Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

Do you know the reason why Trudeau fired his justice minister?  It’s because he asked her to get involved in the SNC-Lavalin scandal and to make it “go away”. The Ethics Commissioner of Canada even confirmed this. 

It wasn’t just a cabinet shuffle. Trudeau was trying to coerce his justice minister to make his scandal go away. There were text messages, emails, phone calls and in person meetings that confirmed this. 

I’m surprised that Trudeau was able to squirm his way out of that scandal without having to resign as PM. 

This is from the Ethics Commissioner of Canada:

In his report, Dion said the evidence showed there were many ways in which Trudeau, "either directly or through the actions of those under his direction, sought to influence the attorney general.

"The authority of the prime minister and his office was used to circumvent, undermine and ultimately attempt to discredit the decision of the director of public prosecutions as well as the authority of" Wilson-Raybould, Dion wrote.

Trudeau contravened Section 9 of the Conflict of Interest Act through a series of "flagrant attempts to influence" Wilson‑Raybould to reach an agreement with SNC-Lavalin to avoid criminal prosecution. That section of the code prohibits any official responsible for high level decision-making in government from seeking to influence the decision of another person to "improperly further another person's private interests."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-wilson-raybould-attorney-general-snc-lavalin-1.5014271#:~:text=Trudeau contravened Section 9 of,Lavalin to avoid criminal prosecution.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Pierre Pollievre, man of the blue collar working people........who's never had a grown up job, outside of politics in his life.

Trudeau has never had a grown up  job either. 

Interestingly enough, he had to abruptly leave his position as a part time drama teacher mid semester for some unknown reason. A quick google search can give you some insight into why he had to leave. 

Even PP asked him right on the HOC floor why he needed to leave that job so abruptly mid semester…

During a recent heated debate, Trudeau made the fatal mistake of inquiring about Poilievre’s past before rising to the position of opposition leader. Trudeau had no idea that he would soon face a scathing comeback that would spark a barrage of accusations.

Trudeau said, “Yes, Mr. Speaker, I was a school teacher before entering politics. I’m just having a bit of trouble recalling what exactly the leader of the opposition’s job was before diving into politics.”

To which Poilievre delivered a cutting blow, saying, with a smirk, “Yes and he left in the middle of the semester and I’m having trouble remembering why.” Ouch! The exchange sparked a storm of controversy and left Trudeau scrambling for a witty retort of his own.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

I heard women want to vote and African Americans want to eat at the counter with the rest of the world.

Ugh

Yeah I don't support racism and I don't support discriminating against women and I don't think that equates to asking me to deny reality. Anyhow, I did bring my phone with me and opened it up but I probably shouldn't have lol. But I will add I don't think that any discussion with you is going any where. I mean not criticizing you at all. I just don't think it's getting us anywhere. I mean as a teacher in a teacher's union in British Columbia know less, It's not very hard to see you're going to hate everything Conservative and love everything NDP and I think it's easy for the new Democrats to love Trudeau because he's just as left wing as they are.

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah I don't support racism and I don't support discriminating against women and I don't think that equates to asking me to deny reality. Anyhow, I did bring my phone with me and opened it up but I probably shouldn't have lol. But I will add I don't think that any discussion with you is going any where. I mean not criticizing you at all. I just don't think it's getting us anywhere. I mean as a teacher and a teacher's union in British Columbia know less. It's not very hard to see you're going to hate everything. Conservative and love everything NDP and I think it's easy for the new Democrats to love Trudeau because he's just as left wing as they are.

So its only the LGBT community that you discriminate against ?

• ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Interestingly enough, he had to abruptly leave his position as a part time drama teacher mid semester for some unknown reason. A quick google search can give you some insight into why he had to leave. 

Even PP asked him right on the HOC floor why he needed to leave that job so abruptly mid semester…

During a recent heated debate, Trudeau made the fatal mistake of inquiring about Poilievre’s past before rising to the position of opposition leader. Trudeau had no idea that he would soon face a scathing comeback that would spark a barrage of accusations.

Trudeau said, “Yes, Mr. Speaker, I was a school teacher before entering politics. I’m just having a bit of trouble recalling what exactly the leader of the opposition’s job was before diving into politics.”

To which Poilievre delivered a cutting blow, saying, with a smirk, “Yes and he left in the middle of the semester and I’m having trouble remembering why.” Ouch! The exchange sparked a storm of controversy and left Trudeau scrambling for a witty retort of his own.

That was epic when that happened. I loved it

3 minutes ago, moosehead said:

So its only the LGBT community that you discriminate against ?

No, I don't think I'm discriminating against them. In one conversation you tell me to trust science and the other one you tell me to ignore it. So confused

Edited by Ryan Strome

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau was trying to coerce his justice minister to make his scandal go away.

The scandal WAS that he was asking for the Justice Minister to use a form of punishment that didn't lead to SNC lavalin closing up shop in Canada and laying off up to 12,000 people, it wasn't a scandal for the Prime Mimister until she refused and made it public. 🙄 if anyone here thinks PM's throughout history have not pointed out directions to their Justice Ministers I have a bridge to sell you in New York. This was a scandal that led to the newly created office of the Ethics Commish. On account of the cabinet infighting becoming public. 

It is what it is, and the record shows it, but I am correcting that it became a scandal due to the PM wishing for a Deffered Prosecution Agreement that would hold the company to account for its bribery in Lybia, where nothing gets done without bribes, in order to save the companies dealings and 12000 jobs in Canada. That caused the scandal, it wasn't "Trudeau's Scandal" that he was trying to cover,.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah I don't support racism and I don't support discriminating against women and I don't think that equates to asking me to deny reality. Anyhow, I did bring my phone with me and opened it up but I probably shouldn't have lol. But I will add I don't think that any discussion with you is going any where. I mean not criticizing you at all. I just don't think it's getting us anywhere. I mean as a teacher in a teacher's union in British Columbia know less, It's not very hard to see you're going to hate everything Conservative and love everything NDP and I think it's easy for the new Democrats to love Trudeau because he's just as left wing as they are.

What's the bctf got to do with it?  I know many teachers who vote Con who are a part of the BCTF.

Equality doesn't come with a "yeah, but".  People don't have to like or agree with the choices a person makes but  they do have to treat them with respect and basic human dignity.  

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but don’t you have to be working at a job to leave it? Also are you the arbiter of what is a “grown up job”?

And finally is sticking sharp knives on your boots and firing a rubber lump around the ice a grown up job?

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Trudeau did have a regular job; he was a school teacher. And why did he leave part way through the school year? 

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's the bctf got to do with it?  I know many teachers who vote Con who are a part of the BCTF.

Equality doesn't come with a "yeah, but".  People don't have to like or agree with the choices a person makes but  they do have to treat them with respect and basic human dignity.  

That last part I wholeheartedly agree with you. But if I went into the Donald Trump thread, all I seen was how people wanted him dead. They hoped his son was dead. They helped anybody who voted Republican was dead. These people that did this were self-described, liberals and Democrats.

14 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Which science are you being told to ignore?

Let me ask you a question. Is there only just male and female?

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah, that's it. Suddenly there's 7,000 different genders and we think that we will save the world by taxing fuel.

So what? Why should anyone else be concerned with how another person sees themself? It doesn’t matter. Boy girl or other. As long as we a good people. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

So what? Why should anyone else be concerned with how another person sees themself? It doesn’t matter. Boy girl or other. As long as we a good people. 

I have no issue with this post at all  My friend. They can be whatever they want to be but do not try to convince me to play make believe.

Just now, 4petesake said:

Ooh, Oohhh!! I know this one.

No.

What does science tell you about that?

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

That last part I wholeheartedly agree with you. But if I went into the Donald Trump thread, all I seen was how people wanted him dead. They hoped his son was dead. They helped anybody who voted Republican was dead. These people that did this were self-described, liberals and Democrats.

Let me ask you a question. Is there only just male and female?

A person like Trump inflicts great damage on our society.  Queer people do not

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

A person like Trump inflicts great damage on our society.  Queer people do not

Oh so now it's okay that we can wish death upon some people as long as we don't like that person? And you are a teacher?

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Science tells me there are hermaphrodites.

So does growing up on a farm.

Yeah I thought you might have trouble answering that one.