Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Skippy: visits some churches 

Bob: PP is going to take away abortion rights for women!!!  

If he visited the small town church at their community picnic that was feeding anyone and everyone ... I'd be ok with that 

Visiting a group that under the screen of calling themselves a church but are pushing for politicians to force their view and morals on everyone .... Really I'm surprised you don't see the problem with that

Evangelical churches are not Christian churches. They are tax payer subsidized clubs that push influence for their votes on a few right wing leaning moral beliefs. These same groups don't give a shit about the whole love your neighbor and feed the poor ... They appose rights for others and anything that might cost them a dime.  Their ok selling cakes to mass murders and sex offenders but not to a gay couple..... That's where they draw the line 

PP feels right at home with them as he shares their views. This is following the same pattern that Trump followed to put the fake churches demands ahead of the rights of the people and folks have every right to believe PP is going down that same path 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Gurn said:

Good question, given the Roman catholic god, and their 'holiest guru', the pope, is anti abortion.

You don't say. I wonder how a true believer squares that circle with pro choice?

Edited by Bob Long

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You don't say. I wonder how a true believer squares that circle with pro choice?

Fuck sometimes this thread feels like elementary school. Really?  You don’t think a Roman Catholic can believe in a women’s rights while also believing in the Christian faith?  Are you and some other posters really that out of touch with reality?  Do you even have a clue what goes on in the Roman Catholic diocese?  

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fuck sometimes this thread feels like elementary school. Really?  You don’t think a Roman Catholic can believe in a women’s rights while also believing in the Christian faith?  Are you and some other posters really that out of touch with reality?  Do you even have a clue what goes on in the Roman Catholic diocese?  

Grew up in that church, so yes I know quite well how full of shit people in that church can be when they profess their beliefs.

Pass the plate, Bud. 

68% of US Catholics say Roe should be left alone, poll says

https://www.ncronline.org/news/68-us-catholics-say-roe-should-be-left-alone-poll-says

Religious views on abortion more diverse than they may appear in U.S. political debate

New research shows that though abortion restrictions are often championed by evangelical lawmakers and activists, other Christian denominations and Abrahamic faiths hold a variety of views on the issue

https://tennesseelookout.com/2024/05/08/religious-views-on-abortion-more-diverse-than-they-may-appear-in-u-s-political-debate/

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Grew up in that church, so yes I know quite well how full of shit people in that church can be when they profess their beliefs.

Pass the plate, Bud. 

The hardline stances of many conservative Catholic bishops in the U.S. are not shared by a majority of lay Catholics. Most of them say abortion should be legal, favor greater inclusion of LGBT people, and oppose the denial of Communion for politicians who support abortion rights, according to a new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

The poll, conducted in mid-May, shows a clear gap between the prevalent views of American Catholics and some recent high-profile actions taken by the church's leaders.

So, you were saying?

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

68% of US Catholics say Roe should be left alone, poll says

https://www.ncronline.org/news/68-us-catholics-say-roe-should-be-left-alone-poll-says

Religious views on abortion more diverse than they may appear in U.S. political debate

New research shows that though abortion restrictions are often championed by evangelical lawmakers and activists, other Christian denominations and Abrahamic faiths hold a variety of views on the issue

https://tennesseelookout.com/2024/05/08/religious-views-on-abortion-more-diverse-than-they-may-appear-in-u-s-political-debate/

Thanks for posting that.  I already knew this since literally every person I know who is a Roman Catholic believes in women's rights and the right for a woman to have an abortion, as well as the rights for the LGBTQ+ community.

The Catholic church now is not what it used to be.  Very few people are hard liners these days.  Maybe it doesn't make us good Catholics.  But from my perspective, the Catholic Church has been infiltrated with alot of bad people for centuries now.  And most Catholics have been turned off by that for a long time now.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Thanks for posting that.  I already knew this since literally every person I know who is a Roman Catholic believes in women's rights and the right for a woman to have an abortion, as well as the rights for the LBQTQ+ community.

The Catholic church now is not what it used to be.  Very few people are hard liners these days.  Maybe it doesn't make us good Catholics.  But from my perspective, the Catholic Church has been infiltrated with alot of bad people for centuries now.  And most Catholics have been turned off by that for a long time now.  

Well, I had to think twice before coming to your aid Petey. 🤣

I just thought the conversation was getting out of hand and I remembered a NYT article I'd  read recently.  I could not find it but I did find those.

Now, anybody who suggests posting the 10 commandments in our schools or the house of commons is not going to get the same support.

(BTW - I have never been a religious guy.  I'm a staunch disbeliever but I do believe in a persons right to choose what they believe in.)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Well, heck if religions are just going to make up their own rules, and not bother following their good book text, or the top guru; are they even religions, or more of a cult, or social club?

All the more reason to tax them I suppose.

Edited by Gurn
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Well, I had to think twice before coming to your aid Petey. 🤣

I just thought the conversation was getting out of hand and I remembered a NYT article I'd  read recently.  I could not find it but I did find those.

Now, anybody who suggests posting the 10 commandments in our schools or the house of commons is not going to get the same support.

(BTW - I have never been a religious guy.  I'm a staunch disbeliever but I do believe in a persons right to choose what they believe in.)

You can come to my aid any time my friend.  

When people say that Catholics want to infiltrate the government and want to force everyone to read the bible and have the 10 commandments in all schools, I just shake my head.  It's such an ignorant way to see things.  Most Catholics today don't even read the fucking bible, so why would we want to push that on the entire population?  

If Bob wants to talk about evangelicals and he wants to talk about them as the "radicals" and "hard liners", then that's fine.  I don't have a problem with that.  But don't just lump all Catholics and Christians together to make us all look like a bunch of radical whack jobs. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The hardline stances of many conservative Catholic bishops in the U.S. are not shared by a majority of lay Catholics. Most of them say abortion should be legal, favor greater inclusion of LGBT people, and oppose the denial of Communion for politicians who support abortion rights, according to a new poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

The poll, conducted in mid-May, shows a clear gap between the prevalent views of American Catholics and some recent high-profile actions taken by the church's leaders.

So, you were saying?

I think I was saying pass the plate.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You can come to my aid any time my friend.  

When people say that Catholics want to infiltrate the government and want to force everyone to read the bible and have the 10 commandments in all schools, I just shake my head.  It's such an ignorant way to see things.  Most Catholics today don't even read the fucking bible, so why would we want to push that on the entire population?  

If Bob wants to talk about evangelicals and he wants to talk about them as the "radicals" and "hard liners", then that's fine.  I don't have a problem with that.  But don't just lump all Catholics and Christians together to make us all look like a bunch of radical whack jobs. 

It's PP that is pandering to the evangelicals, remember? 

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's PP that is pandering to the evangelicals, remember? 

PP can pander to whoever he wants to get votes. Doesn’t change the fact that abortion rights will never be taken away from women. Which even PP himself said as much. 

A Conservative government led by Pierre Poilievre would not legislate on, nor use the notwithstanding clause, on abortion, his office says.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP can pander to whoever he wants to get votes. Doesn’t change the fact that abortion rights will never be taken away from women. Which even PP himself said as much. 

A Conservative government led by Pierre Poilievre would not legislate on, nor use the notwithstanding clause, on abortion, his office says.

Respectfully,

If elected our first mission will be electoral reform.  Then affordable housing.  We also will balance a budget asap

Just saying, politicians lie

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you were saying?

The issue is the same as that of conservatives and small c moderates.

The minority voices are dictating policy for the majority.  While most devout Catholics don't necessarily agree with some aspects of lgbtq lifestyles, abortion etc.  they won't raise the roof over it.

But

The minority evangelical voices that are dictating policy in the US and to an extent Canada with their grass roots campaigns for municipal level politics, are in fact speaking for the majority by influencing policy decisions.

That's the rub.  The squeakiest cog is getting the grease, the issue is it's a small cog getting the lions share of it

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1