Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Keeping Poilivre from inflicting his barbaric beliefs on the rest of us and forcing the denazification of the CPC should be more than enough.

Lmao

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're ignoring the fact that this level of grift is happening and it's happening en masse in the party that will supposedly lead the nation with fiscal responsibility.

How is that not concerning?

I'm supposed to be concerened with the level of CPC grift yet there's posters here using words such as deNazifying the CPC and barbarism.  Maybe some grift in the CPC but to ignore the fact of the grift in the Liberal parry is strangew.  Are you inferring it's only a one party issue?

Edited by bolt

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

I'm supposed to be concerened with the level of CPC grift yet there's posters here using words such as deNazifying the CPC and barbarism.  Maybe some grift in the CPC but to ignore the fact of the grift in the Liberal parry is strangew.  Are you inferring it's only a one party issue?

Who gives a randy shart about posters on a hockey forum.

You've railed against Liberal spending and as you claim"corruption" for as long as you've been here.

But the party that will replace the Liberals is already engaging en masse in the exact same stuff you're pissed off about.

Are you not concerned about that?

• Vintage 1

Just now, bolt said:

I'm supposed to be concerened with the level of CPC grift yet there's posters here using words such as deNazifying the CPC and barbarism.  Maybe some grift in the CPC but to ignore the fact of the grift in the Liberal parry is bizarre.  Are you inferring it's only a one party issue?

What were you just saying about whataboutism?

Beyond that, this is a conversation where math is important.  "one" is not really "some" (besides having absolutely nothing to do with the conversation taking place).

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I couldn't watch the whole thing.  Too painful.  I now understand why Trudeau hasn't resigned.  If Freeland replaced him the Liberal party would become completely irrelevant, similar to what happened to the BC Liberal party.  They are actually better off just running again with Trudeau.  Paul Martin must be shaking his head right now at what he is seeing...

I am intrigued by the history of the right wing in BC. Might even write a book about it in my old age. 

My mom's nephew was the Minister of Lands and Forests with the Socreds a LONG LONG time ago... the NDP wiped them off the political map in their final election campaign, I think they had 3 seats left or was it two? I should point out how extremely right wing my cousin is. The first thing that happened after the NDP took over was that they didn't have a forestry based MLA to take over lands and forests on their own, so they contracted the now ex MLA and Minister of Lands and Forests as a 'consultant' to ensure continuity, lol, odd but okay. My cousin now has a fleet of at least five helicopters, I know he has 6 or 7 homes in the Okanogan and a valuable consulting firm around forestry. He is also nearing the end stages of life, old age will get us all in the end. But I digress...

He and his cronies moved almost instantly to the BC Liberal Party from the Socred party that was ousted under Vander Zalm. At some point the Liberals took over government in BC and held it for 16 years, off the top of my head I think there was a see-saw between NDP and Liberal governments a few times before that though. 
Then at the end of the 16 year run, the Conservative/Socred rump realized they poisoned that well too and moved on over to the BC Conservatives, in large ammounts, during a bit of an ongoing civil war among the Right Wing in BC. 

I expect at some point the BCUPS will just vote to merge with the BC COnservatives, a brand that historically has had no traction in BC, thus all the right wing minded folks marching through the Socreds and then the BC Liberal party and now ending up currently split between the Bcups, who are more moderate right of center minded people and the party on their right flank the BC Conservatives. 

Meanwhile under Horgan the NDP moved a step towards the center and it has paid off in spades for them. I suspect we will have another BC NDP majority government this October, the election is about 120 days away. 

It all reminds me our first elected Premier changed his name to Amor De COsmos between being elected and being sworn in, LMAO, so we have always had a bit of an "out there" politics in BC. It will be interesting to see federally how BC ends up voting when the federal election arrives...notoriously SWING oriented, all three major parties have led federal polling in BC in the last ten months alone.. with multiple shifts in the lead...it is anyones guess where BC ends up in october 2025.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Who gives a randy shart about posters on a hockey forum.

You've railed against Liberal spending and as you claim"corruption" for as long as you've been here.

But the party that will replace the Liberals is already engaging en masse in the exact same stuff you're pissed off about.

Are you not concerned about that?

Not installing qualified and competent people as Ministers is a massive error by the Liberals. My greatest concern is the Liberals aren't leading the country effectively and efficiently.

I'm not happy about the spouse convention thing but the Liberal corruption scandals are too long to list in which you seem not to have a problem about because of your bias. The Liberals promised they would be transparent when first getting elected, have they?

If the Conservatives engage in the same level of corruption as the Liberals we can then just vote them out.

Do you think it's wise to have someone as incompetent and unqualified as Freeland being the Finance minister? The list is long of unqualified Liberal ministers.  Their not making the changes required to have any hope in the next election.

Just like in pro hockey if the front office isn't performing, you fire them.  It's clear we need to fire the Liberals.

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, bolt said:

I'm not happy about the spouse convention thing but the Liberal corruption scandals are too long to list in which you seem not to have a problem about because of your bias.

Just like in pro hockey if the front office isn't performing, you fire them.  It's clear we need to fire the Liberals.

There have been issues. The thing about it for me is first of all, more than half of the P.P. list of 'scandals' simply aren't by any measure outside of his made up talking points. 
I point to the Agha Khan for instance. When Justin was an infant, this man was made his godfather. A lifelong family friend, so close as to be de facto family, with the godfather status, one could argue. If Justin has had 12 vacations with this guy in the exact same way before political life as the one he had that caused such alarm among conservatives: why is the one a scandal? If my brother in law pays my way to Cuba on a business trip that happens to be most of the business shareholders, ergo family, as a for instance, then why after taking a lifetime of those trips, can't i take one now just because I might be elected to some office? It was a made up scandal, and so many of the 'scandals' are so thinly scandalous in full context that it really ends up just being a list of things the guy who wants the job is throwing at a wall to see what sticks.That is my first point.

Secondly, no one is arguing there is bias to any position. WHen you adopt a position you inherently become biased in favour of that position. You are as adamantly biased as someone you are accusing of having bias..only in opposite directions from each other, that is human nature and we can not escape it. 

My final thought on it is that people aside: I don't want the team with the smartest supervillains on it to be in government versus the team with the happy go lucky dipshits. I will take Happy Go Lucky over Supervillain any day of the week, and yes I am biased against supervillains. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, bolt said:

Worst finance minister in Canadian history.  No credentials or business education other than being a  "journalist".  Bill Morneau was a huge loss for the Liberals.

How many finance ministers have you been around for? To make such a claim, you must be around 150 years old.....:classic_unsure:

BTW: CF is the one who dusted the Americans in NAFTA 2.0, so I'd say that only the first three letters of your assessment apply.....

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

How many finance ministers have you been around for? To make such a claim, you must be around 150 years old.....:classic_unsure:

BTW: CF is the one who dusted the Americans in NAFTA 2.0, so I'd say that only the first three letters of your assessment apply.....

All while the Cons were arguing that we should have just bent over and taken a worse deal.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

All while the Cons were arguing that we should have just bent over and taken a worse deal.

Yep. With everyone's favorite Righty, Stephen Harper leading the chorus.....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

e you been around for? To make such a claim, you must be around 150 years old.....:classic_unsure:

BTW: CF is the one who dusted the Americans in NAFTA 2.0, so I'd say that only the first three letters of your assessment a

Minister of Finance (Canada) - Wikipedia

Chrystia Freeland - Wikipedia

You really want to defend Freeland?

Chrystia Freeland

Education = Russian History and Literature

Job experience= Editor at the Globe and Mail, author of a Russian Communism book

Chrystia Freeland

Job experience= Editor at the Globe and Mail, author of a Russian Communism book

A hell of a lot more job experience than the piece of shit you seem to think is fit for PM with no work experience whatsoever.

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Freeland who is helping the Liberals horrible polling numbers.  Essentially turning their election hopes into dust.  Her record speaks for itself which has been terrible.  A Canadian history lesson of why we should not install incompetent/unqualified people in important roles.   

1 minute ago, bolt said:

Chrystia Freeland

Harvard graduate, managing director at Reuters, from Alberta, she oversaw our new nafta agreement with the US and MExico and our European agreement CETA... 
aside from an incomplete list of her accomplishments, what has she done wrong in your mind? lol

Just now, bolt said:

Chrystia Freeland

I just did. NAFTA 2.0. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freeland-lighthizer-evolution-of-a-trade-relationship-1.4856319

After thirteen months of bitter trade talks, complete with shouting outbursts and blunt exchanges, Canada's foreign affairs minister invited her U.S. counterpart to a celebratory meal at her home on Tuesday evening. 

Chrystia Freeland's relationship with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lightizer became strained during the negotiations, so imagining a dinner like the one held at Freeland's house, might have seemed impossible. 

But with a preliminary agreement now in place, and a signing ceremony expected next month, the obvious tensions have eased.

Multiple sources speaking on deep background described to CBC News how the relationship between Freeland and Lighthizer evolved over the past year of trade talks. 

"Bob [Lighthizer] got to the point where he respected her intellect and command of the file," said one senior source with direct knowledge of the situation.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

A hell of a lot more job experience than the piece of shit you seem to think is fit for PM with no work experience whatsoever.

The majority of Canadians disagree.  Has our National and International laughing stock announced the traitors yet or is he too busy accepting lavish vactions from Liberal donors?  

Pierre will be our next Prime Minister.   What are you going to do about that?

Edited by bolt

Freeland who is helping the Liberals horrible polling numbers.  Essentially turning their election hopes into dust.  Her record speaks for itself which has been terrible.  A Canadian history lesson of why we should not install incompetent/unqualified people in important roles.   

What's the matter? Can't answer the question?

Lets have that "history lesson" since you're familiar with every Finance Minister in Canadian history.

3 minutes ago, bolt said:

So you think that a position as important as PM should require actual work experience.  Glad we can finally agree on something.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

So you think that a position as important as PM should require actual work experience.  Glad we can finally agree on something.

So we can agree Justin Trudeau has no place in that job.  

Edited by bolt

The majority of Canadians disagree.  Has our National and International laughing stock announced the traitors yet or is he too busy accepting lavish vactions from Liberal donors?  

Ah yes....the typical debate style of CFF conservatives....when your talking points aren't worth anything, point to poll results....:classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

Just now, bolt said:

Maybe if the cons replaced Poilivre with someone who couldn't hand out a resume by reaching into the paper tray of the printer.

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What's the matter? Can't answer the question?

Lets have that "history lesson" since you're familiar with every Finance Minister in Canadian history.

I'm not here to write an essay.  Most economic metrics are falling with her at the helm.  You can look past that if you choose.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Maybe if the cons replaced Poilivre with someone who couldn't hand out a resume by reaching into the paper tray of the printer.

The electorate will decide.  Do you not respect Democracy?

Three Canadian elections in a row's voters called: they said you are 100% wrong. JT has the job because we Canadians gave it to him three times in a row now. 

not just that, but your argument therefore excludes PP entirely from eligibility, which is dumb, if the people vote him in, he has the place to be in that job.

• Cheers 1