Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s not true. Trudeau literally campaigned on a balanced budget in 2015 and promised it would be balanced in 4 years. He said it was “very” cast  in stone.  

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-budget-deficit-1.3369459

Even as the economic hurdles pile up, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau insists his pledge to balance the federal books in four years is "very" cast in stone.

Sure? I don't know. Whenever the left are in power (and Liberals in this day and age can really be counted as left leaning), I just generally don't expect a balanced budget anyway.

Mind you, Harper didn't even have a balanced budget in the end if I recall correctly. lol

1 minute ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

I’m not trying to convince you to vote for anyone 

you do you 

Don't quite know what your goal is then, but okay?...

5 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

Sharing pertinent information for people to make informed choices 

Cheers 

Well then present facts with all of the context added in so they can make informed choices. Adding a bunch of prime ministers, some of which didn't even have a deficit but never had to deal with Covid and comparing it with Trudeau is where you move me the opposite direction you intended.

You know Trudeau has a bigger deficit. You know some of that's due to Covid. If you want to actually convince people, compare what he's done before Covid and after Covid with other PMs, not what happened during Covid. If you know facts are on your side, you can give full context without having to skew things. Do that, and you'll actually earn my respect and show that your goal you've stated to be true. Continue down this road of crap given out of context... you'll just get nowhere.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Sure? I don't know. Whenever the left are in power (and Liberals in this day and age can really be counted as left leaning), I just generally don't expect a balanced budget anyway.

Mind you, Harper didn't even have a balanced budget in the end if I recall correctly. lol

The left shouldn’t be in power. The Liberals used to be a centre party. Which is what’s best for the country. When you have a left wing party in government, they tend to spend like drunken sailors. Doesn’t really help our kids and future generations when the interest payment on your debt is pushing $50 billion. 

FYI, Harper actually balanced two budgets. Meanwhile, Trudeau is still trying to figure out 8+6. 

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well then present facts with all of the context added in so they can make informed choices. Adding a bunch of prime ministers, some of which didn't even have a deficit but never had to deal with Covid and comparing it with Trudeau is where you move me the opposite direction you intended.

You know Trudeau has a bigger deficit. You know some of that's due to Covid. If you want to actually convince people, compare what he's done before Covid and after Covid with other PMs, not what happened during Covid. If you know facts are on your side, you can give full context without having to skew things. Do that, and you'll actually earn my respect and show that your goal you've stated to be true. Continue down this road of crap given out of context... you'll just get nowhere.

Go look at his spending since covid 

that graph is up to 2021

good luck 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

Just now, ArmchairGM22 said:

Go look at his spending since covid 

that graph is up to 2021

good luck 

im sorry you want me to spoon feed you 

im not your mother 

Yes. Please spoon feed me. Treat me like I don't know how to do research.

I'm not here to do your homework. The onus is on you to provide that information. Not for you to tell people to "figure it out".

Just now, The Lock said:

I'm not here to do your homework. The onus is on you to provide that information. Not for you to tell people to "figure it out".

My homework? My homework isn’t to do your homework 

I know the answers 

Every piece of data I’ve posted results in attacks 

I know who I’m voting for 

it doesn’t matter if anyone here votes the same 

the conservatives will win in a majority not seen for decades, it makes no difference 

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Are you paying me for my time?

lmao 

no 

ITS YOUR JOB TO TELL ME THE ANSWER!!!!!

lmao

Edited by ArmchairGM22

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

FYI, Harper actually balanced two budgets. Meanwhile, Trudeau is still trying to figure out 8+6. 

Not with actual context he didn't. As @The Lock noted, just debate with intellectual honesty.

• Like 1

My homework? My homework isn’t to do your homework 

I know the answers 

Every piece of data I’ve posted results in attacks 

I know who I’m voting for 

it doesn’t matter if anyone here votes the same 

the conservatives will win in a majority not seen for decades, it makes no difference 

Are you paying me for my time?

lmao 

no 

All I'm doing is showing you the way to actually be good at debating. Take it or leave it.

If you're too lazy to do what I said (which doesn't even necessarily require a lot of effort), then that's up to you. Just don't ask the question later of why you always get attacked instead of actually being able to inform people. lol

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What is factually incorrect about Harper balancing two budgets? 

I actually did notice that Harper overall went into debt during his tenure. I saw this while looking up Trudeau's deficit and comparing with other prime ministers.

I can try and find where I found it if you'd like.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

I actually did notice that Harper overall went into debt during his tenure. I saw this while looking up Trudeau's deficit and comparing with other prime ministers.

I know for a fact he balanced two budgets. You don’t need to waste your time looking it up. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

What is factually incorrect about Harper balancing two budgets? 

Drastically underfunding need things like OAS, the Coast Guard and selling the Wheat Board to the Saudis (despite actual Canadians willing to buy it) to pay for corporate handouts is not "balancing a budget".

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Edit: Actually, here's 1 chart at least...

National Debt By Prime Minister

Now do it as percentage of GDP 😁

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

All I'm doing is showing you the way to actually be good at debating. Take it or leave it.

If you're too lazy to do what I said (which doesn't even necessarily require a lot of effort), then that's up to you. Just don't ask the question later of why you always get attacked instead of actually being able to inform people. lol

Thanks for the unsolicited advice 

love the insults

perhaps take your own advice sweetie 

🤦 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

Just now, aGENT said:

Now do it as percentage of GDP 😁

Haha on a random note, I moved the graph to a reply afterwards.

It would be interesting to look that up and compare with Trudeau. It's actually interesting with that graph where you see a bump in debt during Harper's time right when the 2008-09 recession hit. Obviously, that's nothing compared with Trudeau and Covid, but it does go to show how much global events affect things.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Drastically underfunding need things like OAS, the Coast Guard and selling the Wheat Board to the Saudis (despite actual Canadians willing to buy it) to pay for corporate handouts is not "balancing a budget".

So you do admit he actually balanced two budgets. You just don’t like the way he did it. Gotcha. 

I suppose you prefer a progressive Liberal government that spends like drunken sailors while destroying the future of our kids and several generations after them?  

There is a reason why generation Z is turning against he progressive Liberal government and voting Conservative. They’d like a shot at preserving their future. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Do you actually know how to calculate a balanced budget? 

I think I know what happened with this conversation. I meant to say debt from the beginning, not balanced budget. Apologies for the confusion.

• Cheers 1