Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It could be, but I doubt even they know exactly what's on the chopping block.  None of the raging right's leaders seem to have any inkling of what that ??? might be, otherwise they'd have shared it by now.

Lots of possibilities.  The party that thought closing veterans offices and Coast Guard facilities was a good idea have no bottom to how far they can go.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

And what is that something?  Because most people can agree that the something is policies that are nowhere near to typical conservative policies.   

I would love for the posters with hate boners for JT to actually spell out how we change things.  Posters like myself have ideas, but we would LOVE to see posters like yourself actually spell out how you'd like it to be done.  Give ideas that PP is likely to enact.

So how do we increase the inventory of affordable rentals and housing?  

Well increasing inventory isn't happening at a fast enough rate due to cost of building and a bunch of other red tape bullshit. They could cut the record amounts of immigration which have completely strained all our services. That would slow the bleeding while they very slowly build more. Government is probably going to have to get involved unfortunately. This can't continue though 

I have never seen your ideas for how we fix housing. Care to contribute?

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Lots of possibilities.  The party that thought closing veterans offices and Coast Guard facilities was a good idea have no bottom to how far they can go.

I don't dispute that the possibilities are plenty.  In fact, I'm agreeing with you here.

The point I'm making though is that I believe their leadership figures has nfc what it is they will be doing should they find themselves in government - ie. they have no plan to elucidate, because they have no plan, period.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Well increasing inventory isn't happening at a fast enough rate due to cost of building and a bunch of other red tape bullshit. They could cut the record amounts of immigration which have completely strained all our services. That would slow the bleeding while they very slowly build more. Government is probably going to have to get involved unfortunately. This can't continue though 

Well, I don't see how conservative governments will cut the cost of building.  The red tape bs is largely a provincial/municipal problem.  And most of our provinces have conservative governments.  So again, not a JT problem.  As for the immigration thing, there has been movement in that area as well.  Thing is, you want a good economy, then immigration is going to be needed with our low birth rate, right??

And again, immigration is a symptom of long standing problems.  The causes being decades in the making.  Governments from BOTH sides of the isle.  I'm sick of immigrants being blamed for decades of mismanagement.  Decades of governments kicking the can.  

But somehow it's all JT's fault and we need to elect the CONS.  LOL.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I don't dispute that the possibilities are plenty.  In fact, I'm agreeing with you here.

The point I'm making though is that I believe their leadership figures has nfc what it is they will be doing should they find themselves in government - ie. they have no plan to elucidate, because they have no plan, period.

I agree.  I was just suggesting one mode of CONservative profit in their scheme to "change" things.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Well, I don't see how conservative governments will cut the cost of building.  The red tape bs is largely a provincial/municipal problem.  And most of our provinces have conservative governments.  So again, not a JT problem.  As for the immigration thing, there has been movement in that area as well.  Thing is, you want a good economy, then immigration is going to be needed with our low birth rate, right??

And again, immigration is a symptom of long standing problems.  The causes being decades in the making.  Governments from BOTH sides of the isle.  I'm sick of immigrants being blamed for decades of mismanagement.  Decades of governments kicking the can.  

But somehow it's all JT's fault and we need to elect the CONS.  LOL.

And yet the federal government is putting in policy's to force the municipalitys to build. So clearly there's a means to get shit done.

You want enough immigration to offset the workforce leaving the economy. That is absolutely not the type of immigration we have going on currently. And nobody is blaming the immigrants them selves for the billionth time. Shitty policy's are absolutely the problem or like you said they wouldn't be back tracking on some of them.

His party, his policy's, so therefore his problem 

• Cheers 1

Hundreds of rejections a 'hard reality' for high school students looking for summer jobs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/hundreds-of-rejections-a-hard-reality-for-high-school-students-looking-for-summer-jobs-1.7252306

Young people between ages of 15 to 24 struggling the most with finding jobs, Stats Can says

According to a report by Statistics Canada, the current unemployment rate between ages 15 to 24 is at 12.8 per cent as of April 2024, which is the highest rate since July 2016, excluding pandemic years 2020 and 2021.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Hundreds of rejections a 'hard reality' for high school students looking for summer jobs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/hundreds-of-rejections-a-hard-reality-for-high-school-students-looking-for-summer-jobs-1.7252306

Young people between ages of 15 to 24 struggling the most with finding jobs, Stats Can says

According to a report by Statistics Canada, the current unemployment rate between ages 15 to 24 is at 12.8 per cent as of April 2024, which is the highest rate since July 2016, excluding pandemic years 2020 and 2021.

How is this political? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

C'mon Jimmy... stick with the program!  It's all about duh rage!!

wont-somebody-please-think-of-the-childr

You even mention PP in this thread and it's nothing but rage. That's pretty ironic to me to say the least 

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Forcing universitites to build more residences as a condition for funding, and building more military housing would definitely help and is actually within Federal jurisdiction.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

building more military housing would definitely help and is actually within Federal jurisdiction.

Properly subsidized military housing might even bring about the side effect of increasing enrolment in the military, bolstering numbers there too.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Forcing universitites to build more residences as a condition for funding, and building more military housing would definitely help and is actually within Federal jurisdiction.

I agree 

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Properly subsidized military housing might even bring about the side effect of increasing enrolment in the military, bolstering numbers there too.

I'd argue that would be the main benefit, and the easing on the housing market would be a happy side effect.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

And yet the federal government is putting in policy's to force the municipalitys to build. So clearly there's a means to get shit done.

You want enough immigration to offset the workforce leaving the economy. That is absolutely not the type of immigration we have going on currently. And nobody is blaming the immigrants them selves for the billionth time. Shitty policy's are absolutely the problem or like you said they wouldn't be back tracking on some of them.

His party, his policy's, so therefore his problem 

And yet in August/22 Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario all wanted the Feds to increase their share of immigrants for 2023. Clearly these provinces haven’t connected the dots from immigration to the housing problem in the same way as you, Petey and others are making here.

Ironically all conservative governments so I guess you could say “their parties, their policies,  so therefore their problems.”

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

And yet in August/22 Saskatchewan, Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario all wanted the Feds to increase their share of immigrants for 2023. Clearly these provinces haven’t connected the dots from immigration to the housing problem in the same way as you, Petey and others are making here.

Ironically all conservative governments so I guess you could say “their parties, their policies,  so therefore their problems.”

She's not asking for more immigration... She's asking for more of an allotment of what's coming in

Smith said the limit does not make economic sense, given that Alberta has 12 per cent of the population but leads the nation in net employment growth.

"Alberta continues to be the economic engine of Canada," wrote Smith.

"The decision on Alberta's 2024 allocations represents a reversal of previous commitments by the federal government, and negatively impacts Alberta's ability to grow and diversify its economy."

Edited by Ricky Ravioli
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

She's not asking for more immigration... She's asking for more of an allotment of what's coming in

Smith said the limit does not make economic sense, given that Alberta has 12 per cent of the population but leads the nation in net employment growth.

"Alberta continues to be the economic engine of Canada," wrote Smith.

"The decision on Alberta's 2024 allocations represents a reversal of previous commitments by the federal government, and negatively impacts Alberta's ability to grow and diversify its economy."

More of the allotment means more immigrants. She also wants her choice of immigrants. Guess what…more immigrants still require housing no matter “which” immigrants she chooses. And yet you don’t blame any of immigrant numbers on any conservative premiers, just the liberal government. If you want to tie immigration to housing at least recognize the pressures being applied by the provinces to keep the numbers up.

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

More of the allotment means more immigrants. She also wants her choice of immigrants. Guess what…more immigrants still require housing no matter “which” immigrants she chooses. And yet you don’t blame any of immigrant numbers on any conservative premiers, just the liberal government. If you want to tie immigration to housing at least recognize the pressures being applied by the provinces to keep the numbers up.

No body is arguing against sensible immigration. She isn't asking for the flood gates to be opened. She's asking for a higher allotment to her province. There's clearly political games being played between the federal liberals and the ucp

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

No body is arguing against sensible immigration. She isn't asking for the flood gates to be opened. She's asking for a higher allotment to her province. There's clearly political games being played between the federal liberals and the ucp

Don’t skip over Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario. Each of those provinces is asking for more than they are currently getting. How does “more” factor into your theory that immigrants are a major contributor to the housing crises? You can’t blame Trudeau and then gloss over premiers asking for increased numbers.

Edited by 4petesake

6 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Don’t skip over Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario. Each of those provinces is asking for more than they are currently getting. How does “more” factor into your theory that immigrants are a major contributor to the housing crises? You can’t blame Trudeau and then gloss over premiers asking for increased numbers.

The only thing I can see on Saskatchewan is wanting to up from 6000 to 8500 in 2025..

And I can't find anything on Manitoba, so maybe you can help me there

20 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

The only thing I can see on Saskatchewan is wanting to up from 6000 to 8500 in 2025..

And I can't find anything on Manitoba, so maybe you can help me there

This from 2022 when the request was made for 2023.

Manitoba failed in its efforts to welcome thousands of potential newcomers last year, but the federal government is giving the province another chance to approve the same number of skilled immigrants through the provincial nominee program. 

The province will be able to issue 9,500 nominations in a year, which would be a record number if achieved. 

Manitoba's previous Progressive Conservative government successfully lobbied Ottawa to increase the province's allotment from 6,325 nominees in 2022 to 9,500 nominees in 2023 to address labour shortages, but the province failed to process about 2,000 applications in time.

In terms of numbers, the province is bound by "limited allocations" controlled by the federal government, Reyes said, noting about 65 per cent of immigrants who come to Manitoba do so through the provincial nominee program. According to Statistics Canada, about 75 per cent of Manitoba nominees remained in the province five years later.

The program ceiling was set at 6,367 in 2022, up from 6,275 in 2021, according to the report. 

Reyes said he's asked officials with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to increase Manitoba's annual immigration allocation in the range of 10,000 or more. 

Ontario’s Doug Ford 2022 -

But Ford is also highlighting labour issues in a statement about his priorities for the meeting, saying more skilled workers are needed to address a “historic labour shortage.”

“I know the other premiers agree that provinces can’t do this alone,” Ford said in a statement. “We need the federal government to work with us to tackle the labour shortfall to help ensure our economy remains strong during these challenging times.”

Ontario’s immigration agreement with the federal government expires in the fall and the province is pushing for a higher number of skilled workers and more flexibility on the types of workers it can attract.