Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

6 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Stones at politicians or crashing your truck into the PM's residence loaded with weapons these would be assault and other felony charges already no need to upgrade them to murder charges. The stones in this case was actually gravel, every kid who grew up in the 90's got assaulted by this daily on the playgrounds. 50 meters is more than half a football field. 

yea... if someone on the left threw rocks at PP you'd be pissed. 

4 hours ago, BabyCakes said:

Interesting though

PP career politician = bad

Trudeau non career politician = good

but in the States

Biden career politician = good

Trump non career politician = bad

The upside down world

I mean if you honestly can't see the differences between and Biden and Trudeau and I'm not a fan of either and Trump and PP then we can't help you. 

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

We've got to strengthen our southern border!!!  

We'll be getting the best educated ones.  We really need to be getting ready for refugees in the event of Trump getting to commit the atrocities that he plans on.

Just now, King Heffy said:

We'll be getting the best educated ones.  We really need to be getting ready for refugees in the event of Trump getting to commit the atrocities that he plans on.

C'mon Heffy, you know I wasn't really serious.  I'm proud of Canada's tradition of taking in refugees from nations with repressive governments.  🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

C'mon Heffy, you know I wasn't really serious.  I'm proud of Canada's tradition of taking in refugees from nations with repressive governments.  🤣

I'm not kidding.  We'd be smart to get ready to expedite the process, especially for women who need abortions and minorities.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

It sounds more like they want a shield from people criticizing them to their face/protesting outside their office and want the ability to jail them for it. If someone is actually harassing them or threating them they should call the police its already against the law. MPs and staff should have the same rights as all citizens, they don't need special protections and no one is trying to assassinate them haha.     

I mean...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/corey-hurren-stormed-rideau-hall-granted-conditional-release-1.7264186

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I meant other than Trudeau of course, because that guy is not well liked. I would assume he has the Canadian equivalent to the secret service though. I also assume there is already pretty strict laws about attempting to attack the prime minister of Canada. Hurren got sentenced to 6 years in prison back in 2021. 

Let's all complain about this now....

Canada selling one New York apartment to cover cost of new $9M condo

Global Affairs Canada says the sale of one of its apartments in New York City is expected to cover the cost of a brand-new luxury condo it recently purchased for $9 million.

The Canadian government owns two apartments in a Park Avenue building in Manhattan, one of which is currently used as the official residence for the consul general in New York.

The second apartment is used by Bob Rae, Canada's ambassador to the United Nations.

Global Affairs Canada says the former is being readied for sale, but won't disclose what the listed price will be.

A spokesperson says the new condo was bought because the old unit isn't up to code and doesn't meet the department's standards.

Ottawa revealed it was behind the recent condo purchase after New York real-estate circles speculated that King Charles himself bought the unit — since language on the deed cites "His Majesty the King in right of Canada."

The Opposition Conservatives have made hay over the price tag, with leader Pierre Poilievre vowing to fire consul general and former media personality Tom Clark if he becomes prime minister.

(I posted the complete article. some pics here)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/global-affairs-canada-new-york-consul-condo-1.7268348

41 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I meant other than Trudeau of course, because that guy is not well liked. I would assume he has the Canadian equivalent to the secret service though. I also assume there is already pretty strict laws about attempting to attack the prime minister of Canada. Hurren got sentenced to 6 years in prison back in 2021. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mp-threats-safety-panic-buttons-1.6496243

"One MP said he's forwarded 20 death threats to the police

'

Members of Parliament told CBC News stories of harassment and threats directed at them just a day after the government announced that MPs would be getting personal panic buttons.

The buttons, also called "mobile duress alarms," can be used to alert the Parliamentary Protective Service (PPS) or local police.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said this week that his office, the PPS and law enforcement are reviewing security for parliamentarians after a number of threatening incidents this year. Mendicino said he's received multiple death threats through social media.

He's not the only one.

Liberal MP Chris Bittle would not say whether he's carrying a panic button. He said he's received around 20 death threats, all of which he's forwarded to the police. He said there have been a few convictions as a result.

Bittle said the threats came as a surprise to him when he entered politics.

"I knew people would be angry with us. I didn't expect all of the death threats," he said.

"There's a lot of angry people out there. And there's a lot of political language, including words like 'traitor,' which are freely used including by politicians.

"If you believe someone to be a traitor or worse … that could lead to violence."

WATCH Trudeau, Public Safety minister and MPs talk about panic buttons:

default.jpg?im=Crop%2Crect%3D%280%2C0%2C

Trudeau, Public Safety minister and MPs talk about panic buttons

2 years ago
Duration2:53
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, NDP MP Heather McPherson and Conservative MP Ben Lobb discuss whether members of Parliament need panic buttons.

Liberal MP Judy Sgro said that she feels the threats and harassment being directed at MPs are "much worse" now than in previous years.

She suggested the anti-vaccine mandate Freedom Convoy, which occupied Ottawa in February and March this year, was a turning point.

"Things have changed a lot in the last few years," she told CBC News. "And especially after the convoy issue, most of us were feeling very unsafe."

Though parliamentary security has offered personal panic buttons to MPs prior to Monday's announcement, Sgro said she didn't take one initially — not until someone followed her most of the way on her walk home one day.

Sgro said the stranger bemoaned their COVID-19 vaccination status and the restrictions that came with it. She said she was just about to call 911 when the stranger finally left.

'Nasty, angry, frustrated people'

"I think women are more vulnerable and feel much more vulnerable as well," Sgro said.

"So improving security for all parliamentarians, it's unfortunate, but we seem to be in a difficult time in society right now. [There's] a lot of nasty, angry, frustrated people."

She said she feels safer now that she carries the panic button.

Earlier this month, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Richard Wagner said the Freedom Convoy occupation showed that the court needs additional security.

Liberal MP Yasir Naqvi said that, while he hasn't felt the need for a panic button personally, he is concerned about the safety of his family.

"For me, my biggest consideration is my family — to make sure that they're always safe, to ensure I have appropriate security measures at home, which are provided by the House of Commons," he said.

WATCH | Threats, harassment prompt MPs to carry panic buttons: 

MPs now carry panic buttons as threats increase

2 years ago
Duration2:13
Electronic panic buttons have been made available to MPs, and some are already carrying them, as serious threats against politicians have increased.

Conservative MP Dan Albas said an increase in angry rhetoric is at odds with Canadians' friendly reputation.

"Canadians are known for being a warm people. We want the best for everyone. So we need to start having more conversations about how we can bring our conversations, especially our political discourse, back along those lines," Albas said.

Conservative MP Ben Lobb agrees that political rhetoric has grown more heated in recent years.

"The rhetoric is too much … it's a lot different than what it was 10 or 15 years ago," he said.

"I don't know if it's social media or just the state of people's mental health in certain cases, but I think everybody needs to relax a little bit and try and not think every issue is the end of the world to threaten people."

But Lobb also questioned how useful a panic button would be in the event of someone getting violent with a politician.

"In a lot of cases, I think by the time you've had an attack, it's probably too late to push the button," he said.

Head of Parliament's security questions police inaction

Sergeant-at-Arms Patrick McDonnell, who is the head of Parliament's security, is now offering de-escalation training to MPs in the hope that such attacks can be prevented.

On Tuesday, McDonnell told a committee of MPs that he was was "flabbergasted" by how the Ottawa city police allowed harassment of MPs and parliamentary staffers to go on during the Freedom Convoy protest.

He told a parliamentary committee Tuesday that MPs and their employees faced harassment nearly every day on Wellington Street in downtown Ottawa, which is under the jurisdiction of local police.

McDonnell said there was a police car "well within viewing distance" of the events he was describing and that the incidents were reported to Ottawa police "every day."

throne-speech-20211123.JPG
Sergeant-at-Arms Patrick McDonnell carries the House of Commons mace ahead of Speaker of the House of Commons Anthony Rota on Nov. 23, 2021. McDonnell, the head of security at Parliament, said he's flabbergasted local police didn't take more action when MPs were threatened during the Freedom Convoy occupation. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press)

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the government is focused on addressing the rise in violent threats.

"We know, unfortunately, that there's a significant amount of anger and frustration out there directed at government, directed at officials," Trudeau told reporters.

"We need to make sure that anyone who steps up to serve their community, at any level of politics, is safe, and that's what we're taking very seriously."

MP says politician engagement, diversity may be threatened

NDP MP Heather McPherson said in a media scrum Tuesday that, at one point in January, she feared so much for the safety of her family she phoned home to make sure they had the doors locked.

She said that people have threatened online to kill her dog.

McPherson alluded to the murders of two U.K. MPs — Jo Cox in 2016 and David Amess in 2021 — when talking about the need to protect politicians.

"We see what's happened in the U.K., we see what's happened to parliamentarians in other countries, and I don't think it's smart for us to wait for a situation like that to occur in Canada for us to act on the security that I think is necessary," she told reporters.

91129093.jpg
Flowers surround a picture of Jo Cox during a vigil in Parliament Square on June 16, 2016 in London, United Kingdom. Cox was murdered in 2016 and another British MP, David Amess, was murdered in 2021. NDP MP Heather McPherson said the tragedies in the UK and elsewhere show the need for security measures for Canadian parliamentarians. (Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

She said the threats may compromise politicians' engagement with the public.

"I want to have barbecues, I want to hand out ice cream, I want to be in the community," she said. "I want to be available so that people can talk to me. And the threat to my person is such that we have to seriously consider the pros and cons of holding public events that we advertise widely."

McPherson said she's never had to use a panic button, although she has one in her office and one she carries with her.

She said she fears that people are becoming desensitized to stories of violent threats directed at people in politics and government. She said that threat environment may discourage women and people of colour from running for office.

"We have to be so careful that we're not like that frog that is in the cold water with the heat turned up," McPherson said.

"We can't normalize this. We can't normalize violence against people running for office, holding positions in offices. Because if we do, our democracy will be deeply damaged."

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

yea... if someone on the left threw rocks at PP you'd be pissed. 

No I would definitely not, if it caused bodily harm to someone then I would hope the person responsible would be held accountable. If its just a hand full of pebbles cowardly thrown from a distance, then I would expect him to be a man about it and keep living his life. 

18 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mp-threats-safety-panic-buttons-1.6496243

"One MP said he's forwarded 20 death threats to the police

'

Members of Parliament told CBC News stories of harassment and threats directed at them just a day after the government announced that MPs would be getting personal panic buttons.

The buttons, also called "mobile duress alarms," can be used to alert the Parliamentary Protective Service (PPS) or local police.

Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino said this week that his office, the PPS and law enforcement are reviewing security for parliamentarians after a number of threatening incidents this year. Mendicino said he's received multiple death threats through social media.

He's not the only one.

Liberal MP Chris Bittle would not say whether he's carrying a panic button. He said he's received around 20 death threats, all of which he's forwarded to the police. He said there have been a few convictions as a result.

Bittle said the threats came as a surprise to him when he entered politics.

"I knew people would be angry with us. I didn't expect all of the death threats," he said.

"There's a lot of angry people out there. And there's a lot of political language, including words like 'traitor,' which are freely used including by politicians.

"If you believe someone to be a traitor or worse … that could lead to violence."

WATCH Trudeau, Public Safety minister and MPs talk about panic buttons:

Trudeau, Public Safety minister and MPs talk about panic buttons

2 years ago
Duration2:53
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino, NDP MP Heather McPherson and Conservative MP Ben Lobb discuss whether members of Parliament need panic buttons.

Liberal MP Judy Sgro said that she feels the threats and harassment being directed at MPs are "much worse" now than in previous years.

She suggested the anti-vaccine mandate Freedom Convoy, which occupied Ottawa in February and March this year, was a turning point.

"Things have changed a lot in the last few years," she told CBC News. "And especially after the convoy issue, most of us were feeling very unsafe."

Though parliamentary security has offered personal panic buttons to MPs prior to Monday's announcement, Sgro said she didn't take one initially — not until someone followed her most of the way on her walk home one day.

Sgro said the stranger bemoaned their COVID-19 vaccination status and the restrictions that came with it. She said she was just about to call 911 when the stranger finally left.

'Nasty, angry, frustrated people'

"I think women are more vulnerable and feel much more vulnerable as well," Sgro said.

"So improving security for all parliamentarians, it's unfortunate, but we seem to be in a difficult time in society right now. [There's] a lot of nasty, angry, frustrated people."

She said she feels safer now that she carries the panic button.

Earlier this month, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court Richard Wagner said the Freedom Convoy occupation showed that the court needs additional security.

Liberal MP Yasir Naqvi said that, while he hasn't felt the need for a panic button personally, he is concerned about the safety of his family.

"For me, my biggest consideration is my family — to make sure that they're always safe, to ensure I have appropriate security measures at home, which are provided by the House of Commons," he said.

WATCH | Threats, harassment prompt MPs to carry panic buttons: 

MPs now carry panic buttons as threats increase

2 years ago
Duration2:13
Electronic panic buttons have been made available to MPs, and some are already carrying them, as serious threats against politicians have increased.

Conservative MP Dan Albas said an increase in angry rhetoric is at odds with Canadians' friendly reputation.

"Canadians are known for being a warm people. We want the best for everyone. So we need to start having more conversations about how we can bring our conversations, especially our political discourse, back along those lines," Albas said.

Conservative MP Ben Lobb agrees that political rhetoric has grown more heated in recent years.

"The rhetoric is too much … it's a lot different than what it was 10 or 15 years ago," he said.

"I don't know if it's social media or just the state of people's mental health in certain cases, but I think everybody needs to relax a little bit and try and not think every issue is the end of the world to threaten people."

But Lobb also questioned how useful a panic button would be in the event of someone getting violent with a politician.

"In a lot of cases, I think by the time you've had an attack, it's probably too late to push the button," he said.

Head of Parliament's security questions police inaction

Sergeant-at-Arms Patrick McDonnell, who is the head of Parliament's security, is now offering de-escalation training to MPs in the hope that such attacks can be prevented.

On Tuesday, McDonnell told a committee of MPs that he was was "flabbergasted" by how the Ottawa city police allowed harassment of MPs and parliamentary staffers to go on during the Freedom Convoy protest.

He told a parliamentary committee Tuesday that MPs and their employees faced harassment nearly every day on Wellington Street in downtown Ottawa, which is under the jurisdiction of local police.

McDonnell said there was a police car "well within viewing distance" of the events he was describing and that the incidents were reported to Ottawa police "every day."

throne-speech-20211123.JPG
Sergeant-at-Arms Patrick McDonnell carries the House of Commons mace ahead of Speaker of the House of Commons Anthony Rota on Nov. 23, 2021. McDonnell, the head of security at Parliament, said he's flabbergasted local police didn't take more action when MPs were threatened during the Freedom Convoy occupation. (Justin Tang/The Canadian Press)

Speaking to reporters Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the government is focused on addressing the rise in violent threats.

"We know, unfortunately, that there's a significant amount of anger and frustration out there directed at government, directed at officials," Trudeau told reporters.

"We need to make sure that anyone who steps up to serve their community, at any level of politics, is safe, and that's what we're taking very seriously."

MP says politician engagement, diversity may be threatened

NDP MP Heather McPherson said in a media scrum Tuesday that, at one point in January, she feared so much for the safety of her family she phoned home to make sure they had the doors locked.

She said that people have threatened online to kill her dog.

McPherson alluded to the murders of two U.K. MPs — Jo Cox in 2016 and David Amess in 2021 — when talking about the need to protect politicians.

"We see what's happened in the U.K., we see what's happened to parliamentarians in other countries, and I don't think it's smart for us to wait for a situation like that to occur in Canada for us to act on the security that I think is necessary," she told reporters.

91129093.jpg
Flowers surround a picture of Jo Cox during a vigil in Parliament Square on June 16, 2016 in London, United Kingdom. Cox was murdered in 2016 and another British MP, David Amess, was murdered in 2021. NDP MP Heather McPherson said the tragedies in the UK and elsewhere show the need for security measures for Canadian parliamentarians. (Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

She said the threats may compromise politicians' engagement with the public.

"I want to have barbecues, I want to hand out ice cream, I want to be in the community," she said. "I want to be available so that people can talk to me. And the threat to my person is such that we have to seriously consider the pros and cons of holding public events that we advertise widely."

McPherson said she's never had to use a panic button, although she has one in her office and one she carries with her.

She said she fears that people are becoming desensitized to stories of violent threats directed at people in politics and government. She said that threat environment may discourage women and people of colour from running for office.

"We have to be so careful that we're not like that frog that is in the cold water with the heat turned up," McPherson said.

"We can't normalize this. We can't normalize violence against people running for office, holding positions in offices. Because if we do, our democracy will be deeply damaged."

Its costing tax payers 30 million/year in security just for Trudeau, while spending another 2.5 million in RCMP costs to protect all other MP's. Both all time highs, kind of indicative of their performance the last couple years and the discontent among the population.   

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Its costing tax payers 30 million/year in security just for Trudeau, while spending another 2.5 million in RCMP costs to protect all other MP's. Both all time highs, kind of indicative of their performance the last couple years and the discontent among the population.   

Could also be indicative of Poilivre and his followers being incapable of conducting themselves in a civilized manner.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No I would definitely not, if it caused bodily harm to someone then I would hope the person responsible would be held accountable. If its just a hand full of pebbles cowardly thrown from a distance, then I would expect him to be a man about it and keep living his life. 

When did it become ok for an adult to throw rocks/pebbles at politicians because you don’t like them, and exactly how big can the rocks be?

Also this seems like the hockey equivalent of the length of a suspension depending on how badly the other guy was injured.  No harm, no foul?

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I mean if you honestly can't see the differences between and Biden and Trudeau and I'm not a fan of either and Trump and PP then we can't help you. 

What? I'm pointing out similarities that people here have prognosticated on. Obviously one can see the differences, but if you were to solely judge on these merits - which some have,  it's worth pointing out.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

When did it become ok for an adult to throw rocks/pebbles at politicians because you don’t like them, and exactly how big can the rocks be?

Also this seems like the hockey equivalent of the length of a suspension depending on how badly the other guy was injured.  No harm, no foul?

butbutbut wait - it's the guy on the receiving end's fault, because it's "kind of indicative of their performance ... and the discontent among the population."  So clearly, it's a-ok! :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

wut? you're blaming the MPs and PM for threats? whats wrong with you?

if she didnt want to be assaulted she shouldnt have dressed like that

This is the literal equivalent.

How sad....

People (I assume on the right) are threatening the lives of officials so much that security is at all time highs, but instead of blaming the people making the threats, it's their fault

• Vintage 3
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

if she didnt want to be assaulted she shouldnt have dressed like that

This is the literal equivalent.

How sad....

People (I assume on the right) are threatening the lives of officials so much that security is at all time highs, but instead of blaming the people making the threats, it's their fault

We also know if pp gets something thrown at him the righties will pearl clutch 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We also know if pp gets something thrown at him the righties will pearl clutch 

Queue the Danielle Smith gaslighting about the left needing to tone down the rhetoric the exact same day she claims the left is trying to harm alberta and needs to be stopped 

• Vintage 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/wave-of-threats-against-mps-has-rcmp-protective-unit-stretched-thin-assistant-commissioner-says/ar-BB1qewcC?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=a286c6cf4d4947f6842334bc0abd3f99&ei=67

"

The head of the RCMP unit responsible for protecting politicians says her division needs to grow in order to address a rising tide of threats and harassment targeting MPs.

Michele Paradis, the RCMP assistant commissioner in charge of protective policing, told CBC News Network's Power & Politics that the number of MPs asking for protection has almost doubled since 2018.

"That spike has been something we've never seen before. Requests for protection have increased exponentially," she told host David Cochrane on Thursday.

Earlier this week, the Globe and Mail reported that RCMP documents indicate the protective unit urgently needs to fill 235 positions.

Paradis said the unit is fully staffed and the number cited by the Globe and Mail is actually a projection of how much the unit needs to grow over the next five years.

"We need to grow. Right now, our staff is stretched," she said.

"It's like an elastic band that's about to snap and that's just because of what we're seeing — an increase in threats."

The recent assassination attempt targeting former U.S. president Donald Trump has forced the RCMP to examine how it protects Canadian politicians, Paradis said. She drew comparisons to the 2022 murder of former Japanese president Shinzo Abe.

"Every one of these [incidents], unfortunately, leads to us re-examining how we deliver our service, and of course we're going to be talking to our American counterparts," she said.

Paradis said the RCMP is also looking to the recent U.K. election for lessons on how to protect politicians on the campaign trail. Canada is scheduled to hold a federal election in the fall of 2025.

"We're taking all of that in. We're assessing. We'll be providing all of the parties with security briefings as we go along, safety briefings. We're looking at training their drivers, all of this," she said.

Harassment of MPs jumped 800% in 5 years

Patrick McDonell, House of Commons sergeant-at-arms and corporate security officer, said earlier this year that harassment targeting MPs has jumped almost 800 per cent in the past five years.

"In 2019 there was approximately eight files we opened up on threat behaviours, either direct or in direct threat towards an MP, and in 2023 there was 530 files opened," McDonnell told a House committee in May.

Former public safety minister Marco Mendicino is calling for the creation of "protective zones" around political constituency offices to protect members of Parliament and their staff from threatening behaviour.

"We have to take parliamentary security more seriously," the Liberal MP told the Canadian Press. "We need as Canadians to open our eyes and recognize that political violence is not something that just occurs somewhere else, but that it is happening here in our own communities."

Mendicino said his idea is to impose harsher criminal penalties, up to and including including jail time, on anyone who intimidates or otherwise harasses people within a buffer zone of 50 to 100 metres around an MP's office.

Montreal police are investigating after a building housing the office of Immigration Minister Marc Miller was vandalized this week.

While Paradis said what happened to Miller's office is a criminal act, she is concerned about what she called "lawful but awful" activities.

"The rhetoric around those comments that are awful but lawful is what concerns me," she said.

"If you're [a politician and you're] not going to go to an event because you're starting to hear that, that has an effect on our democracy. So what we want to do is we want to keep people safe, to be able to do their job and stay in politics."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1