Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Increasing our population via non skilled immigrant workers vs improving the mental and physical well being of the already 40 million workers you already have, which is more likely to increase production more?  

Given that a large portion of the people already here are stupid enough to destroy the country by voting for Poilivre, I'll take my chances with the immigrants.

12 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

They need to coordinate with those same bodies in the countries of origin and establish benchmarks. Once they have agreed on what makes a person qualified, then accreditation in the the other country can be accepted in Canada.

I've done some work for the BC college, it's nowhere near that simple.

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

If you don't like the people here in Canada, you could always move to another country. 

There's idiots everywhere.  I just prefer immigrants who are grateful to be there over ungrateful bigots who blame that government for all their problems and the n electing a neo-Nazi who's never held a real job is going to make things better.

43 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Increasing our population via non skilled immigrant workers vs improving the mental and physical well being of the already 40 million workers you already have, which is more likely to increase production more?  

We dont have 40 million workers....

The mental and physical well being of our labour force is also tied directly to their wages, benefits and pension.  Many positions do not offer any of the above in any kind of quality capacity and suggesting that immigrants or immigration is somehow eroding that as opposed to depressed wages, no beenefits or a lack of a qualified private pension is a bit out in the weeds

As for truly increasing production.  One of the best and easiest ways to do so would be corporations and industry taking their insane quarterly or yearly profits and reinvesting in their own enterprises in Canada instead of buying back shares to increase their own personal wealth.  The amount of $$ being hoarded by corporations and industry is insane and the level of reinvestment has tanked over the last 15 years or so.  Without massive government subsidization many companies/corporations do not in fact reinvest much in to existing operations in canada unless it is time to expand at which point they come with hands out to provincial and federal coffers

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

The mental and physical well being of our labour force is also tied directly to their wages, benefits and pension.  Many positions do not offer any of the above in any kind of quality capacity and suggesting that immigrants or immigration is somehow eroding that as opposed to depressed wages, no beenefits or a lack of a qualified private pension is a bit out in the weeds

I guess he's expecting children and the elderly to work.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'm talking about actual use. You're claiming there is too much strain from immigration, but show me the numbers compared to our aging population.

What do you want here, are you discussing in good faith? Are you telling me everything is fine? Are you saying that healthcare is fine with the current amounts of immigration but it's just housing that's the problem?

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/02/23/bc-family-doctors-more-access/

“That number is probably now in the mid to high 700,000 number, because we’ve been able to attract more family physicians to British Columbia,” said Dr. Ahmer Karimuddin, president of Doctors of BC.

700,000 freaking people don't have doctors in BC as of feb 2024. Is that acceptable?

https://creastats.crea.ca/board/vanc-migration

resulting in a net increase of 37,705 people to British Columbia’s population in the first quarter of 2024. This was an increase of 2.3% from the first quarter of 2023.

We added 37,000 people so far this year who all presumably want healthcare along with the other 700,000. What else do you want?

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

As for truly increasing production.  One of the best and easiest ways to do so would be corporations and industry taking their insane quarterly or yearly profits and reinvesting in their own enterprises in Canada instead of buying back shares to increase their own personal wealth.  The amount of $$ being hoarded by corporations and industry is insane and the level of reinvestment has tanked over the last 15 years or so.  Without massive government subsidization many companies/corporations do not in fact reinvest much in to existing operations in canada unless it is time to expand at which point they come with hands out to provincial and federal coffers

Yeah it is more like 20 million workers, I would argue "the mental and physical well being of our labour force is also tied directly to their wages, benefits and pension" relative to the costs of goods such as food, household good, housing, and entertainment. If we keep raising the bolded above but the costs of goods also keeps going up at the same pace then we will see no improvement in quality of life. It just leaves the people who are unable to work or don't own a house much worse off.  

Relatively high capital gains tax compared to other nations does not exactly foster high capital investments in Canada, especially for multinational corporations with options. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Canada? I think we just reached a population of 41 million. Quit exaggerating.

21 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah it is more like 20 million workers, I would argue "the mental and physical well being of our labour force is also tied directly to their wages, benefits and pension" relative to the costs of goods such as food, household good, housing, and entertainment. If we keep raising the bolded above but the costs of goods also keeps going up at the same pace then we will see no improvement in quality of life. It just leaves the people who are unable to work or don't own a house much worse off.  

Relatively high capital gains tax compared to other nations does not exactly foster high capital investments in Canada, especially for multinational corporations with options. 

So which is it?

Corporations have refused to invest in Canada since 2015 which means that they have not upgraded equipment or increased capacity or the like which leads to less overall production and a more strained labour force.  All while banking massive profits and enacting massive share buybacks

or

Immigrants are causing mental and physical issues with the labour force?

As for relatively high capital gains taxes, the new law just came in to effect and has no effect on investments in to the nation by corporations.

You will not see me moaning or crying about a corporation having to pay their fair share when they manage to skate by on so many other taxable instances

Canada seems to be the world doormat for the corporations licking their chops at pushing the boundaries as to what we will tolerate. You see it with telecom and internet providers, with gas companies, and now with food. It's kinda crazy how we tolerate and even accept this situation, all the while governments seem to have no answer

2 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Canada seems to be the world doormat for the corporations licking their chops at pushing the boundaries as to what we will tolerate. You see it with telecom and internet providers, with gas companies, and now with food. It's kinda crazy how we tolerate and even accept this situation, all the while governments seem to have no answer

I thought capitalism was king?

Decades of CONs pushing small government,  less taxes, deregulation, privatization.

But it's CONs who gonna fix things.

Lol

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Regulating the telecom and internet providers has helped.

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I thought capitalism was king?

Decades of CONs pushing small government,  less taxes, deregulation, privatization.

But it's CONs who gonna fix things.

Lol

Well years of Liberal governments have done nothing as well... so yeah.  And to you all naysayers who think I dare be critical to the Liberals, so I must be conservative, I'm not. Things really sorta can't stay the same with this side, and they certainly are not sustainable with our current government, so what do we do? Constantly blather on about PP being the worst or show them all we are not satisfied?

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't expect a party that promises less regulation to solve the issue.  The NDP has already suggested stronger regulations with the grocery chains.

I'm cool with that, as along as they take into consideration of a ever growing carbon tax that takes into account, to grow and deliver the goods, coupled with the high costs of switching to low carbon ways of producing and delivering said goods. Are we going to hand out perpetual subsidies for this?

It's a quandary for governments to figure this shit out but they are the ones to initiate these problems, but neither have a viable solutuon

46 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Well years of Liberal governments have done nothing as well... so yeah.  And to you all naysayers who think I dare be critical to the Liberals, so I must be conservative, I'm not. Things really sorta can't stay the same with this side, and they certainly are not sustainable with our current government, so what do we do? Constantly blather on about PP being the worst or show them all we are not satisfied?

The sad thing is that this JT hate boner is walking us right towards a CON majority.  It has been pointed out is sooooo many ways that CONs have the worst track record with regards to the issues you bring up.

A liberal/NDP coalition is way way way way way more likely to introduce legislation to address your grievances.  A CON majority is more likely to cut a lot of programs.  See their history of closing Veterans offices and Coast Guard offices, etc.

37 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

I'm cool with that, as along as they take into consideration of a ever growing carbon tax that takes into account, to grow and deliver the goods, coupled with the high costs of switching to low carbon ways of producing and delivering said goods. Are we going to hand out perpetual subsidies for this?

It's a quandary for governments to figure this shit out but they are the ones to initiate these problems, but neither have a viable solutuon

Like we do with Oil and Gas companies?  What's the deficit with regards to orphan well cleanup in Alberta alone?  

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The sad thing is that this JT hate boner is walking us right towards a CON majority.  It has been pointed out is sooooo many ways that CONs have the worst track record with regards to the issues you bring up.

A liberal/NDP coalition is way way way way way more likely to introduce legislation to address your grievances.  A CON majority is more likely to cut a lot of programs.  See their history of closing Veterans offices and Coast Guard offices, etc.

That's the thing though, people don't like the guy period. Full stop. Doesn't matter anymore about what he will do or what policies he will put forward. Even to their detriment. All the liberal people I know won't vote for him. I personally don't like the guy for many reasons and LOTS of other people don't as well, hence my original post that I want to show some dissatisfaction towards the liberals, but I get labelled as a conservative. They gotta change, and soon but they can't read the tea leaves and the polls and blithely think everything's okay when it clearly isn't.

One of Justin's many criticisms is that he is out of touch with many Canadians, which is so obvious right now

7 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

That's the thing though, people don't like the guy period. Full stop. Doesn't matter anymore about what he will do or what policies he will put forward. Even to their detriment. All the liberal people I know won't vote for him. I personally don't like the guy for many reasons and LOTS of other people don't as well, hence my original post that I want to show some dissatisfaction towards the liberals, but I get labelled as a conservative. They gotta change, and soon but they can't read the tea leaves and the polls and blithely think everything's okay when it clearly isn't.

One of Justin's many criticisms is that he is out of touch with many Canadians, which is so obvious right now

How does this differ from a guy who has never held a job, paid a bill, went grocery shopping, struggled to feed a kid, dealt with the public school or health care system and has all his expenses paid for?