Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I always enjoy watching the debates in the House of Commons. 

it truly shows how the liberal party loves to deflect and avoid answering questions

here you see a question about the green slush fund scandal where $319 million of taxpayer money was pilfered 

and the response - screaming about climate change, not the issue at hand 

our taxpayer dollars at work - just one of many scandals of the Trudeau govt 

PPs questions are about the same level as "when did you stop hitting your wife?"

You post this stuff because you can't post a real plan.

22 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

No debate lost 

please explain to me how the liberal govt has improved the economic lives of Canadians over their period in office 

When you can’t, you’ll have to accept I won the debate 

A bit of a loaded question. Globally very few countries have really improved.  You have mentioned the pandemic.  Let's not forget the havoc Russia has provided since 2020. 

Look at the short list countries doing well:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked-the-fastest-growing-economies-in-2024/

And where Canada sits amongst those doing not so well:

https://gfmag.com/data/countries-lowest-gdp-growth/

I'd be curious to know what you think will improve matters and why you think so.

18 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A bit of a loaded question. Globally very few countries have really improved.  You have mentioned the pandemic.  Let's not forget the havoc Russia has provided since 2020. 

Look at the short list countries doing well:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/ranked-the-fastest-growing-economies-in-2024/

And where Canada sits amongst those doing not so well:

https://gfmag.com/data/countries-lowest-gdp-growth/

I'd be curious to know what you think will improve matters and why you think so.

All of the G8 countries have changed leadership since 2017 except France, Canada and Russia. France is holding elections in 3 weeks and it’s expected Macron will be losing in a landslide based on last week’s EU numbers. So that leaves Canada and Russia. Russia is a dictatorship so it’s impossible for Putin to lose. Is Canada also a dictatorship? 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

All of the G8 countries have changed leadership since 2015 except France, Canada and Russia. France is holding elections in 3 weeks and it’s expected Macron will be losing in a landslide based on last week’s EU numbers. So that leaves Canada and Russia. Russia is a dictatorship so it’s impossible for Putin to lose. Is Canada also a dictatorship? 

No.  The answers is obvious which leads me to ask:  What is the point behind the question?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

No.  The answers is obvious which leads me to ask:  What is the point behind the question?

The point is unless you are a dictatorship every country runs through their cycle of leadership. Canada’s cycle has run its course like every other country. It’s time for a change. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The point is unless you are a dictatorship every country runs through their cycle of leadership. Canada’s cycle has run its course like every other country. It’s time for a change. 

Cool, diaper politics.

Your dislike for Justin seems to have dulled your need to see what a viable alternative would be.

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Sorry Rupert. Losing my mind on these things. My bad, cheers.

(Addressing each bolded as 1/2/3) 

1) correct on both. Ultimately I think politicians are not worthy of giving the benefit of the doubt - regardless of party. i don't mean this as a partisan statement at all. Both federal & provincial leaders are paid hundred(s) of thousands to managing millions/billions worth of 'portfolios' (tax payer dollars), the incentives are clear, your worth more holding & exploiting that position than we are paying them to do it. Not saying every single move is corrupt or that their aren't some well meaning people (most of the best are at lower levels) but the incentives in gaining/maintaining power are very clear imo

2) he's a writer for the Toronto Sun

3) play on words I suppose. I think we could both agree it's not particularly important (or atleast that's it's a legacy media writer trying to be snappy)

1)  dont trust or like politicians either. Just wondered if there was anything concrete that Lorrie knew about if they will be procescucted.

2) surprised to hear he is an actual journo with tweets like that. More into his political points and stirring the pot than integirty maybe? 

3) I dont know. Some pointed out the way he spelled it was a diss.

Speaking of dissing... do you want to apologise for  "'Kanata', which is apparently an indigenous name, tho I guess its not surprising this is something new to progressives"

Why did you feel the need to say that? Or can you explain why you feel progessives might be  ignorant to indigenous people? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

1)  dont trust or like politicians either. Just wondered if there was anything concrete that Lorrie knew about if they will be procescucted.

2) surprised to hear he is an actual journo with tweets like that. More into his political points and stirring the pot than integirty maybe? 

3) I dont know. Some pointed out the way he spelled it was a diss.

Speaking of dissing... do you want to apologise for  "'Kanata', which is apparently an indigenous name, tho I guess its not surprising this is something new to progressives"

Why did you feel the need to say that? Or can you explain why you feel progessives might be  ignorant to indigenous people? 

Well....it is the Toronto Sun.... :classic_unsure:

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Cool, diaper politics.

Your dislike for Justin seems to have dulled your need to see what a viable alternative would be.

Not sure what you mean by diaper politics. It’s a fact that every country has changed leadership since 2017 except Canada. France will be changing it up in 3 weeks. There is a reason why other countries have term limits. So we don’t end up like Russia. 

Just because you don’t like PP doesn’t mean you get to decide who runs the country. Trudy has run his course. Maybe you can start a petition to have him resign so someone else can be Prime Minister. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh.  I might ask how a change to PP's land of vague promises will actually improve things but I think I'd rather just not bother.  None of the answers I've heard so far have been helpful in making me understand his grand plan.  I can understand how 'Drill baby, drill' might lead to a few short term financial benefits but that's about it. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure what you mean by diaper politics.

"Time for a change" 

That isn't a reason to jump to something worse.

It’s a fact that every country has changed leadership since 2017 except Canada. France will be changing it up in 3 weeks. There is a reason why other countries have term limits. So we don’t end up like Russia. 

Just because you don’t like PP doesn’t mean you get to decide who runs the country. Trudy has run his course. Maybe you can start a petition to have him resign so someone else can be Prime Minister. 

I get to decide as much as you do.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Not sure what you mean by diaper politics. It’s a fact that every country has changed leadership since 2017 except Canada. France will be changing it up in 3 weeks. There is a reason why other countries have term limits. So we don’t end up like Russia. 

But there will be a change. Are there many that dont think that?

The only one in the way of that is PP. As I have said , he sometimes seems to be trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Do you think his approach of hate slinging, 'canada is broken', victimhood, stuff will apeal to more people. I see the stats OP posts and it seems PP's numbers are slipping.

Do you think that is because of what I mention? dont you think he should maybe relax a bit and act a bit more positive and unifying?

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

Oh.  I might ask how a change to PP's land of vague promises will actually improve things but I think I'd rather just not bother.  None of the answers I've heard so far have been helpful in making me understand his grand plan.  I can understand how 'Drill baby, drill' might lead to a few short term financial benefits but that's about it. 

Yeah I wouldn’t bother asking. Reason why is because nobody can predict the future so we don’t really know how a Conservative government will change things. Of course posters can speculate which is what’s been happening in this thread for the last 643 pages. 

Yeah I wouldn’t bother asking. Reason why is because nobody can predict the future so we don’t really know how a Conservative government will change things. Of course posters can speculate which is what’s been happening in this thread for the last 643 pages. 

The main thing I get from this post is the fact that you are finally admitting you can't predict the future!

(Hope that is taken as the joke it was meant to be.)

Edited by Satchmo
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

But there will be a change. Are there many that dont think that?

The only one in the way of that is PP. As I have said , he sometimes seems to be trying to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Do you think his approach of hate slinging, 'canada is broken', victimhood, stuff will apeal to more people. I see the stats OP posts and it seems PP's numbers are slipping.

Do you think that is because of what I mention? dont you think he should maybe relax a bit and act a bit more positive and unifying?

I have no idea where OP gets his numbers from as he never posts a direct link. 338Canada is an independent site that has been very accurate about many previous elections. It is considered the gold standard of polls. You can look for yourself. Do these numbers look any different to you?

As for PP, it seems he is looking at a majority government so seems alot of people are going to vote for him regardless of his actions and his rhetoric. If the Liberal party actually changed leadership I don’t think PP wins the election. 

IMG_1579.png

IMG_1578.png

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We can assume it's going to be worse based on Poilivre being an evil bigot. He's done nothing to indicate that he's earned the right to be treated the same as actual people.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How do you know it’s going to be worse?  Can you predict the future? 

Too many factors out of Canada’s control to accurately predict our economic future. What we can control is producing more oil and gas, and mining more, and expanding forestry, and then using our resources to build sh*t here, and then sell sh*t offshore. Pump, dig, chop, manufacture and sell. We have way too many resources to be slowing the “harvest”. We need to be expanding! IMHAO there’s too much “tree hugging” getting in the way. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Too many factors out of Canada’s control to accurately predict our economic future. What we can control is producing more oil and gas, and mining more, and expanding forestry, and then using our resources to build sh*t here, and then sell sh*t offshore. Pump, dig, chop, manufacture and sell. We have way too many resources to be slowing the “harvest”. We need to be expanding! IMHAO there’s too much “tree hugging” getting in the way. 

Well said Alf. For such a resource rich nation we have historically been pathetic in managing the use of them.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

We can assume it's going to be worse based on Poilivre being an evil bigot. He's done nothing to indicate that he belongs anywhere other than prison .

A bit harsh Heffy.  He's done nothing to indicate he should be Prime Minister but I'm not sure what he's done to deserve a prison term.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

As for PP, it seems he is looking at a majority government so seems alot of people are going to vote for him regardless of his actions and his rhetoric. If the Liberal party actually changed leadership I don’t think PP wins the election. 

I'll leave the stats convo to you an OP...

but thanks for saying this...

It's kinda what I am seeing, he seems to be needlessly alienating a big group of voters. 

I will never see Canada in a bad light and I will never take up a weak victim mentality. I will stay in this country ( with my massive net worth) and be part of what can get us through these growing pains. 

I am surprised that you think the Libs would win with a different leader. I've wanted them to do that for a while but I wonder if the damage is now already done. JT has overstayed his welcome and lost the room. The idea that you think he is the only reason that the Libs will lose is interesting or/and that you think most Canadians want a Lib government if wasn't for him. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Haha. You quoted him before he had time to edit his post.  Now it’s on the record.  🤣

My apologies to Heffy.  I should have known he would.

4 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Well said Alf. For such a resource rich nation we have historically been pathetic in managing the use of them.

You can thank right wing politics (and rich Americans duping them) for that largely.

The right is the anti union, off shore manufacturing, race to the bottom, let the eastern bastards freeze in the dark group that's meant we don't have nice things.

• Upvote 1