Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

But they don't count paper clips....

image.gif.7f213f5a2db1ffd96036016262384dfe.gif

Well, they didn't-till someone mentioned in publicly 😞

-------------------

Decades back- while working for Southland Inc.- aka 7-11, we used to count the  unused beverage cups.

Pop/coffee was free to staff.

Almost every employee ended up with caffeine intake overload.

After getting fired as a suspected stock thief, it took me  a full week to ditch the headache; caused by withdrawal.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Hmm... His constituents seem to like re-electing him 3X in Nepean Carlton, Ontario. 

Work history: PP has been involved in politics since 14 years old. He worked for Telus in a call centre and for Alberta Reports as a reporter. He received a 

4 month internship with Magna International after winning a $10,000 essay contest. In 2003 he started 3D Contact Inc but left to run for MP in Nepean Carlton in 2004. He won that riding at 24 years old and has been re-elected 3X. PP is a pup as far as MP tenure goes. Knowles NDP 37 years, Laurier LIB 44 years, Herb Gray LIB 39 years and Dief CON 39 years. 

Net worth $10 mil? I don't know how he made his money. His parents were teachers so I doubt it was from them. Did he inherit it like Trudeau? I don't know. There seems to be a lot of real estate in his holdings. From a character perspective PP was part of early Reform. I respect that as the easy route would have been on the Mulroney bandwagon. Many of us joined Reform to force political accountability to the riding level. That effort largely failed. It got Harper into a majority government but then he largely disenfranchised the ridings. Top down reasserted itself. 

By all appearences PP will get his chance to run Canada. Who knows what he is saying behind closes doors. In public he seems to be focused on working Canadians not on mandarins or Bay Street. Can he do a better job than Trudeau? More to the point how could he do worse?  

My working resume far exceeds anything PP has ever done. But, when we're comparing the current PM to his likely successor, and you state, "how could he do worse?" PP isn't setting the bar too high if that's the case. What is his platform, and what are his ideas, other than cutting programs. When I see a guy goose stepping with the likes of Pat King and his ilk, I'll avoid him like the plague.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

18 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

My working resume far exceeds anything PP has ever done. But, when we're comparing the current PM to his likely successor, and you state, "how could he do worse?" PP isn't setting the bar too high if that's the case. What is his platform, and what are his ideas, other than cutting programs. When I see a guy goose stepping with the likes of Pat King and his ilk, I'll avoid him like the plague.

Yep. I've said it before....PP's embracing of the Klown Konvoy has completely disqualified him from ever getting my vote.

I wish JT would step down and let someone else guide the Liberal ship (and I don't share everyone else's disdain for Freeland, Joly or Carney) but I'll be just fine with voting for the incumbent NDP candidate in my riding.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. I've said it before....PP's embracing of the Klown Konvoy has completely disqualified him from ever getting my vote.

I wish JT would step down and let someone else guide the Liberal ship (and I don't share everyone else's disdain for Freeland, Joly or Carney) but I'll be just fine with voting for the incumbent NDP candidate in my riding.

Where Freeland has really excelled has been international affairs.  Negotiating the NAFTA replacement and getting Russia cut off from SWIFT are both really good accomplishments.  Her skillset is better suited to being PM than her current role.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you saying you didn’t agree with Benning's plan?  😊

To call his tenure having a 'plan' is stretching that definition, but that's not what we are in this thread for haha.

If we were to go with the same analogy, it feels like we are ditching Benning to go with Chiarelli. And that doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Johngould21 said:

The strategy is funny, vote pp because he's shitty too.

• Vintage 1

I wish there was a definable way to spoil your ballot that shows that you are not happy with any of the candidates.

I'm kinda pissed cause I'm a liberal person, but I don't buy into this style of Trudeau liberalism and his brand of politics. There seems to be a narrative that if someone like myself criticizes it, I get labelled as a PP supporter by default.

3 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

I wish there was a definable way to spoil your ballot that shows that you are not happy with any of the candidates.

I'm kinda pissed cause I'm a liberal person, but I don't buy into this style of Trudeau liberalism and his brand of politics. There seems to be a narrative that if someone like myself criticizes it, I get labelled as a PP supporter by default.

What sort of "style" and "brand" are you referring to?

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

What sort of "style" and "brand" are you referring to?

"people kind" come to mind... The enormous amount of deflecting in his house answers to difficult questions about his previous scandals and transgressions, there are lots out there. The obvious carve out of the carbon tax for the east coast votes even though peeps here think it's the most successful way of combating climate change - why do that if you care so much and it's so successful? Those are some off the top of my head.

I don't want to vote for the dude, so what? I got good reasons, but I don't want to vote con or ndp either. In my mind things suck for a viable alternative and I think a lot of other voters think the same way

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

"people kind" come to mind... The enormous amount of deflecting in his house answers to difficult questions about his previous scandals and transgressions, there are lots out there. The obvious carve out of the carbon tax for the east coast votes even though peeps here think it's the most successful way of combating climate change - why do that if you care so much and it's so successful? Those are some off the top of my head.

I don't want to vote for the dude, so what? I got good reasons, but I don't want to vote con or ndp either. In my mind things suck for a viable alternative and I think a lot of other voters think the same way

People kind? Really? You actually care about that? :classic_huh:

Doesn't sound very "liberal" to me....:classic_unsure:

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

People kind? Really? You actually care about that? :classic_huh:

Doesn't sound very "liberal" to me....:classic_unsure:

This is why why people are turning against the left, your outright dismissal of stuff like this, you didn't address my other points either. You asked about his "brand" and in a nutshell that's sorta it. He and you are not giving regular voters enough credit to discern this type of stuff, instead shoving it down on us.

Read the tea leaves dude, especially in the polls

Regular people who are pretty liberal don't like Trudeau and they are shifting. No matter your denigrating posts about them will change that

Once again, I AM NOT VOTING FOR PP but this is the reality libs are facing

• Cheers 1

Just now, BabyCakes said:

This is why why people are turning against the left, your outright dismissal of stuff like this, you didn't address my other points either. You asked about his "brand" and in a nutshell that's sorta it. He and you are not giving regular voters enough credit to discern this type of stuff, instead shoving it down on us.

Read the tea leaves dude, especially in the polls

Regular people who are pretty liberal don't like Trudeau and they are shifting. No matter your denigrating posts about them will change that

Once again, I AM NOT VOTING FOR PP but this is the reality libs are facing

I only addressed that one because it's the only one that fit the description of "style" and/or "brand". The other stuff is just things about him that you don't like. If you had said that in the first place, I wouldn't even have responded to you.

...and WTF do the "polls" have to do with this discussion? Now you've convinced me that you aren't the "liberal person" that you claim to be.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I only addressed that one because it's the only one that fit the description of "style" and/or "brand". The other stuff is just things about him that you don't like. If you had said that in the first place, I wouldn't even have responded to you.

...and WTF do the "polls" have to do with this discussion? Now you've convinced me that you aren't the "liberal person" that you claim to be.

It's pretty sad that I knew this was coming. Poster explains a few of their concerns, while re iterating they won't vote for PP. Instant response = YOU AREN'T LIBERAL AT ALL YOU LIER! 

Honestly sooo sad at this point...

• Like 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Go piss off then. Bury your head in the sand, be obtuse.

Polls have to do with everything, Trudeau style of politics is not winning. He's going to not win. Why is that once liberal strongholds are not voting for him? Because PP is better? I think not, It's because Trudeau kinda sucks and really is unlikable.

Weather YOU like it or not, this election is more a referendum of the Trudeau government and as it stands right now, it sucks so bad that people are shifting to the right and guys like you are not really digging down to why is that.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's pretty sad that I knew this was coming. Poster explains a few of their concerns, while re iterating they won't vote for PP. Instant response = YOU AREN'T LIBERAL AT ALL YOU LIER! 

I calls em as I sees em....

People can get butthurt all they like.....but "liberals" don't point to the polls to make their point.

12 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I think what you saw was Rupert trying to suss out whether or not that poster was being genuine. Based on the responses I think it's fair to say he was not. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I calls em as I sees em....

People can get butthurt all they like.....but "liberals" don't point to the polls to make their point.

So basically your logic is; Anyone who doesn't worship the ground the current liberal government walks on, they are con loving PP supporters. It's honestly hilarious at this point and completely alienates a lot of actual liberal supporters.

Also everyone points to polls. How often are polls used to indicate that Joe Biden is going to win the American election? Get real. Every party uses polls lol

11 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Polls have to do with everything, Trudeau style of politics is not winning. He's going to not win. Why is that once liberal strongholds are not voting for him? Because PP is better? I think not, It's because Trudeau kinda sucks and really is unlikable.

Weather YOU like it or not, this election is more a referendum of the Trudeau government and as it stands right now, it sucks so bad that people are shifting to the right and guys like you are not really digging down to why is that.

You sound pretty upset....

Here's the thing: None of what you say is news. It's been repeated ad nauseam ITT. You mentioned JT's "style" and I was curious what you meant by that, but instead of explaining what you mean, you point to the polls.

The only thing you mentioned that has anything to do with "style" is the "peoplekind" thing. While that might explain you problem with Trudeau's style, it also doesn't sound liberal". You could have explained that better, or given another example, but instead you decided to talk about polls and make assertions about how JT "sucks" and is "unlikable".

Hence my skepticism....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yup.  We know there's a lot of stupid Canadians.  It's a major reason why the CPC still exists.

This kind of division is another contribution to why the liberals quite very likely will get Molly wopped at the election booths. 

Worked so well for Hillary down south eh?

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So basically your logic is; Anyone who doesn't worship the ground the current liberal government walks on, they are con loving PP supporters. It's honestly hilarious at this point and completely alienates a lot of actual liberal supporters.

Also everyone points to polls. How often are polls used to indicate that Joe Biden is going to win the American election? Get real. Every party uses polls lol

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying Ricky....:classic_rolleyes:

Is English your first language?

Also, "polls" have zero to do with someone's "style".

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

I think what you saw was Rupert trying to suss out whether or not that poster was being genuine. Based on the responses I think it's fair to say he was not. 

Why? Cause I call out why Trudeau really kinda sucks? Liberals don't see or refuse to acknowledge that left of centre people feel this way and are showing it? You can't see it?

I'll say it again, the reason why people are shifting to the right, isn't because PP is so good, but it's because JT sucks. It's showing

13 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

The Liberals lost in a byelection in a riding that is considered the 3rd safest riding in the country for them.  

That is absolutely a statement on Trudeau. And I agree with the analysis that this next election is a referendum on Trudeau. It’s too bad that he is too much into himself to be able to resign. Shows the lack of character in the man. Brian Mulroney and Jean Chrétien both resigned when they knew their time was up. Trudeau on the other hand seems to think he is a dictator and can be PM forever. There is no other reason for him to continue forward other than ego. Losing the 3rd safest seat in the country should have been the final nail in the coffin for him. 

Trudeau is literally handing PP probably the greatest majority government this country has ever seen.  I know a lot of Liberals like yourself who are pissed off.