Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

But since the 90's healthcare hasn't been this bad and it's only getting worse with unchecked immigration. 

It's funny but I fear saying certain things will get me miss labelled on this board, even if in in truth it's the opposite, but maybe we need to review the immigration we have coming in. I feel like the pressures on our services, let alone healthcare really have not been taken into account, especially when the provinces have no say on immigrants coming in.

I mean should we just let them flood into certain areas without checks and say it's cause GDP?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

But since the 90's healthcare hasn't been this bad and it's only getting worse with unchecked immigration. 

It's funny but I fear saying certain things will get me miss labelled on this board, even if in in truth it's the opposite, but maybe we need to review the immigration we have coming in. I feel like the pressures on our services, let alone healthcare really have not been taken into account, especially when the provinces have no say on immigrants coming in.

I mean should we just let them flood into certain areas without checks and say it's cause GDP?

We have a very large percentage of Canadian who will be needing more health care as they continue to age. We need these immigrants to work, pay taxes, and help take care of the aging boomer population.

24 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

But isn't there a cascading effect to our healthcare? Born in Canada, pay a crapload in taxes work and take no services and I can't find a doctor out in Chilliwack? Should we not have a balance?

Health care is one of my top issues as well, and one of the main reasons I am fearful of the conservatives. The constant conservative  push for "choice" is a push for 2 tier health care which will further syphon away employees from the public system. Pretty soon we have something that looks similar to the mess we see to the south. I would prefer we emulate countries with the best public health systems rather than one of the worst. I don't think Pierre shares my thinking. 

39 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Do you have some kind of link between health care use and immigration? 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Why did nobody answer my really easy question regarding immigration, housing and the labour force?

Immigration has been rightly shown to increase the GDP.  It adds vital bodies to the labour force in which otherwise positions would go unfilled.  These are positions most people would not take and this has been shown so many times.  So what happens to the economy when the new party that has campaigned on slashing immigration to nothing?  What happens when tens of thousands of otherwise designated "menial jobs" go unfilled?

Is there an answer to this because the cascading effect would be very real

Please advise us as to where Poilievre stated that he will slash immigration to nothing. 

Working in the marine field, it has been known since the 80's that there would be a shortage of officers and engineers.

Guess what...crewing offices were right........managers did not listen!

So, now they have to compete world wide with all the other countries for these people..........

Same for doctors, same for nurses, same for all trained personal

But....times also changed and the young Canadians, and Americans, do not want to start at the bottom, for bottom money

So these entry level jobs just do not get filled up by our own young people

It most definitely is a balance, and I sure hope everyone figures this out quick

I don't give a flying F, which party is in as long as they get these things figured out!

Funny how we can!

Edited by JIAHN
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Please advise us as to where Poilievre stated that he will slash immigration to nothing. 

Tying immigration levels to the number of homes being built

https://financialpost.com/real-estate/pierre-poilievre-pledges-tie-immigration-levels-homebuilding

With our record year in the last 30 years being a measly 240,000 homes.  Yet, also with so many homes being in need of rebuilding after numerous disasters from flooding to wildfires that suggests that immigration levels will be at or below the 200k mark.

What happens when we have half of the suggested level of immigrants coming in that is required by some experts to keep the ponzi scheme of gdp growth via bodies and the labour forces suggested numbers of replacements via retiring workers?  

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

https://financialpost.com/real-estate/pierre-poilievre-pledges-tie-immigration-levels-homebuilding

With our record year in the last 30 years being a measly 240,000 homes.  Yet, also with so many homes being in need of rebuilding after numerous disasters from flooding to wildfires that suggests that immigration levels will be at or below the 200k mark.

What happens when we have half of the suggested level of immigrants coming in that is required by some experts to keep the ponzi scheme of gdp growth via bodies and the labour forces suggested numbers of replacements via retiring workers?  

We can be more friendly to resources and industry and let gdp be driven from economic growth instead of population growth.

12 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

We can be more friendly to resources and industry and let gdp be driven from economic growth instead of population growth.

We don't have the refining capacity or capability to actually increase our gdp appreciably from resources and industry.  The plan since about 85 has been sell to the US and since about 95 China and if we're not making enough, sell more at a little bit of a cheaper price.

Without the ability to refine our resources here we dont have the ability to appreciably increase our gdp based on resources or industry.  It's a sad fact but one grounded in reality

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You said immigration would be reduced to nothing. So I’m glad you corrected yourself and changed it to immigration will be tied to new home builds, as it should be. Which means around 240,000 new immigrants per year. Sounds about right. 

Even Trudeau admitted that the current numbers are too high so he will be scaling back the numbers regardless what Poilievre does. 

In terms of the GDP, hard choices will

need to be made to fix our problems. Like you said, our GDP growth is a Ponzi scheme. As you are aware, all Ponzi schemes eventually die out. Just ask Bernie Madoff. 

As Boudrias keeps saying, he doesn’t think the Conservatives will fix all of our problems. And neither do I. However, we are in a situation where the current government can’t even win  a riding in one of their safest areas of the country. So they have no shot in the next election. Change is coming. So we better hope PP can at least mitigate some of the damage. If he can’t, he’ll get voted out like everyone else eventually does. 

5 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Health care is one of my top issues as well, and one of the main reasons I am fearful of the conservatives. The constant conservative  push for "choice" is a push for 2 tier health care which will further syphon away employees from the public system. Pretty soon we have something that looks similar to the mess we see to the south. I would prefer we emulate countries with the best public health systems rather than one of the worst. I don't think Pierre shares my thinking. 

Part of the healthcare issue would be resolved if all the provinical licensing boards would get their collective head out of their collective ass and start lowering the barriers that effectively exclude trained professionals from abroad from getting the necessary clearance to work in their field(s) of training here.  We have people who have the same or perhaps better quality training immigrating from abroad, but no means to practice because they can't get the license to practice owing to local protectionism.

edit - and in some cases, returning home from training abroad, though strictly speaking, they aren't immigrants (but still don't have their credentials recognized)

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You said immigration would be reduced to nothing. So I’m glad you corrected yourself and changed it to immigration will be tied to new home builds, as it should be. Which means around 240,000 new immigrants per year. Sounds about right. 

Even Trudeau admitted that the current numbers are too high so he will be scaling back the numbers regardless what Poilievre does. 

In terms of the GDP, hard choices will

need to be made to fix our problems. Like you said, our GDP growth is a Ponzi scheme. As you are aware, all Ponzi schemes eventually die out. Just ask Bernie Madoff. 

As Boudrias keeps saying, he doesn’t think the Conservatives will fix all of our problems. And neither do I. However, we are in a situation where the current government can’t even win  a riding in one of their safest areas of the country. So they have no shot in the next election. Change is coming. So we better hope PP can at least mitigate some of the damage. If he can’t, he’ll get voted out like everyone else eventually does. 

Big mistake if Trudeau is voted out because he isn't "cool" anymore. The CPC has to layout the Liberal record and concisely explain what it will cost the country in lost opportunity. They will have to lay out a platform on how they will revitalize the economy and reenergize the people's ambitions to build a better future. Can they do that? I certainly hope they can because if they cannot Canada will be in a major free fall. Canada will require a massive investment into industry that can generate actual revenue instead of consuming it. I always talk about energy as the obvious opportunity. It would generate jobs, government tax revenue and foreign income that would strengthen the CDN $. It would weaken the eastern grip on Canada but putting $10's billions into EV batteries is to far out on the risk curve to make me comfortable. The Liberals have put major investment dollars into tech research in universities. The challenge in this sector is developing Canada based tech companies. Yes, there are a few but the usual path is innovation moving south to be monetized. 

What looms in the future is another Trump presidency. That does not bode well for Canada as Trump is no real friend to Canada. In a way it might work out for Canada as it will force the country to actually build a more independent economic future. Immigration? IMHO the federal government has to step back to an extent and allow provinces to tailor their immigrant intake by determining what skills are needed. What labor is needed where. I am not against demanding immigrants being allowed in if their location is restricted for a prescribed time. ie a doctor can come to BC if he/she commits to working in Prince George for a 2 year term. Progressive won't like that restriction but what is best for the country should come first. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Do you have some kind of link between health care use and immigration? 

https://financialpost.com/diane-francis/trudeau-immigration-housing-health-breaking-point

The numbers reveal the problem. Last year, Canada welcomed 492,984 new immigrants, all of whom will eventually be issued health cards, entitling them to medical benefits for life. This year, another 465,000 immigrants are set to arrive, plus another 485,000 in 2024 and 500,000 in 2025.

They were raising the issue in 2023, despite significant investment since then people still can't get a doctor

It's not new news and it's not hard to imagine that half a million immigrants a year are going to need health care(and a place to live) where it's going to put a strain on a overburdened system that covid exposed.

I'm not against immigration at all. I understand that we need it for growth, but if the feds want to bring in that many people they should also make sure the provinces are ready and they are failing which is why David Eby is bitching to Ottawa.

9 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

https://financialpost.com/diane-francis/trudeau-immigration-housing-health-breaking-point

They were raising the issue in 2023, despite significant investment since then people still can't get a doctor

It's not new news and it's not hard to imagine that half a million immigrants a year are going to need health care(and a place to live) where it's going to put a strain on a overburdened system that covid exposed.

I'm not against immigration at all. I understand that we need it for growth, but if the feds want to bring in that many people they should also make sure the provinces are ready and they are failing which is why David Eby is bitching to Ottawa.

I'm talking about actual use. You're claiming there is too much strain from immigration, but show me the numbers compared to our aging population.

10 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I am not 100% in disagreement with you but.......

We still have to ensure "Polly" lake damn busts do no happen.......not enough onsite inspections....tailings dam breaks and presto, an preventable emergency happens

Nor all the oil exploration equipment left in the Tundra..........Environment Canada says it will damage the Tundra to take it out...yet how did it get there?

Or sell our water off, like we did our Oil.....................The Conservative cancelled the National Energy Program, and sold off the resources for pennies on the dollar

So, yes, friendly, but certainly not sell off our future to multi nation companies, that rape, then disappear

There has to be balance

The trouble is, none of the Federal parties offer that balance

And my biggest problems with the Conservatives is they have saddled up to the far right, just as the NDP have saddled up with the far left

I hate all 3 parties.......as they do not give much choice!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bolt said:

That's not incompetence it's potentially a gross abuse of power or an incredible over reach but it's not incompetence.

Stop with the rhetoric and think clearly.  It might help

• ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, JIAHN said:

It is a damn good question! In Prince Rupert, if the Indian and Filipino's did not work in the grocery stores, and other stores, we would be in crisis . Hell, McDonald's would close! Now with the government cracking down on immigrants on student visa's, it is going to be a problem for isolated communities.

Further to that, I had a conversation with the VP of the college I work at here in PR and he mentioned something about "tougher times" coming up for us and the possibility that some programs will have to be cut.

The reason is the cap on student visas.

As the only IT person at the PR campus, my job is fairly secure, but it could mean layoffs for others.

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Further to that, I had a conversation with the VP of the college I work at here in PR and he mentioned something about "tougher times" coming up for us and the possibility that some programs will have to be cut.

The reason is the cap on student visas.

As the only IT person at the PR campus, my job is fairly secure, but it could mean layoffs for others.

There you go, another well thought out plan, with unplanned repercussions!

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Health care has been an issue since the early 90s.  This isn't new.  Drs have not bee coming to Canada because the US is far more lucrative as are private practices.  

It also does not address what would happen to the gdp or labour force in the event of a total cut on immigration levels.

Here in PR, we have been recruiting doctors from South Africa for several years and it has worked out very well.

IMO, the government needs to streamline the process for both doctors and nurses, because there are plenty of qualified people who will come to Canada and fill those positions. In fact, the nursing issue is probably even more acute.  Nurses from the Philippines in particular could take a huge burden off the system, if we could just make it easier for them to qualify to work in Canada.

18 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Here in PR, we have been recruiting doctors from South Africa for several years and it has worked out very well.

IMO, the government needs to streamline the process for both doctors and nurses, because there are plenty of qualified people who will come to Canada and fill those positions. In fact, the nursing issue is probably even more acute.  Nurses from the Philippines in particular could take a huge burden off the system, if we could just make it easier for them to qualify to work in Canada.

One part of the Conservative platform I agree with 100% is the reduction of the ridiculous hurdles for immigrating professionals in health care, construction IT and R&D

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

One part of the Conservative platform I agree with 100% is the reduction of the ridiculous hurdles for immigrating professionals in health care, construction IT and R&D

It's not a federal problem tho, ultimately. It's the professional colleges (the governance bodies not schools) that determines who is qualified.

It's their asses on the line if unqualified doctors enter the system.

• ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

There you go, another well thought out plan, with unplanned repercussions!

It's a balancing act. As much as we need these students to boost enrollment numbers, they are having trouble finding places to live. This is true for all three of the main campuses. (Smithers, Terrace and PR) Things might be a bit better for students in Hazelton, but I don't know for sure.

We're seeing the same thing with some employees. My department includes people from India, the Philippines, the ME South Korea and Brazil. It hasn't been easy for some of them to find accommodation, either.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's not a federal problem tho, ultimately. It's the professional colleges (the governance bodies not schools) that determines who is qualified.

It's their asses on the line if unqualified doctors enter the system.

They need to coordinate with those same bodies in the countries of origin and establish benchmarks. Once they have agreed on what makes a person qualified, then accreditation in the the other country can be accepted in Canada.

12 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Increasing our population via non skilled immigrant workers vs improving the mental and physical well being of the already 40 million workers you already have, which is more likely to increase production more?  

• ThereItIs 1