Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Household debt as share of GDP. 🇨🇦 Canada: 103% 🇬🇧 UK: 80% 🇺🇸 US: 73% 🇫🇷 France: 63% 🇨🇳 China: 62% 🇩🇪 Germany: 52% 🇪🇸 Spain: 48% 🇮🇹 Italy: 39% 🇮🇳 India: 37% 🇿🇦 South Africa: 34% 🇧🇷 Brazil: 34% 🇸🇦 Saudi: 32% 🇷🇺 Russia: 22% 🇮🇩 Indonesia: 16% 🇲🇽 Mexico: 16% 🇹🇷 Turkey: 11%

11 minutes ago, bolt said:

Household debt as share of GDP. 🇨🇦 Canada: 103% 🇬🇧 UK: 80% 🇺🇸 US: 73% 🇫🇷 France: 63% 🇨🇳 China: 62% 🇩🇪 Germany: 52% 🇪🇸 Spain: 48% 🇮🇹 Italy: 39% 🇮🇳 India: 37% 🇿🇦 South Africa: 34% 🇧🇷 Brazil: 34% 🇸🇦 Saudi: 32% 🇷🇺 Russia: 22% 🇮🇩 Indonesia: 16% 🇲🇽 Mexico: 16% 🇹🇷 Turkey: 11%

That's better than 2011

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investment-ideas/can-canada-go-the-way-of-greece/article4179962/

In this case, total debt to GDP looks quite similar between Canada and Greece: 203 per cent for Canada vs. 195 per cent for Greece. In fact, Canada is in the top five countries in the world when you include government and household debt; Greece is not.

Or 2009?

image.png.d98a44b6ffba2a2fd77b0501294b1f55.png

2011/2012

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/household_spending_debt.pdf

Household borrowing has been on a steady upward trend in recent years and the aggregate ratio of household debt to personal disposable (after taxes and interest payments) income currently stands at a little over 160 per cent. Please see footnote for important information regarding recent revisions affecting this ratio and its comparability with previous estimates and with corresponding U.S. data.2

1 hour ago, bolt said:

Weird, I haven't had the government step in and force me to rack up my credit card.

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

I wonder if their also members of this forum?

the pleb...that's the guy Pierre is good friends with.  Keep up the "good work" right?

That's kinda disgusting company to be keeping.

Seems like the only actual proof that these are "liberals" is because this bald chump says they are

Oh by the way, this you?

Sorry are you one of these nazis?  Alt right white power types?  See.  if I say it it must be so right?

Kidding kinda but not really.

Here's your people.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-cuts-appearance-in-belleville-ont-short-as-protesters-swarm-motorcade-1.6487830

https://globalnews.ca/video/9848640/trudeau-swarmed-by-dozens-of-protesters-in-belleville-ont

I mean since we're going to label any protestor as being "liberal" in your camp.  Gonna ask if these alt right white power nazis who are obviously conservatives might be members of this forum.

• Cheers 1

Byelection in Liberal stronghold seen as a referendum on Trudeau | Watch (msn.com)

Byelection in Liberal stronghold seen as a referendum on Trudeau

A federal byelection in the Liberal stronghold of Toronto–St. Paul's on June 24 may have wider political implications for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. This time around, polls suggest a Liberal victory may not be a given as many voters — even longtime Liberal voters — are looking for change. 

Toronto byelection mirrors choice for voters in next federal vote: Trudeau (msn.com)

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the choice facing voters in a Toronto federal byelection will "mirror" the one they will face in the next federal election.

Toronto-St. Paul’s has long been considered a Liberal stronghold, but the vote scheduled for next Monday is shaping up to be more competitive, and as national-level polling suggests, voters across the country are eager for change.

Trudeau was asked Thursday whether he considers the byelection a test of his leadership.

"There’s a real choice that people will make in St. Paul’s, which will mirror the choice people will have to make next year in the federal election," he said, speaking in French.

The general election must be called by October 2025.

But Ipsos polling done exclusively for Global News show if an election were held tomorrow, Conservatives would secure 42 per cent of the decided vote.

Toronto-St. Paul's has remained red for nearly three decades. Longtime Liberal staffer Leslie Church is running to replace former MP Carolyn Bennet, who held the seat for 26 years.

The Conservatives have nominated financial professional Don Stewart as their candidate.

If a riding that has stayed red for 30 years switches blue, Trudeau could face pressure from within his own party, ahead of the general election.

Ipsos says Trudeau's waning popularity appears to be “dragging” the Liberals’ fortunes down.

A majority of voters (68 per cent) want him to step down, with Ipsos CEO Darrell Bricker describing the numbers as “close to rock bottom," while Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is gaining ground.

But Trudeau criticized his political opponent Thursday, during an announcement on the national school food program in Central Nova, N.S.

The prime minister said Poilievre is on the side of the wealthiest Canadians and did not support policies like dental care and pharmacare.

"Are we a country where we abandon people, especially in hard times," asked Trudeau in French. "The choice is clear for people in St. Paul’s and across the country," he added.

• ThereItIs 1

https://globalnews.ca/news/10574422/justin-trudeau-should-he-resign-ipsos/

Support for Trudeau nears ‘rock bottom’ as 68% want him to step down: Ipsos

As the House of Commons prepares to break for the summer, a majority of Canadians say Justin Trudeau should no longer be prime minister when MPs return in the fall, a new poll suggests.

Ipsos polling done exclusively for Global News shows 68 per cent of Canadians want Trudeau to step down. The desire for him to call it quits is highest in Alberta (79 per cent) and Atlantic Canada (76 per cent.)

“This is as bad as we’ve seen it for Trudeau. It’s close to rock bottom,” said Ipsos CEO Darrell Bricker.

The poll also shows 75 per cent of Canadians want another party to take over, while just 25 per cent think the Liberals “deserve reelection.”

“What’s worse is that they have thrown everything they can think of at changing this dynamic,” Bricker said. “Nothing has worked. It’s frozen in solid.”

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10574422/justin-trudeau-should-he-resign-ipsos/

Support for Trudeau nears ‘rock bottom’ as 68% want him to step down: Ipsos

As the House of Commons prepares to break for the summer, a majority of Canadians say Justin Trudeau should no longer be prime minister when MPs return in the fall, a new poll suggests.

Ipsos polling done exclusively for Global News shows 68 per cent of Canadians want Trudeau to step down. The desire for him to call it quits is highest in Alberta (79 per cent) and Atlantic Canada (76 per cent.)

“This is as bad as we’ve seen it for Trudeau. It’s close to rock bottom,” said Ipsos CEO Darrell Bricker.

The poll also shows 75 per cent of Canadians want another party to take over, while just 25 per cent think the Liberals “deserve reelection.”

“What’s worse is that they have thrown everything they can think of at changing this dynamic,” Bricker said. “Nothing has worked. It’s frozen in solid.”

The Liberals have floated possible successors to Trudeau for the past year. Even tried to resurrect Bill Morneau. Dumbing down the message whether by Liberals or the CPC goes on at an increasing pace. Politicians realize that voters don't put a lot of thought into their support. All Canadians care right now is that their standard of living is deteriorating so Trudy out and PP in. The idea that government spending is unsustainable, national security is at risk and that there is no long term industrial plan just doesn't resonate. It is highly like we will have another general election where national issues are not debated. Progressive thought has ruled the country for 9 years and has been an absolute failure. Liberals must look at the Wynn legacy in Ontario and have nightmares at the federal level.  

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Liberals have floated possible successors to Trudeau for the past year. Even tried to resurrect Bill Morneau. Dumbing down the message whether by Liberals or the CPC goes on at an increasing pace. Politicians realize that voters don't put a lot of thought into their support. All Canadians care right now is that their standard of living is deteriorating so Trudy out and PP in. The idea that government spending is unsustainable, national security is at risk and that there is no long term industrial plan just doesn't resonate. It is highly like we will have another general election where national issues are not debated. Progressive thought has ruled the country for 9 years and has been an absolute failure. Liberals must look at the Wynn legacy in Ontario and have nightmares at the federal level.  

When did they try to bring back Morneau :classic_blink:

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I find this curious, the TMX expansion is up and running at 80% capacity, we finally have AB oil to tidewater. (https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/trans-mountain-pipeline-running-80-full-to-load-22-oil-tankers-in-vancouver/ar-BB1o6Yr2)

why is this not being celebrated by the CPC?

Well, duh... because it's not going at 110%... :classic_rolleyes: ...so again, it's Turdope's fault... :classic_rolleyes:

:hurhur:

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I find this curious, the TMX expansion is up and running at 80% capacity, we finally have AB oil to tidewater. (https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/trans-mountain-pipeline-running-80-full-to-load-22-oil-tankers-in-vancouver/ar-BB1o6Yr2)

why is this not being celebrated by the CPC?

Conservatives described Trudeau as the most “anti-oil” pm in Canadian history yet here we are 9 years into his time as PM and Canada’s oil production hits record highs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trans-mountain-pipeline-1.7179268

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-february-oil-production-record-tmx-1.7162316

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Conservatives described Trudeau as the most “anti-oil” pm in Canadian history yet here we are 9 years into his time as PM and Canada’s oil production hits record highs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-february-oil-production-record-tmx-1.7162316

They seem more concerned about how a goal is achieved than the outcome.  See their votes against the government funding contraception despite the fact that this will directly lead to a decrease in abortions.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I guess I find it interesting. I'm not going to "@" anyone, but where's the celebration? this is something AB has wanted for many years. 

Sounds like Kitimat might be shipping LNG in 2025 as well. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Trudeau should have read the writing on the wall last year already and stepped down for a new leadership contest.  He's basically handing the country over to another Con opportunist who uses hot button wedge issues and conspiracy theories to scare people. 

But sometimes folks are just tired of the same leader.  Like his dad, Justine's young enough to come back after a decade. Hubris.

Both Trudeau and Biden in the US should have stepped down for a new fresh leader. (Someone like a Gavin Newsom would have mopped the floor against Trump).  I've resigned myself to another Conservative majority in Canada  But it would be catastrophic if the US and Canada both went far right at the same time. They'd both gut the treasuries with giant tax breaks and subsidies to the largest corporations and individuals....the ones on the top of their donor list. And probably exacerbate inflation and cause recessions like Cons and Repubs always do in office.  Gas will be a few cents cheaper for a bit with the tax axed, until the oil companies simply raise it back up, pocketing the change.  And the planet will get a little warmer. Screw the next generation.

Together, Poulievre and Trump could do so much more damage to workers and families. Re-open once again the former Free Trade Agreement, forget what the new one is called.  And strip any and all labour and environmental considerations. Both countries could pull out of the Paris Climate Change agreement.  Both could stop helping Ukraine. I shudder to think of what else.

Edited by kilgore

28 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Trudeau should have read the writing on the wall last year already and stepped down for a new leadership contest.  He's basically handing the country over to another Con opportunist who uses hot button wedge issues and conspiracy theories to scare people. 

But sometimes folks are just tired of the same leader.  Like his dad, Justine's young enough to come back after a decade. Hubris.

Both Trudeau and Biden in the US should have stepped down for a new fresh leader. (Someone like a Gavin Newsom would have mopped the floor against Trump).  I've resigned myself to another Conservative majority in Canada  But it would be catastrophic if the US and Canada both went far right at the same time. They'd both gut the treasuries with giant tax breaks and subsidies to the largest corporations and individuals....the ones on the top of their donor list. And probably exacerbate inflation and cause recessions like Cons and Repubs always do in office.  Gas will be a few cents cheaper for a bit with the tax axed, until the oil companies simply raise it back up, pocketing the change.  And the planet will get a little warmer. Screw the next generation.

Together, Poulievre and Trump could do so much more damage to workers and families. Re-open once again the former Free Trade Agreement, forget what the new one is called.  And strip any and all labour and environmental considerations. Both countries could pull out of the Paris Climate Change agreement.  Both could stop helping Ukraine. I shudder to think of what else.

Or, maybe we on the left need to put aside some personal interest and vote for the bigger picture.

PP is a shit person who should never hold power. That should be the thing top of mind.

I know I'll be voting strategically with that in mind, I'm just not sure most NDP supporters would. I hope so.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Or, maybe we on the left need to put aside some personal interest and vote for the bigger picture.

PP is a shit person who should never hold power. That should be the thing top of mind.

I know I'll be voting strategically with that in mind, I'm just not sure most NDP supporters would. I hope so.

I usually end up voting strategically.  It's why I want ranked ballot so we can stop this nonsense and vote the way we'd actually like to.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Strange Days indeed.

I had been an NDP voter for most of my voting age life.  Not counting that first vote for Conservatives when I turned 18, and based solely on my fathers preferences and before I really studied political history.

Once I did that, I voted my conscience, for the party who were most concerned with actual problems of ordinary people, speaking truth to power, and putting their money where their mouth is, which was the NDP.  That is until Harper came along. After almost a decade of his mismanagement I voted strategically for the Liberals. Especially knowing that in my riding, its Cons vs Libs, the NDP has no shot.  Anyone But Harper was the goal.  And have since used that logic, at least federally, to keep out the Cons. 

The Right has moved so far into extremist and conspiracy laden fear mongering bs, that its more about preserving the Canadian way of life for me. If the Cons get in, say goodbye to the CBC, climate change action, the new dental care program, and any new pharmacare program, or new affordable housing. . More catering to radical reich politics benefiting the wealthiest, and born again religious nuts.  Its more important to stop that than adding my name to a party that hold most of my beliefs but can't win in my riding. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I usually end up voting strategically.  It's why I want ranked ballot so we can stop this nonsense and vote the way we'd actually like to.

One of most backstabbing 180's in Trudeau promises not to start the process towards some form of a Proportional Representation voting system.   His ego was swelled by his first majority  victory, and he must have thought short term and selfishly.  Hey...first past the post resulted in a big majority for him to work with.  In a PR system that would be very difficult to reproduce.

I think he purposely put his foot down on only one form of PR he would accept.  And when it wasn't, he had his excuse to renege. He completely ignored the possibility of some future Con also taking advantage of that system and gaining a huge, dictatorial like majority to gut a lot of what he has accomplished.

That is one reason why I don't have to hold my nose too tightly to vote for Liberals.  Because Joyce Murray is my rep.  And she is the one who most forcefully endorsed a PR change in the federal Liberal leadership convention. i wish she would have won.