Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

NIMBY, municipal and provincial governments get most of the blame here.  Somehow, its all pretty boys fault.  

Even pretty boy and his cronies admitted immigration levels were too high.  But most people understand this which is why pretty boy can't even win a byelection in a 30+ year Liberal stronghold riding...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Rents prices soared in 2023 as we saw the lowest vacancy rate in our history.  What caused us to have the lowest vacancy rate in our history in 2023?

Rent prices soared in 2023 as Canada saw lowest vacancy rate on record | CBC News

Canada immigration statistics - Wikipedia

while the greatest number of immigrants admitted to Canada in single year occurred in 2023, with 471,550 persons accounting for 1.2 percent of the total population.[3][4][5][6]

Supply and Demand. 

Again, infrastructure takes care of most issues around immigration. 

The Boomers are leaving the economy en masse. Canada needs replacement via immigration. 

Most of us are actually talking about the same thing. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Even pretty boy and his cronies admitted immigration levels were too high.  But most people understand this which is why pretty boy can't even win a byelection in a 30+ year Liberal stronghold riding...

The Feds have addressed the issue by curtailing immigration going forward. 

They, however, haven’t fully addressed it by increasing infrastructure funding. That’s the real problem. 

Conservatives won’t address the underlying issues because, ‘small gov’t’, reduced immigration, blah blah blah, under Polieve. 

10 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Supply and Demand. 

Again, infrastructure takes care of most issues around immigration. 

The Boomers are leaving the economy en masse. Canada needs replacement via immigration. 

Most of us are actually talking about the same thing. 

No one is arguing that Canada needs immigration.  It's the AMOUNT of immigration that is the issue.  The Liberal government even admitted that immigration levels were too high.  Here is a direct quote from Trudeau himself...

Canada's ultra-liberal prime minister Justin Trudeau admits immigration into his country is too high and that number of newcomers must be 'brought down' (msn.com)

Addressing an audience at a housing announcement in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, on Tuesday, Justin Trudeau said the number of temporary foreign workers coming into Canada has increased at a rate 'far beyond what Canada has been able to absorb'. 

The prime minister, known for his liberal stance on immigration, said the number of temporary migrants in Canada more than tripled in the last seven years, and must be 'brought under control'. 

'Whether it's temporary foreign workers or whether it's international students in particular, that have grown at a rate far beyond what Canada has been able to absorb,' Trudeau said. 

Infrastructure takes decades to complete.  You are talking about roads, schools, transportation, shopping, etc.  It's not a quick fix.  It should have started 20 years ago.  And it's at all levels of government, not just federal.  So it's not a quick fix and won't take care of things anytime soon...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The Feds have addressed the issue by curtailing immigration going forward. 

They, however, haven’t fully addressed it by increasing infrastructure funding. That’s the real problem. 

Conservatives won’t address the underlying issues because, ‘small gov’t’, reduced immigration, blah blah blah, under Polieve. 

Sure, 7 years later and they are just fixing the problem now.  It's too late now.  Rents aren't coming down, they are going up at a dramatic rate and are THE major driver of inflation along with mortgage rates.  Unless, this issue is fixed inflation will not be curtailed anytime soon...

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No one is arguing that Canada needs immigration.  It's the AMOUNT of immigration that is the issue.  The Liberal government even admitted that immigration levels were too high.  Here is a direct quote from Trudeau himself...

Canada's ultra-liberal prime minister Justin Trudeau admits immigration into his country is too high and that number of newcomers must be 'brought down' (msn.com)

Addressing an audience at a housing announcement in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, on Tuesday, Justin Trudeau said the number of temporary foreign workers coming into Canada has increased at a rate 'far beyond what Canada has been able to absorb'. 

The prime minister, known for his liberal stance on immigration, said the number of temporary migrants in Canada more than tripled in the last seven years, and must be 'brought under control'. 

'Whether it's temporary foreign workers or whether it's international students in particular, that have grown at a rate far beyond what Canada has been able to absorb,' Trudeau said. 

Infrastructure takes decades to complete.  You are talking about roads, schools, transportation, shopping, etc.  It's not a quick fix.  It should have started 20 years ago.  And it's at all levels of government, not just federal.  So it's not a quick fix and won't take care of things anytime soon...

Appreciate the feedback. Well aware about the levels of immigration. 

My point is that the issues aren’t about the ‘level’ but about the ability to ‘support’

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, 7 years later and they are just fixing the problem now.  It's too late now.  Rents aren't coming down, they are going up at a dramatic rate and are THE major driver of inflation along with mortgage rates.  Unless, this issue is fixed inflation will not be curtailed anytime soon...

I agree, the ‘horse is out of the barn’, and now is the time to double/triple down on infrastructure investment, on all fronts. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Appreciate the feedback. Well aware about the levels of immigration. 

My point is that the issues aren’t about the ‘level’ but about the ability to ‘support’

I can only assume the federal liberal government has all the numbers on housing starts/completions, rental starts/completions and vacancy percentages across the country. To not look at all those numbers and just increase immigration makes it the number one issue to me

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My retort is that immigration pressures are not going away.  Conflicts, climate change, the after effects of the global pandemic.

You can complain that immigration levels are too high, but if things keep going the way they are going, you ain't seen nothing yet.  And the CON side of the isle are not going to work on addressing those issues.  Plenty of CONs bitch about foreign aid.  Bitch about climate change policies.  Bitch about public health policies and vaccines.  

But hey, here's your gold metal for blaming immigrants for our problems.  Bravo. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I can only assume the federal liberal government has all the numbers on housing starts/completions, rental starts/completions and vacancy percentages across the country. To not look at all those numbers and just increase immigration makes it the number one issue to me

I'm pretty sure Trudeau has those numbers considering even I have them and they are publicly available.  The fact is that the Liberal government ignored those numbers and went ahead with rapid immigration anyways, in order to pander to their base.  Just like balancing budgets, they figured immigration would take care of itself and the housing issue would fix itself.  It was very short sighted and had to do more with politics than fiscal management.  Increasing debt loads by spending like a drunken sailor only made the problem worse.  Now we have not only a housing crisis, but we also have a $50 billion debt payment that we have to pay off every year.  On top of that inflation isn't even curbed yet, it's still rising as per the numbers this month, mostly because of rents and shelter costs.  

And people wonder why the Liberals can't even win a byelection in one of their strongest Liberal ridings...

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Infrastructure makes immigration a moot point. 

When ‘we’ all have access then we all prosper. 

If people get squeezed out, then the blame always gets put on the newest ones. 

That’s unfair and unnecessary. 

3 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

My retort is that immigration pressures are not going away.  Conflicts, climate change, the after effects of the global pandemic.

You can complain that immigration levels are too high, but if things keep going the way they are going, you ain't seen nothing yet.  And the CON side of the isle are not going to work on addressing those issues.  Plenty of CONs bitch about foreign aid.  Bitch about climate change policies.  Bitch about public health policies and vaccines.  

But hey, here's your gold metal for blaming immigrants for our problems.  Bravo. 

Typical spin from the Trudeau apologists.  Even Trudeau himself admitted that immigration levels were too high and has adjusted the numbers downwards.  So, even Trudeau himself admitted that immigration is a problem, so why can't you?

12 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ultra-liberal

What the hell is that?   Is the next level Super Ultra-Liberal????  

What is the criteria to qualify as Ultra-liberal???

Careful, we'll be put on double secret probation.

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Typical spin from the Trudeau apologists.  Even Trudeau himself admitted that immigration levels were too high and has adjusted the numbers downwards.  So, even Trudeau himself admitted that immigration is a problem, so why can't you?

I just don't see it as big an issue as you and the CON side of the isle are making it out to be.  It has highlighted long standing issues that governments from BOTH sides of the isle has largely dropped the ball.  Immigration is a symptom of problems.  Not the cause of said problems.  That's where you and I differ.

I also see the pandemic as having created a set of unique conditions where this large increase in immigration could happen.  Exacerbated by the fact that there were immigrants who were set to come to Canada, but couldn't due to restrictions in travel during the height of said pandemic.

In this issue I am not a Trudope apologist.  I'm just not going to agree or be associated with bigots and morons and the Peoples Party of Crazy.

8 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I just don't see it as big an issue as you and the CON side of the isle are making it out to be.  It has highlighted long standing issues that governments from BOTH sides of the isle has largely dropped the ball.  Immigration is a symptom of problems.  Not the cause of said problems.  That's where you and I differ.

I also see the pandemic as having created a set of unique conditions where this large increase in immigration could happen.  Exacerbated by the fact that there were immigrants who were set to come to Canada, but couldn't due to restrictions in travel during the height of said pandemic.

In this issue I am not a Trudope apologist.  I'm just not going to agree or be associated with bigots and morons and the Peoples Party of Crazy.

Yep.  It's not the amount of immigrants that Poilivre and his supporters object to, it's the colour.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

which has completely gone to the wayside. 

No Rick it hasn't. We need many more.

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Having hundreds of people lining up for a shitty Tim Hortons job your idea of sensible and smart immigration?

Ridiculous. Tim's can't find enough employees like most other businesses right now.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ridiculous. Tim's can't find enough employees like most other businesses right now.

There's a lot of jobs that people born here, for whatever reason, aren't willing to do for the amount and conditions being offered.  The alternative is Tim's either jacking up their prices or going out of business.  The cons will blame Trudeau for that too.

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So, people are going to come all the way to Canada to work at a Tim Horton's for minimum wage and then pay $3000 per month for their 2 bedroom condo?  Is that the new Canadian dream, to make enough money just to pay rent?

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, people are going to come all the way to Canada to work at a Tim Horton's for minimum wage and then pay $3000 per month for their 2 bedroom condo?  Is that the new Canadian dream, to make enough money just to pay rent?

No different than any other period in history.  It's an improvement over where they're from, and the hope is that their children have a better life.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I guess you've never heard of people in homes having different types of jobs. 

So enlighten me, whats Skippy going to do, simply not have immigration? only if you won't work at Tims? I'm having trouble following all the straw men today.  Hey maybe straw man is a new job Skippy can create. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I guess you've never heard of people in homes having different types of jobs. 

So enlighten me, whats Skippy going to do, simply not have immigration? only if you won't work at Tims? I'm having trouble following all the straw men today.  Hey maybe straw man is a new job Skippy can create. 

Something about this line of thinking comes across as very classist to me.  We need people to do the jobs we don't want to.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Again....you realize that BC just isn't Vancouver and other rent high cities right?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Smart and sensible immigration which has completely gone to the wayside. 

Having hundreds of people lining up for a shitty Tim Hortons job your idea of sensible and smart immigration?

Quick and serious question.

Economists have rightly pegged the immigration levels as part of why our GDP has been growing the last 40 years.  That new immigrants are in fact an economic boon.

The numbers are absurd yes.  But what happens when you cut that extra $ ?

Just curious.  Because the promised closing of or shuttering of our borders means less extra $ and less labour force.

What happens to the economy when jobs aren't filled and that influx from immigration is gone?

• Cheers 2