Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

20 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

lol so no, you don’t. I’m not even sure why this comes up in a politics thread anyway. 

It's certainly a type of EV.  Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle; uses electricity for short trips and kicks in the gas engine for longer trips.  

EV rebate is a big deal to a lot of people.  As someone who commutes almost 100km all work days I would love an EV but all of them with quick charge and larger batteries will cost you over $50,000.  With taxes plus interest you're getting close to $1000 a month just to save $500-600 a month on gas.  Does not make sense.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

But Ford itself claimed the Model T achieved from 13 to 21 mpg, according to Motor Trend.

-----------------------------------

New tech takes a while to develop.

And that's basically the tech level of EV's where we are right now.

And a Model T couldn't get 0-60 in the low 5 second range or lower. Or even go 120 kph.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

It's certainly a type of EV.  Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle; uses electricity for short trips and kicks in the gas engine for longer trips.  

EV rebate is a big deal to a lot of people.  As someone who commutes almost 100km all work days I would love an EV but all of them with quick charge and larger batteries will cost you over $50,000.  With taxes plus interest you're getting close to $1000 a month just to save $500-600 a month on gas.  Does not make sense.  

you have to factor in the cost of the gas vehicle tho. But yep right now you can certainly buy a gas vehicle for less. A lease might make a full EV worth it for you. 

• Thanks 1

Europe is ahead of the curve. There are shops that will replace defective cells or banks of cells instead of the whole battery. I've watched a ton of videos from Bjorn on youtube. And he's tested a lot of EV's. He found the degradation of batteries are quite small. (Some brands are better than others) You have to also factor in why would

an auto company want to sell you a replacement battery, when every replacement battery could be going into a brand new vehicle. I'm pretty sure in a while there will be

companies making replacement batteries when EV's fall out of warranty. I'm actually surprised anyone isn't doing this now.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, bolt said:

Except their pushing evs on everyone even where it doesn't make sense.  Same thing with heat pumps and we pay hundreds of millions if not billions on subsidies.  

I love my heat pump, one of the best investments I ever made. Oddly enough my conservative minded but awesome brother in law, literally three country blocks away has simply declared 'heat pumps here don't make any sense' and refuses to look at the option. Just sayin, when personal opinion determines what makes sense, sense is usually the last consideration. 

This 2 month cycle i am averaging $3.60 a day in energy costs for my entire property. That is heat, hot water, laundry, cooking, lighting, dishwasher, well pump, computers, tv's, gaming systems, speakers...barn lighting, an acre of rural land run on 3.60 a day, heat pump keeps us cool when its hot and hot when its cool. I would never go back to an oil furnace and portable A/C again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

The other option is a career politician who has only lived at the trough. How does one accumulate the wealth he has living on a MP's salary? What are his credentials? As far as I can see he has never worked in the private sector in his life.

Hmm... His constituents seem to like re-electing him 3X in Nepean Carlton, Ontario. 

Work history: PP has been involved in politics since 14 years old. He worked for Telus in a call centre and for Alberta Reports as a reporter. He received a 

4 month internship with Magna International after winning a $10,000 essay contest. In 2003 he started 3D Contact Inc but left to run for MP in Nepean Carlton in 2004. He won that riding at 24 years old and has been re-elected 3X. PP is a pup as far as MP tenure goes. Knowles NDP 37 years, Laurier LIB 44 years, Herb Gray LIB 39 years and Dief CON 39 years. 

Net worth $10 mil? I don't know how he made his money. His parents were teachers so I doubt it was from them. Did he inherit it like Trudeau? I don't know. There seems to be a lot of real estate in his holdings. From a character perspective PP was part of early Reform. I respect that as the easy route would have been on the Mulroney bandwagon. Many of us joined Reform to force political accountability to the riding level. That effort largely failed. It got Harper into a majority government but then he largely disenfranchised the ridings. Top down reasserted itself. 

By all appearences PP will get his chance to run Canada. Who knows what he is saying behind closes doors. In public he seems to be focused on working Canadians not on mandarins or Bay Street. Can he do a better job than Trudeau? More to the point how could he do worse?  

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

EVs are great where they make sense. Not sure why we can't have a sensible mix. 

All I can say is that if I want to buy an EV or a Hybrid, there won't be a fucking thing PP can do or say that will stop me.....

How ironic is it that the people slagging EVs are also the ones doing the most bitching about gas prices?

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I love my heat pump, one of the best investments I ever made. Oddly enough my conservative minded but awesome brother in law, literally three country blocks away has simply declared 'heat pumps here don't make any sense' and refuses to look at the option. Just sayin, when personal opinion determines what makes sense, sense is usually the last consideration. 

This 2 month cycle i am averaging $3.60 a day in energy costs for my entire property. That is heat, hot water, laundry, cooking, lighting, dishwasher, well pump, computers, tv's, gaming systems, speakers...barn lighting, an acre of rural land run on 3.60 a day, heat pump keeps us cool when its hot and hot when its cool. I would never go back to an oil furnace and portable A/C again. 

A heat pump is better than a oil furnace but it's not better than having a high efficiency natural gas furnace.  Just like evs they have a place but not everywhere.

• MillerTime 1

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

The other option is a career politician who has only lived at the trough. How does one accumulate the wealth he has living on a MP's salary? What are his credentials? As far as I can see he has never worked in the private sector in his life.

People ignore this question because they know they can't answer it credibly.

It's been brought up hundreds of times here and the only response invariably come down to.

Well, no Trudeau is good

18 minutes ago, bolt said:

A heat pump is better than a oil furnace but it's not better than having a high efficiency natural gas furnace.  Just like evs they have a place but not everywhere.

yeah, i ran my 2 story 3 bedroom house before this property with natural gas hot water on demand and a natural gas fireplace in the main floor. We bought it new and the construction/insulation was pretty good for the dozen years we owned it: our combined bills were more than (turns out 100 less than) this heat pump place..but this one is a rancher with two beds and a large studio for my wifes artistic work. Still, I loved the natural gas heat from  the FP and the hot water on demand was a dream and super cheap for long hot showers. 

EDIT: I fully admit i am a nerd, so i just pulled up my spreadsheet on household billing: hydro in 2021 was $711.47 and natural gas was 933.22, that was in the two story place. Last year we only had a hydro account, no woodstove, no propane no natural gas and no oil (one of the first things we did was ditch the oil furnace here between August 22 and December 22) $1750 hydro bill. so a hundred bucks more a year two years later of price hikes or what not..but i know the shape and size of the homes is different and this one is a 1958 farmhouse not a brand new in 2010 place... so a bit of apples and oranges. 

Still though, I love the heat pump and wouldn't look back. Knowing what I know now, i would have installed one in 2010 at the old place and used a split head to do the downstairs and the upstairs at the same time. Almost a couple hundred bucks of that 933 natural gas bill was just the monthly fee to have an account. 

Oh, i should add, here we installed an ELECTRIC hot water on demand, I didn't want a propane account and fuss of changing bottles or whatnot, and no natural gas at the house. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

EV's aren't like a Playstation. You have to see what your needs are, and if an EV makes sense. I find it funny 4 years ago all the Musk Fanboys were making fun of Toyota and it's push for hybrids. Now Toyota's have a wide range of hybrids, and they can't keep them in stock. I'm for anything that saves me money at the pump. But until either a) The charging infrastructure improves. b) New battery tech improves the speed of charging (Range would be a nice benefit too).

I really like the Chinese idea with swappable batteries.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/05/chinas-nio-to-expand-battery-swap-services-to-gain-ev-infra-edge-.html

In order to work here, we'd likely need legislation to avoid each manufacturer using a different propriety design, similar to what the EU had to do for phone chargers.

21 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

All I can say is that if I want to buy an EV or a Hybrid, there won't be a fucking thing PP can do or say that will stop me.....

How ironic is it that the people slagging EVs are also the ones doing the most bitching about gas prices?

It's the discourse now with cons, they contradict themselves, sometimes in the same sentence.

We are in the age of dumb feels and YouTube politically.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I really like the Chinese idea with swappable batteries.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/05/chinas-nio-to-expand-battery-swap-services-to-gain-ev-infra-edge-.html

In order to work here, we'd likely need legislation to avoid each manufacturer using a different propriety design, similar to what the EU had to do for phone chargers.

commie. 

I kid, i kid, but that is the pushback you will get if you try to tell corporations they can't use proprietary sizes, shapes and connectors, and oddly enough you will get that pushback from working stiffs that lean right, on behalf of the corporations. lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

commie. 

I kid, i kid, but that is the pushback you will get if you try to tell corporations they can't use proprietary sizes, shapes and connectors, and oddly enough you will get that pushback from working stiffs that lean right, on behalf of the corporations. lol

It's wild because this actually decreases competition by locking consumers into a walled garden.  Tools are a good example; most people aren't going to buy a different brand of drill than what their current batteries will work with.

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

commie. 

One of the best (worst?) examples of this that I've ever seen was back when I was selling computers for a living. This was the beginning of the era of online computer purchasing and as a mom and pop store, we just couldn't keep up with companies like Dell and NCIX.

One of the things that kept us afloat, was selling ink cartridges for printers. Anyone who knows the business realizes that the printers themselves are throwaways. You make next to nothing off them, but the margins on the ink cartridges is high, making them profitable and as consumables, we could count on repeat sales.

Then Dell got the idea of selling their own printers. Customers who logged into Dell.ca could now buy an entire system. Computer, Monitor and Printer. When I checked out the "Dell" printers online, it was obvious that they were actually Lexmark printers, with the Dell logo on them What I didn't realize is that Dell had enough clout to get Lexmark to manufacture these machines with an extra tab where the ink cartridges were loaded. This meant that a regular Lexmark ink cartridge would not fit in a Dell printer.

This was news as well to several of my customers who came in and bought Lexmark cartridges, but didn't mention that they were for Dell printers. (Even if I asked about it, they quite often would not admit that they had bought their printer directly from Dell) Of course, it didn't take long before they were back in the store complaining that these cartridges didn't fit in their printers.

They were (predictably) annoyed when I couldn't refund them the cost of the cartridges, as they had already been opened, but they were even more annoyed to find out that Dell refused to sell cartridges through retailers. The only way to buy ink for Dell printers was to order it online from Dell.

You'd be surprised at how many Epson printers I sold thanks to Michael Dell.....

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's wild because this actually decreases competition by locking consumers into a walled garden.  Tools are a good example; most people aren't going to buy a different brand of drill than what their current batteries will work with.

Only because I got a deal at Habitat For Humanity to kick off my battery powered tool collection am I now stuck with Ryobi everything ... lol I totally get your point. 

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

One of the best (worst?) examples of this that I've ever seen was back when I was selling computers for a living. This was the beginning of the era of online computer purchasing and as a mom and pop store, we just couldn't keep up with companies like Dell and NCIX.

One of the things that kept us afloat, was selling ink cartridges for printers. Anyone who knows the business realizes that the printers themselves are throwaways. You make next to nothing off them, but the margins on the ink cartridges is high, making them profitable and as consumables, we could count on repeat sales.

Then Dell got the idea of selling their own printers. Customers who logged into Dell.ca could now buy an entire system. Computer, Monitor and Printer. When I checked out the "Dell" printers online, it was obvious that they were actually Lexmark printers, with the Dell logo on them What I didn't realize is that Dell had enough clout to get Lexmark to manufacture these machines with an extra tab where the ink cartridges were loaded. This meant that a regular Lexmark ink cartridge would not fit in a Dell printer.

This was news as well to several of my customers who came in and bought Lexmark cartridges, but didn't mention that they were for Dell printers. (Even if I asked about it, they quite often would not admit that they had bought their printer directly from Dell) Of course, it didn't take long before they were back in the store complaining that these cartridges didn't fit in their printers.

They were (predictably) annoyed when I couldn't refund them the cost of the cartridges, as they had already been opened, but they were even more annoyed to find out that Dell refused to sell cartridges through retailers. The only way to buy ink for Dell printers was to order it online from Dell.

You'd be surprised at how many Epson printers I sold thanks to Michael Dell.....

Yeah, guilty to a degree of the disposable printer: every boxing day I would buy a printer for like 30 bucks or 20 bucks ... whatever the door crasher deal was on printers...
Donate last years model and use the new one till the ink ran dry, about a years time at my usage. 

Then I found this HP printer and they have an ink subscription plan. Most of the year I pay 2:50 or 3 bucks a month for all the ink, based on how many pages I print, that I will ever need: occassionally like draft season i bump up to an 8 dollar sub for the month and print off hockey stuff for my fantasy hockey keeper leagues draft (we have openings if anyone is interested) and then drop down again to the low level in July. Anywho, ink shows up in the mail about two weeks before i need it and then i install when it goes dry, I never have to worry or think about it. Easy Peasy. Probably paying too much but the convenience is awesome. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Only because I got a deal at Habitat For Humanity to kick off my battery powered tool collection am I now stuck with Ryobi everything ... lol I totally get your point. 

Yeah, guilty to a degree of the disposable printer: every boxing day I would buy a printer for like 30 bucks or 20 bucks ... whatever the door crasher deal was on printers...
Donate last years model and use the new one till the ink ran dry, about a years time at my usage. 

Then I found this HP printer and they have an ink subscription plan. Most of the year I pay 2:50 or 3 bucks a month for all the ink, based on how many pages I print, that I will ever need: occassionally like draft season i bump up to an 8 dollar sub for the month and print off hockey stuff for my fantasy hockey keeper leagues draft (we have openings if anyone is interested) and then drop down again to the low level in July. Anywho, ink shows up in the mail about two weeks before i need it and then i install when it goes dry, I never have to worry or think about it. Easy Peasy. Probably paying too much but the convenience is awesome. 

We replaced our old HP with a Brother Laser several years ago. We could buy knock-off refurbished cartridges for it from a local Stationery store, so it cut our printing costs way down. (Printer cost about $200 at the time)

Now we both work at a college, so any printing we need to do, we email to ourselves and do it at work. The thing is, as the years go by, we find the need to actually print documents gets less and less. Print to PDF and send via email.....

9 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

We replaced our old HP with a Brother Laser several years ago. We could buy knock-off refurbished cartridges for it from a local Stationery store, so it cut our printing costs way down. (Printer cost about $200 at the time)

Now we both work at a college, so any printing we need to do, we email to ourselves and do it at work. The thing is, as the years go by, we find the need to actually print documents gets less and less. Print to PDF and send via email.....

So wait, you are openly admitting to stealing government office supplies? 

• Haha 1

After 30 years without- finally there are/is enough cod to allow a bit of fishing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/federal-government-ends-cod-moratorium-in-newfoundland-after-more-than-30-years/ar-BB1oVmOb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=53e3dcfe994d412fa138be6ce0ccb03d&ei=52

"

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The federal government has ended the Newfoundland and Labrador cod moratorium, which gutted the province's economy and transformed its small communities more than 30 years ago.

The Fisheries Department announced Wednesday it would re-establish a commercial cod fishery in the province, with a total allowable catch of 18,000 tonnes for the 2024 season.

"Ending the northern cod moratorium is a historic milestone for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians," said federal Fisheries Minister Diane Lebouthillier in a news release. "It’s through working together that we have reached this moment. We will cautiously but optimistically build back this fishery with the prime beneficiaries being coastal and Indigenous communities throughout Newfoundland and Labrador."

Ottawa announced the devastating cod moratorium on July 2, 1992. Cod stocks off the province's northern and eastern coasts were collapsing, and the moratorium was introduced as a way to help them recover. Before then, the cod fishery was a primary economic driver in the province, and the moratorium put tens of thousands of people out of work.

John Crosbie, who was federal fisheries minister at the time, famously said, "I didn't take the fish out of the goddamned water!" to a group of fishermen upset about the dwindling fish stocks. He announced the moratorium a day later.

--------------------

about 12 more paragraphs at link

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Gurn said:

After 30 years without- finally there are/is enough cod to allow a bit of fishing:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/federal-government-ends-cod-moratorium-in-newfoundland-after-more-than-30-years/ar-BB1oVmOb?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=53e3dcfe994d412fa138be6ce0ccb03d&ei=52

"

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The federal government has ended the Newfoundland and Labrador cod moratorium, which gutted the province's economy and transformed its small communities more than 30 years ago.

The Fisheries Department announced Wednesday it would re-establish a commercial cod fishery in the province, with a total allowable catch of 18,000 tonnes for the 2024 season.

"Ending the northern cod moratorium is a historic milestone for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians," said federal Fisheries Minister Diane Lebouthillier in a news release. "It’s through working together that we have reached this moment. We will cautiously but optimistically build back this fishery with the prime beneficiaries being coastal and Indigenous communities throughout Newfoundland and Labrador."

Ottawa announced the devastating cod moratorium on July 2, 1992. Cod stocks off the province's northern and eastern coasts were collapsing, and the moratorium was introduced as a way to help them recover. Before then, the cod fishery was a primary economic driver in the province, and the moratorium put tens of thousands of people out of work.

John Crosbie, who was federal fisheries minister at the time, famously said, "I didn't take the fish out of the goddamned water!" to a group of fishermen upset about the dwindling fish stocks. He announced the moratorium a day later.

--------------------

about 12 more paragraphs at link

We might have to go with a moratorium on salmon in BC if the trends continue.  Completely exhausting the supply benefits nobody.

• Vintage 1