Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

But then I would sell my hypothetical large home near a college campus to another owner, thus taking it out of the rent pool altogether, cuz rent control is profit control and i can make more buying GEN on the TSX today than i would renting out my house with controls on it. It is a tough balance and thus why it is in the situation it is. Let the Free Market decide seems to be the mantra of the right wing until the free market prices them out of something, then they want Big GUbment to do something. lulz. 

the bill has to come due for the equity party we all enjoyed being in the market for. Our kids are fucked out of places to rent, but hey we got our bit. We can do better than this. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

good to post the title

Green Leader Elizabeth May says there's no list of disloyal MPs in unredacted NSICOP report

May says she was 'relieved' after reading top-secret information

Done. :classic_wink:

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I mean i you ONLY look at 2015 on it sure looks funny doesnt it?

But if you look further back it appears as though it happened regardless.

Amazingly enough, it appears as though housing in BC was actually declining in price for a few years prior to covid.  But we won't talk about that will we?  Doesn't suit the narrative.  We'll also ignore how housing prices have been spoken about as unaffordable, dangerous and more since around 2004 because again; narrative.

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.49.08 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-11 at 12.50.29 PM.png

In the very graph you have provided it's basically flat from 2011 to 2014, after 2015 starts to jump up. Not seeing how this proves anything for you

Especially in b.c. where I'm assuming the vast majority who post here are from

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

In the very graph you have provided it's basically flat from 2011 to 2014, after 2015 starts to jump up. Not seeing how this proves anything for you

So what do you think it proves, exactly? 

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That housing prices weren't already on the  dramatic upswing the other poster is claiming?

Where did the other poster claim that prices were  already on a 'dramatic' upswing?

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

For you? Clearly nothing, as you got yours. For the rest of the people who don't? A change in government most likely 

I don't like what happened to people screwed out of the market, Rick, my kid is one of them. 

But to blame it on Trudeau, and to then think PP can fix it, is childish. 

Everyone, from the buyers, sellers, provinces, etc. enjoying the huge equity rise and associated taxes. BC collected billions in home transfer taxes and were happy to rake that all in. Absolutely no one was going to do anything, particularly boomers who suddenly saw a path to a well funded retirement they could never have dreamed of.

So tell me then, how is PP going to reverse all this for you?

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Also: only 31k per person to be debt free Nationally? Sign me up, i will pay if you will. 

I'd be tempted to do this- provided the constitution/laws were changed  to severely restrict Government's ability to run a deficit budget.

Unless it is a national/worldwide emergency or the like.

4 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

For you? Clearly nothing, as you got yours. For the rest of the people who don't? A change in government most likely 

Don't assume a perceived greed is the only motive for holding a position.  I own my home and my mortgage is paid off.  Does that mean I don't care?   I do BTW and not only for my two sons in their twenties.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't like what happened to people screwed out of the market, Rick, my kid is one of them. 

But to blame it on Trudeau, and to then think PP can fix it, is childish. 

Everyone, from the buyers, sellers, provinces, etc. enjoying the huge equity rise and associated taxes. BC collected billions in home transfer taxes and were happy to rake that all in. Absolutely no one was going to do anything, particularly boomers who suddenly saw a path to a well funded retirement they could never have dreamed of.

So tell me then, how is PP going to reverse all this for you?

I obviously can't speak for everyone but for me, it's not about blaming Trudeau. It's about wanting new ideas, new approaches and new views on how to solve the problem. Its clear at this point the current government doesn't have the ability or will to work on the issues. Time to try a different approach 

15 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

In the very graph I provided it actually drops from 2018 and 2019 down to arly 2017 levels but we won't talk about that will we?

And we also will ignore ALL of the links showing how the entire financial community across the globe stated Canada had a housing and housing price crises as far back as 2008/2009 because of convenience.

But look, LOOK...this graph here shows I am right as long as you ignore all of the other data right Ricky?

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I obviously can't speak for everyone but for me, it's not about blaming Trudeau. It's about wanting new ideas, new approaches and new views on how to solve the problem. Its clear at this point the current government doesn't have the ability or will to work on the issues. Time to try a different approach 

So for new ideas, a new approach and new views; you will champion a guy who has been in office for over 20 years who failed at housing etc during his time in parliament and also kind of failed at almost every problem he tackled and is currently blaming Turdeau for?

I also like raw dogging my ex and telling people I am moving on

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I'm all for new ideas and approaches.  This is one worth looking into:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/headway/100000009487143/inside-a-factory-where-a-home-is-made-every-30-minutes.html

https://www.dwell.com/article/prefab-homes-scandinavia-765e7456

https://builtoffsite.com.au/emag/issue-05/sweden-became-home-prefab/

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So for new ideas, a new approach and new views; you will champion a guy who has been in office for over 20 years who failed at housing etc during his time in parliament and also kind of failed at almost every problem he tackled and is currently blaming Turdeau for?

I also like raw dogging my ex and telling people I am moving on

Voting for Trudeau multiple times isn't much different 

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

That would be fine if the ideas were better.  PP is openly campaigning to make things worse.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Housing prices are a private sector issue.  Government has ZERO control over that. 

You don't actually believe the federal government has zero control over housing prices do you? Many businesses recorded record profits during covid due to government aid and price increases. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Covid spending was done at the behest of ALL parties via ALL party consent via UNANIMOUS decision between ALL parties because the alternative was watching the entirety of the nation's small businesses fail within three months 

Complain all your like, no single person or party is guilty of the level of spending seen over 30 months between 2020 and late 2022

The large increase in profitability following the COVID-19 pandemic stands out. The profit margin increased from 11.3% in 2020q1 to 19.2% in 2021q2.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/notes/feds-notes/corporate-profits-in-the-aftermath-of-covid-19-20230908.html#:~:text=The large increase in profitability,after the Global Financial Crisis.

The TSX stock market has also increased from 17,000 to just under 22,000 since 2020

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Voting for Trudeau multiple times isn't much different 

No argument, but then I am simple enough to believe that voting in a guy who has been effectively a taxpayer leech for over 20 years; who has failed numerous times while holding majorities to get anything done; will somehow have new ideas, new approaches or new views

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It makes me a little sad that this is what it comes to, to get affordable housing built, but it's better than nothing 

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

It makes me a little sad that this is what it comes to, to get affordable housing built, but it's better than nothing 

Why so sad?   I found those homes to look better than I would have expected.

People with money will still pay for beautiful houses in beautiful areas.   We need homes for people with less money.

There are  a few homes still standing in my area that were built for WWII vets.  They are small, a bit ugly. and all look virtually the same.  They served a good purpose though.

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The Federal Government that was handing out money like Candy, then management of big companies gave theyselves nice bonuses. 

A more considered response free of liberal hatred would have been appreciated.  It's a complex problem and I think that answer was a bit simplistic.

If that seemed like a personal attack I apologize.  But that's what I think of the post while still respecting the poster. 

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A more considered response free of liberal hatred would have been appreciated.  It's a complex problem and I think that answer was a bit simplistic.

If that seemed like a personal attack I apologize.  But that's what I think of the post while still respecting the poster. 

It was not supposed to be hateful, I'm just not sure who else you can really blame. A profit margin increase from 11.3% in 2020q1 to 19.2% in 2021q2 is a massive increase during a time of great hardship for the public. Those programs were short sighted and not well thought out in my opinion, not really fair to the average joe who is left with the bill while the rich pocketed all the cash. Action was definitely needed due to covid, but $350 billion is a lot of money to throw around willy nilly and could have helped a lot of people who are struggling out there.