Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

18 hours ago, DSVII said:

Be careful what's on your feed.

Behind the anger on the Reddit Canada Site

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-14-day-6/clip/16079694-behind-anger-reddit-canada-site

Did Reddit Year End Recaps Expose Russian Interference in Alberta

https://www.stalbertgazette.com/local-news/did-reddit-year-end-recaps-expose-russian-interference-in-alberta-8223476

All the more reason to avoid that wasteland.

CFF is far superior.

7 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I do agree temporary workers/student visas  needs to be addressed and immigration has to be vetted but with the boomers retiring, we  need immigrants to reduce the age dependency ratio (the number of people over 65 divided by those between 15 and 64), and to avoid depopulation when we hit that age cliff. This plus we have a resource hungry US and a hostile Russia encroaching on our Arctic territory, we need more population to bolster our weight with these neighbors.

This will be a similar issue the conservatives will have to address, and the answer isn't as simple as less immigrants.

Another way to look at immigration is what is our net number per 1000 people. (I.e people immigrating vs leaving) Our net rate is actually lower compared to historical.

https://www.macrotrends.net/global-metrics/countries/CAN/canada/net-migration#:~:text=The current net migration rate,a 1.52% decline from 2022.

image.png.ab6c50727299b5d892cf4c9b8d194079.png

image.png

UN projections for Canada's net migration and growth rate to 2100.

That age cliff is coming according to the UN, we need to plan for this, Liberal and Conservative.

image.png.659a78e03bed6290cbcbc875cf1c71a1.png

Look at Japan for an example of what happens if we ignore this issue.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

All the more reason to avoid that wasteland.

CFF is far superior.

Haha i don't know if you mean to be sarcastic here. I certainly try to keep that perspective in mind when consuming content on this forum that is designed to make you pissed off. 

For me, i subscribe to the boring Economist to get my updates.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think bolt has a sixth sense, but instead of seeing dead people he sees Trudeau in everything.

I think there's a term for that... something something "obsessive manic Trudeauphobia" or something like that. :classic_ninja:

2 hours ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

We are bringing in record amounts of people and still don't have enough labourers. Math ain't mathing. Wonder why that is?

"Temporary" are also a problem as well. Two things can be right at once.

Walmart doesn't use temporary workers. Nor do a lot of these other corporations benefiting right now. There's clearly a lot more to the issue than temporary foreign workers 

The math does add up though 

For example if we need 500 thousand workers for every one million citizens ( to feed , cloth , house them all ) .... Then the more people we increase the need for more workers go up.

Canada's birth rate hadn't kept pace , mainly due to 2 parents needing to work. As such just to keep up with demand we became dependent on immigration.

Rather than fixing the issue so families could afford to have more kids the last 40 years of government has used immigration to cover the difference.  Companies demanded it as they needed workers 

As for wages ? That's pure corporate greed and nothing more. When we could afford to have only one parent work , when workers retire with pensions and benefits .... We didn't have yearly new records for corporate profits and we didn't have the same yearly new records for consumer debt that we have now

Greed at the top has caused most of the inflation and most of the low wage issues we have.

Mom and pop stores can only pay more if the can charge more .

Mom and pop stores have to compete with the Walmart's so can't charge more if they want to stay in business

The Walmart's buy governments to ensure employer friendly laws to keep wages down and unions out. 

Walmart's then lower their prices to force other businesses out of the market and because workers paid mcwalmart wages can only afford to shop at mcwalmarts

This process covers nearly every industry and is the number one reason our economy is screwed ( not carbon tax )

Having third world wages without benefits only works when the cost of living is also at third world rates..... Bug business broke capitalism by having third world competitive wages and maintaining first world costs .... That's the math that doesn't work out 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, DSVII said:

Haha i don't know if you mean to be sarcastic here. I certainly try to keep that perspective in mind when consuming content on this forum that is designed to make you pissed off. 

For me, i subscribe to the boring Economist to get my updates.

I'm being genuine. I consider these forums to be much, much better than Reddit.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think there's a term for that... something something "obsessive manic Trudeauphobia" or something like that. :classic_ninja:

I think if all you tune into are PP YouTube videos, yea everything around you looks like Trudeau stuck his fingers in it.

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Who voted those guys in power? Biggest voting block. And again, you make too much of PM's. Invdividual PM's aren't responsible for everything despite the wide popularity of the whole "F Trudeau" thing. The vast majority of these problems fall to municipal and provincial politics. Trust me there's been and continue to be plenty of Boomers running those. Buying habits absolutely fall on Boomers, they're a massive purchasing block. And they're decisions, regulatory or purchasing, have been shaping a lot of the race to the bottom economic issues we're dealing with today.

And you're just conveniently skipping the decades in between where Boomers were actually the PM's? 🤣 

You’re very wrong. It’s well documented that a large percentage of the youth today is becoming conservative. I even see it in real time here in salmon arm with my kids and their friends. I’m not talking right leaning center, I’m talking as far right as you can possibly go. The progressive narrative has been shoved down this younger generation’s throat for so long that they’ve had enough of it. This progressive movement has had the opposite effect on our youth today. Never have I seen young people more homophobic and racist. I remember when I was a teenager my demographic was far more progressive than it is today. The left is fixing to get wiped out all over the world. You see it happening in all countries. 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

You’re very wrong. It’s well documented that a large percentage of the youth today is becoming conservative. I even see it in real time here in salmon arm with my kids and their friends. I’m not talking right leaning center, I’m talking as far right as you can possibly go. The progressive narrative has been shoved down this younger generation’s throat for so long that they’ve had enough of it. This progressive movement has had the opposite effect on our youth today. Never have I seen young people more homophobic and racist. I remember when I was a teenager my demographic was far more progressive than it is today. The left is fixing to get wiped out all over the world. You see it happening in all countries. 

A few of thoughts...

I have Okanagan kids in their twenties with many friends. None are homophobes and none are racists.

Salmon Arm has always been pretty conservative and has been the home of some extremely far right folks.

Recent elections in France and the UK, and large anti authoritarian demonstrations in many European cities, contradict your global move to right prophecy.  

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

I'd like to see the documentation. 

I'm not seeing hard right teens/ young 20-somethings in large numbers; if anything, they are far more progressive and open to things than when I was young. Unless, of course, we're discussing being open to bigotry of pretty much any stripe. Then, yes, those kids close ranks and tell you to f**ck right the f**ck off....

18 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

And that's the predicament any government faces today.

Increase housing supply? Of course! But are you ready to see the value of your own house depreciate? No? Ok well then the government certainly doesn't want to do that, they need your votes!

That's a tricky one, because there's no denying that something needs to be done. 

If may take a large scale transfer of generational wealth for such action though, the government's of the future will be catering to generations that are younger now, and that probably won't happen sooner than later. That'd take most of the boomer generation dying off, which probably puts it at roughly 10-20 years given the youngest boomers are roughly what.. 60? It'll happen eventually.

Thing is, what exactly will be passed on? Because all generations are feeling the brunt of rising costs of living, even if some generations are collectively feeling it less than others. All boomers aren't wealthy, the same can be said of Gen X, we're already seeing older folks being priced out of housing and struggling to get by. What that generational transfer of wealth looks like is anyone's guess. Some of it will boil down to birth lottery.

Thing is, what do you do in the meantime? Because you've got two large, younger generational cohorts who are struggling with housing. The oldest Gen Z are now roughly 26, but they're already the third largest generation in Canada, it probably won't be long til they're the second. 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/240221/dq240221a-eng.htm

Edited by Coconuts

54 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A few of thoughts...

I have Okanagan kids in their twenties with many friends. None are homophobes and none are racists.

Salmon Arm has always been pretty conservative and has been the home of some extremely far right folks.

Recent elections in France and the UK, and large anti authoritarian demonstrations in many European cities, contradict your global move to right prophecy.  

I've heard this from several people who live in and around Salmon Arm. On the surface it looks like a nice peaceful City, but....

1 hour ago, NoHeart said:

Hmmmmm, England???

52 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Disagree 

The move to conservatism is a generational issue ... Not the collective but individual generation 

When your young , healthy , no kids your only concern is more money. These young workers have always been ripe for hate farming and easily converted to the no tax no union movement that is core to conservatives. All you need to do is give them an enemy to hate.

For me growing up in Saskatchewan I was conservative after leaving highschool. I believed grant devine and Mulroney that the reason I was so poor was because government workers and unions kept me out of a better job and if we cut health and education spending i would save more taxes so would have lots of money.

Then my grandfather who served in WW2 and farmed his entire life ... Got very sick.  My view on cutting health services began to change ..... I didn't mind a few bucks a pay because it saved his life without making him pay all he had.... I was now a federal liberal and provincial NDP

A few years later you settle down and start a family and now education is important ... And it just keeps going 

Point is for a century young workers have been easy targets to groom into conservatives just by giving them someone to hate.

For many they begin to drift from that ideology as they grow older because they understand that the person they were told to hate wasn't the problem and nor was it their fault they had less money. Doesn't mean they will change to another party but for many it does mean they start moving back from the far right 

This is what we are seeking in Canada today. PP has given them anyone not conservative and Truduea as the enemy to hate and just like I jumped into it ... So are they.

PP calls youth that are not conservative Woke .... In reality it's because most of those youth have been impacted in their lives by an issue that was made worse by right wing politics so don't jump with the rest of the youth that have joined that club..

Many of these young adults who are moving right will move back to the centre or even parties once they have lived and worked a few more years.

28 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

I'd like to see the documentation. 

I'm not seeing hard right teens/ young 20-somethings in large numbers; if anything, they are far more progressive and open to things than when I was young. Unless, of course, we're discussing being open to bigotry of pretty much any stripe. Then, yes, those kids close ranks and tell you to f**ck right the f**ck off....

Literally search it up and you’ll see a massive amount of articles on it. The thing that people don’t understand about the far right is that it’s silent. Progressives are always crying and calling everyone out and conservatives are far more reserved. It’s just like when trump surprisingly won the election. Nobody knew the silent conservatives were hiding in the weeds. All of these conservative landslide wins in Europe are all huge surprises as well. Here in Canada, it’s not even a secret when you see how the conservatives are polling, which tells me there are even more silently sitting in the weeds. We are going to see a blue wipeout like we’ve never seen before. 

58 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

A few of thoughts...

look at the election results. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Literally search it up and you’ll see a massive amount of articles on it. The thing that people don’t understand about the far right is that it’s silent. Progressives are always crying and calling everyone out and conservatives are far more reserved. It’s just like when trump surprisingly won the election. Nobody knew the silent conservatives were hiding in the weeds. All of these conservative landslide wins in Europe are all huge surprises as well. Here in Canada, it’s not even a secret when you see how the conservatives are polling, which tells me there are even more silently sitting in the weeds. We are going to see a blue wipeout like we’ve never seen before. 

look at the election results. 

France and UK both moved to the left and the USA denazifed their country in 2020.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

What the absolute fuck LOL

Conservatives entire identity is crying that their lives are awful because of Trudeau by wearing fuck trudeau stickers on the back of their insanely expensive trucks while having jobs and careers that are so in danger that they can afford to take endless days off to fly said flags and drive said trucks across the province crying about how hard their lives are.

Reserved?  Fuck that's ridiculously funny

And I just proved my point. 

it’s no different then having to walk on rainbow crosswalks 

This will upset people I am sure.  Going from woke to warrior before Pierre can do his thing.  Darn

Following a blizzard of criticism from allies — most notably the United States — the Liberal government announced Thursday that it hopes to meet NATO's military investment benchmark of two per cent of alliance members' gross domestic products by 2032.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the statement at the close of the alliance's annual summit in Washington.

While the prime minister didn't say precisely how the Liberal government intends to reach the goal, both his defence and foreign affairs ministers have for weeks hinted that uncosted, unapproved elements of the new defence policy will push the country up to and possibly past the two per cent mark.

The government has committed to a regular cycle of defence reviews. The next one is set for 2028. 

"We will continue to explore opportunities that will further increase defence spending and advance Canada's strategic interests," Trudeau said.

Defence Minister Bill Blair has said repeatedly over the past few months that he's been hoping to share a verifiable plan with NATO allies — who have been increasingly vocal about their disappointment in Canada's failure to accelerate its investments in defence.

The announcement of a timeline without details is unlikely to quell allies' criticism — especially now that some of them, including Poland, are calling for the benchmark to be moved even higher.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

France and UK both moved to the left and the USA denazifed their country in 2020.

I’m talking about the growth of right wing support in Europe. It’s unprecedented. 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

Just because conservatives can't stand anything that isn't white doesn't mean the rest of us should cater to their bigotry.

• ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

You proved nothing, my being incredulous at such a ridiculously and easily disproved statement does not justify your position mate.

It would ave been akin to saying Chicago had the best chance to win the cup to start last season.  Just because you say it doesn't make it true

As for rainbow sidewalks, your "reserved colleagues" sure don't seem to make their reserved natures evident when they see one

Edited by Warhippy