Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Trudeau literally said there are too many people coming into Canada.  So I guess I must be agreeing with Trudeau then.  My bad...

again, you're not really being honest.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government wants to rein in the number of temporary immigrants coming to the country, saying the situation needs to be brought “under control.”

70c8fc80

“Whether it’s temporary foreign workers or whether it’s international students in particular, that have grown at a rate far beyond what Canada has been able to absorb,” Trudeau said at a housing announcement in Dartmouth, N.S.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10397176/trudeau-temporary-immigration-canada/

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Canada came out of the 2008 GFC as one of the best in the G7 and is coming out of covid as the worst.  Yet Bob wants to defend a Government that openly admitted to not thinking about monetary policy.  😄 🤣 

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the government wants to rein in the number of temporary immigrants coming to the country, saying the situation needs to be brought “under control.”

70c8fc80

“Whether it’s temporary foreign workers or whether it’s international students in particular, that have grown at a rate far beyond what Canada has been able to absorb,” Trudeau said at a housing announcement in Dartmouth, N.S.

Those damn Liberals! 

Federal immigration limits undercutting Alberta's economy, premier says in letter to Trudeau

Danielle Smith also wants to open province's doors to 10,000 more Ukraine evacuees

Bill Graveland · The Canadian Press · Posted: Mar 27, 2024 7:23 PM ADT | Last Updated: March 27

Ontario pushes for more immigration amid labour crunch

Doug Ford

Ontario Premier Doug Ford speaks alongside Toronto Mayor John Tory during a joint press conference inside Queen’s Park in Toronto, Monday, June 27, 2022. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

• Haha 2

What ever happened to doing it yourself instead of an under paid wage slave. Many businesses in the day were family run and had very few employees. 
These days business owners want to live like a 9-5 wage slave and have tons of time off to spend their exploited money. 

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ultra-liberal

What the hell is that?   Is the next level Super Ultra-Liberal????  

What is the criteria to qualify as Ultra-liberal???

My money is on Uber-Liberal....

Dovetails nicely with our hippy ride sharing habits, instead of driving jacked up pickups with truck nuts like real Canadians do....

Edited by RupertKBD

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Ridiculous. Tim's can't find enough employees like most other businesses right now.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

There's a lot of jobs that people born here, for whatever reason, aren't willing to do for the amount and conditions being offered.  The alternative is Tim's either jacking up their prices or going out of business.  The cons will blame Trudeau for that too.

Yeah, I think some people are conflating housing shortages with work shortages and I think that's misleading....especially if immigrants are being blamed for both.

We've seen a ton of students from India here and yes, there are challenges with finding places to stay, but none of them have had much trouble finding work. As long as you're willing to work in the service industry, you should be okay.

• ThereItIs 1

49 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Surely you don’t think that all these immigrants are paying $3000/month?

Bought fish and chips from a Syrian lady who owned a little shop on the wharf in Pictou NS. She told me that she talked to family that day and it was 45c where she came from, her brother was still imprisoned, she had 12 friends & relatives including her father that had been killed. She came here with her 12 year old son and a sister. Loves Canada and is so thankful to be safe.

Don’t know what she pays for rent but…

IMG_1589.jpeg

Don't know WTF you're talking about Pete....

The only cities in Canada are Vancouver and Toronto....

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I think some people are conflating housing shortages with work shortages and I think that's misleading....especially if immigrants are being blamed for both.

Bingo.

Hey who's messaging works to conflate issues like this? Starts with p....

51 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We've seen a ton of students from India here and yes, there are challenges with finding places to stay, but none of them have had much trouble finding work. As long as you're willing to work in the service industry, you should be okay.

We dropped the ball on all levels of government with housing, but at least it's now being addressed.

Oh the irony..... Both PP and Truduea behind the scenes are concerned about yesterday's byelection 

This could be the push that turfs truduea for new leadership and that has PP concerned 

Imagine a new Liberal leader ... Say it's Mark Carney 

Act 1 - replace finance minister 

Act 2 - declare that following the next election everything carbon tax will come under provincial only jurisdiction. Feds set carbon target and leave it to provinces to implement , collect and anything carbon rebate related no longer comes from the feds .... It comes from the provinces only ( this would potentially cause Alberta and Saskatchewan to change governments when rebates stop coming for millions of their voters lol .... )

A new leader and those 2 items could potentially turn this into a majority for them ..... It would eliminate 2/3 of the reasonable.voters concerns 

Too bad truduea is too ego driven to take that walk in the snow ..... That he needs to do

30 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Oh the irony..... Both PP and Truduea behind the scenes are concerned about yesterday's byelection 

This could be the push that turfs truduea for new leadership and that has PP concerned 

Imagine a new Liberal leader ... Say it's Mark Carney 

Act 1 - replace finance minister 

Act 2 - declare that following the next election everything carbon tax will come under provincial only jurisdiction. Feds set carbon target and leave it to provinces to implement , collect and anything carbon rebate related no longer comes from the feds .... It comes from the provinces only ( this would potentially cause Alberta and Saskatchewan to change governments when rebates stop coming for millions of their voters lol .... )

A new leader and those 2 items could potentially turn this into a majority for them ..... It would eliminate 2/3 of the reasonable.voters concerns 

Too bad truduea is too ego driven to take that walk in the snow ..... That he needs to do

Maybe the Liberals have a succession plan already in place but are waiting until closer to the election to make the change? This is a long way out still. IMHAO there will be a change but it will occur next spring. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

is this your thing now, dishonest discussion? 

Everything I read on this forum is that the federal government isn’t responsible for anything. I’m sure that will change though once the Conservatives take power. 

You keep asking for PP’s plan. Trudeau hasn’t had a plan for 9 years. And anything he’s talking about now in order to get re-elected could have been implemented back in 2015. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

70c8fc80

What exactly is in that statement that suggests differently than what I said? 

Everything I read on this forum is that the federal government isn’t responsible for anything. I’m sure that will change though once the Conservatives take power. 

No one had said that and you know it.

You keep asking for PP’s plan. Trudeau hasn’t had a plan for 9 years. And anything he’s talking about now in order to get re-elected could have been implemented back in 2015. 

Dishonest.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Basically she is saying this plan has been a been a big hit and popular .... Therefore I must get the credit so fund it and we will call it the made In Alberta plan and take the credit lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Basically she is saying this plan has been a been a big hit and popular .... Therefore I must get the credit so fund it and we will call it the made In Alberta plan and take the credit lol

Actually what she is saying is that 70% of dentists in Alberta aren’t even signed up for the program, so instead of going along with this rushed program that allowed Trudeau to stay in power, just give us the funding instead and we’ll figure it out ourselves.