Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

And you really thought I was being serious?   I was just trying my hardest to be civil and make light of things.    

He knows that.

Intellectual honesty. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

You've been casting your assumptions about a lot of people in here and displaying a lack of intellectual honesty for a couple days now.

Thats on you. If you want real conversation, maybe you could have some self reflection on your approach. I wont hold my breath.

I dunno, I was kinda hoping my dead mother would pay my bills for me somehow.  Really wondering what this Mensa candidate's plan to make that happen for me was since I apparently don't pay my own bills.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I dunno, I was kinda hoping my dead mother would pay my bills for me somehow.  Really wondering what this Mensa candidate's plan to make that happen for me was since I apparently don't pay my own bills.

Knowing a bunch of posters from this site for well over a decade (CFF/CDC) I got a bit of a kick out of how much he missed the mark on the audience when he stormed in here. 

If he wants to 'debate' with youngsters...I'm sure there's an app for that. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Knowing a bunch of posters from this site for well over a decade (CFF/CDC) I got a bit of a kick out of how much he missed the mark on the audience when he stormed in here. 

If he wants to 'debate' with youngsters...I'm sure there's an app for that. 

Things used to get really crazy around this time with school getting out.  I can't say I miss that, but I'm surprised to see middle school students claiming to have Masters degrees.  Hopefully someone teaches them those aren't hereditary next year.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I can't see how those graphs make it self explanatory on how to improve things and why.    I was hoping for words and an economist's insight.  

cheers.

It's actually quite self-explanatory.  The first graph is advising us of all of the spending that has been happening by the Trudeau government since 2015.  So, naturally, in order to decrease the deficit, we need to DECREASE spending.  Even Chretien was able to figure this out with a very competent finance minister in Paul Martin.  How do we decrease the spending?  Well, eliminating slush funds and ArriveSman apps would be a start.  Get rid of the wasteful spending first.  Then focus on cutting spending everywhere.  This is what Chretien did.  If you want an idea on what Chretien and Martin did to get rid of the entire deficit, here is a summary:

Jean Chretien: Lessons from Canada's 'basket case' moment | Financial Post

This is what they told Paul Martin when they were in the middle of cutting spending to most government programs:

“We told him you are still a Liberal but you have to be a small ‘c’ fiscal conservative to be a nice good Liberal.”

As for the last graph, that is also self-explanatory.  How do you increase GDP?  Well, Alf already brought that up.  Lumber exports, oil and gas.  Use our resources to the maximum.  Forget about the tree huggers.  In this climate, you have to be ruthless, you can't just please everybody as everyone has an agenda for themselves...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Beep boop logic 

here’s some help

maybe Trudy should have appointed an economist or banker to be finance minister, instead of a journalist with no education or experience in either 😂 

self explanatory 

inflationary spending by the Trudy govt has been the cause of the economic problems 

stop doing it and show some restraint vs spending like drunk trust fund babies with OUR money 

we’ve established I have an econ degree, and I also have masters and other financial certifications. You and your friend seem oddly obsessed with it.

Cheers 

None of what you describe as self explanatory actually is and only you have 'established' your extensive education.

I took you off my ignore list earlier today in hopes a mod had spoken to you and you would begin to discuss things while being less of a ficking idiom. (I turned my spell check off for that and will forgo my usual proofreading.)   Back on ignore you go. Flame away.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's actually quite self-explanatory.  The first graph is advising us of all of the spending that has been happening by the Trudeau government since 2015.  So, naturally, in order to decrease the deficit, we need to DECREASE spending.  Even Chretien was able to figure this out with a very competent finance minister in Paul Martin.  How do we decrease the spending?  Well, eliminating slush funds and ArriveSman apps would be a start.  Get rid of the wasteful spending first.  Then focus on cutting spending everywhere.  This is what Chretien did.  If you want an idea on what Chretien and Martin did to get rid of the entire deficit, here is a summary:

This is what they told Paul Martin when they were in the middle of cutting spending to most government programs:

“We told him you are still a Liberal but you have to be a small ‘c’ fiscal conservative to be a nice good Liberal.”

As for the last graph, that is also self-explanatory.  How do you increase GDP?  Well, Alf already brought that up.  Lumber exports, oil and gas.  Use our resources to the maximum.  Forget about the tree huggers.  In this climate, you have to be ruthless, you can't just please everybody as everyone has an agenda for themselves...

I don't agree with the self-explanatory description of those graphs. Whatever.

I am well aware of what Chretien and Martin did and how they did it.  When they did it too, which matters.    

I'll await the day you and Alf convince me to be ruthless.   I have voiced my interest in wise and responsible use of resources.

I could have handled - though not fully agreed with - a response like that from Armchair.  I asked for it but it never came.

• Cheers 2

Justin Trudeau claims he likes earth but Justin Trudeau once kicked a rock. Pierre Poilievre refuses to kick rocks, even when voters told him to and his own self in his early 20's wrote a paper on how he should kick rocks after two terms in elected office. 

Pierre Poilevre: So Earth Friendly he won't kick a rock. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I don't agree with the self-explanatory description of those graphs. Whatever.

I am well aware of what Chretien and Martin did and how they did it.  When they did it too, which matters.    

I'll await the day you and Alf convince me to be ruthless.   I have voiced my interest in wise and responsible use of resources.

I could have handled - though not fully agreed with - a response like that from Armchair.  I asked for it but it never came.

Alf is a conservative who will not vote for his Con candidate because of Poo Poo. Yet, that does not concede there are millions of Canadians who will vote Con (knowing full well what Poo Poo is) because they are not doing well financially. The vast majority of people do not het college degrees and keep their hands clean at their jobs. Canadians, who work getting their hands dirty, need good paying jobs. And that means getting our response industry supporting the country again. No more “tree higher” obstacles to using our resources. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So what EXACTLY and how EXACTLY do you (PP) plan on cutting? Health care? Education? Veterans affairs? Part of the reason "left" governments end up spending more in those areas is to rectify the long term damage done from shortfalls of conservative governments. A great deal of those cuts end up costing us more in the long run. Cuts to social services just cost us more in policing and health care. Cuts to health care just cost more in the long run and or lead to privatization. Both bad for the public, particularly those of lower and moderate income. Which Conservatives are thrilled with as it just helps then push the privatization narrative. And it's easy to sell to gullible voters who don't want their tax dollars going to "government waste". Erosion of services, safety nets and privatization of what should be crown assets. Better for corporations and wealthy. Worse for everyone else. 

Cuts to education just leads to more conservative voters 🤪

I'd far rather see my tax dollars wasted on a new hospital than helping a CEO buy another yacht. YMMV.

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Profits over everything else is a large part of the reason we have a lot of these problems in the first place. There's ways to wisely manage our resources for the long term benefit of the country.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It sounds like a change, which you are advocating is needed regardless of whether it would be positive.  The alternative would be Trudeau or electing the neo-Nazi vermin you keep defending.

How is pollievre a neo Nazi?

I do enjoy seeing how everyone who doesn’t agree with the extreme left and their policies is all of a sudden hitler 

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I do enjoy seeing how everyone who doesn’t agree with the extreme left and their policies is all of a sudden hitler 

Maybe if you can explain why inflation is decreasing it would help?

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

So what EXACTLY and how EXACTLY do you (PP) plan on cutting? Health care? Education? Veterans affairs? Part of the reason "left" governments end up spending more in those areas is to rectify the long term damage done from shortfalls of conservative governments. A great deal of those cuts end up costing us more in the long run. Cuts to social services just cost us more in policing and health care. Cuts to health care just cost more in the long run and or lead to privatization. Both bad for the public, particularly those of lower and moderate income. Which Conservatives are thrilled with as it just helps then push the privatization narrative. And it's easy to sell to gullible voters who don't want their tax dollars going to "government waste". Erosion of services, safety nets and privatization of what should be crown assets. Better for corporations and wealthy. Worse for everyone else. 

Cuts to education just leads to more conservative voters 🤪

I'd far rather see my tax dollars wasted on a new hospital than helping a CEO buy another yacht. YMMV.

Profits over everything else is a large part of the reason we have a lot of these problems in the first place. There's ways to wisely manage our resources for the long term benefit of the country.

Of course we all know this to be what Poo Poo will do. Yet how do we explain so many Canadians will vote for a party with Poo Poo as their leader and (therefore) the future PM? 
IMHAO the answer is people are struggling financially because service jobs aren’t good enough. We need resource industry jobs. And left wing tree hugger types have ruined those industries. Do people are hopeful a Con government will bring back those good paying “dirty hands” jobs. 
Of course they won’t. They will do exactly as you’re suggesting. For average folks things will get worse because the Social safety net will get cut. 
So what do we do? Average Canadians are totally screwed regardless of who they vote for. 
We need a government that has the courage to stop pandering to the tree hugger philosophy and promote resource based jobs again. 

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Poo Poo is an idiot. The only reason he will get elected is people are struggling financially. Sadly those voters don’t realize Poo Poo will only make those voters’ financial situations worse by cutting the social safety net. The guy is 100% scum. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poo Poo is an idiot. The only reason he will get elected is people are struggling financially. Sadly those voters don’t realize Poo Poo will only make those voters’ financial situations worse by cutting the social safety net. The guy is 100% scum. 

Govt spends 

inflation 

interest rates rise 

borrows more to pay its bills 

more inflation 

raises taxes because it keeps spending when it should be showing restraint

thats why social safety nets get hurt 

you’re blaming the people who will have to fix the mess before it’s too late

You should be blaming the party that spends like drunken trust fund babies, of which many are 

which it may very well be already 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course we all know this to be what Poo Poo will do. Yet how do we explain so many Canadians will vote for a party with Poo Poo as their leader and (therefore) the future PM? 
IMHAO the answer is people are struggling financially because service jobs aren’t good enough. We need resource industry jobs. And left wing tree hugger types have ruined those industries. Do people are hopeful a Con government will bring back those good paying “dirty hands” jobs. 
Of course they won’t. They will do exactly as you’re suggesting. For average folks things will get worse because the Social safety net will get cut. 
So what do we do? Average Canadians are totally screwed regardless of who they vote for. 
We need a government that has the courage to stop pandering to the tree hugger philosophy and promote resource based jobs again. 

Sadly, a lot of those things could be rectified by people's own purchasing habits, but most of us are too addicted to cheap consumerist crap, and budgets too stained already, to make better choices there. 

Buy local and domestic. Don't support companies with poor worker compensation/treatment. Don't support companies with poor environmental records. That costs more. It's harder to do. It's less convenient. But it's arguably one of the biggest things we could do to improve our productivity and wage growth.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Govt spends 

inflation 

interest rates rise 

more inflation 

You should be blaming the party that spends like drunken trust fund babies, of which many are 

But inflation is decreasing.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf is a conservative who will not vote for his Con candidate because of Poo Poo. Yet, that does not concede there are millions of Canadians who will vote Con (knowing full well what Poo Poo is) because they are not doing well financially. The vast majority of people do not het college degrees and keep their hands clean at their jobs. Canadians, who work getting their hands dirty, need good paying jobs. And that means getting our response industry supporting the country again. No more “tree higher” obstacles to using our resources. 

I get it Alf.  Dirty hands are good and the answer to all of our problems.  I'm going to invest in soap stocks though because those people are still going to go out on weekends and they'll want to look good..

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Govt spends 

inflation 

interest rates rise 

more inflation 

Spending most of your life on a farm you learn that Poo Poo (could write sh*t, but don’t want to harm the tree huggers with nasty words) stinks. Poo Poo stinks. He’s a toilet. Those voting for him are expecting improvement to their financial situation because they are struggling now. They’re going to be sadly mistaken. Poo Poo isn’t the answer. The answer is not a coward but a brave leader who rebuilds our economy through our resources. Poo will doo doo what it takes to get votes. He’s a sham. 
Whst we need is for Poo Poo to get on the ring with Pretty Boy. Poo Poo would literally Poo Poo from fear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Spending most of your life on a farm you learn that Poo Poo (could write sh*t, but don’t want to harm the tree huggers with nasty words) stinks. Poo Poo stinks. He’s a toilet. Those voting for him are expecting improvement to their financial situation because they are struggling now. They’re going to be sadly mistaken. Poo Poo isn’t the answer. The answer is not a coward but a brave leader who rebuilds our economy through our resources. Poo will doo doo what it takes to get votes. He’s a sham. 
Whst we need is for Poo Poo to get on the ring with Pretty Boy. Poo Poo would literally Poo Poo from fear. 

Well that’s your opinion and I hope you’re wrong, but we can’t expect the people who made the mess to fix it 

they’ve shown they have no comprehension of how economics works and think endless spending is a solution to everything, including the problems caused from endless spending 

it’s insanity 

9 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I get it Alf.  Dirty hands are good and the answer to all of our problems.  I'm going to invest in soap stocks though because those people are still going to go out on weekends and they'll want to look good..

There are some excellent local artisan soap makers. 

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Well that’s your opinion and I hope you’re wrong, but we can’t expect the people who made the mess to fix it 

they’ve shown they have no comprehension of how economics works and think endless spending is a solution to everything, including the problems caused from endless spending 

it’s insanity 

You’re assuming it’s the current government who is responsible for the struggles of common folks. This spiral started many years ago and has been happening through several governments. Sadly in Canada we have been pandering to the tree hugger philosophy for decades. That’s why so many Canadians can’t find good paying jobs. The “dirty hands” jobs are fleeting and don’t pay well any more. 

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You’re assuming it’s the current government who is responsible for the struggles of common folks. This spiral started many years ago and has been happening through several governments. Sadly in Canada we have been pandering to the tree hugger philosophy for decades. That’s why so many Canadians can’t find good paying jobs. The “dirty hands” jobs are fleeting and don’t pay well any more. 

Not disputing previous govts haven’t been perfect

trudeau’s spending has destroyed the country for generations 

this is the cause Alf - and it’s only gotten worse. That’s from 2021 

IMG_7950.jpeg

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Cheers 1