Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Of course he does,and if it's all legal more power to him.

But just fyi a Burnaby school superintendent makes as much as our PM. 

A bit low.

He has a net worth of nearly $100,000,000. Why are we bringing up his salary? 

8 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I’ve spent hrs in the past posting data but now that the conservatives are going to out number all the parties combined I don’t care to waste my time. The consensus is arguing for me. If the liberal party was doing such a great job you’d see it in the approval rating and polls. 

Fair enough but my response wasn't about the liberals  doing a great job or approval ratings or polls.

• ThereItIs 1

27 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

lol, ya and JT is all for the people. Definitely doesn’t have his hands in anyone’s pockets. He can’t even run a marriage FFS. 

Your response has absolutely nothing to do with what i posted. If you're 'looking to bust balls for your own entertainment' do it elsewhere.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

You exaggerate by a factor of 10.

Trudeau's net worth is estimated at approximately $10M. Most of this wealth was not earned by him, it was inherited.

Edited by Satchmo

I have seen a few posts in here regarding the cause of inflation. Now mind you, I haven't bothered going back and reading 15 pages as was recommended by someone. I suppose all opinions are valid. Mine is based upon making a living full time in finance since 1998. Logging 40,000+ hours of screen time (got the wrecked eye sight to prove it) risking my own money in said markets. Being a life long student of financial markets etc.

IMO the cause of inflation was Covid albeit indirectly. There were 2 main contributing factors. #1) being a rapid expansion of the monetary supply #2) being a curtailing of manufacturing. Both these conditions were met during Covid.

There has been a massive expansion in monetary supply since The Great Recession (2009) but it never resulted in inflation even crossing 2%. I know because I was waiting 12 long years for inflation to show up. The reason it never showed up was because endless rounds of Quantitative Easing only directly benefits those with assets. The point of the entire program was to life asset prices, mainly real estate and equities. If you have assets you got the bailout of a lifetime. If you had/have no assets well 'screw you' was the governments thinking.

Starting with Covid and that round of massive monetary expansion all G-7 nations this time funnelled the money directly to the people. Who predicatively spent it with reckless abandon. Which of course is the definition of inflation - too much money in the system chasing too few goods. You saw it first with used cars and electronics. Manufacturing shut down or greatly curtailed meant new electronics/vehicles were scarce. It spread like wild fire from there.

That IMO was your cause of inflation. The endless looting of the Treasury finally made it down to the little guy not just the 'well off'. There's nothing inflationary about handing a rich guy millions of dollars and having him plow it into NVDA stock. There is with handing it to the little guy and having him spend it in the general economy.

It was actual trickle down economics on steroids not the bullshit line you've been fed for 40+ years by 'Fiscal Conservatives' as the wealth gap became a chasm.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

That is awesome Jim, thank you.

My wife was just telling me the other day that Elephants actually give each other names.

Love it. 

I'm betting "Fatso" and "Porky" were high on the list.....:classic_cool:

Was that insensitive of me....:classic_unsure:

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

lol, ya and JT is all for the people. Definitely doesn’t have his hands in anyone’s pockets. He can’t even run a marriage FFS. 

You just can't help yourself, can you....:picard:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Who the fuck "runs" a marriage anyway?  Seems pretty condescending towards the other partner who is supposed to be equal.

According to my wife, it isn't me....:classic_unsure:

• Haha 2
  • ThereItIs 1

No one has suggested covid didn’t impact inflation.

The spending since and increased carbon taxes have fanned the flames and made it worse, which has led to even higher interest rates which have hurt consumers and significantly curtailed business investment.

suggesting otherwise is ridiculous.

Edited by ArmchairGM22

8 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have seen a few posts in here regarding the cause of inflation. Now mind you, I haven't bothered going back and reading 15 pages as was recommended by someone. I suppose all opinions are valid. Mine is based upon making a living full time in finance since 1998. Logging 40,000+ hours of screen time (got the wrecked eye sight to prove it) risking my own money in said markets. Being a life long student of financial markets etc.

IMO the cause of inflation was Covid albeit indirectly. There were 2 main contributing factors. #1) being a rapid expansion of the monetary supply #2) being a curtailing of manufacturing. Both these conditions were met during Covid.

There has been a massive expansion in monetary supply since The Great Recession (2009) but it never resulted in inflation even crossing 2%. I know because I was waiting 12 long years for inflation to show up. The reason it never showed up was because endless rounds of Quantitative Easing only directly benefits those with assets. The point of the entire program was to life asset prices, mainly real estate and equities. If you have assets you got the bailout of a lifetime. If you had/have no assets well 'screw you' was the governments thinking.

Starting with Covid and that round of massive monetary expansion all G-7 nations this time funnelled the money directly to the people. Who predicatively spent it with reckless abandon. Which of course is the definition of inflation - too much money in the system chasing too few goods. You saw it first with used cars and electronics. Manufacturing shut down or greatly curtailed meant new electronics/vehicles were scarce. It spread like wild fire from there.

That IMO was your cause of inflation. The endless looting of the Treasury finally made it down to the little guy not just the 'well off'. There's nothing inflationary about handing a rich guy millions of dollars and having him plow it into NVDA stock. There is with handing it to the little guy and having him spend it in the general economy.

It was actual trickle down economics on steroids not the bullshit line you've been fed for 40+ years by 'Fiscal Conservatives' as the wealth gap became a chasm.

Ffffttt.....give your head a shake, Futz...:classic_rolleyes:

Econ Musk already proved it was because of the Carbon Tax...:classic_sleep:

48 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Interesting DATA here on the 2025 Election

SOURCE is all the major polling companies in Canada....Just as with all the other DATA I've posted the SOURCES are there

https://338canada.com/polls.htm

it is a decent poll of polls for sure. 

Note the divergence began about six months ago, and the october 2025 election date is 16 months away. Notice how much has changed in just six months. 
I am curious about what this poll of polls will say in another six months and then another six months and then almost another six months. 

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

No one has suggested covid didn’t impact it. The spending since and increased carbon taxes have fanned the flames - suggesting otherwise is ridiculous.

Inflation is worldwide. Carbon taxes are not. Am I fan of the carbon tax? Nope. But suggesting it's had any meaningful impact on inflation is a fallacy. The carbon tax was implemented in 2007. No policy that is inflationary takes 14 years for inflation to show up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Inflation is worldwide. Carbon taxes are not. Am I fan of the carbon tax? Nope. But suggesting it's had any meaningful impact on inflation is a fallacy. The carbon tax was implemented in 2007. No policy that is inflationary takes 14 years for inflation to show up.

So you’re saying 

when a farmer pays a ton of tax to heat his barn, increases prices for grain, higher prices for transport 

and the transport company pays that tax too 

and the grocer

and any company supplying anything in Canada that uses energy 

prices are minimally effected?

here’s  an idea. 

rather than argue with me

go to a local farm that pays for these things 

ask them how much their cost of goods have gone up in the last 3 years because of the carbon tax 

I’m sorry but you are completely ignorant to the factual reality of how their costs have led to inflation for us 

good lord 

10 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

No one has suggested covid didn’t impact inflation.

The spending since and increased carbon taxes have fanned the flames and made it worse, which has led to even higher interest rates which have hurt consumers and significantly curtailed business investment.

suggesting otherwise is ridiculous.

we have lower inflation than G7 nations without a carbon tax, speaking of ridicule worthy. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

So you’re saying 

when a farmer pays a ton of tax to heat his barn, increases prices for grain, higher prices for transport 

and the grocer

here’s  an idea. 

ask them how much their cost of goods have gone up in the last 3 years because of the carbon tax 

I’m sorry but you are completely ignorant to the factual reality of how their costs have led to inflation for us 

good lord 

I'll trust the farmer to know the cost.  I wouldn't expect them to know the root cause though.  Corporate greed is a much larger factor.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'll trust the farmer to know the cost.  I wouldn't expect them to know the root cause though.  Corporate greed is a much larger factor.

my fam runs 400 acres of dairy farms on vancouver island. True story: we didn't get a penny of new money per liter or on the butterfat content since covid started. 
literally still plugging away with the same cash for the same product. If inflation is in there due to any taxes...it is in the supply chain not the producers end. And I am all for some increases for farmers, they deserve it, it just hasn't trickled down to them yet. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

where did you get that from? that seems pretty suspect to me, unless he got a heck of an inheritance. 

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

So you’re saying 

and the grocer

here’s  an idea. 

good lord 

I'm talking about real inflation. The kind that is problematic to an economy. None of that even led to 2% inflation. I'm always willing to learn something new. If I am ignorant please explain to me why it took 14 years for this increase to become inflationary?

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'm talking about real inflation. The kind that is problematic to an economy. None of that even led to 2% inflation. I'm always willing to learn something new. If I am ignorant please explain to me why it took 14 years for this increase to become inflationary?

Not problematic?

huh? 

you don’t do your own grocery shopping if you think we have 2% inflation 

are you aware that the inflation metric they show you excludes food and energy lol because they’re “volatile”

I guess people don’t need food and energy the most in their lives 

Edited by ArmchairGM22