Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

“I like to pay taxes. With them, I buy civilization.”

― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Someone who says they enjoy paying taxes

has never paid taxes in Canada 

I find it funny how you think people who are sick of being overtaxed somehow means they don’t want any taxation 

binary arguments are ridiculous 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

You're probably right.  He was American.   Both countries are civilized though.  At least so far anyway.

Edited by Satchmo

2 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I find it funny how you think people who are sick of being overtaxed somehow means they don’t want any taxation 

I appreciate what the taxes go towards.  I assure you that I pay taxes.

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

You're probably right.  He was American.   Both countries are civilized though.  At least so far anyway.

Well the good thing is, if you keep voting liberal or ndp, you can pay even more in taxes! 

34 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

It stands for the Chartered Accountants Club of India.  Nothing to worry about there really except for current Canadian/Indian relations and the long arm of Modi.

Funny but when I google 'pierre poilievre net worth' I also see a lot of dubious information.  It's almost as if there are people out there who don't like these guys.

As of 2024, Justin Trudeau's net worth is estimated to be between $88 million and $100 million. This wealth primarily stems from his salary as the Prime Minister of Canada, various investments, and significant family inheritance. He earns an annual salary of approximately $347,400 CAD from his roles as both Prime Minister and Member of Parliament [oai_citation:1,Canadian PM Justin Trudeau Had a Stunning Political Start; The Popular World Leader Is Worth...  - Market Realist](https://marketrealist.com/what-is-justin-trudeaus-net-worth/) [oai_citation:2,Justin Trudeau Net Worth & Achievements (Updated 2024) - Wealth Rector](https://wealthrector.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/) [oai_citation:3,Justin Trudeau Net Worth 2024: Age, Salary, Son and Assets](https://caknowledge.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/).

In addition to his salary, Trudeau has benefited from substantial earnings from speaking engagements prior to his tenure as Prime Minister, and he also manages a diverse investment portfolio under his family's name due to restrictions on personal investments while in office [oai_citation:4,Justin Trudeau Net Worth & Achievements (Updated 2024) - Wealth Rector](https://wealthrector.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/) [oai_citation:5,Justin Trudeau Net Worth 2024: Age, Salary, Son and Assets](https://caknowledge.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/).

this is AI gathering everything from the web. Like it says, because he is in office his investments can’t be linked to him directly.

In all honestly, this is the only thing I admire about JT. Being a capitalist I see no problem in becoming wealthy due to the circumstances you’re given. The point I was trying to make earlier was why are we talking about his salary when he is already a very wealthy man? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

It was not a binary argument when people replied to  you.  We responded pre-edit.   I'm not even sure it is now post-edit.

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I appreciate what the taxes go towards.  I assure you that I pay taxes.

If you’re such a philanthropist. Take the money you save from being taxed less in a conservative government and put that directly into your community through local charities and or use that money to invest in a fund raising event. That money will have a far bigger impact than the difference in taxes you pay and you’ll continue to feel good about yourself. How much of your tax dollar do you get back after it’s been distributed back to your community through the government? Especially the federal government. You’ll also be able to write off charitable donations. 

• Like 1

Just now, NoHeart said:

If you’re such a philanthropist. Take the money you save from being taxed less in a conservative government and put that directly into your community through local charities and or use that money to invest in a fund raising event. That money will have a far bigger impact than the difference in taxes you pay and you’ll continue to feel good about yourself. How much of your tax dollar do you get back after it’s been distributed back to your community through the government? Especially the federal government. You’ll also be able to write off charitable donations. 

I'll definitely be looking into donating to organizations supporting those who will be harmed by Poilivre's bigotry and lack of basic humanity, as well as organizations that will work to denazify the country once he's done with it.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am about to head to the liquor store: should i try a Chianti? I have avoided italian wines my whole life, not on purpose, just partial to penot's and chilean reds. 

Something something chianti and fava beans... what was it again?

Spoiler

f0287af8cfedcdb88d14ccb601069258.gif

:hurhur:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'll definitely be looking into donating to organizations supporting those who will be harmed by Poilivre's bigotry and lack of basic humanity, as well as organizations that will work to denazify the country once he's done with it.

Would you consider wearing black face multiple times in the 1990’s and after “bigotry”

I'm truly  curious how you rationalize that it’s not 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hahaha. You’re as dramatic as me but left. Thanks for balancing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Would you consider wearing black face multiple times in the 1990’s and after “bigotry”

I'm truly  curious how you rationalize that it’s not 

It's not great, but neither is openly uttering racist slurs and refusing to apologize while carrying out duties as an elected MP, being a big part of the attempted implementation of a "barbaric cultural practices" snitch line, numerous votes against a woman's right to an abortion.  Sorry, but there's nothing that will convince me that the crimes against humanity that Poilivre wants to inflict on Canadians is worth any monetary value.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

You literally suggested you love paying taxes

not sure you have much of a cohort in this country dude 

No, I did not say that.  I was reminded of that quote by someone who apparently did.   I could not remember exactly what Holmes had said though I knew it ended with something about taxes paying for civilization.   That's the part I agree with.  I first thought it began with 'I don't mind paying taxes'.  I could almost say that and be truthful though I would not say I really enjoy paying them.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's not great, but neither is openly uttering racist slurs and refusing to apologize, being a big part of the attempted implementation of a "barbaric cultural practices" snitch line, numerous votes against a woman's right to an abortion.  Sorry, but there's nothing that will convince me that the crimes against humanity that Poilivre wants to inflict on Canadians is worth any monetary value.

Crimes against humanity? What?

Also, the conservatives have said repeatedly they’re not touching abortion as the Supreme Court has ruled on it 

It’s literally on their website 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

Crimes against humanity? What?

Also, the conservatives have said repeatedly they’re not touching abortion as the Supreme Court has ruled on it 

It’s literally on their website 

I don't trust them based on the bills introduced and their voting history.  You're really underestimating just how much harm Poilivre wants to do to minorities, especially women and the LGTBQ community.  There are no excuses for his bigoted social values; this piece of shit is an evil Canada cannot afford if it wants to remain a civilized country.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I don't trust them based on the bills introduced and their voting history.  You're really underestimating just how much harm Poilivre wants to do to minorities, especially women and the LGTBQ community.  There are no excuses for his bigoted social values; this piece of shit is an evil Canada cannot afford if it wants to remain a civilized country.

Well I’m a minority and voting for him, as is my family and many of my friends. 

so we agree to disagree on that 

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Well I’m a minority and voting for him, as is my family and many of my friends. 

so we agree to disagree on that 

Hopefully by the time the election comes, you'll have followed through on your promise to get out of the country.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's not great, but neither is openly uttering racist slurs and refusing to apologize while carrying out duties as an elected MP, being a big part of the attempted implementation of a "barbaric cultural practices" snitch line, numerous votes against a woman's right to an abortion.  Sorry, but there's nothing that will convince me that the crimes against humanity that Poilivre wants to inflict on Canadians is worth any monetary value.

Poilievre’s wife is also from Venezuela, kinda hard to be a racist when your wife and kids aren’t white.

also, Idk if voting for a blackface wearing rich kid is really going to stop racism. 

Bringing race into this political discussion is weak. I think we can safely say that at the very least they cancel each other out. 

• Like 2

Just now, King Heffy said:

Hopefully by the time the election comes, you'll have followed through on your promise to get out of the country.

I will but I’ll be voting from outside / mail in as I have a right to do as a citizen.

We must protect democracy buddy! 

Just now, NoHeart said:

Poilievre’s wife is also from Venezuela, kinda hard to be a racist when your wife and kids aren’t white.

also, Idk if voting for a blackface wearing rich kid is really going to stop racism. 

Bringing race into this political discussion is weak. I think we can safely say that at the very least they cancel each other out. 

There's a definite difference between implementing racist policies and uttering slurs while employed as an MP, and then refusing to apologize, and a youthful indiscretion while not in any elected office and issuing an apology.