Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

https://www.caclubindia.com/assets/pierre-poilievre-net-worth/

it’s all right here, although, this page is supposedly disinformation when it comes to Justin’s Net worth and proof that Poilievre is corrupt AF. 

apologies but i am not going to 'caclubindia' dot con.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes. If you like your wine dry try the Chianti Classico. If you want to splurge and pay more then go for the Brunello di Montalcino. It’s probably the best Italian wine out there. It’s basically 100% Sangiovese grapes. 

thank you, was waiting to hear back before i drive out..wrote them both down as my short term memory is shot. The Corgi is impatient to go for a car ride...lol

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

If an interview directly with a farmer where they talk of the costs that it has imposed, and the farming association post I provided is insufficient for you, it doesn’t matter what is provided. 

the technique of never accepting any source, never listening or reading information contrary to one’s bias is a strategy to avoid dealing with information that may prove you’re incorrect. It’s intellectual fear. 

many people avoid like this, it’s not new and others have already done it here

as I said prior, intellectually honest people are open to at least reviewing information contrary to their bias and then assessing. Those who play this source and avoid game are fearful of admitting they may be incorrect.

Done 

Look this plays both ways. I have asked you pointed questions which you have simply ignored. Now you throw a fit because I choose not to invest my time in a source called 'crazySandaFU' or whatever it was. You've ignored what i asked. I have ignored what you provided.

It's the debating circle of life. 🤝 AKA 'You reap what you sow'.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I thought a bunch of pages ago that people were posting JT is at 100mil and PP at 25mil.

Net worth.

People in this thread wouldnt lie. 

8 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

https://www.caclubindia.com/assets/pierre-poilievre-net-worth/

it’s all right here, although, this page is supposedly disinformation when it comes to Justin’s Net worth and proof that Poilievre is corrupt AF. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

It stands for the Chartered Accountants Club of India.  Nothing to worry about there really except for current Canadian/Indian relations and the long arm of Modi.

Funny but when I google 'pierre poilievre net worth' I also see a lot of dubious information.  It's almost as if there are people out there who don't like these guys.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought a bunch of pages ago that people were posting JT is at 100mil and PP at 25mil.

Net worth.

People in this thread wouldnt lie. 

So doesn't that mean JT is 4x better than PP?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

We’ll king Heffy

Rather than trust me or my sources since I’m so unreliable, may I suggest the following 

first - not all farmers are impacted the same way so we need to get that out of the way. Ie some who don’t need grain or heated barns aren’t impacted the same way as those who do. 

Second, since you won’t trust my sources and since the Canucks site shouldn’t be anyone’s primary source, may I suggest the following 

google - “Canadian farmers impact and carbon tax ” 

you may learn a lot from That 

good luck! 

This is true, we built a 'state of the art' main barn for our herd that has the walls rise and fall based on temp and humidity, and being on Vancouver island it isn't heated, doesn't have to be. Raising the walls in winter/at night is enough to trap the body heat created by our fat happy girls to the point that the walls drop a bit even in winter, haha.

That being said, if the cost per liter or whatever is 100 credits and the tax is 15 credits, the operations paying 16 thousand in tax are MASSIVE and while they may be one farming family, they are megafarms that are slightly different from farms that scrape enough up to pay a couple and their three kids and maybe hire an extra milker for holidays and gatherings. I mean if your paying 100 thousand for just the natural gas to dry your grain: that is a whopping load of grain. These kinds of operations deal in the millions of dollars a year, from what my grain farming albertan buddy tells me he has millions in and millions out a year, and manages to scoop up a couple hundred thousand for himself annually. I hardly think he is going out of business over that 16 grande. But I don't know all the things, perhaps I am mistaken and 16k will bankrupt farmers who are spending 100k on just their natural gas dryers a year? 

15 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Well king Heffy

Rather than trust me or my sources since I’m so unreliable, may I suggest the following 

first - not all farmers are impacted the same way so we need to get that out of the way. Ie some who don’t need grain or heated barns aren’t impacted the same way as those who do. 

Second, since you won’t trust my sources and since the Canucks site shouldn’t be anyone’s primary source, may I suggest the following 

good luck! 

I just did that. The top hit I got was the National Post. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/carbon-tax-groceries-food-prices

Basically it says the Carbon Tax is  .15% of overall inflation. I would venture farmers are not as slammed by it as you suggest

Edited by StrayDog
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Commodity prices have always been cyclical. We've seen very large swings in some commodities without drastically effecting inflation. People have had it too good for too long regarding rates. Normal rates historically are in the 4-5% range. Although I do believe central banks would like rates back down to lower levels if only to service their irresponsible levels of debt. While the increasing mortgages may become a problem I doubt it will be much of a problem in the Pacific Northwest. It's far too desirable a place to live, with far too much pent up demand for prices to tumble much IMO.

Housing supply is a serious issue especially with the rapid increase in immigration. However, with the massive drop in birth rates if we want to keep all the economic balls in the air we need to increase the population. Certainly some interesting times ahead.

Historically though, cheaper energy is like a stimulus package in a consumer based economy. I think you’re underestimating the impact of higher energy costs. It’s not the direct increase of the tank of gas. It’s  the increase in shipping, harvesting, construction and transportation. It’s the biggest contributor to the CPI 

35 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I have made my own wine for thirty years, off and on. Not sure i follow what you are trying to say. One doesn't need to be in Italy for this, do they?

Where are you buying your grapes?  I’m assuming the grapes from a vine in Tuscany would be more pure than wherever you are getting yours from?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I just did that. The top hit I got was the National Post. https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/carbon-tax-groceries-food-prices

Basically it says the Carbon Tax .15% of overall inflation. I would venture farmers are not as slammed by it as you suggest

that is the raw number I have been using here and there, but not my math, just seems to be the accepted number, and as it impacts people: 80% of us get a rebate on it anyways. Shrug. okay, off for wine, cheers everyone.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Well king Heffy

good luck! 

So we agree some idiot on Twitter also shouldn't be someone's primary source.  This is progress.  I know how to over Google, but when you insist that people waste time viewing the trash you're providing as sources, you're going to get some pushback.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

This is true, we built a 'state of the art' main barn for our herd that has the walls rise and fall based on temp and humidity, and being on Vancouver island it isn't heated, doesn't have to be. Raising the walls in winter/at night is enough to trap the body heat created by our fat happy girls to the point that the walls drop a bit even in winter, haha.

That being said, if the cost per liter or whatever is 100 credits and the tax is 15 credits, the operations paying 16 thousand in tax are MASSIVE and while they may be one farming family, they are megafarms that are slightly different from farms that scrape enough up to pay a couple and their three kids and maybe hire an extra milker for holidays and gatherings. I mean if your paying 100 thousand for just the natural gas to dry your grain: that is a whopping load of grain. These kinds of operations deal in the millions of dollars a year, from what my grain farming albertan buddy tells me he has millions in and millions out a year, and manages to scoop up a couple hundred thousand for himself annually. I hardly think he is going out of business over that 16 grande. But I don't know all the things, perhaps I am mistaken and 16k will bankrupt farmers who are spending 100k on just their natural gas dryers a year? 

No but I didn’t say bankrupt. My post was always about the inflationary aspects of the carbon tax 

I do know farming margins are thin 

costs go up 

so does selling price 

now add that impact from Grain provider all the way to the grocery and you have tax on tax on tax on tax and more and more and hst added on each step 

so what happens to food prices? Inflation 

that has always been my point not farmer bankruptcies 

i’m no expert in  farming so I can’t talk to that. What I can talk to is the effect of tax at every single step of the supply chain, and who each of those multiple layers of carbon tax get passed on to…

The consumer

Edited by ArmchairGM22
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

80% of us get a rebate on it anyways. Shrug. okay, off for wine, cheers everyone.

Like sangiovese in most Chiantis

enjoy.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

So we agree some idiot on Twitter also shouldn't be someone's primary source.  This is progress.  I know how to over Google, but when you insist that people waste time viewing the trash you're providing as sources, you're going to get some pushback.

Watch the video 

do the google search

Then suggest the video is trash 

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

No but I didn’t say bankrupt. My post was as always about the inflationary aspects of the carbon tax 

I do farming margins are thin 

costs go up 

so does selling price 

now add that impact from Grain provider all the way to the grocery and you have tax on tax on tax on tax and more and more and hst added on each step 

so what happens to food prices? Inflation 

that has always been my point not farmer bankruptcies 

i’m no expert in  farming so I can’t talk to that. What I can talk to is the effect of tax at every single step of the supply chain, and who each of those multiple layers of carbon tax get passed on to…

The consumer

But, again, I point you to the actual inflation rate which is decreasing, while carbon tax is increasing.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Watch the video 

do the google search

Then suggest the video is trash 

Why in holy hell would I waste time and bandwidth watching a video from an obviously garbage source?

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Why in holy hell would I waste time and bandwidth watching a video from an obviously garbage source?

This is the problem with so much discussion now. If I dont listen to video from "mad crazy woman" somehow I'm not engaged properly.

It's the silly game the right likes to play now. Start at less than zero and keep you wasting time.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This is the problem with so much discussion now. If I dont listen to video from "mad crazy woman" somehow I'm not engaged properly.

It's the silly game the right likes to play now. Start at less than zero and keep you wasting time.

Question 

why are you all so happy to pay and defend a tax? 

particularly a tax that does nothing for global temperatures

let’s address that elephant 

people I know are not fans of paying tax for fun 

Also the further these guys can pull us from legit sources , the better it is for them. Because "MSM".

I appreciate the pyramid of engagement posted above, but imo that only applies when people are legitimate in their intentions to debate.

What we are seeing here is an intention to pull us into bullshit.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Question 

Many taxes are beneficial to the common good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Many taxes are beneficial to the common good.

So you’re admitting the carbon tax is wealth distribution not environmental?

good

and how is inflation a common good?

Inflation affects the poor and middle class the most if you’re not aware

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-farmers-argue-carbon-tax-has-cost-them-thousands-1.6830419#:~:text=“According to Grain Farmers of,That's not sustainable.”

Edited by ArmchairGM22

28 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Here you go buddy. 

Poilievre is a Canadian politician who has been an MP from the Conservative

Party of Canada for two decades and has become its leader in 2022.

Poilievre was adopted by schoolteachers Marlene and Donald Poilievre shortly after being born.

Poilievre was raised in a modest

household, with his parents struggling to meet basic expenses. Growing up, Poilievre worked as a paperboy and many other odd jobs.

Poilievre has a real estate portfolio worth an estimated $10 million. His properties are located in Ottawa, Ontario; Calgary, Alberta; and British Columbia.

Poilievre's most valuable property is a three-story home in Ottawa's Rockcliffe Park neighborhood. The home, which he purchased in 2013 for $4.5 million, is now worth an estimated $6 million.

Poilievre also owns a condo in

downtown Ottawa, which he purchased in 2008 for $750,000. The condo is now worth an estimated $1.5 million. In Calgary, Poilievre owns a two-story home that he purchased in 2005 for $1.2 million. The home is now worth an estimated $2 million.

Poilievre invested in the Purpose Bitcoin

ETF, which is a Canadian investment fund that tracks the price of Bitcoin.

The ETF has been successful, and Poilievre's $500k investment has

reportedly doubled in the past few years.

He also owns $6.9 million worth of investments in the stock markets and

derivatives, which forms a significant Portion of his overall wealth.

sounds like a guy that knows how to make money. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

How about CTV News? Is that good enough for you? Or also Full of crap?

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-farmers-argue-carbon-tax-has-cost-them-thousands-1.6830419#:~:text=“According to Grain Farmers of,That's not sustainable.”

4 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Question 

“I like to pay taxes. With them, I buy civilization.”

― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1