Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Satchmo Does this qualify as a denial?  Bob is saying the article doesn’t prove anything. So he’s technically denying it’s true. 

Ate you suggesting the unemployment numbers in the article are incorrect?  What study do we actually need?  He’s focusing on the largest immigrant group which are the East Indians. They are the ones most affected by the rapid immigration. 

No, it does not.   Bob is voicing his opinion on another person's opinion.  That's what we do here.

I have seen some posts where someone mentions they feel another poster has put to much blame on the countries' problems on immigration. Immigration's become a problem (IMO) by way of too much to fast.  We must have immigration but let's make sure we have the infrastructure to support the numbers we let in.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

@Satchmo Does this qualify as a denial?  Bob is saying the article doesn’t prove anything. So he’s technically denying it’s true. 

Ate you suggesting the unemployment numbers in the article are incorrect?  What study do we actually need?  He’s focusing on the largest immigrant group which are the East Indians. They are the ones most affected by the rapid immigration. 

Nice try. How about posting more than an opinion piece.

Also suggesting that the Indian diaspora is somehow more effected than any other individual immigrant is really misleading, and yep makes me suspicious.

Why is this author trying to piss off the Indian diaspora? 

Edited by Bob Long

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

"Canada's unemployment story is less about job losses and more about population growth. Immigration is rising much faster than the country's economic capacity to create jobs, leading to much higher unemployment for new immigrants and young adults competing for similar roles," wrote Canadian outlet, Better Dwelling.

This is the important thing to me, and it's a huge multi-faceted problem. I think we need to work towards improving that capacity. Two reasons that pop to mind (but not limited to) that we need to address are:

• The government (liberal and conservative) need to keep real estate prices high due to the financial interests of the landlord voting base and themselves, raising the cost of rent and living for new immigrants.
  • The Provincial (mainly conservative) failure to properly fund the healthcare and education infrastructure to induce privatization

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

I can field this one: Because PeePee has repeated over and over that he will axe that tax, (carbon pricing), and since 80% of the common people out there get more back than it costs them, that is specifically saying he will give Corporations that tax break.

Your followup, "along with rich people" also very easily spoted in Monsieur Poutine's greatest hits. If the extra bit tacked onto the Capital Gains tax only kicks in after the first 2.5 million in profits, (ergo: the seller is now RICH if they weren't already) is going to be UNDONE by a Conservative Majority Government, then clearly the guy who has been at the public teat since 2004 is going to give that tax break to the RICH. 

Reading comprehension for the win. When someone tells you who they are, believe them. 

Oh and lastly: Trickle Down economics was debunked over 20 years ago. ( I know because I just qualified for thousands in a DRIP from my loblaws stonks now one of the highest paying dividends on the TSX) Sorry, I too think Regan was a great actor and popular star, but his economics theory was thinly veiled policy that gave his rich donors massive financial advantages, and had nothing to do with the Labour in the country. 

EDIT: just wanted to also say your one of the posters I really appreciate here on the site, we disagree politically, but I do appreciate you and your opinions, despite not seeing eye to eye. Thought I should mention that. Too much hostility here on the forums for my liking.

The very real truth is Canadian Politics is this: 

LEFT-----MIDDLE-----RIGHT

compared to this global Policits spectrum:
EXTREME LEFT------------------------LEFT----------------------------MIDDLE--------------------------RIGHT------------------EXTREME RIGHT

SO even within our tribal choices here in Canada, we are pretty much all still cousins. 

I recall Vaughn Palmer talking to Simi on CKNW when there was an uproar over the carbon tax increase, he said something that struck me, about 60% of British Columbians do not qualify for the carbon tax rebate here because it's provincial. Just pointing this out.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

I recall Vaughn Palmer talking to Simi on CKNW when there was an uproar over the carbon tax increase, he said something that struck me, about 60% of British Columbians do not qualify for the carbon tax rebate here because it's provincial. Just pointing this out.

Carbon tax was always a revenue grab IMHO. If it had gone into a reserve fund that was transparent I might have thought otherwise. If for example money was spent from such a fund to help people buy Heat pumps or a/c then OK. That said I know some people who have got such equipment that could have paid for it themselves. 

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

No, it does not.   Bob is voicing his opinion on another person's opinion.  That's what we do here.

I have seen some posts where someone mentions they feel another poster has put to much blame on the countries' problems on immigration. Immigration's become a problem (IMO) by way of too much to fast.  We must have immigration but let's make sure we have the infrastructure to support the numbers we let in.

So we all agree then that rapid immigration is a problem and needs to be scaled back in a large way and that there has been too much immigration over the last 5 years?  

On 7/12/2024 at 10:03 AM, Warhippy said:

Oh thank the gods that Toronto wasn't unaffordable and didn't have a housing issue back in July 2015 and it was ONLY created after October 2015

Clears it all up.  Trust a real estate agent to be honest and forthcoming about housing issues in Canada

Too busy lining his pockets. There was a guy who my friend worked for. He moved to the interior became a real estate agent. Now he's a developer.

He is constantly bitching about the Libs. When we point how how he can be pro-environment, and his right wing opinions mesh? He gets all quiet and goes bashing

the Left on a different topic.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Immigrants in Canada face worst job crisis in 10 years. Indians likely hit hard (msn.com)

Immigrants in Canada face worst job crisis in 10 years. Indians likely hit hard

Immigrants who moved to Canada eyeing a better life are grappling with the worst job crisis in a decade. The unemployment rate for recent immigrants in the last five years was 12.6% in June, the worst in 10 years. Indians, being the biggest national cohort to get permanent residency in Canada, are likely to be the worst hit.

The unemployment rate of 12.6% is four percentage points lower than 2023, according to Statistics Canada.

The unemployment rate for those who were originally from Canada was 5.5%. In 2023, it was 5%.

These latest numbers show the unemployment rate among immigrants is the largest since 2014, according to a Globe and Mail report.

Indians are one of the largest group of immigrants who have become permanent residents (PRs) in Canada over the past five years.

WHY INDIAN IMMIGRANTS ARE LIKELY TO HAVE BEEN HIT

In 2023, out of the 471,810 new permanent residents, Indians were 139,785 or nearly 30%.

Since 2019, according to data from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), of the new permanent residents, 1,841,250, Indians were 514,435 in number.

"There were 1.4 million unemployed people in June 2024, an increase of 42,000 (+3.1%) from the previous month," Statistics Canada revealed in a recent report.

The companies in Canada are struggling with high interest rates, and they have become more hesitant to hire in the last two years. The Canadian population has increased due to a strong influx of immigrants.

"The record surge in immigration has meant that even the healthy pace of job growth over the past year has fallen well short of what would have been needed to keep the unemployment rate steady," Royce Mendes and Tiago Figueiredo, economists at Desjardins Securities, said in a research note on July 9.

YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT IN CANADA A CHALLENGE FOR INDIAN STUDENTS

The job market is not just harsh on newcomers. The youth unemployment rate is also at a high at 13.6%, the highest since 2016.

This has led to a decline in interest in Indian students coming to Canada. Indians made up the largest national cohort with 37% of study visas issued in 2023, but they are not applying to Canada in equally large numbers any more.

Although the number is declining, Indian students make up 41% of Canada's international students. Now, they will enter the job market and challenges await them.

Desjardins Economists are saying that the labour market is going well for people who are already employed but not for those who are seeking a job.

"Canada's unemployment story is less about job losses and more about population growth. Immigration is rising much faster than the country's economic capacity to create jobs, leading to much higher unemployment for new immigrants and young adults competing for similar roles," wrote Canadian outlet, Better Dwelling.

Assuming the numbers provided are accurate, I didn't fact check the post however. 

The assumption that Indian immigrants to Canada have a 12.6% unemployment rate compared to the national 5.5% would mean that of the 514 thousand recent newcomers from India, 36, 526 are unemployed 'above' the 5.5% national average, which accounts for 28,294 of them. 

So this whole article really aiming at 'why we need less visible minority foreigners'  whole premise  is that : Because look 36.5 thousand of them are not working right now, but please ignore that in one month the economy added 42,000 jobs, don't look over there because it doesn't support our narrative. Also: wow 'job makers' really don't like minorities, it is almost as if they might be racially biased!

• ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, DSVII said:

This is the important thing to me, and it's a huge multi-faceted problem. I think we need to work towards improving that capacity. Two reasons that pop to mind (but not limited to) that we need to address are:

• The government (liberal and conservative) need to keep real estate prices high due to the financial interests of the landlord voting base and themselves, raising the cost of rent and living for new immigrants.
  • The Provincial (mainly conservative) failure to properly fund the healthcare and education infrastructure to induce privatization

Yeah, God forbid people are able to afford a home bigger that 300 sq. ft.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So we all agree then that rapid immigration is a problem and needs to be scaled back in a large way and that there has been too much immigration over the last 5 years?  

I'm not sure what to make of this. Are you implying that when there is something both you and I share a somewhat similar view on it means 'we all agree'?

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

At first yeah, but now...

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/bc-carbon-tax-credits-flowing-eligible-bank-accounts

The threshold for qualifying for the quarterly credits depends on household makeup. A family of four with a net income below $107,688 should expect to get a full or partial credit, while individuals with net income below $66,271 qualify for a full or partial credit.

The amount of the credit also goes up starting this month. Families that got $890 in the 2023-24 fiscal year will now get $1,005, while an individual who got $447 last year will now receive $504.

The ministry estimates about two million families and individuals — 65 per cent of the population — will get at least some of the tax credit in 2024-25. The goal is to include 80 per cent of individuals and families by 2030.

But it's still not 80% and if you do get it, it's partial. The article says 65 percent of the population. I'm totally cool with paying for a carbon tax if it would go towards helping us reduce our footprint. I get some of it is going towards subsidies towards heat pumps and EV credits, but I keep hearing about the crunch coming for Translink. Where is the good meaningful well thought out transit? We are told that we got to get out of our cars but unaffordable housing is pushing us further out making us rely on cars more. If I'm paying a carbon tax I want to see something tangible that helps us all reduce our footprint. I pay a TON in carbon tax but I keep hearing that there's no money to keep existing services going.

***Forgot to quote Optimist Prime

Edited by BabyCakes
Forgot a quote

15 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I'm not sure what to make of this. Are you implying that when there is something both you and I share a somewhat similar view on it means 'we all agree'?

Are you backtracking on your comment then and implying not everyone agrees?

1 hour ago, Satchmo said:

Who hasn't?

54 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nice try. How about posting more than an opinion piece.

Also suggesting that the Indian diaspora is somehow more effected than any other individual immigrant is really misleading, and yep makes me suspicious.

Why is this author trying to piss off the Indian diaspora? 

The author is India Today News out of India.  Maybe they have a concern for their people coming over to Canada and being unemployed?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Are you backtracking on your comment then and implying not everyone agrees?

I am confused but mostly with the wording used.  Perhaps 'we both agree' to an extent.   I'm not sure how 'we all agree' unless of course you and I are the only ones whose opinions really count.

Now, I can see how that might be said about my opinions but I'm not so sure about yours.  🤣

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

I am confused but mostly with the wording used.  Perhaps 'we both agree' to an extent.   I'm not sure how 'we all agree' unless of course you and I are the only ones whose opinions really count.

Now, I can see how that might be said about my opinions but I'm not so sure about yours.  🤣

We finally agree on something...   😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The author is India Today News out of India.  Maybe they have a concern for their people coming over to Canada and being unemployed?

If you ask questions about immigration the knee jerk reaction by progressives is that you are racists. How about provinces determining the number of immigrants they can absorb with jobs and available housing? Throw in a question about skills being offered.

The demographic absolutely demands immigration. It has to be a precise effort. Bottom line is that people come, their kids go to schools and those kids become a part of the Canadian mosaic.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

If you ask questions about immigration the knee jerk reaction by progressives is that you are racists. How about provinces determining the number of immigrants they can absorb with jobs and available housing? Throw in a question about skills being offered.

The demographic absolutely demands immigration. It has to be a precise effort. Bottom line is that people come, their kids go to schools and those kids become a part of the Canadian mosaic.  

I'm more concerned of immigration (Be it US or from anywhere), with folks that buy a +$2 Million dollar home. Buy two brand new BMW's. Then the Kids and one spouse stay home, kids go to school. Other spouse works overseas, the the spouse that's here collects welfare, in a home and cars I can't afford. I work in Canada and pay taxes, and they get welfare?? If I was applying for a student loan and own a car, the government would insist I sell the car before they'd give me money. But yeah it's ok to live in a multi million dollar home and collect welfare....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The whole racist card is a way for progressives to silence the other side so the issue doesn't get talked about.  How hard is it for governments both provincially and federally to figure out how many jobs are needed in each province and how much housing is available and then use those numbers for their immigration targets?

The reason the federal government doesn't do this is because they are using immigration as a political tool to get votes.  The more immigration the better, regardless of whether there are actual jobs and housing available for these people when they arrive.  Then when the unemployment and housing numbers come out and they get called out on it, they change their tune, again for political reasons, and start to scale back as they are doing now.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm more concerned of immigration (Be it US or from anywhere), with folks that buy a +$2 Million dollar home. Buy two brand new BMW's. Then the Kids and one spouse stay home, kids go to school. Other spouse works overseas, the the spouse that's here collects welfare, in a home and cars I can't afford. I work in Canada and pay taxes, and they get welfare?? If I was applying for a student loan and own a car, the government would insist I sell the car before they'd give me money. But yeah it's ok to live in a multi million dollar home and collect welfare....

Not OK. You could also ask whether the income being earned outside Canada is being paid to RCA. That is if they are Canadian. You hear stories about that kind of thing, especially in North Van but, being in the country I don't see it. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The whole racist card is a way for progressives to silence the other side so the issue doesn't get talked about.  How hard is it for governments both provincially and federally to figure out how many jobs are needed in each province and how much housing is available and then use those numbers for their immigration targets?

The reason the federal government doesn't do this is because they are using immigration as a political tool to get votes.  The more immigration the better, regardless of whether there are actual jobs and housing available for these people when they arrive.  The when the unemployment and housing numbers come out and they get called out on it, they change their tune, again for political reasons, and start to scale back as they are doing now.  

I've heard this argument lots and kinda feel it's played out. Things are trending down for the Liberals. People just don't like Trudeau and no amount of immigration is going to help

• Cheers 1

Can someone please explain to me what the term 'progressive' means these days?   Or is its' definition as inexplicable as the term 'woke'? Does it just mean 'them' as opposed to someone's personal 'us'?

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The reason the federal government doesn't do this is because they are using immigration as a political tool to get votes.  The more immigration the better, regardless of whether there are actual jobs and housing available for these people when they arrive.  Then when the unemployment and housing numbers come out and they get called out on it, they change their tune, again for political reasons, and start to scale back as they are doing now.  

Here we go again..”the Federal government…” while totally ignoring the four provincial governments (all conservative at the time) that asked the Feds for increased numbers of immigrants as recently as last year. So the provincial governments ask for more immigrants and you blame Trudeau?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1