Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The NDP at least wants to introduce more regulation.  The Cons actually want to make the problem worse.  Electing them is the equivalent of hiring Mike Millbury because you're not happy with your GM's performance.

K but you didn't actually answer my question.

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

K but you didn't actually answer my question.

Where in my original post did I indicated as such.    I was just pointing out that the Cons are going to intentionally make this problem worse, which I see as an inferior approach to doing nothing.

If defeating Trudeau is such a fait de complaite in october 2025: Why on earth would a conservative supporter want Trudeau to step down early and be replaced by another Liberal as PM before such a defeat happens in an election? Is it not in CONs best interests to face Trudeau in a General Election? I am confused a bit by the mixed messaging. The Liberal positions will not change under a new leader, the laws won't be undone and the course of action in the short term, between now and Fall 2025, will not change much whatsoever. 

I am left thinking that the only possible reason to call for Trudeau's rapid departure is that Pepi Le Pew doesn't want to run against Trudeau in the next election, and is a bit scarred of having to. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The NDP at least wants to introduce more regulation.  The Cons actually want to make the problem worse.  Electing them is the equivalent of hiring Mike Millbury because you're not happy with your GM's performance.

Mike Milbury has already been the GM of this country for the last 9 years...

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

If defeating Trudeau is such a fait de complaite in october 2025: Why on earth would a conservative supporter want Trudeau to step down early and be replaced by another Liberal as PM before such a defeat happens in an election? Is it not in CONs best interests to face Trudeau in a General Election? I am confused a bit by the mixed messaging. The Liberal positions will not change under a new leader, the laws won't be undone and the course of action in the short term, between now and Fall 2025, will not change much whatsoever. 

I am left thinking that the only possible reason to call for Trudeau's rapid departure is that Pepi Le Pew doesn't want to run against Trudeau in the next election, and is a bit scarred of having to. 

I would just think it's impatience. The constant polling gives the impression they've won already so why draw it out? Of course, it is to Trudeau's benefit to not do it now. 

It's too late for any policy enacted now to take an effect on the Public opinion, so I'm curious what the Liberals are doing. NDP are quiet as well, this is a shame for them as the Liberal flank was wide open for them to pick up seats. Probably due for new leadership too.

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

Based on the bye election defeat, IMO there is no hope anymore of a Liberal victory next October, no matter who is in charge.  The people have spoken.  So, it's a moot point whether Trudeau hangs around or not.  If the Liberals cannot win a bye election in a Liberal stronghold of 30+ years, how do you expect them to even get a seat west of Ontario?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Shelter costs going up isn't a 'trend".  It's been going up for over a year now and quite frankly it's out of control.  Something must be done about it.  At every government level...

It's been going on a lot longer than a year 

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Based on the bye election defeat, IMO there is no hope anymore of a Liberal victory next October, no matter who is in charge.  The people have spoken.  So, it's a moot point whether Trudeau hangs around or not.  If the Liberals cannot win a bye election in a Liberal stronghold of 30+ years, how do you expect them to even get a seat west of Ontario?

One riding has spoken 😄 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Valid point, it is highly unlikely the new Member of Parliament will win re-election in the general, but I still salute the campaign and the win, it was a good one.
Voter Turnout was apathetic as usual at 36 thousand of 85 thousand registered or 42% of the regions voters that actually showed up. while the win was by 600 votes in total, by a highly motivated opposition challenger it would be disingenuous to state that a similar result would have occurred with 55 to 65% voter turnout. I don't want to take away from the feat of winning against the odds in that riding, I just don't see it happening in a general. Another significant 5000 votes went to other progressive parties, and another 1100 votes went to the absurdly long list of people who got under 100 votes each, mostly from the 70 or 80 people who some mystery team paid and lied to get on the ballot as a 'protest' group of candidates. (you need a lot of voters to sign your nomination papers, claiming to support you to get on the ballot, and yet most of these people got less than 10 votes each, with one guy not even apparently voting for himself, with zero votes)

Again not taking away from the win, but explaining it. over 1k oddball votes and 5000 other progressive votes while barely defeating a new to the riding candidate by 600 with 42% turnout is hardly anything to gloat about or send a Prime Minister packing. That being said, obviously it doesn't look good for the Trudeau Government. 

• ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Loblaws lobbyist wins.   

Tell us how that's gonna help with the price of groceries????

Tbh I've been getting some great deals at city mart downtown. I don't get how Walmart is a better idea.

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

One riding has spoken 😄 

One Liberal stronghold riding.  If the Liberals can't win in a guaranteed riding, they are gonna get smoked in every riding west of Ontario.  This is gonna be a Brian Mulroney level whitewashing next October...

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

One Liberal stronghold riding.  If the Liberals can't win in a guaranteed riding, they are gonna get smoked in every riding west of Ontario.  This is gonna be a Brian Mulroney level whitewashing next October...

Uh huh. 

The turnout reflected people tired of Trudeau much more than giddy over Skippy.

If Trudeau stays sure you may be correct. If not it's all up for grabs if Skippy loses his anti- Trudeau shtick.

38 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hey what's Canada made up of? 

Smart and sensible immigration which has completely gone to the wayside. 

Having hundreds of people lining up for a shitty Tim Hortons job your idea of sensible and smart immigration?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Smart and sensible immigration which has completely gone to the wayside. 

Having hundreds of people lining up for a shitty Tim Hortons job your idea of sensible and smart immigration?

They complain there is not enough housing, but when you point out that high immigration levels are a direct cause of that you are labeled anti-immigration.  For the life of me I can't figure these people out.

Yes, our country is made from immigrants.  Did anyone in this thread ever dispute that?  Immigration itself is not the problem, it's the AMOUNT of immigrants coming into the country that is the issue.  For the 1000th time...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They complain there is not enough housing, but when you point out that high immigration levels are a direct cause of that you are labeled anti-immigration.  For the life of me I can't figure these people out.

Yes, our country is made from immigrants.  Did anyone in this thread ever dispute that?  Immigration itself is not the problem, it's the AMOUNT of immigrants coming into the country that is the issue.  For the 1000th time...

GoVeRnMeNt PoLiCy HaS nO aFfeCt On HoUsInG

• ThereItIs 1

Issues arising, from coast to coast, isn’t necessarily about how many people are coming in, but more to do with how much infrastructure is in place to deal with the influx, ie. housing, schools, medical services/hospitals, etc. 

Canada is ‘great’ because of immigrants but without the support to sustain them and those that are already established, that’s the root cause of discord amongst the populace, imo. 

I would also say that Canada isn’t as selective as other nations. Canada isn’t prioritizing as many skilled/educated immigrants as they are just letting most people ‘in’. 

Just my two cents. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would say the level of immigration is probably the #1 reason for the skyrocketing rental rates in Canada...

I would proffer that it’s lack of infrastructure as the #1 reason, imo. 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would proffer that it’s lack of infrastructure as the #1 reason, imo. 

Rents prices soared in 2023 as we saw the lowest vacancy rate in our history.  What caused us to have the lowest vacancy rate in our history in 2023?

Rent prices soared in 2023 as Canada saw lowest vacancy rate on record | CBC News

Canada immigration statistics - Wikipedia

while the greatest number of immigrants admitted to Canada in single year occurred in 2023, with 471,550 persons accounting for 1.2 percent of the total population.[3][4][5][6]