Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who made (and largely continues to make) those rules though? "Boomers", that's who. They're also the ones that started on this race to the bottom economy, including all the environmental issues it causes.

As much of a "point and laugh at the crazy environmentalist politician" moment as it was, she's not entirely wrong. A great deal of our current economic, housing and environmental woes can be traced back to Boomers and the policies, regulations, laws, nimbyism, purchasing habits etc that they're largely responsible for.

Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin, Pierre Trudeau. None of these people are baby boomers. You can go back even further for tax policies and other government regulations. 

Heck not even PP and Trudeau are baby boomers. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Jean Chrétien, Paul Martin, Pierre Trudeau. None of these people are baby boomers. You can go back even further for tax policies and other government regulations. 

Heck not even PP and Trudeau are baby boomers. 

Who voted those guys in power? Biggest voting block. And again, you make too much of PM's. Invdividual PM's aren't responsible for everything despite the wide popularity of the whole "F Trudeau" thing. The vast majority of these problems fall to municipal and provincial politics. Trust me there's been and continue to be plenty of Boomers running those. Buying habits absolutely fall on Boomers, they're a massive purchasing block. And they're decisions, regulatory or purchasing, have been shaping a lot of the race to the bottom economic issues we're dealing with today.

And you're just conveniently skipping the decades in between where Boomers were actually the PM's? 🤣 

• Vintage 2

52 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was just thinking the other day about estate taxes and how low they are. You are reading my mind Bob. I’ll bring it up at the next “think tank” meeting. 

My wife and I are actually concerned about this. We'd like to just pass on our place to our kid, but is there going to be a 30% tax to do it?

Not sure that a family trust would be enough protection if eg the NDP actually got power.

Jobless summer: Why youth unemployment is at a decade high

Youth unemployment jumped to 13.5% in June, a level not seen since September of 2014, excluding the pandemic

Brendon Bernard, economist with Indeed Canada, says deteriorating business sentiment and a population boom is driving this spike in unemployed young people.

“It’s been driven by a surge of newcomers from abroad,” he said. “At a time when employer hiring appetite has been on the wane, we now have a surge of youth job seekers, and the demand isn’t there to keep up with the [labour] supply.”

Canada welcomed 1.3 million newcomers in 2023 and the 15–24-year-old population cohort grew by an estimated 335,700 people since last June, according to Statistics Canada.

The government definitely isn't using immigrants as wage suppression tools to help greedy corporations.... No definitely not. The lovely liberals would never do something like that 🙄

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

My wife and I are actually concerned about this. We'd like to just pass on our place to our kid, but is there going to be a 30% tax to do it?

Not sure that a family trust would be enough protection if eg the NDP actually got power.

Estate tax is 30% in the US. I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets that high in Canada in the next 10-20 years. 

You could always transfer title to the kid before you are gone. Or you could sell it before you go. We sold our mom’s house before she died. That way you are only going to have to pay the “home equity tax” and the “capital gains tax”. So you won’t get triple taxed with the upcoming increased estate tax. 

8 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Youth unemployment jumped to 13.5% in June, a level not seen since September of 2014, excluding the pandemic

Brendon Bernard, economist with Indeed Canada, says deteriorating business sentiment and a population boom is driving this spike in unemployed young people.

“It’s been driven by a surge of newcomers from abroad,” he said. “At a time when employer hiring appetite has been on the wane, we now have a surge of youth job seekers, and the demand isn’t there to keep up with the [labour] supply.”

Canada welcomed 1.3 million newcomers in 2023 and the 15–24-year-old population cohort grew by an estimated 335,700 people since last June, according to Statistics Canada.

The government definitely isn't using immigrants as wage suppression tools to help greedy corporations.... No definitely not. The lovely liberals would never do something like that 🙄

And you think the even more anti-worker, anti-union, trickle down, pro corporation Cons will do better? 

See-sawing from one bad alternative to a worse one is exactly what got us in to this mess. Let's keep doing it!

• ThereItIs 4

10 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

Ricky stop blaming the immigrants for all of our problems.  🤨

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Estate tax is 30% in the US. I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets that high in Canada in the next 10-20 years. 

You could always transfer title to the kid before you are gone. Or you could sell it before you go. We sold our mom’s house before she died. That way you are only going to have to pay the “home equity tax” and the “capital gains tax”. So you won’t get triple taxed with the upcoming increased estate tax. 

we probably will just transfer title if all goes well, but I also wonder if that will be taxed in a similar way to the property transfer tax, which is annoying as hell. 

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And you think the even more anti-worker, anti-union, trickle down, pro corporation Cons will do better? 

See-sawing from one bad alternative to a worse one is exactly what got us in to this mess. Let's keep doing it!

that plus the lib's conducing "wage suppression for big companies" is just stupid. I've seen some dumb shit on this site, but that one is up there. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

that plus the lib's conducing "wage suppression for big companies" is just stupid. I've seen some dumb shit on this site, but that one is up there. 

You got a counter point to my argument or is lame insults all you got. Let's hear it?

16 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You got a counter point to my argument or is lame insults all you got. Let's hear it?

What argument? I don't see a well thought out anything there.

Lame insult is all that comment merits.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What argument? I don't see a well thought out anything there.

Lame insult is all that comment merits.

You don't see the clear wage suppression by only bringing in low skill workers when we clearly don't need them? Cool. Not my problem then. Just don't be surprised when hairdo gets voted out 🤷

When your lawyer tacitly admits most of the weapons you brought to the border blockade, were illegal:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/defence-suggests-some-of-the-guns-seized-from-coutts-border-blockade-used-for-hunting/ar-BB1pLqik?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=814b6b3dd98c41bbb6190fdc38b2041d&ei=42

"

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — A defence lawyer for one of two men accused of conspiracy to commit murder at the border blockade at Coutts, Alta., has suggested some of the guns seized by police were rifles used for hunting small game.

Katherin Beyak made the comment Wednesday during cross-examination of an RCMP firearms expert.

Her client, Chris Carbert, and his co-accused, Anthony Olienick, were arrested in 2022, after police seized a cache of weapons, ammunition and body armour from trailers near the blockade.

Beyak said some of the weapons were small calibre rifles that fire the same ammunition. She produced a chart listing bullets and said the rifles would normally be used for hunting small game.

The chart, shown to the jury, showed possible targets for various sizes of bullets, from small animals to deer, grizzly bears and moose.

"I'm going to suggest to you that different calibres of cartridge are used for carrying out different purposes," said Beyak.

"Yes," replied firearms expert Bryan Hui.

"For example what this chart would seem to suggest is that .22- and .223-calibre ammunition is generally for either small game or varmints," she said.

"I can't say hunting is my expertise but that is what's depicted on the charts," Hui said.

Hui testified that among the seized weapons was a prohibited semi-automatic AR-15 rifle and several restricted .45-calibre semi-automatic handguns.

He said one of the largest weapons was a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle, which uses .338-calibre Lapua Magnum ammunition.

"Generally speaking ... it's a relatively larger type of calibre in comparison to what I normally see in hunting rifles," Hui said. "With the larger calibre, you typically have the ability to fire at a larger range."

The blockade tied up traffic for two weeks at the busy Canada-U.S. border crossing in a protest of COVID-19 measures and vaccine mandates.

Undercover officers, posing as volunteers at the blockade, previously testified that Olienick said he believed Mounties were the tools of “devil” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and deserved to be hanged.

The officers told the court that Olienick said if police raided the blockade, he would “slit their throats.”

The trial has also seen text messages from Carbert warning his mother of war, saying he's prepared to die.

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

When your lawyer tacitly admits most of the weapons you brought to the border blockade, were illegal:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/defence-suggests-some-of-the-guns-seized-from-coutts-border-blockade-used-for-hunting/ar-BB1pLqik?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=814b6b3dd98c41bbb6190fdc38b2041d&ei=42

"

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — A defence lawyer for one of two men accused of conspiracy to commit murder at the border blockade at Coutts, Alta., has suggested some of the guns seized by police were rifles used for hunting small game.

Katherin Beyak made the comment Wednesday during cross-examination of an RCMP firearms expert.

Her client, Chris Carbert, and his co-accused, Anthony Olienick, were arrested in 2022, after police seized a cache of weapons, ammunition and body armour from trailers near the blockade.

Beyak said some of the weapons were small calibre rifles that fire the same ammunition. She produced a chart listing bullets and said the rifles would normally be used for hunting small game.

The chart, shown to the jury, showed possible targets for various sizes of bullets, from small animals to deer, grizzly bears and moose.

"I'm going to suggest to you that different calibres of cartridge are used for carrying out different purposes," said Beyak.

"For example what this chart would seem to suggest is that .22- and .223-calibre ammunition is generally for either small game or varmints," she said.

"I can't say hunting is my expertise but that is what's depicted on the charts," Hui said.

Hui testified that among the seized weapons was a prohibited semi-automatic AR-15 rifle and several restricted .45-calibre semi-automatic handguns.

He said one of the largest weapons was a Remington 700 bolt-action rifle, which uses .338-calibre Lapua Magnum ammunition.

"Generally speaking ... it's a relatively larger type of calibre in comparison to what I normally see in hunting rifles," Hui said. "With the larger calibre, you typically have the ability to fire at a larger range."

The blockade tied up traffic for two weeks at the busy Canada-U.S. border crossing in a protest of COVID-19 measures and vaccine mandates.

Undercover officers, posing as volunteers at the blockade, previously testified that Olienick said he believed Mounties were the tools of “devil” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and deserved to be hanged.

The officers told the court that Olienick said if police raided the blockade, he would “slit their throats.”

The trial has also seen text messages from Carbert warning his mother of war, saying he's prepared to die.

Interesting argument that is also ludicrous lol. No matter if a gun is normally used for hunting or not ... Taking it to a protest isn't related. .... It's taking a gun for possible human targets ...

I hope this lawyer is laughed out of there 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

You don't see the clear wage suppression by only bringing in low skill workers when we clearly don't need them? Cool. Not my problem then. Just don't be surprised when hairdo gets voted out 🤷

Yeah it's a big corporate conspiracy, you really tied it all together.

34 minutes ago, Gurn said:

"

PPs kind of people. I mean they just wanted to talk, am I rite? 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sapper said:

Do you even live in Canada ?

Heck even the national builders association ( employers ) say we don't have enough labourers to meet our needs. The lack of workers is impacting their ability to build.

Immigrants are not the problem. Temporary foreign worker program is a huge problem.

Allowing companies to bring in non citizens to fill minimum wage jobs because they say no one will work them is the BS keeping wages low. People won't work farm work or fast food for the lowest allowed by law. Instead of forcing those companies to be true capitalists and pay what the market demands they allow them to outsource to prevent wage increases 

Immigrants have to live work and play the same as all Canadians and they pay fully taxes. Immigrants are not keeping wages down .... 

We are bringing in record amounts of people and still don't have enough labourers. Math ain't mathing. Wonder why that is?

"Temporary" are also a problem as well. Two things can be right at once.

Walmart doesn't use temporary workers. Nor do a lot of these other corporations benefiting right now. There's clearly a lot more to the issue than temporary foreign workers 

15 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

I do agree temporary workers/student visas  needs to be addressed and immigration has to be vetted but with the boomers retiring, we  need immigrants to reduce the age dependency ratio (the number of people over 65 divided by those between 15 and 64), and to avoid depopulation when we hit that age cliff. This plus we have a resource hungry US and a hostile Russia encroaching on our Arctic territory, we need more population to bolster our weight with these neighbors.

This will be a similar issue the conservatives will have to address, and the answer isn't as simple as less immigrants.

Another way to look at immigration is what is our net number per 1000 people. (I.e people immigrating vs leaving) Our net rate is actually lower compared to historical.

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/CAN/canada/net-migration#:~:text=The current net migration rate,a 1.52% decline from 2022.

image.png.ab6c50727299b5d892cf4c9b8d194079.png

image.png

UN projections for Canada's net migration and growth rate to 2100.

That age cliff is coming according to the UN, we need to plan for this, Liberal and Conservative.

image.png.659a78e03bed6290cbcbc875cf1c71a1.png

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I do agree temporary workers/student visas  needs to be addressed and immigration has to be vetted but with the boomers retiring, we  need immigrants to reduce the age dependency ratio (the number of people over 65 divided by those between 15 and 64), and to avoid depopulation when we hit that age cliff. This plus we have a resource hungry US and a hostile Russia encroaching on our Arctic territory, we need more population to bolster our weight with these neighbors.

This will be a similar issue the conservatives will have to address, and the answer isn't as simple as less immigrants.

Another way to look at immigration is what is our net number per 1000 people. (I.e people immigrating vs leaving) Our net rate is actually lower compared to historical.

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/CAN/canada/net-migration#:~:text=The current net migration rate,a 1.52% decline from 2022.

image.png.ab6c50727299b5d892cf4c9b8d194079.png

image.png

UN projections for Canada's net migration and growth rate to 2100.

That age cliff is coming according to the UN, we need to plan for this, Liberal and Conservative.

image.png.659a78e03bed6290cbcbc875cf1c71a1.png

Thanks for injecting some reality to the discussion.

This is why the CPC won't actually change the immigration numbers.

They might tweak students in year 1 of their mandate but that's it.

• Cheers 1