Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Stats Can said it was only 10%.  25% is quite a bit different and quite frankly more believable.

The question you need to ask yourself is not what a new Conservative government will do to fix this mess.  The question you need to ask yourself is why the current government allowed it to get to this point in the first place...

There are many questions.  One might be why describe MDI as European when it came from Quebec.  Another might be just how valid are these estimates.  Another might be where were the NDP and the official opposition while we got to this point.  There are likely more but I don't want to get too questionable.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Maybe someone who's actually had a job would be a good start.  A neo-Nazi nutjob with no work experience and who has articulated no constructive ideas most certainly is not an upgrade.

Neo Nazi? 😂 

Ice Cream Wtf GIF by Justin Gammon

ok 

Edited by ArmchairGM22

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When hiring for a job to run a company, should a company ask what the candidates vision is, or just hire some the first applicant who isn't the previous guy?

You're assuming the previous guy was already fired after putting 25% of the country into poverty.  So my question to you is why isn't the previous guy fired yet?  Only then can we move forward and start interviewing new candidates for the job...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

New report says 1 in 4 Canadians may be living in poverty (msn.com)

New report says 1 in 4 Canadians may be living in poverty

A new report from Food Banks Canada suggests the number of Canadians living in poverty may be higher than previously thought, with the organization estimating 25 per cent could fall under this category because they cannot afford two or more household essentials.

The report, released Tuesday, introduced what the authors call a material deprivation index (MDI) — a metric used in Europe to measure a poverty level standard of living.

Eurostat, the statistical office of the European Union, says the MDI distinguishes between individuals who cannot afford a certain good or service, and those who do not have this good or service because they don't want it.

"We should continue to prioritize poverty reduction," Richard Matern, Food Banks Canada director of research, told Global News. "Many more people are feeling the impacts of poverty."

According to Food Banks Canada, the MDI looks at 11 types of essential items Canadians surveyed said they could not afford.

That includes 10 per cent unable to afford clothing or 18 per cent unable to pay for dental care.

From this, the report's authors suggest 25 per cent Canadians likely would fall under a poverty-level standard of living because they could not afford two or more of such essentials. The report's methodology means 10 million of Canada's 40 million people are living in poverty, compared with four million people as reported by Statistics Canada.

Matern said the report also looked at other indicators like food insecurity, reported economic distress, self-reported income adequacy and their actual level of income.

"It's very striking," Matern said.

"When you combine all these four indicators, it basically highlighted statistically that two or more items were most representative of the majority of people experiencing struggles in those other areas as well. So essentially what we call the threshold."

When assessing poverty in Canada, the "poverty line" is often referenced by determining an income level for households.

Statistics Canada uses a model, as Matern referenced, called the Market Basket Measure to define poverty, which means that a family is considered to be living in poverty if they cannot afford a modest, basic standard of living which includes the costs of food, clothing and footwear, transportation, shelter and other expenses.

But Matern says having assets or debt, living in the same apartment with below-market rent, having a disability or even moving into new housing with above-market rent can all impact the standard of living.

Under that metric, the report said nearly 10 per cent of Canadians currently live in poverty, but authors of the report and those who helped in its development say looking at more than just the "poverty line" could help improve outreach.

"Developing and maintaining an MDI alongside existing income-based poverty measures could provide the government with deeper insights to enhance programs to reach more of those experiencing food insecurity," said Sarah Stern, the executive director of the Maple Leaf Centre for Food Security, which helped support the report, in a statement.

When it comes to who falls under the MDI as living in poverty, single-parent families and those aged between 18 and 30 were at the top at 44.5 per cent and 30 per cent, respectively. As well, 42 per cent of renters also experience being unable to afford two or more household essentials and live in a poverty-level standard of living.

The report suggests "poverty may be more extensive and possibly more multifaceted than it appears when viewed only via an income-based poverty line."

— with files from The Canadian Press

More of a local level approach, but with all the food that Grocers throw away every day, there should be a tax incentive for any grocery store, big or small if they give that food to their local food backs.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/Committee/411/FINA/WebDoc/WD5340612/411_FINA_TIFCD_Briefs/FoodBanksCanadaE.pdf

Edited by DSVII
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

There are many questions.  One might be why describe MDI as European when it came from Quebec.  Another might be just how valid are these estimates.  Another might be where were the NDP and the official opposition while we got to this point.  There are likely more but I don't want to get too questionable.

Those estimates are probably just as valid as Stats Can.  Yes, where was the NDP in all of this?  Aren't they the party of the poor people?  How did the NDP allow this to happen?  Instead of Jagmeet spending his days defending and supporting Trudeau, maybe he should actually be doing something to help people put food on the table...

• Vintage 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Those estimates are probably just as valid as Stats Can.  Yes, where was the NDP in all of this?  Aren't they the party of the poor people?  How did the NDP allow this to happen?  Instead of Jagmeet spending his days defending and supporting Trudeau, maybe he should actually be doing something to help people put food on the table...

How can that be?   A post or so ago you seemed to be taking one as more valid that the other.

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

More of a micro approach, but with all the food that Grocers throw away every day, there should be a tax incentive for any grocery store, big or small if they give that food to their local food backs.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/Committee/411/FINA/WebDoc/WD5340612/411_FINA_TIFCD_Briefs/FoodBanksCanadaE.pdf

I know Safeway does this.  My friend's husband was a store manager at Safeway for 20+ years.  They also give the food to places that distribute the food to people who need it.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I know Safeway does this.  My friend's husband was a store manager at Safeway for 20+ years.  They also give the food to places that distribute the food to people who need it.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is at the discretion of the individual branch  managers rather than a corporate policy across the board?

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe someone who's actually had a job would be a good start.  A neo-Nazi nutjob with no work experience and who has articulated no constructive ideas most certainly is not an upgrade.

To be clear PP's entire adult career is based on speaking to and catering to the alt right. Prior to becoming leader of his party he focused on anti worker and anti union papers and legislation, legislation to weaken and even reduce retroactively pensions , making the poorest seniors work more years ( that's not because he is totally heartless but he wants the OAS savings for business tax cuts ) and has voted against every measure to help those below him and society safety net programs 

We cant really compare PP to nearly any other politician as most have had some kind of job and some history atleast on the surface if giving a dam about anyone not rich ....

I'm no fan of truduea but between the 2 he is actually the lesser of 2 evils.  Both are idiots and not deserving to hold office.  Canadas only hope is another minority government followed by the cons and liberals cleaning house and hopefully we see 2 parties with atleast some notion of sanity and competency 

My fear is a PP majority will set us back 100years before the healing from the damage he will do happens..... Truduea leaving office for a sane replacement won't take long to get things back on track 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

How can that be?   A post or so ago you seemed to be taking one as more valid that the other.

25% seems more believable than 10%.  So yes, I believe the numbers from MDI moreso than Stats Can.  You need to understand that their modeling is different.  It's not that the Stats Can numbers are incorrect, it's that they use a different model to arrive at their numbers.  

Just now, DSVII said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is at the discretion of the individual branch  managers rather than a corporate policy across the board?

The only items that Safeway used to donate was bakery product. I haven't worked in their stores for years, so I'm not sure if they still do. All their fruit and vegetables were shipped out for composting. Meat items, never. Dairy items, never.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Right.

IIRC, you believe it's because he was incapable of "running it", correct?

Well just sayin maybe this is a tell. I dunno but I don’t hug men like this.

To each their own but kinda seems like this could be the reason for the divorce no?

IMG_7985.jpeg

IMG_7986.jpeg

Edited by ArmchairGM22

Just now, Johngould21 said:

The only items that Safeway used to donate was bakery product. I haven't worked in their stores for years, so I'm not sure if they still do. All their fruit and vegetables were shipped out for composting. Meat items, never. Dairy items, never.

They also give out the canned items that have expired that can't be sold in the stores...

25% seems more believable than 10%.  So yes, I believe the numbers from MDI moreso than Stats Can.  You need to understand that their modeling is different.  It's not that the Stats Can numbers are incorrect, it's that they use a different model to arrive at their numbers.  

Oh, I get it now. Your initial post was somehow missing that explanation.  Could it have been because the higher numbers shine a dimmer light on the libs? 

4 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

To each their own but kinda seems like this could be the reason for the divorce no?

IMG_7985.jpeg

IMG_7986.jpeg

403742.webp

Personally I'm comfortable enough in my own sexuality that I can hug another man and understand it isn't sexual in any way, but that's just me.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

IMG_7985.jpeg

IMG_7986.jpeg

I dunno....this seems kinda homophobic if you ask me.....

....which strikes me as odd from a "black man" who constantly whines about being "attacked"...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

Oh, I get it now. Your initial post was somehow missing that explanation.  Could it have been because the higher numbers shine a dimmer light on the libs? 

Food Bank Canada is an independent organization, no?  I doubt they would be putting out numbers just to screw Trudeau.  And yes, I believe their modeling over the governments.  Reason why is because you can't even live in Vancouver unless you are making upwards of $100k per year.  The average wage is more like $60k. So yes, I believe that 25% of the population is now living in poverty as per the MDI model...

25 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So based on the above chart, not sure whether this type of commentary below falls under the "red", "orange", or "green" zone.

elmo-die.gif

we all need to focus on being nicer in our replies to each other and pay less attention to trying to get each other in hot water with the admins and mods. 

Final Answer. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I thought it was his snoring 

Really? I'd ask how you know that, but the folks on the Right ITT seem to know an awful lot that the rest of the board isn't privy to....

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They also give out the canned items that have expired that can't be sold in the stores...

I doubt food banks would accept those items, to me that’s a liability issue. They have never given anything to an individual, so I’m confused as to who you think they might be giving things to.

Food Bank Canada is an independent organization, no?  I doubt they would be putting out numbers just to screw Trudeau.  And yes, I believe their modeling over the governments.  Reason why is because you can't even live in Vancouver unless you are making upwards of $100k per year.  The average wage is more like $60k. So yes, I believe that 25% of the population is now living in poverty as per the MDI model...

I'm not really disputing numbers here Petey. Just the initial spinning of the numbers.

• Cheers 1