Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

2 hours ago, bolt said:

So you don't agree that Justin Trudeau should step down?

I would definitely argue that Harper was worse as was the genocidal John A MacDonald.  Worst in history is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I would definitely argue that Harper was worse as was the genocidal John A MacDonald.

Wow. Vintage reference. 

Like a Gordie Howe/Bobby Orr reference inside of an argument. 

Respect. 

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

Under Harper we even fell below 1% ....... Truduea has done better than Harper did with our military spending 

Harper cut cut cut and deferred major purchases so he could use those funds for corporate hand outs ......  Yet PP has put lipstick on that pig and resold it as him being the savoir .......

PP and those that support him are delusional 

The 2% target was only agreed upon in 2014 by all of NATO.  Trudeau hasn't hit that target at all in 9 years and isn't planning to anytime soon...

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

So, do you think giving tax cuts to corporations and the ultra wealthy will help with that?

According to this thread, PP hasn't told us his plan yet.  So how do you know corporations are getting tax cuts along with rich people?  Also, corporations getting tax breaks means more jobs stay in Canada and the economy gets strengthened as a result.  Corporations are the ones that hire people, right?

3 hours ago, bolt said:

So to recap> Trump's media wing makes fun of Canada's Prime Minister. Got it.  And so when we looneys on the left suggest Pierre Poilievre is Trump LIght, I guess there is something there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to this thread, PP hasn't told us his plan yet.  So how do you know corporations are getting tax cuts along with rich people?  Also, corporations getting tax breaks means more jobs stay in Canada and the economy gets strengthened as a result.  Corporations are the ones that hire people, right?

I can field this one: Because PeePee has repeated over and over that he will axe that tax, (carbon pricing), and since 80% of the common people out there get more back than it costs them, that is specifically saying he will give Corporations that tax break.

Your followup, "along with rich people" also very easily spoted in Monsieur Poutine's greatest hits. If the extra bit tacked onto the Capital Gains tax only kicks in after the first 2.5 million in profits, (ergo: the seller is now RICH if they weren't already) is going to be UNDONE by a Conservative Majority Government, then clearly the guy who has been at the public teat since 2004 is going to give that tax break to the RICH. 

Reading comprehension for the win. When someone tells you who they are, believe them. 

Oh and lastly: Trickle Down economics was debunked over 20 years ago. ( I know because I just qualified for thousands in a DRIP from my loblaws stonks now one of the highest paying dividends on the TSX) Sorry, I too think Regan was a great actor and popular star, but his economics theory was thinly veiled policy that gave his rich donors massive financial advantages, and had nothing to do with the Labour in the country. 

EDIT: just wanted to also say your one of the posters I really appreciate here on the site, we disagree politically, but I do appreciate you and your opinions, despite not seeing eye to eye. Thought I should mention that. Too much hostility here on the forums for my liking.

The very real truth is Canadian Politics is this: 

LEFT-----MIDDLE-----RIGHT

compared to this global Policits spectrum:
EXTREME LEFT------------------------LEFT----------------------------MIDDLE--------------------------RIGHT------------------EXTREME RIGHT

SO even within our tribal choices here in Canada, we are pretty much all still cousins. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

AND, hiked up a mountain with no visible sweat signs with a flag and wife in tow. 

Wife was optional for the pic. Just made it a better ‘look at me’. 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

AND, hiked up a mountain with no visible sweat signs with a flag and wife in tow. 

Wife was optional for the pic. Just made it a better ‘look at me’. 

What mountain? Link please i would love to see that....hahahhaaa. 

Immigrants in Canada face worst job crisis in 10 years. Indians likely hit hard (msn.com)

Immigrants in Canada face worst job crisis in 10 years. Indians likely hit hard

Immigrants who moved to Canada eyeing a better life are grappling with the worst job crisis in a decade. The unemployment rate for recent immigrants in the last five years was 12.6% in June, the worst in 10 years. Indians, being the biggest national cohort to get permanent residency in Canada, are likely to be the worst hit.

The unemployment rate of 12.6% is four percentage points lower than 2023, according to Statistics Canada.

The unemployment rate for those who were originally from Canada was 5.5%. In 2023, it was 5%.

These latest numbers show the unemployment rate among immigrants is the largest since 2014, according to a Globe and Mail report.

Indians are one of the largest group of immigrants who have become permanent residents (PRs) in Canada over the past five years.

WHY INDIAN IMMIGRANTS ARE LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN HIT

In 2023, out of the 471,810 new permanent residents, Indians were 139,785 or nearly 30%.

Since 2019, according to data from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), of the new permanent residents, 1,841,250, Indians were 514,435 in number.

"There were 1.4 million unemployed people in June 2024, an increase of 42,000 (+3.1%) from the previous month," Statistics Canada revealed in a recent report.

The companies in Canada are struggling with high interest rates, and they have become more hesitant to hire in the last two years. The Canadian population has increased due to a strong influx of immigrants.

"The record surge in immigration has meant that even the healthy pace of job growth over the past year has fallen well short of what would have been needed to keep the unemployment rate steady," Royce Mendes and Tiago Figueiredo, economists at Desjardins Securities, said in a research note on July 9.

YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT IN CANADA A CHALLENGE FOR INDIAN STUDENTS

The job market is not just harsh on newcomers. The youth unemployment rate is also at a high at 13.6%, the highest since 2016.

This has led to a decline in interest in Indian students coming to Canada. Indians made up the largest national cohort with 37% of study visas issued in 2023, but they are not applying to Canada in equally large numbers any more.

Although the number is declining, Indian students make up 41% of Canada's international students. Now, they will enter the job market and challenges await them.

Desjardins Economists are saying that the labour market is going well for people who are already employed but not for those who are seeking a job.

"Canada's unemployment story is less about job losses and more about population growth. Immigration is rising much faster than the country's economic capacity to create jobs, leading to much higher unemployment for new immigrants and young adults competing for similar roles," wrote Canadian outlet, Better Dwelling.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Immigrants in Canada face worst job crisis in 10 years. Indians likely hit hard (msn.com)

Immigrants in Canada face worst job crisis in 10 years. Indians likely hit hard

Immigrants who moved to Canada eyeing a better life are grappling with the worst job crisis in a decade. The unemployment rate for recent immigrants in the last five years was 12.6% in June, the worst in 10 years. Indians, being the biggest national cohort to get permanent residency in Canada, are likely to be the worst hit.

The unemployment rate of 12.6% is four percentage points lower than 2023, according to Statistics Canada.

The unemployment rate for those who were originally from Canada was 5.5%. In 2023, it was 5%.

These latest numbers show the unemployment rate among immigrants is the largest since 2014, according to a Globe and Mail report.

Indians are one of the largest group of immigrants who have become permanent residents (PRs) in Canada over the past five years.

WHY INDIAN IMMIGRANTS ARE LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN HIT

In 2023, out of the 471,810 new permanent residents, Indians were 139,785 or nearly 30%.

Since 2019, according to data from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), of the new permanent residents, 1,841,250, Indians were 514,435 in number.

"There were 1.4 million unemployed people in June 2024, an increase of 42,000 (+3.1%) from the previous month," Statistics Canada revealed in a recent report.

The companies in Canada are struggling with high interest rates, and they have become more hesitant to hire in the last two years. The Canadian population has increased due to a strong influx of immigrants.

"The record surge in immigration has meant that even the healthy pace of job growth over the past year has fallen well short of what would have been needed to keep the unemployment rate steady," Royce Mendes and Tiago Figueiredo, economists at Desjardins Securities, said in a research note on July 9.

YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT IN CANADA A CHALLENGE FOR INDIAN STUDENTS

The job market is not just harsh on newcomers. The youth unemployment rate is also at a high at 13.6%, the highest since 2016.

This has led to a decline in interest in Indian students coming to Canada. Indians made up the largest national cohort with 37% of study visas issued in 2023, but they are not applying to Canada in equally large numbers any more.

Although the number is declining, Indian students make up 41% of Canada's international students. Now, they will enter the job market and challenges await them.

Desjardins Economists are saying that the labour market is going well for people who are already employed but not for those who are seeking a job.

"Canada's unemployment story is less about job losses and more about population growth. Immigration is rising much faster than the country's economic capacity to create jobs, leading to much higher unemployment for new immigrants and young adults competing for similar roles," wrote Canadian outlet, Better Dwelling.

Why focus on Indian immigration? Seems odd.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The 2% target was only agreed upon in 2014 by all of NATO.  Trudeau hasn't hit that target at all in 9 years and isn't planning to anytime soon...

So Harper agreed to a number he never intended to meet, and it's Justins fault?

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Why focus on Indian immigration? Seems odd.

They account for 30% of the new workforce via immigration, or the largest segment.  The most critical part of that article:

This proves beyond any doubt that rapid immigration brought on by the Trudeau government is a direct cause of these higher unemployment numbers.  Too many people are coming in for not enough jobs.  This is the opposite of what was being said in this thread, that we needed all these people to come in to increase our GDP and to take on all of the new jobs that would be available.  How exactly are we increasing our GDP when these immigrants are at home unemployed and collecting government benefits just to survive?

Why don't we just admit that there is too much immigration going on and that the numbers need to be scaled back in a large way so that these people who are coming over actually have a shot at a decent life?  Also, we need more skilled workers, not people who are going to take jobs away from the 15-24 age group, as their unemployment numbers are also skyrocketing...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why don't we just admit that there is too much immigration going on and that the numbers need to be scaled back in a large way so that these people who are coming over actually have a shot at a decent life?  

Who hasn't?

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They account for 30% of the new workforce via immigration, or the largest segment.  The most critical part of that article:

This proves beyond any doubt that rapid immigration brought on by the Trudeau government is a direct cause of these higher unemployment numbers.  Too many people are coming in for not enough jobs.  This is the opposite of what was being said in this thread, that we needed all these people to come in to increase our GDP and to take on all of the new jobs that would be available.  How exactly are we increasing our GDP when these immigrants are at home unemployed and collecting government benefits just to survive?

Why don't we just admit that there is too much immigration going on and that the numbers need to be scaled back in a large way so that these people who are coming over actually have a shot at a decent life?  Also, we need more skilled workers, not people who are going to take jobs away from the 15-24 age group, as their unemployment numbers are also skyrocketing...

Not sure it "proves" anything. It's one guys opinion. I'm quite open to seeing a legitimate study on this.

The article seems weirdly focused on Indian folks to me, makes me suspicious about the intent.

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure it "proves" anything. It's one guys opinion. I'm quite open to seeing a legitimate study on this.

The article seems weirdly focused on Indian folks to me, makes me suspicious about the intent.

@Satchmo Does this qualify as a denial?  Bob is saying the article doesn’t prove anything. So he’s technically denying it’s true. 

Ate you suggesting the unemployment numbers in the article are incorrect?  What study do we actually need?  He’s focusing on the largest immigrant group which are the East Indians. They are the ones most affected by the rapid immigration.