Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's a definite difference between implementing racist policies and uttering slurs while employed as an MP, and then refusing to apologize, and a youthful indiscretion while not in any elected office and issuing an apology.

As a black man

your comment friend is ridiculous and completely oblivious to the level of racism black face suggests 

one time, ok stupid trust fund kid 

multiple times - no, racism and the only reason for an apology was he was outed on it 

Sorry dude you’re wrong on this 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There's a definite difference between implementing racist policies and uttering slurs while employed as an MP, and then refusing to apologize, and a youthful indiscretion while not in any elected office and issuing an apology.

The outcome will have absolutely no impact on racism. Why don’t you focus on what will be impacted. You think anyone is like “My prime minister uttered racial slurs and refused to apologize” I think I’m going to become a racist now. Seriously, stop wasting your time. 

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

As a black man

your comment friend is ridiculous and completely oblivious to the level of racism black face suggests 

one time, ok stupid trust fund kid 

multiple times - no, racism and the only reason for an apology was he was outed on it 

Now explain "tar baby" and the refusal to apologize.

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

Historically though, cheaper energy is like a stimulus package in a consumer based economy. I think you’re underestimating the impact of higher energy costs. It’s not the direct increase of the tank of gas. It’s  the increase in shipping, harvesting, construction and transportation. It’s the biggest contributor to the CPI 

You are correct in that it is a big contributor but it pails in comparison to interest rate policy. Nothing has a bigger impact on end user finances than interest rates and it's not even close.

We've seen huge swings in commodity prices over the years and yet inflation could not even budge over the BOC's 2% target. Once again, interest rates are the real driver.

38 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

As of 2024, Justin Trudeau's net worth is estimated to be between $88 million and $100 million. This wealth primarily stems from his salary as the Prime Minister of Canada, various investments, and significant family inheritance. He earns an annual salary of approximately $347,400 CAD from his roles as both Prime Minister and Member of Parliament [oai_citation:1,Canadian PM Justin Trudeau Had a Stunning Political Start; The Popular World Leader Is Worth...  - Market Realist](https://marketrealist.com/what-is-justin-trudeaus-net-worth/) [oai_citation:2,Justin Trudeau Net Worth & Achievements (Updated 2024) - Wealth Rector](https://wealthrector.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/) [oai_citation:3,Justin Trudeau Net Worth 2024: Age, Salary, Son and Assets](https://caknowledge.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/).

In addition to his salary, Trudeau has benefited from substantial earnings from speaking engagements prior to his tenure as Prime Minister, and he also manages a diverse investment portfolio under his family's name due to restrictions on personal investments while in office [oai_citation:4,Justin Trudeau Net Worth & Achievements (Updated 2024) - Wealth Rector](https://wealthrector.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/) [oai_citation:5,Justin Trudeau Net Worth 2024: Age, Salary, Son and Assets](https://caknowledge.com/justin-trudeau-net-worth/).

this is AI gathering everything from the web. Like it says, because he is in office his investments can’t be linked to him directly.

In all honestly, this is the only thing I admire about JT. Being a capitalist I see no problem in becoming wealthy due to the circumstances you’re given. The point I was trying to make earlier was why are we talking about his salary when he is already a very wealthy man? 

So if he's worth this much, and takes all the shit that he does, and he still wants to serve what does that tell you? 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He was not referring to a black Person or a black child

he was referring to a policy, and the father of the carbon tax, and something that sticks

Wrong and stupid choice of words yes. Had it been a black person he was referring to yes 

but it was not 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So if he's worth this much, and takes all the shit that he does, and he still wants to serve what does that tell you? 

It tells me he’s getting kickbacks and enjoys getting richer and richer from them 

You think all these financial scandals don’t have some kickbacks in them? Either now or in the future? That’s how the grift works 

come On man, you’re not that naive are you?

Edited by ArmchairGM22

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

He was not referring to a black Person or a black child

he was referring to a policy, and the father of the carbon tax, and something that sticks

Wrong and stupid choice of words yes. Had it been a black person he was referring to yes 

but it was not 

Now explain why he refused to apologize publicly after being educated regarding the meaning of the word, and his support of the snitch line.  He's had enough misconduct in office that there's nothing that can convince me that this worthless piece of shit should have any input regarding how a country is run.

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

You are correct in that it is a big contributor but it pails in comparison to interest rate policy. Nothing has a bigger impact on end user finances than interest rates and it's not even close.

We've seen huge swings in commodity prices over the years and yet inflation could not even budge over the BOC's 2% target. Once again, interest rates are the real driver.

Monetary policy is influenced by energy prices as well. You are correct in saying that interest rates are the biggest contributor at face value. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

again, I know it’s a little cheap using AI but it is pretty handy when you want all the information summarized. Is this what you’re talking about? Cause I can’t find anything tangible. 

There is no verified evidence that Pierre Poilievre, the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, has openly uttered racist slurs or refused to apologize for such behavior. However, he has been involved in several controversies related to accusations of associating with problematic symbols and communities.

One notable controversy involved misogynistic tags associated with the "Men Going Their Own Way" (MGTOW) movement found on videos uploaded to his YouTube channel. While Poilievre did not add these tags himself, there were calls for him to address the issue and ensure those responsible were held accountable 

Another incident involved Poilievre posting a tribute to fallen police officers that included a "thin blue line" symbol, which some critics consider a dog whistle for far-right groups. This sparked significant backlash, with accusations of him using divisive and potentially racist symbols

Despite these controversies, Poilievre has generally distanced himself from explicitly racist rhetoric and has condemned hate speech when directly confronted with such issues

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

again, I know it’s a little cheap using AI but it is pretty handy when you want all the information summarized. Is this what you’re talking about? Cause I can’t find anything tangible. 

There is no verified evidence that Pierre Poilievre, the leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, has openly uttered racist slurs or refused to apologize for such behavior. However, he has been involved in several controversies related to accusations of associating with problematic symbols and communities.

One notable controversy involved misogynistic tags associated with the "Men Going Their Own Way" (MGTOW) movement found on videos uploaded to his YouTube channel. While Poilievre did not add these tags himself, there were calls for him to address the issue and ensure those responsible were held accountable 

Another incident involved Poilievre posting a tribute to fallen police officers that included a "thin blue line" symbol, which some critics consider a dog whistle for far-right groups. This sparked significant backlash, with accusations of him using divisive and potentially racist symbols

Despite these controversies, Poilievre has generally distanced himself from explicitly racist rhetoric and has condemned hate speech when directly confronted with such issues

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tory-mp-defends-use-of-term-tar-baby-1.837347

Clearly the AI struggled because that was a pretty fast google.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/tory-mp-defends-use-of-term-tar-baby-1.837347

Clearly the AI struggled because that was a pretty fast google.

Well given there was no black person involved I decided to google to see if there were other meanings 

as context matters and as political parties like to jump on anything they can use for partisan purposes 

perhaps the left doesn’t realize there’s another meaning 

and it aligns with his usage 

IMG_7971.jpeg

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

Dear lord, I’ve never seen anything taken out of context so badly in my life. He clearly explained what he meant. That’s pretty weak. 

When you combine it with his work on the snitch line and co-operation with hate groups, it paints a pretty clear picture.  There's no excuse for this bigot's refusal to act in a civilized manner.

When you combine it with his work on the snitch line and co-operation with hate groups, it paints a pretty clear picture.  There's no excuse for this bigot's refusal to act in a civilized manner.

Hate groups as in groups you hate? 

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Diagolon

“Poilievre has publicly denounced Mackenzie and the extremist views associated with Diagolon. He clarified that he was unaware of Mackenzie's identity during their brief interaction, stating that it's impossible to conduct background checks on every individual he meets at public events. Furthermore, Poilievre has condemned the group and any form of racism or extremism”

national global news. 

any other straws? 

Still doesn’t beat the Nazi war criminal. 

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Cheap shot.  Review the facts including PP standing up and applauding.

Ya, cause calling PP a nazi right wing extremist isn’t a cheap shot. Hahahah. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Ya, cause calling PP a nazi right wing extremist isn’t a cheap shot. Hahahah. 

I just searched for 'nazi right wing extremist' and found only your post.  Even if I had found it I'm not sure it would be much of a defense of another cheap shot.

1 hour ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

It tells me he’s getting kickbacks and enjoys getting richer and richer from them 

You think all these financial scandals don’t have some kickbacks in them? Either now or in the future? That’s how the grift works 

come On man, you’re not that naive are you?

I think you don't care about service. 

2 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Question 

why are you all so happy to pay and defend a tax? 

particularly a tax that does nothing for global temperatures

let’s address that elephant 

people I know are not fans of paying tax for fun 

For me, because it pushes folks to choose different outcomes. I am not a fan of paying taxes either, but I don't complain about my share. I decided to invest in a heat pump and hot water on demand to reduce my energy use and do away with a large chunk of my carbon footprint. I did this because the savings in taxes in part helps offset the cost of my upgrades. The next phase of my renovations will be to install solar roofing tiles and convert my old pump house into a battery house. 

I won't "break even" with my savings, but they are significant and my reduced carbon footprint is actually a decent chunk. 

The idea was to make it costly to pollute. It is a feature not a bug.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3