Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

So we are going with that 25% figure now? It's official?

Based on the poll numbers yes. It’s much more believable than 10%. I mean if it was only 10%, would generation Z really be voting for a supposed right wing nazi?  Think about that for a minute. 

It’s so bad out they are voting for anyone but Trudeau. 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Based on the poll numbers yes. It’s much more believable than 10%. I mean if it was only 10%, would generation Z really be voting for a supposed right wing nazi?  Think about that for a minute. 

You think gen z is going to support PP? 😂

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Very timely article to break down the methodology behind the 25% number. I don't think it is as dire as the suggestion that a quarter of the country is on the streets, but it is still concerning.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/more-canadians-are-living-in-poverty-than-previously-thought-says-report-1.6931418

---------------------

The report(opens in a new tab) cites the ‘Material Deprivation Index’ (MDI) using Canadian data, and finds that a quarter of the country cannot afford two or more household essentials.

The report considered responses across 11 different categories:

•  Transportation: Are you/is everyone in your household able to get around your community whenever you/they need to? (3.6 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Footwear: Do you/does everyone in your household have at least one pair of properly fitting shoes and at least one pair of winter boots? (3.7 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Protein: Are you/is everyone in your household able to eat meat or fish or a vegetarian equivalent at least every other day? (6.7 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Temperature: Are you able to keep your house or apartment at a comfortable temperature all year round? (7.2 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Special occasions: Are you able to participate in celebrations or other occasions that are important to people from your social, ethnic, cultural, or religious group? (7.9 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Gifts: Are you able to buy some small gifts for family or friends at least once a year? (8 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Bills: Are you currently able to pay your bills on time? (8.8 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Clothes: Do you/does everyone in your household have appropriate clothes to wear for special occasions, such as a job interview, wedding, or funeral? (10.1 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Dental care: Are you/is everyone in your household able to get regular dental care, including teeth-cleaning and fillings, at least once a year? (18.1 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Spending money: If you wanted to, could you spend a small amount of money each week on yourself? (18.6 per cent can’t afford)
  •  Unexpected: If you had an unexpected expense today of $500, could you cover this from your own resources? (21.7 per cent can’t afford)

According to the findings, nearly 6 million additional Canadians are living in poverty than what’s reflected in Statistics Canada most recent poverty data.

“We’re not looking at just income alone, but we’re looking at what people can actually afford,” says Richard Matern, the director of research at Food Banks Canada. “We’re seeing more people who are perhaps living above the official poverty line, but are still struggling to make ends meet.”

Matern says the findings should push governments to expand dental and drug coverage programs that exclude some benefits based on an individual’s income source.

The report’s findings suggest 30 per cent of Canadians aged 18 to 30 years old, 44.5 per cent of single-parent families, and 42 per cent of renters are experiencing a poverty level standard of living.

--------------------

Trudeau's base and approval really went into freefall last year when he made that idiotically out of touch comment that housing wasn't a primary federal responsibility and tried to play carbon tax favorites with the Atlantic provinces. It is probably too little too late to save him, whatever he enacts now won't even be felt by folks until a year or two down the line.

Grocer tax rebates for food bank donations now would be great.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I read the first sentence twice looking for an answer to my question and ignored the editorial comments that followed it.

I'll just resign myself to the fact that I'll be hearing that 25% of us are impoverished at least until the next election.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Poilievre’s Youth: Meet the young voters supporting the Conservatives - National | Globalnews.ca

Thirty years ago, a mantra for the U.S. Democrats ran “it’s the economy, stupid.”

Three decades later, that same energy has been captured by a Canadian politician that nobody would mistake for Bill Clinton.

The Millennial and Gen Y Canadians who will vote for Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre – potentially for the first time, or their first time voting for the Conservatives – are angry. They’re angry about the cost of living. They’re angry about housing. And they’re angry that their quality of life is likely to be worse than their Boomer and Gen X parents.

And in Poilievre they’ve found an outlet.

March 10 numbers from Abacus Data put the Conservatives ahead among 18 to 29-year-olds, with 36 per cent support, 27 per cent for the NDP and just 19 per cent for Trudeau’s Liberals. Abacus’ numbers for the 30 to 44-year-old set – the elder Millennials and young Gen X’ers – are even more stark, with the Conservatives enjoying 43 per cent support to the Liberals’ 23 per cent.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

You'd be surprised how the Conservatives have infiltrated the youth via the Gaming, Masculinity and Self Help Spheres (Jordan Peterson comes to mind). There's a lot of valid mental health concerns amongst today's youth, particularly in the men's space, that the Right Wing is validating and offering their solutions to. It is folly to ignore that.

--------

An image that will stick with me for maybe the rest of my life, is when I was in G7 in 2010 during the protests, Harper had the riot police clear out the protestors from a designated protest zone with Horses and Riot Shields. They used the trashing of Yonge street by anti-globalist/anarchists rioters as an excuse to clear the crowd out.

And after all the folks were arrested and trampled over, I see two teenagers behind the police line handing out water bottles they purchased to the cops, thanking them for doing their job. It was quite a duality as a person who supported the protestor's right to be at a designated zone that these kids would approve of that action as protecting their neighborhoods.

Long story short, I don't see it as out of the realm of possibility Cons have a strong base in Gen Z.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Freeland does not look good here imo, Vassy even puts a dagger in at the end saying 'I'm being told in my ear your staff needs to get you out".

Freeland went full talking points here imo, a perfect representation of modern democracy, not a genuine conversation at all much like question period. 

Curious other opinions.

That was frustrating to watch

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Worst finance minister in Canadian history.  No credentials or business education other than being a  "journalist".  Bill Morneau was a huge loss for the Liberals.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

I read the first sentence twice looking for an answer to my question and ignored the editorial comments that followed it.

I'll just resign myself to the fact that I'll be hearing that 25% of us are impoverished at least until the next election.

Yep....and we'll likely go back to the old methodology immediately after....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://globalnews.ca/video/10575640/airplane-food-bill-tops-220k-on-trudeaus-6-day-indo-pacific-trip-report/

The same people who argue about "tax fairness" think it's ok to spend over $200K on airplane food.

These limousine Liberal elitists don't have a hope to be re-elected. 

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/political-parties-spending-rules-1.7204136

Conservative MPs racked up 79 per cent of the spending by MPs. They billed the House of Commons $426,283 to attend a caucus meeting associated with the Conservative Party's policy convention in Quebec City in September 2023, including $331,699 for travel, $71,408 for accommodations and $21,053 for meals and incidentals.

Conservative MPs were the only ones to bill Parliament for spouses' travel to a caucus meeting connected to a party convention during that time period.

This story came up yesterday and I think Heffy had a pretty good response.  I don't expect you will agree.

5 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

This story came up yesterday and I think Heffy had a pretty good response.  I don't expect you will agree.

A "what about" response is a pretty good response? 

Edited by bolt

3 hours ago, ArmchairGM22 said:

No i’m not part of a troll farm 

Nor am I a troll 

you asked me what is reasonable spending and how that differs from person to person 

yes it does

bur is it reasonable to be spending 220k on fancy food for flights?

is it reasonable to spending 5 billion and giving to the Philippines for climate equality whatever that means? 

is it reasonable  to be creating a slush fund for green energy and giving 200 mil of it to a venture capital firm that Guillbault has percentage ownership of?

Particularly when 25% of the people are on considered living in poverty, record food bank usage, tent cities everywhere, and our debt servicing spending is higher than health care transfers???

Anyone being intellectually honest can say these are irresponsible spending and I’ve posted many others and there’s many more including scandals. Turning a blind eye to it is irresponsible for any voter. (Ie being asked repeatedly about “was anyone arrested” vs going a learning about the issue as one did here). That’s intellectual cowardice and fear of the truth. I’m sure our resident denialist will eventually respond with it! 😂 

And this is my last post, as I’m not here to take the abuse of being called a f’ing b$tch as you did earlier. TBH I expected more from you than that. 

People are open to WATCH the video below and see even more corruption. I choose to alert people to it because when someone in our families gets sick with cancer, we can remember who’s stealing our tax dollars and why it takes 6 months to get a biopsy. And this corruption should matter when you vote. 

Unsure why any one individual would think I was talking about them, I was musing about a troll farm I was involved in investigating over 15 years ago. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So you're ok with the grifting of tax payers based on party lines?

Both are not OK and for a Liberal party that pretends to care about fairness $200k worth of airplane food for a 6 day trip is ok with you?

14 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Well Bolt your post history would indicate that it is. 😀 🤣

My bad it was only fair for them to purchase $200,000 for airplane food. It's bizarre that the Liberals are projected to get less than 40 seats in the next election.

Edited by bolt

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Both are not OK and for a Liberal party that pretends to care about fairness $200k worth of airplane food for a 6 day trip is ok with you?

Never said ti was.  But it's telling that even while not being the lead party that the Conservative caucus spends so much already and it isn't exactly reassuring for a party that people claim will be "fiscally responsible" or better than the *checks notes* corrupt and inept liberals

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

34 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I couldn't watch the whole thing.  Too painful.  I now understand why Trudeau hasn't resigned.  If Freeland replaced him the Liberal party would become completely irrelevant, similar to what happened to the BC Liberal party.  They are actually better off just running again with Trudeau.  Paul Martin must be shaking his head right now at what he is seeing...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

My bad it was only fair for them to purchase $200,000 for airplane food. It's bizarre that the Liberals are projected to get less than 40 seats in the next election.

It's not such a good thing,  Neither is it a thing exclusive to the liberals.

Kudos for ending with a reference to the polls while we discuss this. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, bolt said:

Worst finance minister in Canadian history.  No credentials or business education other than being a  "journalist".  Bill Morneau was a huge loss for the Liberals.

She is the worst, like you said no financial background which you would think would be a requirement for the finance minister of Canada and I just generally cant stand her when she talks.  

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Never said ti was.  But it's telling that even while not being the lead party that the Conservative caucus spends so much already and it isn't exactly reassuring for a party that people claim will be "fiscally responsible" or better than the *checks notes* corrupt and inept liberals

I don't have any reason to vote Liberals as most people clearly don't.  Maybe you're happy with the

Bread crumbs and nothing is the Liberals fault?  

Edited by bolt

Just now, bolt said:

I don't have any reason to vote Liberals as most people clearly don't.  Maybe you're happy with the

Bread crumbs?  

Keeping Poilivre from inflicting his barbaric beliefs on the rest of us and forcing the denazification of the CPC should be more than enough.

• Wiener 1

20 minutes ago, bolt said:

Bread crumbs and nothing is the Liberals fault?  

You're ignoring the fact that this level of grift is happening and it's happening en masse in the party that will supposedly lead the nation with fiscal responsibility.

How is that not concerning?

• Vintage 1