1 minute ago, BabyCakes said:

Interesting though

PP career politician = bad

Trudeau non career politician = good

but in the States

Biden career politician = good

Trump non career politician = bad

The upside down world

It has everything to do with behaviour, beliefs and track record.

Here in canada, trudeau won because people were voting out Harper as much as they were voting for his name.

In the US people were voting for trump because they're stupid.  Wait no sorry, because reality TV made them stupid enough to ignore his rhetoric and they hated Hillary.  

Pierre has a clear voting history and track record for being in office and many of the things he is complaining about or pointing the finger over are the same failures and issues that happened while his party held majorities.

I would also point out that people are being very vocal about wanting both Trudeau and Biden to step down.

• Cheers 3

Labour minister Seamus O'Regan leaving cabinet

St. John's MP plans to stay in Parliament until next federal election

david-cochrane.jpg
David Cochrane, Michael Woods · CBC News · Posted: Jul 18, 2024 8:25 AM PDT | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
Labour and Seniors Minister  Seamus O'Regan during a news conference, in Ottawa, Wednesday, May 1, 2024.
Labour and Seniors Minister Seamus O'Regan during a news conference in Ottawa on Wednesday, May 1, 2024. (Adrian Wyld/The Canadian Press)

Federal Labour Minister Seamus O'Regan is resigning from cabinet, CBC News has learned.

O'Regan, 53, is stepping down for family reasons, sources said. The Newfoundland and Labrador MP is planning to stay on as a member of Parliament until the next federal election but won't seek re-election, the sources added.

The government is expected to announce his replacement in cabinet on Friday.

O'Regan was elected to Parliament in 2015 as the MP for St. John's South-Mount Pearl. He has been in cabinet since 2017 and has also held the natural resources, Indigenous services and veterans affairs portfolios. He took over as labour minister in 2021.

Before entering politics, O'Regan was a host of the CTV morning show Canada AM and a national correspondent for the network.

O'Regan is also a longtime friend of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. O'Regan was in Trudeau's wedding party in 2005.

Trudeau and his cabinet are scheduled to meet on Friday. Sources told CBC News the meeting is expected to be quick and virtual, and focus on clearing up unfilled appointments.

The cabinet meeting is the first since the Liberals' surprising byelection loss to the Conservatives in Toronto-St. Paul's, a riding that previously had been a stronghold for the party.

More to come ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/oregan-leaving-cabinet-1.7267551

18 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Interesting though

but in the States

The upside down world

What does that comment have to do with the contents of the image in the post you replied to?

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

What does that comment have to do with the contents of the image in the post you replied to?

Because if you have read back he has been a critic of PP for being a career politician, who is out of touch with the reality of what most average people have to go through(just paying bills and navigating life) which I agree.

Just thought it was worth pointing out that in the US it's essentially the opposite

21 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Also reading between the lines, he was one of JT's biggest supporters.  One by one they're existing stage left.

it makes a convenient hole in cabinet.... hey Mark. 

2 minutes ago, BabyCakes said:

Because if you have read back he has been a critic of PP for being a career politician, who is out of touch with the reality of what most average people have to go through(just paying bills and navigating life) which I agree.

Just thought it was worth pointing out that in the US it's essentially the opposite

PP's professional history is one thing.  How he has voted is another.

Everyone is entitled to their point of view.   It's just that where and how you voiced yours seemed a bit weird to me so I asked.  

Just now, Bob Long said:

it makes a convenient hole in cabinet.... hey Mark. 

So then Freeland becomes DepPM & Labour, while Carney becomes Finance?  Or does some other current Minister get the Labour file and Freeland gets that other file?

2 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Everyone is entitled to their point of view.   It's just that where and how you voiced yours seemed a bit weird to me so I asked.  

The reason why people bring up PPs professional history is because JT's professional history gets brought up all the time.  It also gets brought up because PPs supporters think he's some silver bullet that will change things since the oft used talking point is that JT has destroyed Canada.  That's why.

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

PP's combined voting and professional career has been questioned here. That's why I made what I thought was a interesting comparison.

Just now, the destroyer of worlds said:

The reason why people bring up PPs professional history is because JT's professional history gets brought up all the time.  It also gets brought up because PPs supporters think he's some silver bullet that will change things since the oft used talking point is that JT has destroyed Canada.  That's why.

My huge ego compels me to say: This I know.   😉   (I think that battle will not be won.)

My post was more a statement on sensible posting and a hope that replies will actually correspond to the post being replied to rather than just chirp.  Maybe I hope for too much but it's a somewhat anal pet peeve of mine.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I think people on the right need to understand the true state of todays partisan climate.

I don't see anyone in the centre or on the left committing to this behaviour.  I don't mean to say they don't but I don't see it or hear of it if they do on any sort of level in comparison to todays right.

"tone down the rhetoric" and all that today's right say after the Trump-cident but they refuse to accept they are part of the problem

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mp-wants-protective-zones-around-offices-1.7267493

Former public safety minister Marco Mendicino is calling for the creation of "protective zones" around political constituency offices to shield members of Parliament and their staff from a rising tide of threatening behaviour.

Mendicino, a Toronto Liberal MP, said under the plan, anyone who intimidated or otherwise harassed people within the buffer zone of perhaps 50 to 100 metres would be subject to harsher criminal penalties including jail time.

In an interview with The Canadian Press, Mendicino suggested spelling out such zones in regulations that will flow from the recently passed foreign interference bill, which contains new measures to protect essential infrastructure.

The former minister's comments come as the attempted assassination of former U.S. president Donald Trump prompts renewed concern and discussion about the safety of Canadian politicians.

It sounds more like they want a shield from people criticizing them to their face/protesting outside their office and want the ability to jail them for it. If someone is actually harassing them or threating them they should call the police its already against the law. MPs and staff should have the same rights as all citizens, they don't need special protections and no one is trying to assassinate them haha.     

Edited by Bure_Pavel

4 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It sounds more like they want a shield from people criticizing them to their face/protesting outside their office and want the ability to jail them for it. If someone is actually harassing them or threating them they should call the police its already against the law. MPs and staff should have the same rights as all citizens, they don't need special protections and no one is trying to assassinate them haha.     

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/7/7/canadian-man-faces-weapons-charges-in-attack-on-pm-trudeaus-home

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

‘Without consequence’: Intelligence memos warn of runaway political violence online

Canadian intelligence officials say threatening rhetoric is increasingly seen as a legitimate way to express frustrations, grievances and dissent, fuelling a surge of often violent threats against elected and public officials.

The documents raise yet more questions about how social media companies, police and political parties should respond to online violence, with security officials warning that it can lead to real-world physical harm.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10604230/online-threats-violence-politicians-canada/

Or, if you prefer the NP to the CBC:

Threats against politicians becoming increasingly prevalent, intelligence report says

The task force weighed the possible threat from violent extremism driven by politics, religion and ideology

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/threats-against-politicians-becoming-increasingly-prevalent-intelligence-report-says

6 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

‘Without consequence’: Intelligence memos warn of runaway political violence online

Canadian intelligence officials say threatening rhetoric is increasingly seen as a legitimate way to express frustrations, grievances and dissent, fuelling a surge of often violent threats against elected and public officials.

The documents raise yet more questions about how social media companies, police and political parties should respond to online violence, with security officials warning that it can lead to real-world physical harm.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10604230/online-threats-violence-politicians-canada/

Or, if you prefer the NP to the CBC:

Threats against politicians becoming increasingly prevalent, intelligence report says

The task force weighed the possible threat from violent extremism driven by politics, religion and ideology

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/threats-against-politicians-becoming-increasingly-prevalent-intelligence-report-says

Many, posts, responding to National Post or Sun 'news sites' are examples of this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

Interesting though

but in the States

The upside down world

Trump was campaigning as an outsider from the Washington career politican and promising to drain the swamp. That was a major part of his appeal.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The body count on Canadian politicians are hitting new records? Mics being put in their faces is now assault?

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The body count on Canadian politicians are hitting new records? Mics being put in their faces is now assault?

The most devastating form of violence, internet violence. Time to write up some new laws to protect our most vulnerable demographic..... politicians.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Does somebody have to be shot before we concern ourselves?

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

29 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The most devastating form of violence, internet violence. Time to write up some new laws to protect our most vulnerable demographic..... politicians.

I think this refers more to crowds throwing stones at politicians or crashing your truck into the PM's residence loaded with weapons

At 50 to 100 metres I'm confident Trudeau can still hear the shouts of anyone who wishes to fuck him.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So then Freeland becomes DepPM & Labour, while Carney becomes Finance?  Or does some other current Minister get the Labour file and Freeland gets that other file?

Could be. Carney could also get Treasury.

12 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I think this refers more to crowds throwing stones at politicians or crashing your truck into the PM's residence loaded with weapons

At 50 to 100 metres I'm confident Trudeau can still hear the shouts of anyone who wishes to fuck him.

Stones at politicians or crashing your truck into the PM's residence loaded with weapons these would be assault and other felony charges already no need to upgrade them to murder charges. The stones in this case was actually gravel, every kid who grew up in the 90's got assaulted by this daily on the playgrounds. 50 meters is more than half a football field. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Stones at politicians or crashing your truck into the PM's residence loaded with weapons these would be assault and other felony charges already no need to upgrade them to murder charges. The stones in this case was actually gravel, every kid who grew up in the 90's got assaulted by this daily on the playgrounds. 50 meters is more than half a football field. 

No one is suggesting murder charges for throwing rocks, but these pieces of shit still belong in prison.