Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

It is our federal government that looks the other way when soft wood lumber is on the table. It is a chip they are prepared to sacrifice. Pretty obvious after this many years. 

And what lever are the feds not pulling on purpose? 

This is for whoever the poster was that recently blamed Trudeau for all the car thefts in Canada:

Car theft finally decelerating in Canada after surge — a ‘positive sign’

A new report published by the non-profit Équité Association on Tuesday showed a 17 per cent national decline in auto theft in the first six months of 2024, compared with the same period last year.

Équité said this promising trend can be attributed to the collaborative efforts of the federal and provincial governments, law enforcement agencies, the Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA) and the insurance industry.

Over the past year, the federal government, along with law enforcement agencies, border officials and other industry stakeholders, have stepped up efforts to curb vehicle theft in the country.

A national summit on combatting auto theft was held in Ottawa in February to address the problem.

The federal government unveiled an action plan in May, including measures and funding announced in the weeks since the summit was held.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10627027/car-theft-canada-2024/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Canada has spent $9 million for a luxury condo in Manhattan to be used as the official residence for its consul general in New York.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-drops-9m-on-nyc-luxury-condo-for-consul-general-s-official-residence-1.6965835

And conservatives continue to flame the seeds of division 

The purchase provided a 2 million dollar savings over renovating the current place. A quick google shows sites at the old building going for 4 mill for a studio up to 19 million for a 3 bedroom .... And all three for sale are in need of updating 

The 9 million is the cost of doing business in the core of new York and just like the old site the new one will hold high value ensuring that purchasing although more upfront is a better business decision and the proper corse

So question .... Do conservatives know this and are just trying to divide us ? Or are conservatives that bad in money management that they don't get the concept that sometimes its cheaper to buy then lease ?

its all just rage bait out of the CPC now. 

18 minutes ago, Sapper said:

Canada has spent $9 million for a luxury condo in Manhattan to be used as the official residence for its consul general in New York.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-drops-9m-on-nyc-luxury-condo-for-consul-general-s-official-residence-1.6965835

The purchase provided a 2 million dollar savings over renovating the current place. A quick google shows sites at the old building going for 4 mill for a studio up to 19 million for a 3 bedroom .... And all three for sale are in need of updating 

The 9 million is the cost of doing business in the core of new York and just like the old site the new one will hold high value ensuring that purchasing although more upfront is a better business decision and the proper corse

So question .... Do conservatives know this and are just trying to divide us ? Or are conservatives that bad in money management that they don't get the concept that sometimes its cheaper to buy then lease ?

Additionally the current site by central park is part of the same area and is just as pricy and has been in place and used for the entirety of Mulroney and Harper's terms as well as several Liberals 

Was not an issue 

Don't worry.  The corp. media will accurately report on CON excesses when the CONs defund the CBC.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/i-cant-wait-to-defund-the-cbc-pierre-poilievre-doubles-down-on-plan-to-axe-cbc-after-board-approves-bonuses

'I can’t wait to defund the CBC': Pierre Poilievre doubles down on plan to axe CBC after board approves bonuses

• Vintage 1

In that article is lists that the current site has not been updated since 1982 ...... I would suggest that the current place probably should have been flipped or updated under Harper at the very least and we got our full value out of for sure 

It's clear conservatives have zero clue on how actual business runs.  Billionaires and politicians are not traveling to the outskirts of new York to a legion hall room rental to do business.  Unless your located where it's convenient for them it's pointless

It's hard to tell what is just plain hate vs incompetence with PP 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Sapper said:

In that article is lists that the current site has not been updated since 1982 ...... I would suggest that the current place probably should have been flipped or updated under Harper at the very least and we got our full value out of for sure 

It's clear conservatives have zero clue on how actual business runs.  Billionaires and politicians are not traveling to the outskirts of new York to a legion hall room rental to do business.  Unless your located where it's convenient for them it's pointless

It's hard to tell what is just plain hate vs incompetence with PP 

PP will just convene a convoy in central park.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

Countries that eliminate news that does not support them are not countries that have democratic foundations

Countries that only permit news media that supports them ..... Are the same countries we condem for their undemocratic movements. The CBC would have been de headed ... Er defunded long ago in China , Russia , north Korea ......

But eliminating opposing  views and voices is not hate right ?

Media companies should not be funded to the extent of CBC by tax dollars especially if they are going to be giving themselves big bonuses. Other media companies are able to generate their own revenue and profit. CBC has had been trash for a while, their programs are not good and behind the times. Not many would lose sleep is CBC ceased to exist. Eliminating them and not giving them free money should not be the same thing. I would be fine with a smaller subsidy but CBC gets 70% of its Revenue free from tax payers (over 1 billion dollars).    

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Sapper said:

Additionally the current site by central park is part of the same area and is just as pricy and has been in place and used for the entirety of Mulroney and Harper's terms as well as several Liberals 

Was not an issue 

Is this a time share? Do we all get a weekend, or..?

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Don't worry.  The corp. media will accurately report on CON excesses when the CONs defund the CBC.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/i-cant-wait-to-defund-the-cbc-pierre-poilievre-doubles-down-on-plan-to-axe-cbc-after-board-approves-bonuses

'I can’t wait to defund the CBC': Pierre Poilievre doubles down on plan to axe CBC after board approves bonuses

Harper said what? 

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Media companies should not be funded to the extent of CBC by tax dollars especially if they are going to be giving themselves big bonuses. Other media companies are able to generate their own revenue and profit. CBC has had been trash for a while, their programs are not good and behind the times. Not many would lose sleep is CBC ceased to exist. Eliminating them and not giving them free money should not be the same thing. I would be fine with a smaller subsidy but CBC gets 70% of its Revenue free from tax payers (over 1 billion dollars).    

Summit 1972, Net Worth, Keep Your Head up Kid are all pretty good hockey related shows that we have thanks to CBC.  The last one got Jared Keeso a Gemini award; he's parlayed that into two excellent Canadian made shows in Letterkenny and Shoresy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Polls are suggesting the GOP will win POTUS, Congress and the Senate. Trump will not be facing any restraint in foreign relations. He represents a nationalist movement in the USA which will have a bottom line that favors the USA. I fear for the economic future of Canada and the associated living standards we enjoy. 

Trump will ignore NAFTA and laugh at any Canadian concerns. He will view Canada as has most USA administrations through the years. Resources will still get entry based on USA need but as cheaply as USA markets can make them. Energy in Western Canada should still be OK. Eastern Canada will be devastated IMHO. I suspect the Americans will turn their backs on whatever vestiges of AutoPact still remain in NAFTA. The Canadian tech industry centered in Ontario has serious cred. Expect American tech industry to raid them away. 

Is there a Canadian counter to these threats? Not much. Canadians are raised on the expectation that the USA will take care of us. We have abdicated our defense and our basic economy to their needs. If Canada is to counter this American threat it will require a national will that currently does not exist. It will require a protectionist stance that will defend vital Canadian economic interests. It will require a massive investment in Canadian industry.  

14 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I agree CBC isn't very good, but it also doesn't have to be that way. BBC and PBS eg are really good.

Skippy doesn't want to improve CBC, he wants to eliminate one source of "lefty" news.

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Polls are suggesting the GOP will win POTUS, Congress and the Senate. Trump will not be facing any restraint in foreign relations. He represents a nationalist movement in the USA which will have a bottom line that favors the USA. I fear for the economic future of Canada and the associated living standards we enjoy. 

Trump will ignore NAFTA and laugh at any Canadian concerns. He will view Canada as has most USA administrations through the years. Resources will still get entry based on USA need but as cheaply as USA markets can make them. Energy in Western Canada should still be OK. Eastern Canada will be devastated IMHO. I suspect the Americans will turn their backs on whatever vestiges of AutoPact still remain in NAFTA. The Canadian tech industry centered in Ontario has serious cred. Expect American tech industry to raid them away. 

Is there a Canadian counter to these threats? Not much. Canadians are raised on the expectation that the USA will take care of us. We have abdicated our defense and our basic economy to their needs. If Canada is to counter this American threat it will require a national will that currently does not exist. It will require a protectionist stance that will defend vital Canadian economic interests. It will require a massive investment in Canadian industry.  

So much fear. It's odd you have so little confidence in our ability to maintain trade with the US. 

Why would trump and Vance want to gut the Ohio economy eg?

16 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I disagree.  We need to encourage Canadian identity and culture especially music.  I guess you never watched Shitts Creek?  Son of Critch?  Kim's Convience? Working Mom's? 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I disagree.  We need to encourage Canadian identity and culture especially music.  I guess you never watched Shitts Creek?  Son of Critch?  Kim's Convience? Working Mom's? 

Who needs the slow trickle of Canadiana when you can just be force-fed American pop culture and values through their firehose of signal and noise?  :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

16 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not many would lose sleep is CBC ceased to exist. 

It depends who you talk to.  I suspect those who you are talking and listening to would not.

22 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My wife like Schitts Creek, but would have watched it on like Netflix or something not directly on CBC. Too much other quality programming out there these days. Just get Rogers to buy CBC problem solved, they have bought everything else.

Edited by Bure_Pavel

23 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My wife like Schitts Creek, but would have watched it on like Netflix or something not directly on CBC. Too much other quality programming out there these days. Just get Rogers to buy CBC problem solved, they have bought everything else.

Without CBC, it wouldn't have been made, so she wouldn't have watched it on Netflix.  Inviting an organization best known for extorting its customers to buy CBC is ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Without CBC, it wouldn't have been made, so she wouldn't have watched it on Netflix.  Inviting an organization best known for extorting its customers to buy CBC is ridiculous.

I know but what I'm saying is that one show is not worth 1.5 billion in tax dollars per year. That's like 2-3 extras hospitals they could build per year. 

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I know but what I'm saying is that one show is not worth 1.5 billion in tax dollars per year. That's like 2-3 extras hospitals they could build per year. 

Do the Feds build hospitals, or is that provincial jurisdiction?

• Upvote 1