Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

28 minutes ago, bolt said:

Via rail is a crown corporation, even if the price was $600 it would be more beneficial for all.  She should have travelled rail or by her car if she cared about climate leadership and emissions. Does travelling by air have more of less emissions compared to train or electric car?

You answered your own question it's different because of "librulz".  You would be livid if this was a conservative but you have bias.   Yet here we are you defending a failed incompetent party that is clearly unfit to lead the country.

Frankly, there are bigger issues to tackle than a travel bill that is $250k, like the $220M that the Ontario Conservative government is spending to opt out of a one year contract with LCBO so he could privatize liquor sales. At a time with housing, food and healthcare shortages, which every time Trudeau's name is brought up, makes me think that is important to you, why is this not more outrageous? That's 800 times the waste there.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-beer-wine-corner-stores-cost-taxpayers-1.7215839 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Dec 15, 2015 to Sept 11, 2019 JT, as Prime Minster had 184 of 338 seats- a majority of 30 seats.

This was the time--- he legalized/decriminalized weed, but did not deliver on electoral reform.

I'd much rather have electoral reform than legal weed. 

So he was supposed to unilaterally do it? I guess, but with no consensus on what form not sure it would have been accepted.

Assembly of First Nations receives settlement offer to finalize reform of child welfare

National chief calls it 'a fair offer that will benefit generations of children'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/child-welfare-reform-settlement-offer-1.7258306

The Assembly of First Nations has a draft settlement offer from the federal government to finalize long-term reform of First Nations child and family services, National Chief Cindy Woodhouse Nepinak announced Tuesday at the AFN's annual general assembly in Montreal.

"While this offer is under settlement privilege, I can tell you today that it is a very significant offer," said Woodhouse Nepinak. 

She said regional chiefs were given the details Tuesday morning to discuss with chiefs in their caucuses.

"It is a fair offer that will benefit generations of children," said Woodhouse Nepinak.

"Let's never lose sight of what this is all about. It's about our children, about our future. First Nations are in the best position to take care of our children."

The AFN held a session at the end of the day on Tuesday to discuss long-term reform and compensation, including details of the draft offer, but only chiefs and proxies were allowed to attend. All other assembly attendees were removed from the room.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So he was supposed to unilaterally do it? I guess, but with no consensus on what form not sure it would have been accepted.

So

So

So

So why not? If you have a majority you can use that, to at the very least have a referendum.

Also- given it was a 'party promise' people can't claim- "oh we didn't know that was a thing you wanted"

Edited by Gurn

16 minutes ago, Gurn said:

So

So

So

So why not? If you have a majority you can use that, to at the very least have a referendum.

Also- given it was a 'party promise' people can't claim- "oh we didn't know that was a thing you wanted"

Because it's a touchy subject out with the electorate. Remember BC voting it down? its not exactly the most popular thing to do. 

So by doing it alone, it just invites a lot of criticism and people may reject it if their particular political colour doesn't back it. 

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

From memory, which may be a bit off granted, having been pushing inside the party for election reform for years, had it gone to a referendum with no other party supporting Ranked Ballot, it would have garnered less than 40% popular support and was deemed too risky as it could kill the idea forever if it ended up being below even 30%. I recall the polling numbers at the time on ranked ballots being about 1/3 of voters give or take, at the height of the talks about which reform to go with. The NDP digging in on PROP REP is the real killer of the idea to reform our election method. Again just off the top of my head from memory, to answer the question. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

She could travel privately by a 747 between Toronto and Ottawa and you would still have an excuse for them.  

"It's what your camp does"  

Here's the amusing thing.

Literally nowhere can you find me making an excuse for her 

Go ahead, try

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bolt said:

I wasn't aware that MP was a climate ambassador.  

Pretty sad your only defense of Liberals is now the what abouts of obscure back benchers.  

Liberals are falling in the polls because they can't lead.  Do as I say not as I do must be a very effective slogan for you.

Pretty sad that you sit and decry the current government for waste and corruption but then dismiss the very fact that someone is showing an individual in your camp committing to the same excesses on a far larger scale 

We call that hypocrisy and partisan in the real world

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Tell us how we are to participate in our society, advocating for change, without using technology that is available to us.

Travel is part of her job.  There is no magic device that she had that avoids use of travel modes that exist.  Airplanes, trains, long distance vehicular travel is going to use fossil fuels.  We have yet to get to the point where we can avoid it.  

If your complaint is fiscal, my point is her spending is a drop in the bucket compared to the spending that back benching MP's have been doing for years.

Your bitching is weak, and I think you should realize that.

She could have travelled cheaper.

IMG_1635.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

She could have travelled cheaper.

IMG_1635.jpeg

She could have travelled cheaper and climate-friendly:

white-donkey-with-a-cart-in-the-field.jp

but then our rabid raging right-wing reactionaries would have decried that this was a poor use of taxpayer money by reason of animal abuse. :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

She could have travelled cheaper and climate-friendly:

white-donkey-with-a-cart-in-the-field.jp

but then our rabid raging right-wing reactionaries would have decried that this was a poor use of taxpayer money by reason of animal abuse. :classic_rolleyes:

But the raging left reactionairies will say that's a lot of donkey farts which will contribute to climate change.  Clearly, first class airfare was the only option for her to attend pointless meetings to save the world from global boiling.

Edited by bolt

19 minutes ago, bolt said:

But the raging left reactionairies will say that's a lot of donkey farts which will contribute to climate change.  Clearly, first class airfare was the only option for her to attend pointless meetings to save the world from global boiling.

If you really care, we can shut down the oil sands tomorrow.

• Haha 1

Some of you are new here and may be a little confused so let me help you out. If someone who supports what is deemed a left leaning cause does anything that can be construed as hypocritical or detrimental to that cause, by even the loosest of definitions, then that renders the entire cause bullshit and you're all stoopid libtards for believing in it. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, DSVII said:

Frankly, there are bigger issues to tackle than a travel bill that is $250k, like the $220M that the Ontario Conservative government is spending to opt out of a one year contract with LCBO so he could privatize liquor sales. At a time with housing, food and healthcare shortages, which every time Trudeau's name is brought up, makes me think that is important to you, why is this not more outrageous? That's 800 times the waste there.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-beer-wine-corner-stores-cost-taxpayers-1.7215839 

Countless Liberal spending scandals and you pick a province most of us here don't even live in lol.   

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-armed-forces-military-nato-1.7258338

So PP has committed to ending the woke culture in the military and restore a warrior culture 

4 things have changed.

First was the grooming standards which have been reversed ( was silly to have changed )

Second was a get tough on sexual assault in the forces

Third was renaming a few ranks such as able Seaman to able sailor ( cause women can serve too )

Fourth was our first female chief if defence staff. Go Sappers!!!

So with only 3 items if the 4 changes left it only leaves PP calling the forces a woke culture for one of 2 reasons. Fighting sexual assaults and or including women.

Given that women have served for decades now in all roles within the military, and for over 2 decades gay soliders have and will continue to serve without issue .... What's left in his argument ?  Just the forces work to change the sexual assault culture ......

To be fair I don't suggest PP supports that .... It's just he has no platform or ideas of how to lead beyond  hate farming so calling everything Woke is not only his go to move .... It's all he has. And conservatives are eating it up without any thought to just how shallow and weak PP actually is as a leader 

And don't forget that PP has also said he will be passing a law that all new spending or tax revenue cuts MUST be matched with off setting cuts in the budget

He's promised big tax cuts and massive new military spending.

Under his law that would force the end of several social programs  with only OAS or free healthcare being big enough to cover that cost 

But sure by all means let's hear more of how it's someone else breaking Canada 

Edited by Sapper
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Poor Mick. He thought he was doing Justin a solid by mentioning his name. 

I was there! I figured Mick was just joking about Trudeau--surely he's not that out of touch with our politics?--but it could have been a real gaffe now that I think about it.

For the record: I didn't boo the Trudeau namedrop, but I did stop clapping.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, 112 said:

I was there! I figured Mick was just joking about Trudeau--surely he's not that out of touch with our politics?--but it could have been a real gaffe now that I think about it.

For the record: I didn't boo the Trudeau namedrop, but I did stop clapping.

there's some history there, maybe you're too young to remember. 

27 minutes ago, Sapper said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-armed-forces-military-nato-1.7258338

So PP has committed to ending the woke culture in the military and restore a warrior culture 

4 things have changed.

First was the grooming standards which have been reversed ( was silly to have changed )

Second was a get tough on sexual assault in the forces

Third was renaming a few ranks such as able Seaman to able sailor ( cause women can serve too )

Fourth was our first female chief if defence staff. Go Sappers!!!

So with only 3 items if the 4 changes left it only leaves PP calling the forces a woke culture for one of 2 reasons. Fighting sexual assaults and or including women.

Given that women have served for decades now in all roles within the military, and for over 2 decades gay soliders have and will continue to serve without issue .... What's left in his argument ?  Just the forces work to change the sexual assault culture ......

To be fair I don't suggest PP supports that .... It's just he has no platform or ideas of how to lead beyond  hate farming so calling everything Woke is not only his go to move .... It's all he has. And conservatives are eating it up without any thought to just how shallow and weak PP actually is as a leader 

And don't forget that PP has also said he will be passing a law that all new spending or tax revenue cuts MUST be matched with off setting cuts in the budget

He's promised big tax cuts and massive new military spending.

Under his law that would force the end of several social programs  with only OAS or free healthcare being big enough to cover that cost 

But sure by all means let's hear more of how it's someone else breaking Canada 

he actually said "woke to warrior"? Jose Christo. 

That must have really got him a bump with our northern gravy seals. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

there's some history there, maybe you're too young to remember. 

Probably; I'm 27. What's the history? Does it go back to Pierre?