see classified intelligence and was granted access to the unredacted version of NSICOP Monday night. She said reactions to the report since it was tabled last week have triggered a "totally understandable media firestorm, which in my view is overblown."

Green Leader Elizabeth May says there's no list of disloyal MPs in unredacted NSICOP report

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/elizabeth-may-nsicop-mps-1.7231497

This is why it's best to know all the facts, before going on a rant about "treason".....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/elizabeth-may-nsicop-mps-1.7231497

This is why it's best to know all the facts, before going on a rant about "treason".....

good to post the title

Green Leader Elizabeth May says there's no list of disloyal MPs in unredacted NSICOP report

May says she was 'relieved' after reading top-secret information

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Damn. You must really dislike Trudeau then since one of his biggest campaign promises he originally ran on was "making housing more affordable for all" Just a dirty little lier he is I guess because according to you, the government has absolutely no control over housing. What a weasel eh?

Sure am not happy that he lied to people about it at all.

Almost as unhappy as I am about Pierre telling people he was the housing minister and how as housing minister he built sooo many houses but in reality he spent hundreds of millions and built less than like 2 dozen units but also, he never actually held that cabinet position at all.

Dirty little liars indeed

Which begs the question, if Trudeau is such a shite for lying about it, and Pierre also lied about it and more, why is Pierre doubling down promising he can do something about it when it isn't even in his jurisdiction by and large?  he lied about his past, now he is lying about his future.  He really is as bad as trudeau and maybe worse

• Vintage 1

So another very important part from @RupertKBD's link:

May, who told reporters that she had to tread carefully to avoid disclosing classified information, said the report lists the names of less than a handful of MPs who may have been compromised by foreign governments.

"They have been beneficiaries of foreign governments interfering in nomination contests," she said. 

"Are there currently MPs sitting with us in the chamber who would set out knowingly to sell out Canada for personal benefit? If there are, there's no evidence of that in the full report."

She also said she did not read any specific reference to the Senate in the report.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its more the really insane rent prices. Those have to come down. 

I agree they seem insane, but how do you bring them down? I don't want 10 minimum wage drug users with alcohol problems in my old (hypothetical) Tudor near the lansdowne campus, i want urban professionals there with good jobs and kids who will not only pay the rent but stay around for 20 years. 3800 is the market price on that. How do you bring it down to 1900? I mean right now, not by building more houses every year for the last 60 years, cuz we didn't ... I don't know the answer other than to work hard with local governments skippig the premiers who have botched the job entirely and get the feds working with the city councils and regional directors to enhance the chances of more builds..also sadly, they are going to be megablock apartments like Council Housing in england because the last 60 years in Canada we have slipped so badly in houseing that the only answer now is terrible housing projects like Ghetto era poland and COncil housing england and the "Projects" era USA> it isnt a good answer but it is a short term fast answer. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-universities-ask-federal-government-for-additional-funding-in-upcoming/

Here's an opportunity to do something: make universities build more student residences if they want funding.  

for what they now charge in tuition, they have no business with their hands out for this. Maybe set aside one or two of their vanity projects and build a residence. 

Just now, Optimist Prime said:

I agree they seem insane, but how do you bring them down? I don't want 10 minimum wage drug users with alcohol problems in my old Tudor near the lansdowne campus, i want urban professionals there with good jobs and kids who will not only pay the rent but stay around for 20 years. 3800 is the market price on that. How do you bring it down to 1900? I mean right now, not by building more houses every year for the last 60 years, cuz we didn't ... I don't know the answer other than to work hard with local governments skippig the premiers who have botched the job entirely and get the feds working with the city councils and regional directors to enhance the chances of more builds..also sadly, they are going to be megablock apartments like Council Housing in england because the last 60 years in Canada we have slipped so badly in houseing that the only answer now is terrible housing projects like Ghetto era poland and COncil housing england and the "Projects" era USA> it isnt a good answer but it is a short term fast answer. 

it has to be rent control. $2k for a 1 bedroom apartment is nuts, and pretty much usury. 

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's rather convient how much housing prices jump after 2015. What happened that year again?

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/average-house-prices

I mean i you ONLY look at 2015 on it sure looks funny doesnt it?

But if you look further back it appears as though it happened regardless.

Amazingly enough, it appears as though housing in BC was actually declining in price for a few years prior to covid.  But we won't talk about that will we?  Doesn't suit the narrative.  We'll also ignore how housing prices have been spoken about as unaffordable, dangerous and more since around 2004 because again; narrative.

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.49.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.50.29 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

for what they now charge in tuition, they have no business with their hands out for this. Maybe set aside one or two of their vanity projects and build a residence. 

Agreed, and I'd rather the pressure to be cutting back on existing funding if they're not building residences.  I also want to invest in more military housing.  

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So another very important part from @RupertKBD's link:

May, who told reporters that she had to tread carefully to avoid disclosing classified information, said the report lists the names of less than a handful of MPs who may have been compromised by foreign governments.

"They have been beneficiaries of foreign governments interfering in nomination contests," she said. 

"Are there currently MPs sitting with us in the chamber who would set out knowingly to sell out Canada for personal benefit? If there are, there's no evidence of that in the full report."

She also said she did not read any specific reference to the Senate in the report.

Wait a second.  Is there a party with numerous issues over the last 5 years with nominations?  Both leadership and regular MP?

I think there is

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's rather convient how much housing prices jump after 2015. What happened that year again?

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/average-house-prices

yeah Harper really kept a lid on equity <insert eye roll>. The feds can't tell the provinces how to set land prices, but you know this.

So how about that Lizzy, eh? no "there" there again with Skippy ranting about things. 

Just now, Warhippy said:

Wait a second.  Is there a party with numerous issues over the last 5 years with nominations?  Both leadership and regular MP?

I think there is

one who likes to sell memberships in bulk form? 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

it has to be rent control. $2k for a 1 bedroom apartment is nuts, and pretty much usury. 

But then I would sell my hypothetical large home near a college campus to another owner, thus taking it out of the rent pool altogether, cuz rent control is profit control and i can make more buying GEN on the TSX today than i would renting out my house with controls on it. It is a tough balance and thus why it is in the situation it is. Let the Free Market decide seems to be the mantra of the right wing until the free market prices them out of something, then they want Big GUbment to do something. lulz. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed, and I'd rather the pressure to be cutting back on existing funding if they're not building residences.  I also want to invest in more military housing.  

yep. The uni's have got out of control with their spending and tuition charges. Take a walk around UBC and compare it to something like BCIT. Tell me how some of those UBC buildings are justified costs when no one can live on campus.