Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Price increase During Harper Gov: 125%

Price increase during Trudeau Gov: 64%

Am i not allowed to 'do' comparisons for the sake of bringing some reality to the discussion? And you know perfectly well I am laughing at the talking point of the guy I was replying to, not laughing at hungry people. but you do you man, you are good at it. 

The price increase is irrelevant. There are other factors involved that make housing unaffordable. At the end of the day, you need to be making $200-300k a year today just to be able to afford your mortgage payments for a detached home. That wasn’t the case under Harper or anyone else. 

And for the record alot of the issues in terms of housing unaffordabilty in BC today was due to the BC Liberal party. So I’m on the record as saying the provincial Liberals really put a screw to us and to future generations. The NDP hasn’t really helped much either. 

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm not that fond of May.  Neither do I really consider myself one of 'you guys' or 'those guys' or anyone but me.  

She had a stroke.  Making fun of that will get called out.

I’m not referring to you specifically. You are even keeled in every thread you participate in. Some of the others though are pretty funny with their comments. They seem to have a moral compass only when it suits them. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How about you just own your own mistakes?

I’ve read enough posts in the US thread to know that the ones who seem to have a high moral compass only due so when it suits them and when it’s for people that they like. Otherwise they don’t care what they call others. 

For the record, I didn’t know she had a stroke and I literally don’t even have an issue with Elizabeth May. If she did have a stroke then I hope she gets better. 

So at least I can admit when I’m wrong. Now tell the others that you keep defending to do the same thing. But I can guarantee they won’t. 

FYI, has another poster ever called you an ***hole and a POS?  I highly doubt it. I never would no matter what you said to me. But look at the moral compass those posters have and get back to me on it. 

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The price increase is irrelevant.  At the end of the day, you need to be making $200-300k a year

price increases are irrelevant to how much a mortgage costs? You are much better than that as a statement. lol 
I am being sincere, I appreciate your perspective and thoughts and posts. I don't agree with much of them, but I appreciate them, I think you are a smart fella, but you choose to sound a little less intelligent hoping to advance your case at times. Of course the 125% increase led to higher prices just like the 64% increase has led to higher prices..
...this current 5 or 6 % mortgage interest level is nothing compared to historical prices on borrowing money. 

Historically the mortgage rates today are low compared to anything before 2009. I am looking at a chart from 1975 to 2024 as i type this. Two years of increases from the historically lowest mortgage rates in my lifetime..and we are already down a tick from the worst of it. All this after covid years where people fled the cities in mass numbers. 

Anyways, you get the idea, enjoy your night.

EDIT: i had a brain drizzle: perhaps the historically low costs of borrowing are to blame for the incredible leaps and bounds that the housing market has taken? If it was harder and more expensive to get a mortgage, i imagine more housing would be on the market and the diluting of that market would weaken pricing, but what do i know. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’ve read enough posts in the US thread to know that the ones who seem to have a high moral compass only due so when it suits them and when it’s for people that they like. Otherwise they don’t care what they call others. 

For the record, I didn’t know she had a stroke and I literally don’t even have an issue with Elizabeth May. If she did have a stroke then I hope she gets better. 

So at least I can admit when I’m wrong. Now tell the others that you keep defending to do the same thing. But I can guarantee they won’t. 

FYI, has another poster ever called you an ***hole and a POS?  I highly doubt it. I never would no matter what you said to me. But look at the moral compass those posters have and get back to me on it. 

Well, if I'm honest, I often can be an asshole.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Well, if I'm honest, I often can be an asshole.

We’ve had our heated moments Bob. You even put me on ignore for awhile. During that whole time did I ever attack you personally?  I never did. I know I didn’t because I’ve never attacked anyone personally on CDC or CFF. That’s why I have a clean record. Attack the post. Not the poster. Look back at the last few pages and see if I ever attacked anyone personally. Then look at all the vitriol thrown my way. You are intelligent enough to figure it out Bob. I know you are. 

• Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, Satchmo said:

We can all argue about the opinions Fraser Institute and get nowhere.  We've done that before and got nowhere.

If they are going to say that X dollars were wasted should they not explain how and why they reached that conclusion?

Anyway, perhaps my original question was too vague.   I just wondered if we can't blame everything on the pandemic, how much can we blame?  Some things? None? 

I see now I'm likely to get a slew of differing opinions, some valid, some not, some snippy.  I should have just realized that before I posed the question.    

With a global aging population, climate change and the invasion of Ukraine and mess in the Middle East, this was always going to be a tough time economically, especially for lower income and younger folks. COVID sure didn't help. But those problems were coming regardless. 

Somebody with way more free time can figure how much blame those things each deserve. And even if they do, not sure that actually helps us fix anything. 

And regardless, it's just plain ignorant to lay those myriad global issues at a minority government, in Canada.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, bolt said:

So Elizabeth May reads the un-redacted report, says good news, there was no list of names, then proceeds to tell us there was an MP who was sharing information with a foreign Government, and there are politicians who benefited from foreign interference in their elections.

She's a politician not exactly trust worthy 

So how do you feel about one who lies about their voting record, their successes and their cabinet positions after say...two decades or so in office?

Trustworthy or?

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

price increases are irrelevant to how much a mortgage costs? You are much better than that as a statement. lol 
I am being sincere, I appreciate your perspective and thoughts and posts. I don't agree with much of them, but I appreciate them, I think you are a smart fella, but you choose to sound a little less intelligent hoping to advance your case at times. Of course the 125% increase led to higher prices just like the 64% increase has led to higher prices..
...this current 5 or 6 % mortgage interest level is nothing compared to historical prices on borrowing money. 

Historically the mortgage rates today are low compared to anything before 2009. I am looking at a chart from 1975 to 2024 as i type this. Two years of increases from the historically lowest mortgage rates in my lifetime..and we are already down a tick from the worst of it. All this after covid years where people fled the cities in mass numbers. 

Anyways, you get the idea, enjoy your night.

EDIT: i had a brain drizzle: perhaps the historically low costs of borrowing are to blame for the incredible leaps and bounds that the housing market has taken? If it was harder and more expensive to get a mortgage, i imagine more housing would be on the market and the diluting of that market would weaken pricing, but what do i know. 

Yes, price increases are irrelevant if inflation keeps up with demand.  If wages were going up at the same rate as house prices, then price wouldn't matter.  What was the average person making in 2005 when house prices were $500k?  Then look at today and what is the average person making versus house prices?  Notice a difference?  

Also, when you are looking at mortgage rates, you need to look at total cost for the purchaser.  If you bought a house in 1981 for $80k and your mortgage rate was 21%, do the math on what your total monthly cost was versus your yearly income.  Then do the same calculation now.  Notice a difference?  I don't have to run the numbers because I already have them in my head and I know what the differences are and so do you.

Also, I never said house prices went up less under Harper, you are the one that brought that up and used a whataboutism to compare to the last 9 years under Trudeau.  I even admitted that alot of what happened to house prices in BC was attributed to the BC Liberal party under Christy Clark and to a lesser extent under Gordon Campbell.  Allowing all the foreigners to scoop up presales and flip properties without any tax repercussions was absolutely a driving force behind the housing crisis.  Only when people caught on and Clark instituted a foreign buyers tax and some other regulations did things stabilize somewhat.  But the damage had already been done.

I never ever said that the Conservatives are going to fix everything.  I keep telling anyone that will listen that I voted Liberal most of my adult life, and if the Liberals were to get rid of Trudeau and bring in Jean Chretien 2.0 I most certainly would vote for them again.  The problem we are having is that you actually like Trudeau, which is why we have our differences. It has nothing to do with the Liberal party itself.  Most of the people I know who voted for Trudeau in the past are not going to be voting for him again.  Heck, most of the people in this thread aren't either.  

So maybe he should do the right thing and resign and let someone else run the Liberal party instead of wanting to be a dictator and be Prime Minister forever.  Even Chretien resigned after his 3rd term and 10 years...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

Almost half of Canadians think country should cut immigration, says polling

Housing affordability woes spark debate

https://www.biv.com/news/commentary/almost-half-of-canadians-think-country-should-cut-immigration-says-polling-9064827

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think our immigration levels are out of control with respect to the housing situation. We also need to be targeting skilled workers for those we do let in: more doctors, nurses, construction workers, etc., and fewer taxi drivers, Timmies workers, skip the dishes drivers, and so on. Immigration in general is a good thing, but a country of 40 million people in a housing crisis should not be accepting 1 million people a year. I don't understand the imperative to have so many people coming into Canada right now.

• Cheers 3

54 minutes ago, 112 said:

https://www.biv.com/news/commentary/almost-half-of-canadians-think-country-should-cut-immigration-says-polling-9064827

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think our immigration levels are out of control with respect to the housing situation. We also need to be targeting skilled workers for those we do let in: more doctors, nurses, construction workers, etc., and fewer taxi drivers, Timmies workers, skip the dishes drivers, and so on. Immigration in general is a good thing, but a country of 40 million people in a housing crisis should not be accepting 1 million people a year. I don't understand the imperative to have so many people coming into Canada right now.

I doubt you're in the minority....I think a lot of people feel that we should maybe put the brakes on immigration somewhat....

It's just that unlike our neighbors to the South, very few are demonizing immigrants and/or calling for draconian measures, such as mass deportations or complete border closures....

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 112 said:

Quite a few of those people doing unskilled labour are only doing so because their qualifications aren't recognized here.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Gotta love good ol' professional protectionism. :classic_ninja:

A family friend was asked to take a course as a refresher for her profession when she immigrated here.  She was the one teaching the course.

• ThereItIs 1

On 6/10/2024 at 7:30 PM, Ricky Ravioli said:

Age does not equal wisdom or life experience.

Quite right about age not equaling wisdom but in general you missed the boat on experience. Age means that you’ve experienced many different highs and lows in the economy, lifestyle, world events and their influences on Canada, changes in maps & forms of government, medical & scientific advances, on and on….

Does it make one wiser or their opinion special? Certainly not but it does give one points of reference so that when we hear things like “Canada is a laughing stock” or “Hairboy is the worst PM in history” or “Canada is broken”  or “my freedoms” and other such tripe it’s easy to see it for what it is. 

Many of us have lived through worse economies, worse unemployment, worse mortgage rates…worse times and harder challenges.
Don’t sell short on life experience. The experiences you are living now will give you a better perspective down the road and when someone tells you that it counts for little you will see it for the bs that it is.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Quite right about age not equaling wisdom but in general you missed the boat on experience. Age means that you’ve experienced many different highs and lows in the economy, lifestyle, world events and their influences on Canada, changes in maps & forms of government, medical & scientific advances, on and on….

Does it make one wiser or their opinion special? Certainly not but it does give one points of reference so that when we hear things like “Canada is a laughing stock” or “Hairboy is the worst PM in history” or “Canada is broken”  or “my freedoms” and other such tripe it’s easy to see it for what it is. 

Many of us have lived through worse economies, worse unemployment, worse mortgage rates…worse times and harder challenges.
Don’t sell short on life experience. The experiences you are living now will give you a better perspective down the road and when someone tells you that it counts for little you will see it for the bs that it is.

Psh.  Who needs experience when you can just live off rage?  :classic_rolleyes:

:hurhur:

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I've heard that "age doesn't equal wisdom or experience" before.....

....usually from people who have neither....

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We’ve had our heated moments Bob. You even put me on ignore for awhile. During that whole time did I ever attack you personally?  I never did. I know I didn’t because I’ve never attacked anyone personally on CDC or CFF. That’s why I have a clean record. Attack the post. Not the poster. Look back at the last few pages and see if I ever attacked anyone personally. Then look at all the vitriol thrown my way. You are intelligent enough to figure it out Bob. I know you are. 

I never "attacked you".  I just think it is below you to make fun of someone's drinking problems (if she even has one).   I enjoy reading your opinions on things especially your financial insights.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Would you ask Don Cherry his opinion on race relations or immigration? My guess is probably not... I'm just saying, just because you are of a certain age, doesn't mean that experience is necessary good or accurate.

27 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I've heard that "age doesn't equal wisdom or experience" before.....

....usually from people who have neither....

Let's see. Checks notes. Poster gets mad that another poster implies that a mp is drunk.

Poster turns around an then implies another poster is stupid. You can't make this shit up 🤣 

• ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Would you ask Don Cherry his opinion on race relations or immigration? My guess is probably not... I'm just saying, just because you are of a certain age, doesn't mean that experience is necessary good or accurate.

This looks like another battle that no one will win.  Maybe we can all agree that age does not guarantee wisdom. It's pretty much a given that it brings life experience though (unless you spend years in a coma).

Don Cherry is an exception to many rules btw.  

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Let's see. Checks notes. Poster gets mad that another poster implies that a mp is drunk.

Poster turns around an then implies another poster is stupid. You can't make this shit up 🤣 

There's a difference between being "stupid" and lacking wisdom.....

Guess that wasn't in the "notes"....