Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

59 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Im not even sure JT knows what a Budget is though, by his famous the budget will balance its self line. Breaking news, it did not. 

Just asking…did Covid Recovery have a legitimate affect on the Budget? 

Yes or No? 

5 hours ago, bolt said:

Another great ad by the CPC.  How can you watch this ad and not vote for them?

It is foolish to think the Liberal government is the sole cause of the housing crisis and assume that the CPC had nothing to do with it. Decades of short-sighted policy decisions - Liberal and Conservative - are to blame. 

You can blame the Liberals, but thinking that the CPC are going to come in and fix our problems is a fool's errand. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Or make a deal with developers, that for every 10 units built they put in the equivalent of 1 socialized housing unit or whatever ratio works. And the units must be 1,2, or 3 bedrooms.

Allow people with middle class incomes to be able to buy into socialized housing. When I had my stroke I was chatting with a nutritionist. She works full time at the hospital.

Her husband is a bus driver. And all they can afford along with their kids is socialized housing, and they were on a wait list and got in. They have to have a portion of their time helping out with the coop. But it helps them afford two kids and save for their education. So it's not like they are on EI, or Welfare.

That's essentially inclusionary zoning. 

It's a policy many Canadian municipalities have been starting to implement. It's a nice concept, but sometimes hard to execute for every single new development, as those "deals"  you allude to that local governments have to negotiate with developers don't always result in significant amounts of social housing. And even then, there are various kinds of subsidized housing that municipalities will broker with developers - social housing, below-market housing, purpose-built rental units, etc, so it's not necessarily social housing all the time.

Suffice to say, it's one of the solutions to produce more affordable housing, but definitely not enough to move the needle on its own.  

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

That's a tricky one, because there's no denying that something needs to be done. 

If may take a large scale transfer of generational wealth for such action though, the government's of the future will be catering to generations that are younger now, and that probably won't happen sooner than later. That'd take most of the boomer generation dying off, which probably puts it at roughly 10-20 years given the youngest boomers are roughly what.. 60? It'll happen eventually.

Thing is, what exactly will be passed on? Because all generations are feeling the brunt of rising costs of living, even if some generations are collectively feeling it less than others. All boomers aren't wealthy, the same can be said of Gen X, we're already seeing older folks being priced out of housing and struggling to get by. What that generational transfer of wealth looks like is anyone's guess. Some of it will boil down to birth lottery.

Thing is, what do you do in the meantime? Because you've got two large, younger generational cohorts who are struggling with housing. The oldest Gen Z are now roughly 26, but they're already the third largest generation in Canada, it probably won't be long til they're the second. 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/240221/dq240221a-eng.htm

I see what you're saying - I'm probably being a little too cynical. 

I guess what I'm saying is that Canada's economy has become very dependent on housing such that home ownership has become the primary means to accumulating wealth. Are we at a point of no return? 

While millennials (like myself) and Gen Zs struggle with housing, it's the very thing most of us are striving for to establish a financial safety net. I have a handful of friends who have just entered their 30s and have already achieved this, and I think they'd be pretty pissed if they saw their homes suddenly devalued. 

So if not a market-based solution (i.e., increase the housing supply) then what about a publicly funded solutions? Should the government buy up land and build more social housing? Rental housing? Where's that money going to come from? Are folks like you and me ready to fund that? But we need to balance the budget, don't we? 

But yes, something needs to be done. I guess I just like spelling out the circular arguments people on the left and right get into when it comes to this topic. Everyone's mad and everyone's got someone to blame. Myself included 😂

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I see what you're saying - I'm probably being a little too cynical. 

I guess what I'm saying is that Canada's economy has become very dependent on housing such that home ownership has become the primary means to accumulating wealth. Are we at a point of no return? 

While millennials (like myself) and Gen Zs struggle with housing, it's the very thing most of us are striving for to establish a financial safety net. I have a handful of friends who have just entered their 30s and have already achieved this, and I think they'd be pretty pissed if they saw their homes suddenly devalued. 

So if not a market-based solution (i.e., increase the housing supply) then what about a publicly funded solutions? Should the government buy up land and build more social housing? Rental housing? Where's that money going to come from? Are folks like you and me ready to fund that? But we need to balance the budget, don't we? 

But yes, something needs to be done. I guess I just like spelling out the circular arguments people on the left and right get into when it comes to this topic. Everyone's mad and everyone's got someone to blame. Myself included 😂

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing 'the budget will balance itself' without seeing the whole thing

--

"The interview lasts less than 5 minutes and focuses entirely on the budget. The quote comes at the very end when the interviewer asked Mr. Trudeau how committed he would be to a balanced budget, would it worry him to go into deficit in the current economic climate. Justin Trudeau answered: "The commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy, and the budget will balance itself. This way [the way the Conservatives were doing it], they're artificially fixing a target of a balanced budget in an election year and they're going through all kinds of twists and bends to get it just right, and the timing just right in the announcement. And that's irresponsible. What you need to do is create an economy that works for Canadians, works for middle class Canadians, allows young people to find a job, allows seniors to feel secure in their retirement."

The Budget has become such an obnoxious political football. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I'm getting a bit tired of seeing 'the budget will balance itself' without seeing the whole thing

--

"The interview lasts less than 5 minutes and focuses entirely on the budget. The quote comes at the very end when the interviewer asked Mr. Trudeau how committed he would be to a balanced budget, would it worry him to go into deficit in the current economic climate. Justin Trudeau answered: "The commitment needs to be a commitment to grow the economy, and the budget will balance itself. This way [the way the Conservatives were doing it], they're artificially fixing a target of a balanced budget in an election year and they're going through all kinds of twists and bends to get it just right, and the timing just right in the announcement. And that's irresponsible. What you need to do is create an economy that works for Canadians, works for middle class Canadians, allows young people to find a job, allows seniors to feel secure in their retirement."

Oh no

Not the Truth!!!  More than just a soundbite?

You can't do that, this doesn't count

No Sense I Dont Get It GIF by Dead Meat James

• Cheers 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/indigenous-group-turns-their-backs-on-poilievre-during-afn-speech/vi-BB1pQ5RG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5ab36fc280da4036a8c2d65433833c92&ei=12

Delegates to the annual meeting of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) in Montreal heard from two federal party leaders on Thursday: Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre and the NDP’s Jagmeet Singh. One group in the audience stood and turned their backs as Poilievre spoke, in response to when he told a radio station in 2008 that he felt Indigenous people needed the values of hard work, independence and self-reliance. Mike Armstrong reports. See less

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/indigenous-group-turns-their-backs-on-poilievre-during-afn-speech/vi-BB1pQ5RG?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5ab36fc280da4036a8c2d65433833c92&ei=12

Delegates to the annual meeting of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) in Montreal heard from two federal party leaders on Thursday: Conservative leader Pierre Poilievre and the NDP’s Jagmeet Singh. One group in the audience stood and turned their backs as Poilievre spoke, in response to when he told a radio station in 2008 that he felt Indigenous people needed the values of hard work, independence and self-reliance. Mike Armstrong reports. See less

Semi-related, but reminds me of this (skip to 5:27 to 9:10) 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Just asking…did Covid Recovery have a legitimate affect on the Budget? 

Yes or No? 

Yes big time, even more than it should have as they threw money at it with blatant disregard. The non covid years were bad as well though. Most PM's of his tenure will face at least one major crisis.  

7 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yes big time, even more than it should have as they threw money at it with blatant disregard. The non covid years were bad as well though. Most PM's of his tenure will face at least one major crisis.  

How do you know it was blatant disregard? 

What was the correct number to spend?

17 hours ago, bolt said:

If Justin Trudeau didn't have the experience of being a substitute Drama teacher he wouldn't be qualified to be PM!!!! It doesn't matter that his 8 year record has been terrible and most Canadians want him gone...

What happened when the "I was almost an insurance salesman" Scheer, guy ran against Trudeau? Who is more qualified?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

There really is no way to determine the appropriate level of spend, especially in an unprecedented global emergency. The US spent more than us per capita (and to their discredit, a lot of this money went to fradulant PPP loans and corporations, each citizen received only $500) and yet they suffered way more deaths per capita than us.

It's a very high level view but according to the Canadian taxpayers federation, although we spent more per capita in the world, our outcomes in deaths per 100k were better than average. And I think we can agree, conservative or liberal, a unprecedented pandemic that could kill millions of people, you err on the side of spending too much to safeguard your citizens.

image.png.26dad51aa83d4a40df9bb50849840fad.png

image.png

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh thank the gods that Toronto wasn't unaffordable and didn't have a housing issue back in July 2015 and it was ONLY created after October 2015

Clears it all up.  Trust a real estate agent to be honest and forthcoming about housing issues in Canada

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

43 minutes ago, DSVII said:

There really is no way to determine the appropriate level of spend, especially in an unprecedented global emergency. The US spent more than us per capita (and to their discredit, a lot of this money went to fradulant PPP loans and corporations, each citizen received only $500) and yet they suffered way more deaths per capita than us.

It's a very high level view but according to the Canadian taxpayers federation, although we spent more per capita in the world, our outcomes in deaths per 100k were better than average. And I think we can agree, conservative or liberal, a unprecedented pandemic that could kill millions of people, you err on the side of spending too much to safeguard your citizens.

image.png.26dad51aa83d4a40df9bb50849840fad.png

image.png

Based on the outcomes chart I would draw the conclusion that the money spend fighting covid did not have much effect on the death totals, the countries with the lowest deaths per 100,000 were the countries that already had strong healthcare systems and a disciplined population. For example Mexico had similar death ratio as the USA despite spending over 36X less money as a percentage of GDP during this time and having a worse medical system. 

I would say the western countries way overspent and accumulated large amounts of debt. While BRICS countries benefited greatly and made huge strides to close the power gap on the West. The result if the trend continues could result in weakening of the US dollar and increased global conflict.    

Edited by Bure_Pavel

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Based on the outcomes chart I would draw the conclusion that the money spend fighting covid did not have much effect on the death totals, the countries with the lowest deaths per 100,000 were the countries that already had strong healthcare systems and a disciplined population. For example Mexico had similar death ratio as the USA despite spending over 36X less money as a percentage of GDP during this time and having a worse medical system. 

Seek and ye shall find they say.  This is especially true when you have a preferred conclusion before you even begin to look.  🙂

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Seek and ye shall find they say.  This is especially true when you have a preferred conclusion before you even begin to look.  🙂

You would expect based on the chart that majority of the green dots in the death column would be near the top of the list but that doesn't appear to be the case.