Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

You are right, it is about our prime minister so let's put it this way. If it was PP. Do you think you or others on here would come out and say well? He never actually admitted to it nor was he charged with anything? Again, the one thing he could do is deny that it ever happened and when he was asked that point blank after debate he still didn't answer it. So I guess I will ask you why won't he just say it never happened?

Can’t comment for others. And it’s not about Poo Poo, or what ever his name is. It’s about unproven accusations directed at our PM. 
In my opinion if a teacher sleeps with a student that is very bad and should be dealt with by the courts. If a teacher sleeps with a parent I don’t see a problem. That’s two consenting adults. 

3 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

You're right. Equal treatment was the wrong turn of phrase. I should have said equal respect. You have shown more than once show little respect you have for the LGBTQ community, including not that far up when you couldn't understand why someone would get angry by being misgendered. 

So now I have to go up to everybody and ask if they're male or female or anything else? Again, let me make it clear to you because so far it hasn't seem to work. Anybody can be whatever they want to be, but I do not support a male using a female's bathroom or a female using a males bathroom.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can’t comment for others. And it’s not about Poo Poo, or what ever his name is. It’s about unproven accusations directed at our PM. 
In my opinion if a teacher sleeps with a student that is very bad and should be dealt with by the courts. If a teacher sleeps with a parent I don’t see a problem. That’s two consenting adults. 

Well if I recall correctly, wasn't it a private school? Again? I would just ask you why has he never come out and denied it?

I do agree though if it was the student's parent then obviously it's not a crime. I would agree with you there. Although I don't know all the ins and outs of what is expected of a teacher in the community.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You can hate the guy as much as you want but you would be in the minority throughout this country. The guy is drawing serious crowds because he is speaking to what Canadians want to hear. I would prefer somebody who has a lot of knowledge in the actual workforce, but I would argue those options aren't available. You guys criticized O'Toole and here he was served in the military for a decade yet you guys still criticized him. The reality of it all is I don't think it matters what any conservative does you just won't support him or her. I know you'll keep up this argument that you're a small c conservative, but I'm sorry I don't buy it. You constantly go out of your way to defend Trudeau and throw conservatives under the bus. You vote NDP pro eventually and federally so I'm just confused when you say you're a small c conservative.

I criticized O'Toole for the same reason I'm criticizing Poiliverre.

The job if the official opposition should be more than just opposing everything out if hand.

The issue with Poiliverre is he is truly a detestable person and for every comment he makes about Trudeau in anger he has a 20+ year voting record to fall back on that proves he's essentially guilty of the same stuff.

So this is important.  Poiliverre will be voted in just to vote Trudeau out.  Trudeau was voted in just to vote Harper out.

I challenge you to show me under any single pm in the past where things actually became appreciably cheaper or the cost of living in fact decreased for significant amounts of time.  You can't.  Because it hasn't happened since the 60s/70s.

Poiliverre has never had a job.  He's got a multiple decade voting record and millions of dollars in personal wealth while being a public servant his entire adult life.

That's about as hypocritical and elitist as it comes

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

So now I have to go up to everybody and ask if they're male or female or anything else? Again, let me make it clear to you because so far it hasn't seem to work. Anybody can be whatever they want to be, but I do not support a male using a female's bathroom or a female using a males bathroom.

My children all use the appropriate bathrooms, without needing to be randomly asked if their genitalia aligns with your notion of gender. 

Look, I get it. LGBTQ people freak you out. It's ok to admit that, because it would be the first step to accepting that they are a part of society. 

That's all I'm really going to say on it. We've derailed this thread enough as is.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Seems JT had stuff said about him but nothing was proven true. 

If he did sleep with a student he’d be up on charges. If he slept with a student’s mother, then it’s not a scandal. 
“No publicly available evidence supports any claim that Trudeau had a sexual relationship with either a student or a student's mother while he was a teacher at West Point Grey Academy between 1998 and 2001, nor that such an episode contributed to his departure from the school's teaching staff.”

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trudeau-sex-scandal-school/

If it never happened, then why did the father of the student who is a wealthy Canadian businessman confirm that Trudeau paid her off to the tune of $2.25 million and got her to sign an NDA?  The father said he caught them at his house...

The two engaged in a long and steamy affair on- and off-campus while Trudeau taught drama and French at Vancouver’s prestigious West Point Grey Academy. He was discovered by his accuser’s father at their family home, which prompted private demands to school administrators that he be removed from his position immediately.

Trudeau’s West Grey accuser was much younger than first thought « Aletho News

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I criticized O'Toole for the same reason I'm criticizing Poiliverre.

The job if the official opposition should be more than just opposing everything out if hand.

The issue with Poiliverre is he is truly a detestable person and for every comment he makes about Trudeau in anger he has a 20+ year voting record to fall back on that proves he's essentially guilty of the same stuff.

So this is important.  Poiliverre will be voted in just to vote Trudeau out.  Trudeau was voted in just to vote Harper out.

I challenge you to show me under any single pm in the past where things actually became appreciably cheaper or the cost of living in fact decreased for significant amounts of time.  You can't.  Because it hasn't happened since the 60s/70s.

Poiliverre has never had a job.  He's got a multiple decade voting record and millions of dollars in personal wealth while being a public servant his entire adult life.

That's about as hypocritical and elitist as it comes

Well, I mean Canadians saved two percent on GST under the previous conservative government

17 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

My children all use the appropriate bathrooms, without needing to be randomly asked if their genitalia aligns with your notion of gender. 

Look, I get it. LGBTQ people freak you out. It's ok to admit that, because it would be the first step to accepting that they are a part of society. 

That's all I'm really going to say on it. We've derailed this thread enough as is.

You are right. It did get derailed. That being said, again I have no problems with them. You suggested I said it was all right to misgender somebody. I just said I shouldn't be made to believe something that is an accurate but out of respect and dignity to a human being. I will refer to them how they prefer to be referred to. But that being said, if I make a mistake because it isn't very clear then that's not on me at all. And in social settings I don't generally walk up to people and say hey. Are you male or female. Hopefully this helps you with understanding that I'm not this evil monster you think I am.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If it never happened, then why did the father of the student who is a wealthy Canadian businessman confirm that Trudeau paid her off to the tune of $2.25 million and got her to sign an NDA?  The father said he caught them at his house...

The two engaged in a long and steamy affair on- and off-campus while Trudeau taught drama and French at Vancouver’s prestigious West Point Grey Academy. He was discovered by his accuser’s father at their family home, which prompted private demands to school administrators that he be removed from his position immediately.

Trudeau’s West Grey accuser was much younger than first thought « Aletho News

Nice story but there is no evidence presented. It’s all opinion. We all will believe what we want based on our personal bias. Believe this article if you wish. Your choice. 

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Apparently it's far-left thinking to not care who is in the stall next to you while you're taking a dump.

I mean you kind of have a point except for the fact of the stories of the young girls that have been attacked by men that are using the women's bathroom

Just now, Alflives said:

Nice story but there is no evidence presented. It’s all opinion. We all will believe what we want based on our personal bias. Believe this article if you wish. Your choice. 

Given the rest of the trash that popped up when I opened that link, I'm extremely skeptical of the source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The father's story is only an opinion?  He said he caught them at his house together.  Was he lying?  Why does he need to lie?  What reason would there be for the father of the student to make up the story?

Edited by Elias Pettersson

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The father's story is only an opinion?  He said he caught them at his house together.  Was he lying?  Why does he need to lie?  What reason would there be for the father of the student to make up the story?

Again, believe what you wish. Alf sees no facts here. It’s an opinion piece. It’s pretty much craperolla. In my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Again, believe what you wish. Alf sees no facts here. It’s an opinion piece. It’s pretty much craperolla. In my opinion. 

While you aren't wrong because you want to see facts, I'm going to save this post and hope that you stay true to this opinion when it relates to politicians on the other side of the aisle. But who knows, you might be totally liquored up and you don't even know what you're saying my friend lol

• Cheers 1

Just now, Alflives said:

The article's bias is very clear... one has only to read right to the very bottom of it to see that. It snidely mocks Trudeau all the way through it.
And who the hell is Aletho News anyway?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I mean you kind of have a point except for the fact of the stories of the young girls that have been attacked by men that are using the women's bathroom

I am going to respectfully ask you not promote that line of thinking. That all trans men are sexual predators waiting to attack women in the bathroom. 

This is what I meant about your lack of respect for the LGBTQ community; you are stereotyping based on isolated incidents. And I believe further upthread you were complaining about generalizing.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You can hate the guy as much as you want but you would be in the minority throughout this country. The guy is drawing serious crowds because he is speaking to what Canadians want to hear. I would prefer somebody who has a lot of knowledge in the actual workforce, but I would argue those options aren't available. You guys criticized O'Toole and here he was served in the military for a decade yet you guys still criticized him. The reality of it all is I don't think it matters what any conservative does you just won't support him or her. I know you'll keep up this argument that you're a small c conservative, but I'm sorry I don't buy it. You constantly go out of your way to defend Trudeau and throw conservatives under the bus. You vote NDP pro eventually and federally so I'm just confused when you say you're a small c conservative.

I have voted Liberal only twice  in my life. Primarily because I vote for my MP rather that the leader and I have lived in two ridings that had excellent candidates. Got pissed off at my MP after an ignorant non-responsive reply to my letter of concern over the occupation in Ottawa. Even then I would have probably held my nose and vote for him again if the Cons had a different leader because the only thing I agree with PP on (back when he said it) is a two term limit.

Now I will go to the polls and put my mark beside the Lib candidate and won’t matter a bit because there is only a slightly non-zero chance of any other candidate winning in my riding.

There are lots of small c conservatives here whether you believe it or not.

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

For the life of me I can’t figure out all the fuss about pronouns. I’ll be respectful and use the pronoun that I think is right and if that person corrects me I will use their preferred pronoun. As long as they correct me politely. If not I’ll just move along. Costs me nothing and I don’t spend even a second worrying about it.

I was about to submit this and then I saw your other post saying  the same thing so I guess we agree.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I am going to respectfully ask you not promote that line of thinking. That all trans men are sexual predators waiting to attack women in the bathroom. 

This is what I meant about your lack of respect for the LGBTQ community; you are stereotyping based on isolated incidents. And I believe further upthread you were complaining about generalizing.

I don't think I ever said it was trans men. You see if you just Google Britain and look at this. There was a man that claimed he was trans so he went to a female prison and he raped the women. So that's the thing. Criminals generally aren't honest people. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

My answer to it is to stop releasing dangerous offenders into the public and increase criminal penalties.  Someone who's planning on doing that to young girls isn't going to be stopped by people saying they shouldn't be in there.

Well I can get on board with half of what you said the other half I don't think should be taking place. If we can mitigate these things, we need to try our best to do so in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think I ever said it was trans men. You see if you just Google Britain and look at this. There was a man that claimed he was trans so he went to a female prison and he raped the women. So that's the thing. Criminals generally aren't honest people. 

Ah, I see. Clearly you don't understand implication. When we are discussing trans people and their rights, and you say a man attacked young women in a bathroom it is implied you are speaking of a trans man in a public space. Yes, criminals are rarely honest but you are being disingenuous in your argument.

And - just being facetious - I Googled Britain and mostly got into about travel and the UK.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, StrayDog said:

Ah, I see. Clearly you don't understand implication. When we are discussing trans people and their rights, and you say a man attacked young women in a bathroom it is implied you are speaking of a trans man in a public space. Yes, criminals are rarely honest but you are being disingenuous in your argument.

And - just being facetious - I Googled Britain and mostly got into about travel and the UK.

If you would like I can find you the story. And whether you think I understand implication or not is irrelevant in my opinion Because the thing is I never spoke about taking away anybody's rights. You inserted that yourself. So you can make all the complaints about me you want. But you're the one in my opinion That's insinuating that I mean something that I don't. And I find that quite disrespectful but you do you.

Edited by Ryan Strome

17 hours ago, stawns said:

When have we ever had a government on the left?  The one influential "far left" politician gave us universal health care

Is that the same politician that promoted 'selective' breeding and sterilizing deficient women? Tommy Douglas I believe his name was. Good with the bad I guess?