Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/in-groundbreaking-move-poilievre-campaigns-among-evangelical-christians/ar-BB1psDIE?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f7df20bdc15b45c38c66f292301a1b21&ei=53

"BB1psBqi.img?w=534&h=412&m=6&x=601&y=117

"

Opposition leader Pierre Poilievre went to church last Sunday, not once, not twice, but three times  -- to three evangelical churches in the Toronto area where he briefly participated in the services, made a short political speech and moved on.

The three churches are all in ridings held by Liberal MPs and the congregants are mostly members of ethnic minority communities, which makes these visits smart politics for a campaigning Conservative leader.

-----------------------------

lots more at link.

• ThereItIs 1
  • chaos 1

5 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Hundreds of rejections a 'hard reality' for high school students looking for summer jobs

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/hundreds-of-rejections-a-hard-reality-for-high-school-students-looking-for-summer-jobs-1.7252306

Young people between ages of 15 to 24 struggling the most with finding jobs, Stats Can says

According to a report by Statistics Canada, the current unemployment rate between ages 15 to 24 is at 12.8 per cent as of April 2024, which is the highest rate since July 2016, excluding pandemic years 2020 and 2021.

Why are so many young people unemployed?  I thought our unemployment rate was at an all time low?  Where are all of the jobs for these people?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/in-groundbreaking-move-poilievre-campaigns-among-evangelical-christians/ar-BB1psDIE?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=f7df20bdc15b45c38c66f292301a1b21&ei=53

"

Opposition leader Pierre Poilievre went to church last Sunday, not once, not twice, but three times  -- to three evangelical churches in the Toronto area where he briefly participated in the services, made a short political speech and moved on.

The three churches are all in ridings held by Liberal MPs and the congregants are mostly members of ethnic minority communities, which makes these visits smart politics for a campaigning Conservative leader.

lots more at link.

Oh Goody, evangelicals.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Eliminating short term rentals was supposed to fix this problem. Turns out it didn’t help at all. 

No one suggested it would completely fix the problem.  The reality is that a few different solutions will need to be implemented; eliminating airbnb was simply one of them.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why are so many young people unemployed?  I thought our unemployment rate was at an all time low?  Where are all of the jobs for these people?

Young people are unemployed because they lack focus, drive, ambition, common sense, self motivation among other things.  Now, this of course isn’t all, but the vast majority of unemployed younger generations check too many of the above boxes.  Another talking point that in the real world of business doesn’t hold up. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Rook said:

Young people are unemployed because they lack focus, drive, ambition, common sense, self motivation among other things.  Now, this of course isn’t all, but the vast majority of unemployed younger generations check too many of the above boxes.  Another talking point that in the real world of business doesn’t hold up. 

The above reeks of boomer entitlement, if I ever heard one. I'm a millenial, so I actually understand (and in some cases agree) with the complaints that boomers have about the so-called younger generation. But interestingly, the millenials are the bridge between the boomers and the gen Xs. Thus from my own perspective, your comment is total bullshit. Not saying you're a liar. I'm saying your comment is overly simplistic.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

The above reeks of boomer entitlement, if I ever heard one. I'm a millenial, so I actually understand (and in some cases agree) with the complaints that boomers have about the so-called younger generation. But interestingly, the millenials are the bridge between the boomers and the gen Xs. Thus from my own perspective, your comment is total bullshit. Not saying you're a liar. I'm saying your comment is overly simplistic.

Not a boomer there bud, but actually a millennial myself, the hardworking type that grew up working his tail of to make

It. But you go on, pretend like you know what you speak of

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Rook said:

Not a boomer there bud, but actually a millennial myself, the hardworking type that grew up working his tail of to make

It. But you go on, pretend like you know what you speak of

Lol. I do find it ironic that if you claim to be who you are, you have essentially become boomer 2.0. Every generation will talk about how "they work hard" (I work hard myself and I'm gainfully employed. Zero sick days.). Like I said, I agree with some of the things that the boomers used to preach, i.e. respect to elders, treat others the way you want to be treated, being courteous and humble, etc. But then other boomers largely proceed to shit on the next generation, just like you're doing. Just an observation that 'we' (as millenials) are now saying the same shit as the previous gens. I guess some of us haven't learned, have we?

Just because we were treated like shit before doesn't mean we can do the same things.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Haha 1
  • Wiener 1

8 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

I think we can all agree, the boomers screwed things up for all us.

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

"

lots more at link.

Go to campaign in a church and mentions "pronouns."

Oh but don't say PP is aligned with the US alt right evangelicals 

This hateful cult is the last thing we need in the PMO. Harper was smart enough to try to hide it, PP is open about, which should be a big concern for anyone else who doesn't want to combine church and state.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

This hateful cult is the last thing we need in the PMO. Harper was smart enough to try to hide it, PP is open about, which should be a big concern for anyone else who doesn't want to combine church and state.

I've seen politicians doing speeches at churches before, and it annoyed me  then--but what sticks out here is churches in one day.

I don't care where people/a person goes to church-other than it seems like a silly way to waste time; however  political speeches at church should be illegal.

It is very important to keep these entities separate.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Gurn said:

I've seen politicians doing speeches at churches before, and it annoyed me  then--but what sticks out here is churches in one day.

I don't care where people/a person goes to church-other than it seems like a silly way to waste time; however  political speeches at church should be illegal.

It is very important to keep these entities separate.

It's a clear message that he supports the evangelical cult.

Skippy borrows his entire strategy from the US alt right, it should be very concerning for most Canadians. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, how I see it, this iteration of the Conservatives is dangerous. In the age of good political leaders, PP would never have seen the light of day. He would've been written off as a fringe candidate.

Harper was super cozy with China, which was problematic in itself. But it's ALSO problematic that Harper has been grooming PP up until this time.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, PureQuickness said:

Yeah, how I see it, this iteration of the Conservatives is dangerous. In the age of good political leaders, PP would never have seen the light of day. He would've been written off as a fringe candidate.

Harper was super cozy with China, which was problematic in itself. But it's ALSO problematic that Harper has been grooming PP up until this time.

He's Harper's boy, theres no doubt.

Skippy is setting the table for a lot of big changes to Canada. 

People worry, rightly, about Canada getting steamrolled by the US on many issues, but Skippy is going to open the door for the US christian right and whatever other weirdo conspiracy group throws him a vote.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He's Harper's boy, theres no doubt.

Skippy is setting the table for a lot of big changes to Canada. 

People worry, rightly, about Canada getting steamrolled by the US on many issues, but Skippy is going to open the door for the US christian right and whatever other weirdo conspiracy group throws him a vote.

You are being ridiculous.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

You are being ridiculous.

Do I need to prove it again? We have shown in this thread over and over how Skippy follows the US right messaging, are you actually denying that?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I find it ridiculous to believe in a 'God' but to each their own. To force/influence their ways on others from their tax-free cult is a different thing

So, what I find really ridiculous is the lack of concern over the narrowing gap between church and state. In our country and the one to the south. 

The issue with the north american evangelicals is they feel entitled to make their beliefs law.

We've seen the power they bring as a voting block in the US, and imo it's the most toxic thing to happen to US politics in decades.

It's brought the world trump, a pathological egomaniac into power once and probably will again.

But hey when Ukraine loses 1/3 of its territory when trump concedes to Putin,  Jesus will make it all better. 

This is the group Skippy panders to. 

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

FB_IMG_1720147753948.jpg

Guess we know where all the pro conservative funding/messaging is coming from...

News flash low and middle class Canadians that are flocking to said messaging, they have no plans to help YOU.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

The fear mongering and open disdain towards anyone religious is getting silly.

It is OK to question whether PP possible policy will hurt Canada. To slag Christians for having an opinion, basically disenfranchising their concerns, is no different than what happens to other minorities. Yes, Christians are a minority today, Suggesting they have a overweighted influence in conservative politics is a somewhat crude effort to discredit the conservative movement. Progressives are desperately trying to find issues to campaign on. Associating PP with the American right is somewhat laughable when USA Dems actively campaigned for Trudeau. Clinton immediately comes to mind. 

The USA has always used Canada both politically and as a store house for cheap resources. Trump screwed Canada with NAFTA 2 and Biden doubled down canceling Keystone XL. Harper had Canada on the way to being a world energy powerhouse. The Americans, Russians and Saudis all feared that for different reasons. I called Jimmy’s post ridiculous because he is being uber political with no basis. He is suggesting Canadian conservatives do not realize the threat the USA represents to Canadian interests. I don’t blame the Americans because they act in their self interest. It is not up to them to have Canada defend their interests. 

Instead of this crap the CPP should have their possible policy directions questioned. I expect a PP government to expand the Canadian energy industry in a massive way. Why? His government will have few options. The country has a massive debt to finance. Energy exports can be financed outside of government, will stabilize the Canadian currency and will provide tax revenue for ongoing budget demands. The investment risk using this avenue is much less than the longer term granting of tax dollars to the EV battery investment. These are long term decisions which will determine the relative prosperity of Canada in the future. If conservatism cannot defend Canadian self interests then they should not rule. What is clear today is that this Liberal government has failed miserably in this department.

• Cheers 3