Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

Just now, Whorvat said:

So its a free country until someone does something you disagree with. Mhm

such a cowardly position. You refusing to explain it speaks volumes.

And where did I say they didn't have a right to act like asshats, btw?

Just now, Whorvat said:

No fantasy, just facts. This is the kind of stuff you're into I guess

https://dailycaller.com/2024/07/01/california-cops-stand-idle-pride-parade-pee-children-san-francisco-gay/

is that Canada?

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

such a cowardly position. You refusing to explain it speaks volumes.

And where did I say they didn't have a right to act like asshats, btw?

is that Canada?

Your opinion that them waiving a flag makes them asshats, think that says a lot more about you than anything though. Par for the course for you.

Ah yes, that deflecting thing you're referring to. Gotcha. 

Just now, Whorvat said:

Your opinion that them waiving a flag makes them asshats, think that says a lot more about you than anything though. Par for the course for you.

so they have freedom of expression but I don't? how alt right of you. 

Just now, Whorvat said:

you brought in some weird story from the US to make some misguided point about the Canadian left. Bring something more relevant. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

so they have freedom of expression but I don't? how alt right of you. 

you brought in some weird story from the US to make some misguided point about the Canadian left. Bring something more relevant. 

They're not the ones complaining about people waiving the flag of the country, you are.

Carry on. Don't know why I engage in conversation with you in any thread, same shit different day with you.

1 hour ago, Whorvat said:

Oh no a Canada flag, they must hate everyone, including the country

Am I doing this right? 

Maybe we should just make Canada day a pride celebration so everyone can get blowies in the streets and the lefties will rejoice

Grow up.  Seriously.  Don't be such a petulant waste.

When men and women are less than a block or so away from families celebrating our nation screaming about it being broken, yelling in to megaphones and waving F trudeau flags it's really clear.

People can display the flag however they want. Its you that has an issue with how its being done.

I can play this game too...

So you're saying you're for blow jobs in the streets in front of children?? Mighty lefty of you

Peopl can display it all they want, but it's those and this attitude that mean people won't be sure if those waving it love our nation or think it's some sort of liberal hell hole and broken beyond repair unless super pierre gets in to power and magically fixes everything overnight

So its a free country until someone does something you disagree with. Mhm

No fantasy, just facts. This is the kind of stuff you're into I guess

https://dailycaller.com/2024/07/01/california-cops-stand-idle-pride-parade-pee-children-san-francisco-gay/

That's not Canada.  Stay on topic ok.  

Their actions made them those people, not the mere action of waving a flag but thanks for coming out

They're not the ones complaining about people waiving the flag of the country, you are.

Carry on. Don't know why I engage in conversation with you in any thread, same shit different day with you.

Ya, but you'll still keep coming back.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Like I said ..... This new version of PP's conservatism should come with mental health warning labels

Screaming woke at everything they disagree with and declaring those apposed as leftists are ludicrous. Supporting Pride doesn't mean any person supports the equally ridiculous inferences your trying to create 

It is fact that the freedom klown convey movement used the Canadian flag in their protests and continues to over saturate it's use to create the image and messaging that they are Canada and Canada is then.

It's also fact many Canadians are reluctant to fly out flag now because of this.  Many Canadians feel the flag belongs to all of us and not just one political party and movement. Still others also believe in treating our flag with respect. That means not using it improperly or displaying it improperly.  Many of the klown convey violate many of those written and unwritten rules of decorum.

No Canadian flag should be the principal banner for protest , flown upside down, used in any manner that it intended to divide us or places the flag in a manner that Canadians would see it as disrespectful.

From upside flags to flags flown on vehicles to the point of disrepair , to using it to shove in people's face screaming about overthrow of the democracy......  Only the blind can't see how conservatives have weaponized our flag 

No Canadian should ever feel worried about flying out flag. The fear and concerns are real and rest solely at the feet of the conservative movement in Canada.

For me the last straw was a women screaming at me as I passed their protest because I wouldn't take a flag to wave and join them. I said I have that flag on my vet plates and wore it on my uniform - it's not a protest rag. She screamed I was no patriot and was a commie leftists 

Maybe if 364 days of the year it wasn't used in my community as the colors of the klown convey around town if feel different 

Like it or hate it .... It's everyone's democratic right to behave as such.  And my right to see the flag as being co-oped and diminished Is no less important than their right to use it for protest 

"What do you want the flag to mean" could be a powerful election ad for the libs.

Most people don't associate with the convoy weirdos. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 112 said:

i still don't know what 'woke' means except that it's generally the opposite of what seems progressive and compassionate to me. people will say that 'wokeism' is destroying the fabric of the country, when really it seems like they're just attacking intersectional thought and values which are considerate of the different struggles that marginalized people face -- and the idea that everyone should be able to participate in society and pursue happiness to the full extent possible within their abilities.

I am pretty sure it is just an insult towards progressive ideas and the people who espouse them. 

for me "Defund the police" was a 'woke' idea in that it deserved ridicule because it was an inarticulate catch phrase that did not capture the idea it supposedly represented.

Instead for me "Fund Social Workers to augment police", (particularly in the case of 'wellbeing calls' and 'mental health calls' to the police/911.) is the progressive idea that I support and wouldn't call "woke" . 

Maybe I am off the mark but that is how i see the term. It is derogatory in nature and insulting.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am pretty sure it is just an insult towards progressive ideas and the people who espouse them. 

for me "Defund the police" was a 'woke' idea in that it deserved ridicule because it was an inarticulate catch phrase that did not capture the idea it supposedly represented.

Instead for me "Fund Social Workers to augment police", (particularly in the case of 'wellbeing calls' and 'mental health calls' to the police/911.) is the progressive idea that I support and wouldn't call "woke" . 

Maybe I am off the mark but that is how i see the term. It is derogatory in nature and insulting.

The same idiots tend to tell people to "wake up" while peddling their conspiracy theories.  Get ready for the dictionary to get added to list of books they want banned.

• Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

4 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I'm someone who has had a lot of interaction with the police through mental health/wellbeing calls and am in support of the 'defund' movement in the sense that it's advocating for alternative, non-police responses to crisis events. This does not mean police should be removed from communities altogether. You're right that it wasn't advertised appropriately by many of those who were behind it. You're also, I presume, correct that 'woke' is just a way to insult progressive ideas without offering anything in terms of meat. 'Woke' just seems like such an empty term for me and I can't get anyone to explain what it means precisely.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 112 said:

I'm someone who has had a lot of interaction with the police through mental health/wellbeing calls and am in support of the 'defund' movement in the sense that it's advocating for alternative, non-police responses to crisis events. This does not mean police should be removed from communities altogether. You're right that it wasn't advertised appropriately by many of those who were behind it. You're also, I presume, correct that 'woke' is just a way to insult progressive ideas without offering anything in terms of meat. 'Woke' just seems like such an empty term for me and I can't get anyone to explain what it means precisely.

"woke" has really been abused as a concept. It wasn't even meant for white folks to use. Now its just a catch all for whatever the alt boys want to hate.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

I have lost a couple old buds in the veteran community to what we would call suicide by cop, that is to say without knowing the exact details: police were involved in a welfare check call and the vet ended up dead. I totally get what you are talking about there. 

• Cheers 1

New 30-year mortgages are coming and the devil's in the details

As of Aug. 1, first-time homebuyers purchasing a newly built home for less than $1-million with a down payment smaller than 20 per cent will be able to opt in to an insured 30-year amortization period — up from a 25-year maximum.

Legal Aid Alberta to stop services over contract dispute with provincial government

Legal Aid Alberta says it plans to end its services next week over a contract dispute with the province.

The society says in a statement that the United Conservative Party government gave it an ultimatum on a new funding arrangement that would undermine its independence and place it financially under the control of the justice minister.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/legal-aid-alberta-to-stop-services-over-contract-dispute-with-provincial-government-1.6949794

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bob Long said:

"woke" has really been abused as a concept. It wasn't even meant for white folks to use. Now its just a catch all for whatever the alt boys want to hate.

That's it right there isn't it? There's another word like that they like to use as well. Just not as openly in public. 

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/1/2024 at 2:16 PM, Warhippy said:

I hate this.

It's Canada day and all I see are people waving flags and my mind immediately goes to, are you celebrating or just fucking stupid?

This is what happens when you allow zealots to co-opt a symbol of a nation

That's a weird thing, honestly. Canada Day itself is weird too, there are things to celebrate but there's also a lot of ugly stuff attached to Canadian history that some folks just don't want to wade through. But the ugly bits aren't just history, they exist in the present as well. 

I don't see an issue with being proud to be Canadian, Canada provides a better life to many and plenty of opportunities, but even that is nuanced. I link it back to what I call the gradual Americanization of politics, I question where the line between patriotism and nationalism is for a lot of folks, and it's gotten to the point where I am indeed skeptical when I see folks displaying Canada flags and symbols, because these symbols are often co-opted.

I know a lot of folks who are proud to be Canadian, who are happy to live here, but in my experience most Canadians aren't overt about such things the same way that US Americans are. There's a bit of a cultural difference there imo, Americans are much more likely to boast about their patriotism and nationalism, and to engage with physical symbols of such things, whereas when it comes to a lot of things I think Canadians are more subtle. I do think there's been a growing tendency for those who actively boast right wing talking points and so on to engage more like Americans do in regards to symbolism and so on. 

It presents itself in bits like Canada Proud, or the Canada Strong and Free Network (formerly the Manning Centre). At face value there's not really anything wrong with the words "Canada Proud" or "Canada Strong and Free", but there are agendas, values, and beliefs attached to the organizations and groups attempting to incorporate patriotism as part of their branding, as a hook with which to fish. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've seen more of these bits popping up on social media more over the past few years, it's just my own observation but I've noticed more of it post-Harper. 

But I'm also someone who has grown increasingly wary of patriotism and nationalism in general over time, because concepts can be weaponized and warped for various agendas. Flags are powerful symbols, patriotism is a powerful thing to try and tap into. Sometimes someone driving around with a Canadian car flag is just someone with a car flag, but when I see massive Canadian flags attached to vehicles it gives me pause, because it's become more and more common for such flags to be accompanied by other messaging. 

I'd wager that skepticism of the display of national symbolism has become more and more common.

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a weird thing, honestly. Canada Day itself is weird too, there are things to celebrate but there's also a lot of ugly stuff attached to Canadian history that some folks just don't want to wade through. But the ugly bits aren't just history, they exist in the present as well. 

I don't see an issue with being proud to be Canadian, Canada provides a better life to many and plenty of opportunities, but even that is nuanced. I link it back to what I call the gradual Americanization of politics, I question where the line between patriotism and nationalism is for a lot of folks, and it's gotten to the point where I am indeed skeptical when I see folks displaying Canada flags and symbols, because these symbols are often co-opted.

I know a lot of folks who are proud to be Canadian, who are happy to live here, but in my experience most Canadians aren't overt about such things the same way that US Americans are. There's a bit of a cultural difference there imo, Americans are much more likely to boast about their patriotism and nationalism, and to engage with physical symbols of such things, whereas when it comes to a lot of things I think Canadians are more subtle. I do think there's been a growing tendency for those who actively boast right wing talking points and so on to engage more like Americans do in regards to symbolism and so on. 

It presents itself in bits like Canada Proud, or the Canada Strong and Free Network (formerly the Manning Centre). At face value there's not really anything wrong with the words "Canada Proud" or "Canada Strong and Free", but there are agendas, values, and beliefs attached to the organizations and groups attempting to incorporate patriotism as part of their branding, as a hook with which to fish. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've seen more of these bits popping up on social media more over the past few years, it's just my own observation but I've noticed more of it post-Harper. 

But I'm also someone who has grown increasingly wary of patriotism and nationalism in general over time, because concepts can be weaponized and warped for various agendas. Flags are powerful symbols, patriotism is a powerful thing to try and tap into. Sometimes someone driving around with a Canadian car flag is just someone with a car flag, but when I see massive Canadian flags attached to vehicles it gives me pause, because it's become more and more common for such flags to be accompanied by other messaging. 

I'd wager that skepticism of the display of national symbolism has become more and more common.

you're not wrong of course on the ugly parts of our history, and it can be hard to want to celebrate something that has that as part of it.

But then I remember the world has horrible things in it everywhere, but at least Canada is trying to get it right. No its not fast enough, and can never really make up for it, but I feel like we're one of the few places on the planet that is at least trying and we are finally starting to see some real changes. 

There haven't been many better places for people to end up for creating better lives for themselves and their future generations. 

I won't hand the flag over to the dumb dumbs either, they did nothing to earn it. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2