Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Lol. I do find it ironic that if you claim to be who you are, you have essentially become boomer 2.0. Every generation will talk about how "they work hard" (I work hard myself and I'm gainfully employed. Zero sick days.). Like I said, I agree with some of the things that the boomers used to preach, i.e. respect to elders, treat others the way you want to be treated, being courteous and humble, etc. But then other boomers largely proceed to shit on the next generation, just like you're doing. Just an observation that 'we' (as millenials) are now saying the same shit as the previous gens. I guess some of us haven't learned, have we?

Just because we were treated like shit before doesn't mean we can do the same things.

Stating facts isn’t crapping ima generation 😂 you must be one of those over sensitive millennials.  There are a ton of jobs out there, now to just get people to work for a living instead of wanting things handed to them. I’m am an older millennial so in know what it used to be like, kids are spoiled h ty see days and that’s why I raised mine to know the value of hard work. And to not snowflake their way through life

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Let's say Trudeau woke up this morning and said, you know what, Canadian laws need a little more Islamic in them.

You'd be ok with that?

No one cares what anyone's personal beliefs are, we care when they try to make it law.

You are fear mongering. I assume for political purposes. Your concerns don’t have much basis in the conservative circles I see. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

The fear mongering and open disdain towards anyone religious is getting silly.

The US Christian right does not represent all Christians. Let's get that part out of the way. And they have a real political agenda to blur the lines of separation of church and state.

Edited by DSVII
  • Vintage 3

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Let's say Trudeau woke up this morning and said, you know what, Canadian laws need a little more Islamic in them.

You'd be ok with that?

No one cares what anyone's personal beliefs are, we care when they try to make it law.

Yeah because Islamic Sharia law is so similar....

Weird the silence of Islamists stopping pride parades and the massacres around the world.  

Not surprised that Bob is wedging divide and being a champion of virtue signalling.  

Edited by bolt

11 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

The above reeks of boomer entitlement, if I ever heard one. I'm a millenial, so I actually understand (and in some cases agree) with the complaints that boomers have about the so-called younger generation. But interestingly, the millenials are the bridge between the boomers and the gen Xs. Thus from my own perspective, your comment is total bullshit. Not saying you're a liar. I'm saying your comment is overly simplistic.

I am a Boomer, although it always feels weird calling myself that. As I was growing up, Boomers were the kids born in the aftermath of WWII, so basically, kids born in the 50's. I came 10 years later, in '61.....

Anyway, from my perspective I can see how there could be different levels of employment insecurity for different demographics. We all heard about the "Great Retirement" post-Covid, as older workers who were nearing retirement age, decided to pull the pin early, rather than return to the office, mill, factory, or what have you.

This loss of older workers created a need, but for the most part, it was a need for skilled, experienced workers. It wouldn't have moved the needle much (if at all) in the service or hospitality industries....What has happened with these industries is that a "buyers' market" has been created and employers are asking for experience, which of course, a high school graduate may not have....

One comment on the above: When I was in high school, I worked at various jobs, every summer from grade 9 on. I don't know if today's students have gotten away from that trend, but it was the norm when I was a high school student and when we graduated, we already had work experience. That being said, I acknowledge that it might be more difficult for today's students to find summer jobs. I just wonder if it is the "normal" thing to do, as it was in my day....:classic_unsure:

I've mentioned before that I work at a small college and a big part of our enrollment is International students. (Mostly from India) The fact is, these are exactly the types of jobs these students are taking when they arrive, so it would be disingenuous to say that they have had zero impact on the ability of younger Canadians getting into entry level jobs. The thing is, these International students are a huge benefit to the Canadian economy....what we need to do is to find a balance.

Easy to say, but far more complicated to actually do....but it does seem like we're trying....

I will say, a young person looking for an entry level position at say the local Wal-Mart or Safeway in my small town on the North Coast would have little trouble doing so, even though there are a lot of our students already working in those places. Sometimes, the problem is as much where you are looking, as it is what you are looking for....

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think we can all agree, the boomers screwed things up for all us.

Sorry, no......I don't think I can agree with that at all.....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I find it ridiculous to believe in a 'God' but to each their own. To force/influence their ways on others from their tax-free cult is a different thing

So, what I find really ridiculous is the lack of concern over the narrowing gap between church and state. In our country and the one to the south. 

Oh look, Bishop! You got a "confused" emoji from MM....:classic_rolleyes:

If there's better proof that a post on these boards is bang on, I don't know what it is....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Re Pierre and his church visits.

I have zero issue with anyone of faith so long as they leave it in their private life.  To his credit, after he took power Pierre's visible faith promotion went silent or at least was pushed in to he private life.  Trudeau as a Catholic changed his mind/stance on certain things as well.

But, and this is the thing.  Unlike Harper who capably kept his beliefs quiet and out of office; Pierre has openly voted his faith based positions numerous times as an MP.  Making comments about very clear things and his voting history shows the same.  While again, he has silenced or sublimated these actions in to his political life over the past number of years, the history is there.

This is concerning regarding this trio of visits due to the influx and vocalization of the social Conservative MPs in the caucus.  The evangelical movement in the US and Canada has recently over the past 15 or so years gotten EXTREMELY active in politics.  Across Canada recently we saw it in the attempt to put thousands of candidates across the nation in to school boards and municipal councils via local elections.  While it did not work per say they did see some level of success.

See Chilliwack school board for reference.

So the concern with Pierre making himself visible at these three churches and making the comments he did; with the increase of social conservative voices in the party, with the increase of political activities from Evangelical groups in municipal and federal level politics and Pierre's voting records.  We have some cause to be wary as voters.

When we then look at all of the above and the now, all but open; control the evangelical voice has in and over the US GOP and GOP policies; a Trump return presidency is a very real thing.  That potential event coupled with what is appearing to be a Conservative majority in Canada with a growing evangelical voice and now Pierre's visits to churches of that nature, with congregations that actively pushed entrants in to local school board and municipal elections has me sincerely wondering if Pierre can or would control that social voice within his party.

Former PM Harper once said that a party leader was at fault for the actions of their MPs as well as saying motions brought up by them are invariably party doctrine.  With a louder growing voice we now have to wonder

Is Pierre merely pandering to that base?

Is Pierre Now so secure in his potential win that he won't hide it anymore?

Does this base have any level of say or control over a potential Conservative platform?

Just Saturday morning musings to ponder

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You...don't see the similarities cropping up between the Evangelical movements and aspects of Sharia Law?

Really?

There's ZERO question if the promotion of Islamist beliefs was pushed by the government as hard and fast as Evangelical beliefs were that people would be up in arms and furious.  ironically, this anger would happen as Islamist beliefs would actually be so similar to evangelical beliefs effectively meaning that the same laws or restrictive laws would be enacted.  Just under a different set of rules

My bad, Islamic sharia law is so inclusive and welcoming.  

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Re Pierre and his church visits.

I have zero issue with anyone of faith so long as they leave it in their private life. 

What if the LGBQ movement was deemed as a religion?  

1 hour ago, bolt said:

Weird the silence of Islamists stopping pride parades and the massacres around the world.  

Not surprised that Bob is wedging divide and being a champion of virtue signalling.  

It's pretty damn similar to the barbaric beliefs Poilivre wants to inflict on the rest of us.

2 hours ago, Rook said:

Stating facts isn’t crapping ima generation 😂 you must be one of those over sensitive millennials.  There are a ton of jobs out there, now to just get people to work for a living instead of wanting things handed to them. I’m am an older millennial so in know what it used to be like, kids are spoiled h ty see days and that’s why I raised mine to know the value of hard work. And to not snowflake their way through life

Hilarious that you try and lecture me about 'knowing what you're talking about', but you got me all wrong. I'm NOT one of those oversensitive millenials. I feel very privileged that I have seen different sides of people, including the so-called "snowflake" perspectives. I don't agree with coddling, but there's also no need to be an asshole.

"Stating facts" is not what you're doing. Facts are not disputable. To broadly denigrate the next generation by saying they are 'lazy' is what a lot of boomers used to say about us millenials. 

It's a little bit funny that you don't see the inherent hypocrisy.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

I am a Boomer, although it always feels weird calling myself that. As I was growing up, Boomers were the kids born in the aftermath of WWII, so basically, kids born in the 50's. I came 10 years later, in '61.....

Anyway, from my perspective I can see how there could be different levels of employment insecurity for different demographics. We all heard about the "Great Retirement" post-Covid, as older workers who were nearing retirement age, decided to pull the pin early, rather than return to the office, mill, factory, or what have you.

This loss of older workers created a need, but for the most part, it was a need for skilled, experienced workers. It wouldn't have moved the needle much (if at all) in the service or hospitality industries....What has happened with these industries is that a "buyers' market" has been created and employers are asking for experience, which of course, a high school graduate may not have....

One comment on the above: When I was in high school, I worked at various jobs, every summer from grade 9 on. I don't know if today's students have gotten away from that trend, but it was the norm when I was a high school student and when we graduated, we already had work experience. That being said, I acknowledge that it might be more difficult for today's students to find summer jobs. I just wonder if it is the "normal" thing to do, as it was in my day....:classic_unsure:

I've mentioned before that I work at a small college and a big part of our enrollment is International students. (Mostly from India) The fact is, these are exactly the types of jobs these students are taking when they arrive, so it would be disingenuous to say that they have had zero impact on the ability of younger Canadians getting into entry level jobs. The thing is, these International students are a huge benefit to the Canadian economy....what we need to do is to find a balance.

Easy to say, but far more complicated to actually do....but it does seem like we're trying....

I will say, a young person looking for an entry level position at say the local Wal-Mart or Safeway in my small town on the North Coast would have little trouble doing so, even though there are a lot of our students already working in those places. Sometimes, the problem is as much where you are looking, as it is what you are looking for....

If my comment was offensive in any way to you as a group of people, I apologize; I certainly do not mean it in any 'negative' way. I admit that it's much easier to broadly generalize people than it is to understand people as they are, regardless of their backgrounds.

I think the argument that people level against the 'boomers' is the apparent assumption that life was 'easier'. They see money without understanding inflation and understanding the way of life. They hear stories about people buying a house and a car and then prospering from that investment, so there's some sort of jealousy involved.

In your example of the Indian students being hired for jobs, I am simply hearing from the disgruntled part of society a variation of "DEY TUK OUR JERBS". The students are often hired by the same employers (despite the fact that they are probably paid like crap). That same disillusioned group seem to gloss over the fact that the international students ARE trying to do what they're doing to survive - and it's a bit ironic and hypocritical that they are also getting shamed for being here.

And I agree, there needs to be a balance. I truly understand that we may have taken on more than we could chew. Canada is simply not set up to help the entire world. We still have tremendous amount of poverty throughout the country, including homelessness and there's no shortage of drug issues. We need to stop shipping money overseas because money by itself is not enough to fix things. We NEED the money, just as much as anyone else does, despite the fact that we are generally well-off compared to the rest of the world.

I've seen plenty of young people take on jobs - but I don't hear enough praise from posters like the one I had been replying to. In fact, there's this weird expectation that they should be working and that if they're not making money, they're "lazy". There's lots of young people making money through influencing too. And though that's not my cup of tea, I'm SURE there will be no shortage of complaints about how they're not generating anything useful to society.

I consider myself a pretty straight shooter and I'm willing to be open-minded. I just don't think it's fair to label any group of people as "lazy". It's simple not true at all. I remember when some boomers called us millennials lazy because we are benefitting from 'their' hard work. In some cases, this may be true, but not all.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

If my comment was offensive in any way to you as a group of people, I apologize; I certainly do not mean it in any 'negative' way. I admit that it's much easier to broadly generalize people than it is to understand people as they are, regardless of their backgrounds.

I think the argument that people level against the 'boomers' is the apparent assumption that life was 'easier'. They see money without understanding inflation and understanding the way of life. They hear stories about people buying a house and a car and then prospering from that investment, so there's some sort of jealousy involved.

In your example of the Indian students being hired for jobs, I am simply hearing from the disgruntled part of society a variation of "DEY TUK OUR JERBS". The students are often hired by the same employers (despite the fact that they are probably paid like crap). That same disillusioned group seem to gloss over the fact that the international students ARE trying to do what they're doing to survive - and it's a bit ironic and hypocritical that they are also getting shamed for being here.

And I agree, there needs to be a balance. I truly understand that we may have taken on more than we could chew. Canada is simply not set up to help the entire world. We still have tremendous amount of poverty throughout the country, including homelessness and there's no shortage of drug issues.

I've seen plenty of young people take on jobs - but I don't hear enough praise from posters like the one I had been replying to. In fact, there's this weird "expectation" that they 'should' be working and that if they're not making money, they're "lazy". There's lots of young people making money through influencing too. And though that's not my cup of tea, I'm SURE there will be no shortage of complaints about how they're not generating anything useful to society.

I consider myself a pretty straight shooter and I'm willing to be open-minded. I just don't think it's fair to label any group of people as "lazy". It's simple not true at all. I remember when some boomers called us millennials lazy because we are benefitting from 'their' hard work. In some cases, this may be true, but not all.

I wasn't offended by your post. I was just pointing out which demographic I belong to...

Bob's comment was the one I found insulting.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

The baby boomers literally built this country into what it is today.  Shitting on baby boomers is pretty low class and shows a sense of entitlement from the younger generations.  I'm not a baby boomer but I am closer to being one than a millennial.  

Baby boomers aren't responsible for the housing crisis.  You can blame all levels of government for the past 30+ years for this tragedy...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

You are fear mongering. I assume for political purposes. Your concerns don’t have much basis in the conservative circles I see. 

That's because you are in con circles.

2 hours ago, bolt said:

From someone who's spent his entire adult life raging about the Trudeau family I'll take this as a compliment.

• Haha 1