Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

But it's still not 80% and if you do get it, it's partial. The article says 65 percent of the population. I'm totally cool with paying for a carbon tax if it would go towards helping us reduce our footprint. I get some of it is going towards subsidies towards heat pumps and EV credits, but I keep hearing about the crunch coming for Translink. Where is the good meaningful well thought out transit? We are told that we got to get out of our cars but unaffordable housing is pushing us further out making us rely on cars more. If I'm paying a carbon tax I want to see something tangible that helps us all reduce our footprint. I pay a TON in carbon tax but I keep hearing that there's no money to keep existing services going.

***Forgot to quote Optimist Prime

Well at least you have moved off your declaration that 80% don't get it. I will take the win and move along.

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's right here in Richmond.

Not long ago Terra Nova, one of the areas in Richmond with new luxury homes valued at $1-3M, was the one of the "poorest" neighbourhoods according to Stats Can. Yet these mega homes have two and three luxury vehicles in the driveway. Students and homemakers "own" these homes but claim no income and get subsidies that that average working Joe just doesn't get. Husband stays overseas and works and that income is not declared.

Revenue Canada has to find a way to track this crap as we pay to subsidize these rich bastards. Yes, I'm bitter.

It's a real issue.

Rev Can likes the easy targets. The average working person who gets their money striped from their pay before they even see it. The employers do their (revcan)work for them. Yes I'm bitter as well. My better half and I never get free money from the government, while other people just get money thrown at them. I don't think they are smart enough or dedicated enough to track down overseas money.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

According to this thread, PP hasn't told us his plan yet.  So how do you know corporations are getting tax cuts along with rich people?  Also, corporations getting tax breaks means more jobs stay in Canada and the economy gets strengthened as a result.  Corporations are the ones that hire people, right?

More deceitful terminology. According to this thread? What's his platform then?

I am going by history. Every single right wing government gives tax breaks to corporations and the ultra wealthy as one of their very first moves. Do you honestly believe that Lil pp will be any different?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Well at least you have moved off your declaration that 80% don't get it. I will take the win and move along.

Please oh please don't move along

When did I say that? When did I say that 80% of people don't get it?

Ill sit and wait for your answer.

But yeah, nice dismissal from your original post that 80% get money back when they clearly don't here in BC

• Cheers 1

Shortly after PP's comment that he is glad the shooter is dead his followers in the klown Konvoy social media were swift to embass it and doubled down on wanting to execute truduea and once PP is elected to criminalize other parties .... Heck some even calling for stripping citizenship if your NDP or liberal and hoping to see re Education camps .... 

To be clear violence is not acceptable and no politician should face it or threats of violence and that includes PP and Trump .... And also truduea 

The hate that PP and Trump have seeded is creating a world we don't even recognize anymore.  Civilized people work to win elections because they feel they can do better .... Monsters work to make their people hate someone 

I wish Trump a full and speedy recovery but it's time that both PP and Trump turn down the rehtoeic so we can get back to simply disagreeing with each other instead of hating each other 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

Please oh please don't move along

When did I say that? When did I say that 80% of people don't get it?

Ill sit and wait for your answer.

But yeah, nice dismissal from your original post that 80% get money back when they clearly don't here in BC

You know how BC got a carbon tax, yes? 

11 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

I recall Vaughn Palmer talking to Simi on CKNW when there was an uproar over the carbon tax increase, he said something that struck me, about 60% of British Columbians do not qualify for the carbon tax rebate here because it's provincial. Just pointing this out.

Just since you asked me to where you said stuff: pointing out only 40% get it when it is currently 63% and rising to 80% in a little bit more time. 

I get you, no need to be angry with people, but 63% getting the rebate and growing to 80% is a lot different from 60% of BC doesn't get the rebate. 
some 2 million housholds get it right now, and BC is around 2.5 million housholds ish. That is a far cry higher than 40%. 
have a good night, that small factoid isn't worth being mad about or any more time spent on it, imo, but wanted to get back to you since you asked. 

EDIT: also it is a misunderstanding of what I said: I was trying to say that you disagreed with the idea that 80% of people get the rebate, which is the Canada wide number: as we have seen now 63% of BC folks get it now and it is growing up to 80% soon enough. I wasn't trying to say that you said only 20% of us in bc get it.

Okay, cheers have a good one.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Just since you asked me to where you said stuff: pointing out only 40% get it when it is currently 63% and rising to 80% in a little bit more time. 

I get you, no need to be angry with people, but 63% getting the rebate and growing to 80% is a lot different from 60% of BC doesn't get the rebate. 
some 2 million housholds get it right now, and BC is around 2.5 million housholds ish. That is a far cry higher than 40%. 
have a good night, that small factoid isn't worth being mad about or any more time spent on it, imo, but wanted to get back to you since you asked. 

I'm not mad, I'm just annoyed. People keep telling me that the carbon tax is revenue neutral - when it's not. Not at all. Then they throw out numbers which are kinda wrong. Growing to 80% in a bit more time when right now you say it's 63% is big gap. Right now it's no where near 80 but yet I was told it was earlier

10 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

I'm not mad, I'm just annoyed. People keep telling me that the carbon tax is revenue neutral - when it's not. Not at all. Then they throw out numbers which are kinda wrong. Growing to 80% in a bit more time when right now you say it's 63% is big gap. Right now it's no where near 80 but yet I was told it was earlier

Well, i don't know what to tell you, you are discussing things with hockey fans in a hockey forum, people generally try to be accurate but there is no way to police people's memory of events or factoids. "No one here is telling the truth" is a good rule of thumb for all social media. 63% to 80% is less incorrect than 40%. Shrug. Seriously not worth the time spent on it though. May I move on now? lmao

Rio Tinto might put a bid in on Teck Resources and an American firm is trying to but Stelco. These are fundamental industrial and resource companies that should not be allowed to fall into foreign control. Movement of investment capital is recognized by most countries but my concern is a clear Canadian position on strategic national priorities. Attracting foreign capital is important. If Canada says no to a takeover, a resource development or intellectual property leaving the country then citizens should clearly understand the background rationale. Canada has to become more aggressive in defending our national interests. 

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The interesting part to me is PP himself isn't popular - only 38% like him. But most people polled want a change. Trudeau continues to be very unpopular.

PP is vulnerable if the libs can change leaders. How much? Who knows but it's interesting that PP polls much lower than his party.

BB1q1vJE.img?w=534&h=391&m=6&x=685&y=301

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/freedom-convoy-organizer-pat-king-will-not-testify-at-his-trial-crown/ar-BB1q1H5S?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=03b67f315b8c4399b22970601e8bd4e1&ei=40#fullscreen

"

OTTAWA — The Crown attorney in the criminal mischief trial against "Freedom Convoy" organizer Pat King says the defendant will not testify.

The trial itself is also being delayed again at the request of defence lawyer Natasha Calvinho who told the judge this morning she needed an adjournment for "personal" reasons.

It is the second time this month the case has been adjourned just as Calvinho was set to call her first witness — something that now won't happen until Wednesday at the earliest.

King was a prominent figure in the convoy that gridlocked downtown Ottawa for more than three weeks in 2022 in a massive protest against COVID-19 public health restrictions, vaccine mandates and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

King pleaded not guilty to mischief, counselling others to commit mischief, obstructing police and other offences related to his role in the three-week long demonstration.

The Crown presented its case over about a two-week period in May with the evidence resting heavily on King's own videos posted online during the demonstration.

The trial is set to resume Wednesday when Justice Charles Hackland makes a decision about whether three Ottawa Police Service officers will have to testify after being subpoenaed by the defence.

The Ottawa police say the officers have no relevant evidence and have asked Hackland to quash the subpoenas.

58 minutes ago, Gurn said:

BB1q1vJE.img?w=534&h=391&m=6&x=685&y=301

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/freedom-convoy-organizer-pat-king-will-not-testify-at-his-trial-crown/ar-BB1q1H5S?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=03b67f315b8c4399b22970601e8bd4e1&ei=40#fullscreen

"

OTTAWA — The Crown attorney in the criminal mischief trial against "Freedom Convoy" organizer Pat King says the defendant will not testify.

The trial itself is also being delayed again at the request of defence lawyer Natasha Calvinho who told the judge this morning she needed an adjournment for "personal" reasons.

It is the second time this month the case has been adjourned just as Calvinho was set to call her first witness — something that now won't happen until Wednesday at the earliest.

King was a prominent figure in the convoy that gridlocked downtown Ottawa for more than three weeks in 2022 in a massive protest against COVID-19 public health restrictions, vaccine mandates and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

King pleaded not guilty to mischief, counselling others to commit mischief, obstructing police and other offences related to his role in the three-week long demonstration.

The Crown presented its case over about a two-week period in May with the evidence resting heavily on King's own videos posted online during the demonstration.

The trial is set to resume Wednesday when Justice Charles Hackland makes a decision about whether three Ottawa Police Service officers will have to testify after being subpoenaed by the defence.

The Ottawa police say the officers have no relevant evidence and have asked Hackland to quash the subpoenas.

The defense lawyer is probably desperate to resign from this case.

• Upvote 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/smith-trump-political-rhetoric-1.7263799

The link between the style of governance in North Korea and Canadian Conservatives can no longer be denied

In Canada alt right leaders condem anyone not supporting the as an extremist and wrong. They tell the masses the other side has broken and is destroying Canada and must be stopped. They support groups calling for the hanging of the other politicians , charging them with treason and other offences.

They regularly support groups advocating violence against political groups they feel are not conservative and the abolishment of news media that doesn't run all news in their favour 

This isn't kinda like North Korea . .. this is lock step in line with North Korea 

The roots to the extremests groups in Canada that are enforcing over throw by violence If needed are conservative ... Not liberal or NDP .....    It is the alt right government of Canada that need to tune it down .... This is 100% on them and Smith is such a disgrace to plead otherwise 

• Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/smith-trump-political-rhetoric-1.7263799

The link between the style of governance in North Korea and Canadian Conservatives can no longer be denied

In Canada alt right leaders condem anyone not supporting the as an extremist and wrong. They tell the masses the other side has broken and is destroying Canada and must be stopped. They support groups calling for the hanging of the other politicians , charging them with treason and other offences.

They regularly support groups advocating violence against political groups they feel are not conservative and the abolishment of news media that doesn't run all news in their favour 

This isn't kinda like North Korea . .. this is lock step in line with North Korea 

The roots to the extremests groups in Canada that are enforcing over throw by violence If needed are conservative ... Not liberal or NDP .....    It is the alt right government of Canada that need to tune it down .... This is 100% on them and Smith is such a disgrace to plead otherwise 

Your rhetoric screams extremist left wing.  Also a very dangerous group.  

So you call out dangerous rhetoric and then follow it up by comparing the Canadian Conservatives to a North Korean regime?  You really think the temperature would be turned down if everyone talked like that?

Edited by bolt

Fuck when Trudeau goes luxury, he really goes luxury, I'm impressed!!!  Great long term investment property IMO.  Right in the heart of Manhattan!!!

Trudeau government spends $9 million on luxury condo for New York Consul General (msn.com)

Trudeau government spends $9 million on luxury condo for New York Consul General

According to numerous sources, the Liberal government has purchased a 3,600-square-foot condo in the New York neighbourhood known as Billionaire’s Row to serve as the new official residence of Tom Clark, the Consul General of Canada in New York.

The property is on the 11th floor of 111 West 57th Street, just south of Central Park in Manhattan. The price was US$6.6 million, or about $9 million Canadian, though the real estate site StreetEasy notes that as recently as September of 2022 the unit had been listed at more than US$10 million.

Edited by Elias Pettersson