Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Go piss off then. Bury your head in the sand, be obtuse.

Polls have to do with everything, Trudeau style of politics is not winning. He's going to not win. Why is that once liberal strongholds are not voting for him? Because PP is better? I think not, It's because Trudeau kinda sucks and really is unlikable.

Weather YOU like it or not, this election is more a referendum of the Trudeau government and as it stands right now, it sucks so bad that people are shifting to the right and guys like you are not really digging down to why is that.

Go to the corner with that language sonny.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

This kind of division is another contribution to why the liberals quite very likely will get Molly wopped at the election booths. 

Worked so well for Hillary down south eh?

I'm not sure what else you would call someone who thinks electing vermin like Poilivre with no work experience is a viable option.  They're  either stupid or actually want to destroy the country .

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying Ricky....:classic_rolleyes:

Is English your first language?

Also, "polls" have zero to do with someone's "style".

You sound angry. Are you angry that current liberal government is currently cratering right before your eyes or is it more personal? Either way, maybe you should hop off the internet if you can't handle being on it.

Current polling is a reflection of his "style", so I'd argue there's always a bit of correlation there

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Liberals lost in a byelection in a riding that is considered the 3rd safest riding in the country for them.  

That is absolutely a statement on Trudeau. And I agree with the analysis that this next election is a referendum on Trudeau. It’s too bad that he is too much into himself to be able to resign. Shows the lack of character in the man. Brian Mulroney and Jean Chrétien both resigned when they knew their time was up. Trudeau on the other hand seems to think he is a dictator and can be PM forever. There is no other reason for him to continue forward other than ego. Losing the 3rd safest seat in the country should have been the final nail in the coffin for him. 

Trudeau is literally handing PP probably the greatest majority government this country has ever seen.  I know a lot of Liberals like yourself who are pissed off. 

Why didn't Harper quit?  Or Christy Clack......or Gordon Campbell(well he had to).......I have a good story about Gordo after he said he quit drinking)?

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

You sound pretty upset....

Here's the thing: None of what you say is news. It's been repeated ad nauseam ITT. You mentioned JT's "style" and I was curious what you meant by that, but instead of explaining what you mean, you point to the polls.

The only thing you mentioned that has anything to do with "style" is the "peoplekind" thing. While that might explain you problem with Trudeau's style, it also doesn't sound liberal". You could have explained that better, or given another example, but instead you decided to talk about polls and make assertions about how JT "sucks" and is "unlikable".

Hence my skepticism....

Well, I'm arguing in the moment and I'll fully admit I'm not the best public speaker and typer(I'm 50 and type with two fingers) But I'm frustrated with politics where I WANT my government to see my dissatisfaction with all parties with some sort of spoilt vote or ballot. I have a low key hate for it all

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You sound angry. Are you angry that current liberal government is currently cratering right before your eyes or is it more personal? Either way, maybe you should hop off the internet if you can't handle being on it.

Current polling is a reflection of his "style", so I'd argue there's always a bit of correlation there

I'm not the least bit angry. No idea where you're getting that from.

Just so you can recognize what online "anger" looks like, I've posted a couple of examples below. Telling people to "piss off", or posting in allcaps....both are good examples of angry posters....

24 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Go piss off then. Bury your head in the sand, be obtuse.

Polls have to do with everything, Trudeau style of politics is not winning. He's going to not win. Why is that once liberal strongholds are not voting for him? Because PP is better? I think not, It's because Trudeau kinda sucks and really is unlikable.

Weather YOU like it or not, this election is more a referendum of the Trudeau government and as it stands right now, it sucks so bad that people are shifting to the right and guys like you are not really digging down to why is that.

28 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

It's pretty sad that I knew this was coming. Poster explains a few of their concerns, while re iterating they won't vote for PP. Instant response = YOU AREN'T LIBERAL AT ALL YOU LIER! 

Honestly sooo sad at this point...

4 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Well, I'm arguing in the moment and I'll fully admit I'm not the best public speaker and typer(I'm 50 and type with two fingers) But I'm frustrated with politics where I WANT my government to see my dissatisfaction with all parties with some sort of spoilt vote or ballot. I have a low key hate for it all

I'm 63, so I feel your typing pain....

If you really want to spoil your ballot, write in someone that isn't on the ballot.....lots of good candidates. Gordon Lightfoot, Gord Downie, Neal Peart.....or if you want someone alive, how about Sam Reinhart....after all, he did a service for all Canadians.....outside of Edmonton, anyway....

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'm not the least bit angry. No idea where you're getting that from.

Just so you can recognize what online "anger" looks like, I've posted a couple of examples below. Telling people to "piss off", or posting in allcaps....both are good examples of angry posters....

Lol "is English your first language?" Don't come at with that crap.

Also you seriously trying to use my quote of you as anger posting? Huh? Dude it's time to get off the internet for today. Try again tomorrow...

1 minute ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Lol "is English your first language?" Don't come at with that crap.

Also you seriously trying to use my quote of you as anger posting? Huh? Dude it's time to get off the internet for today. Try again tomorrow...

Sorry Ricky....you're not the boss of the internet....as nice as that would be for you....

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Why didn't Harper quit?  Or Christy Clack......or Gordon Campbell?

Ummm, Christy Clark actually won the 2017 election.  She resigned after the NDP and the Green Party formed a coalition and turned into a new minority government.  Gordon Campbell resigned as Premier on November 3, 2010.  Stephen Harper won a majority government in 2011 while the NDP became the official opposition and the Liberals were reduced to 34 seats.  Also, one week before the 2015 election, the Conservatives were only down by 2.5% in the polls, unlike Trudeau today who has been down by almost 20% for the last year or so. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/472019/latest-polls-for-the-2015-canadian-election/

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So basically your logic is; Anyone who doesn't worship the ground the current liberal government walks on, they are con loving PP supporters. It's honestly hilarious at this point and completely alienates a lot of actual liberal supporters.

Also everyone points to polls. How often are polls used to indicate that Joe Biden is going to win the American election? Get real. Every party uses polls lol

Not at all, but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth. You just created your narrative to rail against.

Firstly, Rupe was most likely suspicious because we've seen this exact same approach from many new posters who claimed to be liberal but over time revealed their views were hard right enough to make mussolini blush. 

The second clue was the narrative that liberals are chasing people away. I've been hearing that coming from conservatives for the last 8 years. Does it happen, sure, maybe to the thin skinned or simple minded, but wholesale change because you got your feelings hurt on the internet, come on. Btw, have you seen what happens in conservative circles when someone disagrees with the narrative? Not pretty, but I'm sure they're not turning to communism in response. 

The second clue was how angry af the poster got right off the bat. To me it seemed pretty over the top for someone looking to have an honest conversation. I'll reserve judgement for now but if I was a betting man I'd say there was an agenda here from the start. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Not at all, but thanks for trying to put words in my mouth. You just created your narrative to rail against.

Firstly, Rupe was most likely suspicious because we've seen this exact same approach from many new posters who claimed to be liberal but over time revealed their views were hard right enough to make mussolini blush. 

The second clue was the narrative that liberals are chasing people away. I've been hearing that coming from conservatives for the last 8 years. Does it happen, sure, maybe to the thin skinned or simple minded, but wholesale change because you got your feelings hurt on the internet, come on. Btw, have you seen what happens in conservative circles when someone disagrees with the narrative? Not pretty, but I'm sure they're not turning to communism in response. 

The second clue was how angry af the poster got right off the bat. To me it seemed pretty over the top for someone looking to have an honest conversation. I'll reserve judgement for now but if I was a betting man I'd say there was an agenda here from the start. 

So firstly. I wasn't talking to you. Never quoted you.

He could have asked a couple more questions before jumping straight to conclusions.

The fact you can't even accept that actual liberal voters could have a problem with the current government shows how ignorant a lot of people in this thread are.

Does it happen on both sides? Of course, but most of the posters here clearly lean a certain way, so obviously it's going to be brought up more.

People are angry in general. I agree coming in guns blazing isn't going to win many over but that doesn't mean they don't have some valid concerns 

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

So firstly. I wasn't talking to you. Never quoted you.

He could have asked a couple more questions before jumping straight to conclusions.

The fact you can't even accept that actual liberal voters could have a problem with the current government shows how ignorant a lot of people in this thread are.

Does it happen on both sides? Of course, but most of the posters here clearly lean a certain way, so obviously it's going to be brought up more.

People are angry in general. I agree coming in guns blazing isn't going to win many over but that doesn't mean they don't have some valid concerns 

That's true, apologies. I think I sausage fingered the wrong notification. 

9 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

The second clue was how angry af the poster got right off the bat. To me it seemed pretty over the top for someone looking to have an honest conversation. I'll reserve judgement for now but if I was a betting man I'd say there was an agenda here from the start

-Liberals are chasing people away. I was taken to task about mentioning polls, but in reality not just the polls but the results show it in what we saw in Toronto. Dismiss it all you want, it's right there. If you can't see that It's not my fault.

-My feelings are not hurt. Once again, things are not trending in JT's favor. I dont' like him and I think of myself as a liberal person who has voted for in the past, same as a great number of other people, but they do not feel the same now. Look at the numbers, they don't lie. Keep saying other stuff, it isn't going to work.

-LOL to saying you're pissy for not listening is "angry af" right off the bat is laughable. Sorry I guess?

-Ah man, the injustice to him

-The only agenda here is I'm pointing out in the JT form of liberals there is a genuine push back and that people are not satisfied with it and not only is it showing in the polls but also what happened in Toronto. If you guys can't see it then you are in for a disappointment. People don't like the dude period. Long time liberals don't like they guy. It don't matter about policies, they just don't want him as a leader. Some of you here have to confront an deal with it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

-Liberals are chasing people away. I was taken to task about mentioning polls, but in reality not just the polls but the results show it in what we saw in Toronto. Dismiss it all you want, it's right there. If you can't see that It's not my fault.

-My feelings are not hurt. Once again, things are not trending in JT's favor. I dont' like him and I think of myself as a liberal person who has voted for in the past, same as a great number of other people, but they do not feel the same now. Look at the numbers, they don't lie. Keep saying other stuff, it isn't going to work.

-LOL to saying you're pissy for not listening is "angry af" right off the bat is laughable. Sorry I guess?

-Ah man, the injustice to him

-The only agenda here is I'm pointing out in the JT form of liberals there is a genuine push back and that people are not satisfied with it and not only is it showing in the polls but also what happened in Toronto. If you guys can't see it then you are in for a disappointment. People don't like the dude period. Long time liberals don't like they guy. It don't matter about policies, they just don't want him as a leader. Some of you here have to confront an deal with it.

We don't like him either but that doesn't automatically mean I believe a conservative government will solve any of the issues facing our country. Quite the contrary actually. You'll have to forgive me though, you have an oddly familiar writing style so I will be measured in my responses to you until I'm sure. Cheers 

Why did nobody answer my really easy question regarding immigration, housing and the labour force?

Immigration has been rightly shown to increase the GDP.  It adds vital bodies to the labour force in which otherwise positions would go unfilled.  These are positions most people would not take and this has been shown so many times.  So what happens to the economy when the new party that has campaigned on slashing immigration to nothing?  What happens when tens of thousands of otherwise designated "menial jobs" go unfilled?

Is there an answer to this because the cascading effect would be very real

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Why did nobody answer my really easy question regarding immigration, housing and the labour force?

Immigration has been rightly shown to increase the GDP.  It adds vital bodies to the labour force in which otherwise positions would go unfilled.  These are positions most people would not take and this has been shown so many times.  So what happens to the economy when the new party that has campaigned on slashing immigration to nothing?  What happens when tens of thousands of otherwise designated "menial jobs" go unfilled?

It is a damn good question! In Prince Rupert, if the Indian and Filipino's did not work in the grocery stores, and other stores, we would be in crisis . Hell, McDonald's would close! Now with the government cracking down on immigrants on student visa's, it is going to be a problem for isolated communities.

6 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

It is a damn good question! In Prince Rupert, if the Indian and Filipino's did not work in the grocery stores, and other stores, we would be in crisis . Hell, McDonald's would close! Now with the government cracking down on immigrants on student visa's, it is going to be a problem for isolated communities.

People have said that "canadians will fill these jobs" except no...they wont

Like at all

That's why we have a temp labour force and immigrants taking farm jobs, fast food jobs, cleaning jobs, nursing and care jobs, nanny jobs.

Immigrants add to the gdp period.  Too many drags it down.  We know this.  But cutting immigration to nill levels would crater the labour force and the economy in parts.  

There has to be a balance we all know this but it doesn't seem either side appreciates this reality.  In fairness, Trudeaus party has said they'd cut levels to reasonable margins but the next Pms party has said essentially closed borders.

Has to be a happy medium

• ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

But isn't there a cascading effect to our healthcare? Born in Canada, pay a crapload in taxes work and take no services and I can't find a doctor out in Chilliwack? Should we not have a balance?

• Cheers 1

Just now, BabyCakes said:

But isn't there a cascading effect to our healthcare? Born in Canada, pay a crapload in taxes work and take no services and I can't find a doctor out in Chilliwack? Should we not have a balance?

Health care has been an issue since the early 90s.  This isn't new.  Drs have not bee coming to Canada because the US is far more lucrative as are private practices.  

It also does not address what would happen to the gdp or labour force in the event of a total cut on immigration levels.