Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Something about this line of thinking comes across as very classist to me.  We need people to do the jobs we don't want to.

its also just simplistic hogwash.

I get it, Skippy supporters want to try to simplify it all down to a meme, basically, thats ultimately Justin's fault. 

If you actually read the work being done to plan for it, its far more nuanced than the discussion Skippys Army would like you to have: https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/Committee/421/CIMM/Reports/RP10541650/cimmrp25/cimmrp25-e.pdf

40 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I just don't see it as big an issue as you and the CON side of the isle are making it out to be.  It has highlighted long standing issues that governments from BOTH sides of the isle has largely dropped the ball.  Immigration is a symptom of problems.  Not the cause of said problems.  That's where you and I differ.

I also see the pandemic as having created a set of unique conditions where this large increase in immigration could happen.  Exacerbated by the fact that there were immigrants who were set to come to Canada, but couldn't due to restrictions in travel during the height of said pandemic.

In this issue I am not a Trudope apologist.  I'm just not going to agree or be associated with bigots and morons and the Peoples Party of Crazy.

It's pretty clear a lot of the posters in this thread own their own homes, so it doesn't affect them. But according to google, 1 third of the country are renters. It's a pretty big damn deal to all those. 

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's pretty clear a lot of the posters in this thread own their own homes, so it doesn't affect them. But according to google, 1 third of the country are renters. It's a pretty big damn deal to all those. 

I guess you forgot some of us have kids that are renters. 

Show me Skippy's rental plan. Oh right, I have to wait a year and a half to find out. 

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

No Rick it hasn't. We need many more.

Ridiculous. Tim's can't find enough employees like most other businesses right now.

You are kidding? Many young people and students alike are finding it ever more difficult to acquire these jobs. These businesses are seeing upwards of hundreds of applications a week. 

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, people are going to come all the way to Canada to work at a Tim Horton's for minimum wage and then pay $3000 per month for their 2 bedroom condo?  Is that the new Canadian dream, to make enough money just to pay rent?

Surely you don’t think that all these immigrants are paying $3000/month?

Bought fish and chips from a Syrian lady who owned a little shop on the wharf in Pictou NS. She told me that she talked to family that day and it was 45c where she came from, her brother was still imprisoned, she had 12 friends & relatives including her father that had been killed. She came here with her 12 year old son and a sister. Loves Canada and is so thankful to be safe.

Don’t know what she pays for rent but…

IMG_1589.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Decades of declining birth rates.  Decades of municipal/provincial governments dropping the ball.  Multiple federal governments doing likewise.  Lack of real initiative to increase inventory without speculators and corporations hoovering up what little inventory there was.  Greedy landlords jacking up rents like crazy.

Nope, that ain't the problem.  It's Hassan and his family coming here for a better life.  It's the Davies family who did the same when young Phonzie was a kid.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess you've never heard of people in homes having different types of jobs. 

So enlighten me, whats Skippy going to do, simply not have immigration? only if you won't work at Tims? I'm having trouble following all the straw men today.  Hey maybe straw man is a new job Skippy can create. 

So enlighten me, what has Trudeau done again over the last 9 years to allow it to get to this point?

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You are kidding? Many young people and students alike are finding it ever more difficult to acquire these jobs. These businesses are seeing upwards of hundreds of applications a week. 

In 2022, the number of job vacancies in Canada averaged 942,000, two and a half times the average of 377,000 observed in 2016 (Statistics Canada Table 14-10-0328-01). The substantial growth in the number of job vacancies observed during this period has brought to the forefront the concept of labour shortages, the notion that, in some sectors of the economy, there might be an insufficient number of workers available to fill vacant positions.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/36-28-0001/2023005/article/00001-eng.htm#

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So enlighten me, what has Trudeau done again over the last 9 years to allow it to get to this point?

Maybe he was relying on municipal and provincial governments to DO THEIR JOBS.  The majority of those provincial governments were CONSERVATIVE.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

In 2022, the number of job vacancies in Canada averaged 942,000, two and a half times the average of 377,000 observed in 2016 (Statistics Canada Table 14-10-0328-01). The substantial growth in the number of job vacancies observed during this period has brought to the forefront the concept of labour shortages, the notion that, in some sectors of the economy, there might be an insufficient number of workers available to fill vacant positions.

Almost like our largest generation is leaving the workforce or something.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

Decades of declining birth rates.  Decades of municipal/provincial governments dropping the ball.  Multiple federal governments doing likewise.  Lack of real initiative to increase inventory without speculators and corporations hoovering up what little inventory there was.  Greedy landlords jacking up rents like crazy.

Nope, that ain't the problem.  It's Hassan and his family coming here for a better life.  It's the Davies family who did the same when young Phonzie was a kid.

This attitude right here is exactly why the liberals will lose. Nobody is blaming Hassan and his family. People care about the shitty polices that have cratered peoples quality of living

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

2022 was over 2 years ago and coming out of COVID.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

What has Justin Trudeau's plan for renters been the last 9 years? 

so there it is, you can't answer a simple question about Skippy. 

There has been rental assistance for many people. E.g., the foreign buyer freeze opened up a lot of places for people, my kid being one of them.

Now you, answer one simple question about Skippy if you can manage it. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

so there it is, you can't answer a simple question about Skippy. 

There has been rental assistance for many people. E.g., the foreign buyer freeze opened up a lot of places for people, my kid being one of them.

Now you, answer one simple question about Skippy if you can manage it. 

What has any of that done for rental prices?

Just now, Ricky Ravioli said:

This attitude right here is exactly why the liberals will lose. Nobody is blaming Hassan and his family. People care about the shitty polices that have cratered peoples quality of living

Yet it's immigration that is being blamed by more than one poster here for our problems.  So they are kinda being blamed.  If they didn't come here, our quality of living would be soooo much better.  

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Yet it's immigration that is being blamed by more than one poster here for our problems.  So they are kinda being blamed.  If they didn't come here, our quality of living would be soooo much better.  

At least these immigrants are grateful to be in Canada and aren't whining that the country is broken like petulant children.

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I wonder what promises were made to Hassan and his family before they arrived?  I can only imagine the spin they were given by the Liberal government...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why do you keep asking for Skippy's plan then?

because why would I vote for him, not knowing his plan? Just tell me what it is, so I can make an evaluation. 

its very easy to look up what the gov't has done, but you know this. It would be nice if you could stop pretending and we could have an actual discussion. But here you go anyway: https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau?gb=ungrouped&sb=progress_desc&tx=rent

4 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Trudeau literally said there are too many people coming into Canada.  So I guess I must be agreeing with Trudeau then.  My bad...

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

because why would I vote for him, not knowing his plan? Just tell me what it is, so I can make an evaluation. 

its very easy to look up what the gov't has done, but you know this. It would be nice if you could stop pretending and we could have an actual discussion. But here you go anyway: https://www.polimeter.org/en/trudeau?gb=ungrouped&sb=progress_desc&tx=rent

But the PM isn't responsible for anything, so why do you need his plan?