Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

51 minutes ago, bolt said:

Countless Liberal spending scandals and you pick a province most of us here don't even live in lol.   

they're "countless" because you call every story you find a "scandal". 

But thats OK, we all know PP will not only approve every single federal contract of any kind, he'll spend his days auditing each and every job anyone gets. Thats the standard bolt expects. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Haha 1

All of this debate around should Justin stay or go has got me wondering if something more important is at stake in Canada than just the Liberal party outcome next year.

Are we at risk of losing a middle party for good? 

It feels to me like we are very much at risk of becoming a two party system (outside of Quebec). I'm sure the CPC would love the polarization but I don't think it's good for the country. I hope Trudeau steps down soon and we get someone in that can hang on to our multi-party approach, because even more polarization will not be good for us. 

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

All of this debate around should Justin stay or go has got me wondering if something more important is at stake in Canada than just the Liberal party outcome next year.

It feels to me like we are very much at risk of becoming a two party system (outside of Quebec). I'm sure the CPC would love the polarization but I don't think it's good for the country. I hope Trudeau steps down soon and we get someone in that can hang on to our multi-party approach, because even more polarization will not be good for us. 

It's much of the reason why - despite how you love to rip into the NDP - having them around (and also having them relevantly "strong") is important.  Traditionally, they fill the left-wing labour space, but I wouldn't put it past them (especially if the Liberals decide to infringe upon their political space to broaden their appeal) to push ideas to the right of the Liberals some day.

If one day, labour becomes an organized political force again (whether it's under the NDP or a different party), then you may see the Liberals fall back into that centrist middle-ground domain that draws from both right and left ideologies.  That's assuming they don't fall apart a la Ignatieff-style before then.

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Poor Mick. He thought he was doing Justin a solid by mentioning his name. 

Ooof, that was rough. Sophie used to play violin with Arcade Fire way back in the day, and was kind of an 'in' with the hipsterati in the music world, like The Tragically Hip, and apparently the Stones too, lol. PM JT was famously close friends with Gord Downie. I guess Mick here didn't get the memo about younger Canadians wanting to turn to the conservatives for change. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 112 said:

Probably; I'm 27. What's the history? Does it go back to Pierre?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

LOL. I have mentioned before that my mom was raised in her early childhood next door to the elder Trudeau, and later in life, after Margaret left and moved to BC the two were friendly when I was a kid on the Sunshine Coast. My mom was ultra conservative and proudly boasted to have never voted for her one time neighbour, Pierre. 
Before she passed away she voted 3 times for Justin Trudeau though! Go MOM, love ya. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's much of the reason why - despite how you love to rip into the NDP - having them around (and also having them relevantly "strong") is important.  Traditionally, they fill the left-wing labour space, but I wouldn't put it past them (especially if the Liberals decide to infringe upon their political space to broaden their appeal) to push ideas to the right of the Liberals some day.

I "rip into" the NDP because I don't think they deserve a pass just because they sometimes claim a higher moral ground. It's great to have principles, but someone has to create an actual plan to put things into action, which is where I see the NDP often fall short. 

Now if the NDP could actually fill that role of actionable ideas that can be put into practice, losing the middle might not be as bad. 

31 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If one day, labour becomes an organized political force again (whether it's under the NDP or a different party), then you may see the Liberals fall back into that centrist middle-ground domain that draws from both right and left ideologies.  That's assuming they don't fall apart a la Ignatieff-style before then.

Yeah, I don't know. I think if the Libs get destroyed this time Iggy-style, it's pretty much over for them. 

But.... maybe some old Libs with more experience in actual governing can shift over to a slightly more centre NDP, it could work out. Particularly if PP does the creepy stuff he's likely to do.

I could see a guy like Nenshi doing quite well in 4-8 years on a federal level.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

We are going to have three elections at the provincial level this year, all in October, that is within the next 100 days. 

BC's October 19th will likely see the NDP hold a majority government once again. 

New Brunswick's on the 21st where the conservatives are on the brink of losing power to the Liberals due to Blaine Higgs assault on women's rights, minority rights and general old angry white manishness. Susan Holt seems to be about to become the Premier there by simply standing still and letting Blaine be his misogynist anti-gay self. 

And finally Saskatchewan, where Moe, of the three former prairie stooges is facing an empowered and uprising NDP, where the current lead by the conservative Saskatchewan Party is a swing vote of 4.5% and a margin of error of 5%. Statistically a tie with the NDP support growing by the week. 

It is funny in a way that the Premiers offices are all moving left, even while federally the voters are indicating a shuffle to the right. 

OOOO edit: and i almost forgot Wab Kinew in Manitoba just won an NDP victory there and will be Premier for at least the next 4 to 5 years!!!

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I honestly don't know what the right answer is. Justin by all rights is pretty much "tainted" at this point and is quite arguably doing more harm than good to the party, staying on as PM at this point.

However, I also don't see anyone remotely viable with his charisma, as a replacement. They need someone that's more than just "competent" to replace him. "Competent" and "not Trudeau" isn't going to move the needle much/all.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

If the Liberals were a 'middle party' they wouldn't be in this situation.

And you don't know Nenshi very well, @Bob Long

I suspect Nenshi has a better than average shot at winning in May 2027, or earlier if things go weird for Premier Insane Clown Pu.... nah too easy.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I honestly don't know what the right answer is. Justin by all rights is pretty much "tainted" at this point and is quite arguably doing more harm than good to the party, staying on as PM at this point.

However, I also don't see anyone remotely viable with his charisma, as a replacement. They need someone that's more than just "competent" to replace him. "Competent" and "not Trudeau" isn't going to move the needle much/all.

At this point I'm thinking about not losing an entire federal party. 

PP doesn't have charisma, he has rage boners and one liners.

For me I think it's Carney, because economic credibility is still very much on the table. PP has no plans so that one is wide open.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Oh you know him personally? 

From dinner parties?

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I suspect Nenshi has a better than average shot at winning in May 2027, or earlier if things go weird for Premier Insane Clown Pu.... nah too easy.

In two years... maybe. Maybe. That might be enough time to rebuild himself in Alberta, and/or for Smith to slow her roll. Nenshi didn't move the needle when he took over for Notley, and that says something. But, given enough time... 🤔

6 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

From dinner parties?

In two years... maybe. Maybe. That might be enough time to rebuild himself in Alberta, and/or for Smith to slow her roll. Nenshi didn't move the needle when he took over for Notley, and that says something. But, given enough time... 🤔

So you're saying Alberta has a lot of rednecks?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So you're saying Alberta has a lot of rednecks?

That's not exactly breaking news...

Nenshi had a decent run, started off well. But, like most politicians, he wore out on people. I felt he stepped back at a good time. That said, his heir apparent here in Cowtown is not popular, and the perception of her still reflects on him. Like it or lump it, Calgary will largely decide the next provincial election, and it's here in Calgary where Nenshi is not remembered fondly by those people who do not tend to agree with you.

Like Prime says, that election is (probably) two years out. Maybe Nenshi can rebuild that perception, if he follows a different, wiser track than Notley was capable of.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

That's not exactly breaking news...

Nenshi had a decent run, started off well. But, like most politicians, he wore out on people. I felt he stepped back at a good time. That said, his heir apparent here in Cowtown is not popular, and the perception of her still reflects on him. Like it or lump it, Calgary will largely decide the next provincial election, and it's here in Calgary where Nenshi is not remembered fondly by those people who do not tend to agree with you.

Like Prime says, that election is (probably) two years out. Maybe Nenshi can rebuild that perception, if he follows a different, wiser track than Notley was capable of.

What interests me is how much of the UCP vote shifts when they have a non-white option. I doubt that percentage is captured in regular polls.

Nenshi also doesn't need to win a vote in rural ab, just the Calgary adjacent seats.

Edited by Bob Long