Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Today yes.

6-10 months from now, debateable.

The funny thing bout absolutes is that they rarely age well.

He already has a 9 year body of work, I doubt much will change in the next 6-10 months. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Today yes.

I'm curious what you think Trudeau can do to change people's mind at this point?

I don't disagree with what you say about absolutes, but I don't think people care any more at this point 

Edited by Ricky Ravioli

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Today yes.

The Liberals can't win with Trudeau.  Even one year from now.  Doesn't matter if Carney replaces Freeland.  If Carney replaces Trudeau that's a different story.  But I don't think he wants to be Prime Minister.  And Trudeau will never resign.  I mean they still can't get Biden to resign and he's 81 with dementia.  So why would a much younger and healthier Trudeau want to resign?

Edited by Elias Pettersson

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Liberals can't win with Trudeau.  Even one year from now.  Doesn't matter if Carney replaces Freeland.  If Carney replaces Trudeau that's a different story.  But I don't think he wants to be Prime Minister.  And Trudeau will never resign.  I mean they still can't get Biden to resign and he's 81 with dementia.  So why would a much younger and healthier Trudeau want to resign?

One could ask why Carney would want to sit in a doomsday caucus? A caucus where, apparently the leader only listens to his inner circle. Carney has the financial chops that people might listen to and by pass Trudeau. I doubt that goes well. Carney has worked for Bruce Flatt at Brookfield for 4 years. All smart guys. I highly doubt Carney would go unless Trudeau was bowing out. Carney might right the Liberal ship. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Every other week things are improving.  Everything but people's ignorance.

Pierre can't wait it out if things keep getting better, he needs people angry and scared.

Case in point, pointed out to this individual that her claims of Trudeau being the reason her bill was over $200 was false as over $150+ of it was fees and service charges.

People need to be scared and ignorant of the truth and reality or else Pierre loses that advantage

Screenshot_20240719-153636.png

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

One could ask why Carney would want to sit in a doomsday caucus? A caucus where, apparently the leader only listens to his inner circle. Carney has the financial chops that people might listen to and by pass Trudeau. I doubt that goes well. Carney has worked for Bruce Flatt at Brookfield for 4 years. All smart guys. I highly doubt Carney would go unless Trudeau was bowing out. Carney might right the Liberal ship. 

Yeah Carney is a very respected man in the finance field, he may not want to hitch his rope on what can seen as a sinking ship and the hate that comes being associated with Trudeau. He probably has no shortage of career opportunities at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah Carney is a very respected man in the finance field, he may not want to hitch his rope on what can seen as a sinking ship and the hate that comes being associated with Trudeau. He probably has no shortage of career opportunities at the moment. 

Maybe saving Canada from what Poilivre wants to do to it is a priority to him as a public service.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I mean they still can't get Biden to resign and he's 81 with dementia.  So why would a much younger and healthier Trudeau want to resign?

I mean they are two different people in two different countries, so there is that.

I agree that JT is toast though and Carney might be their only hope. 

I think Jim-bob has been tooting the Carney horn for a bit now. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I mean they are two different people in two different countries, so there is that.

I agree that JT is toast though and Carney might be their only hope. 

I think Jim-bob has been tooting the Carney horn for a bit now. 

Carney is almost 60, has great connections and already is a multi millionaire.  I don't see why he would want to be Prime Minister, considering he's never been a politician in his life.  Career politicians are the ones that want the fame and glory of that job.  Not a finance guy...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Carney is almost 60, has great connections and already is a multi millionaire.  I don't see why he would want to be Prime Minister, considering he's never been a politician in his life.  Career politicians are the ones that want the fame and glory of that job.  Not a finance guy...

because some people want to be of service as part of their careers, particularly when there's such a need for his services. 

I know it scares you to think the Libs could land him, but if you put aside your partisan love for PP you'd see it would be good for Canada. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe because he sees how evil the vermin he'd be running against is.  Could just want to serve Canada by preventing Poilivre from destroying it.

Edited by King Heffy

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe for Canada's sake?

I know some dont see it but PP's hate slinging reeks of the states to many. It freaks people out. Many still think Canada is the best place on earth, saying it is broken all the time is hard to hear. We have our warts but this victim mentality is too much. 

They dont trust that he wouldnt let some back bench abortion nonsense to present itself, they fear he will cut some good programs, they think he might be in bed with big groceries. Some, I'm one of them, will miss CBC. It could be better and maybe shouldnt get floated to such a cost etc.. but its part of Canada to me and I like having a public broadcaster. 

Anyway, just a few things off the top of my head. 

I was going to go NDP for my next vote...theyre the only ones that seem to get things done but if Carney comes in, maybe I look at the Libs. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

because some people want to be of service as part of their careers, particularly when there's such a need for his services. 

I know it scares you to think the Libs could land him, but if you put aside your partisan love for PP you'd see it would be good for Canada. 

I don't have partisan love for PP.  I voted Liberal almost my entire adult life.  I even voted for Trudeau in 2015.  We've already been over this before.  

You keep pumping Carney like you're his agent.  He doesn't want to be Prime Minister.  And he doesn't have a duty to be PM either.  If he was in his 40's that might be different.  

I don't have partisan love for PP.  I voted Liberal almost my entire adult life.  I even voted for Trudeau in 2015.  We've already been over this before.  

I know, I just get the feels that you really like PP. Or is it that you have soured on JT? 

You keep pumping Carney like you're his agent.  He doesn't want to be Prime Minister.  And he doesn't have a duty to be PM either.  If he was in his 40's that might be different.  

You don't know what he wants. 

60 isn't old anymore btw. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You're still constantly defending that neo-Nazi piece of shit in this thread though.  You are openly advocating for Poilivre to be permitted to commit the crimes against humanity that he wants to.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe for Canada's sake?

I know some dont see it but PP's hate slinging reaks of the states to many. It freaks people out. Many still think Canada is the best place on earth, saying it is broken all the time is hard to hear. We have our warts but this victim mentality is too much. 

They dont trust that he would let some back bench abortion nonsense to present itself, they fear he will cut some good programs, they think he might be in bed with big groceries. Some, I'm one of them, will miss CBC. It could be better and maybe shouldnt get floated to such a cost etc.. but its part of Canada to me and I like having a public broadcaster. 

Anyway, just a few things off the top of my head. 

I was going to go NDP for my next vote...theyre the only ones that seem to get things done but if Carney comes in, maybe I look at the Libs. 

PP is a protege of Harper.  Will probably do similar things that Harper did.  Abortion is not even an issue for the next election, it's only an issue in this thread.  Harper cut programs too, so dis Chretien.  Hard decisions will need to be made. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, at 50 I feel in the best shape of my life.

Which is saying something as I was very active in martial arts comps until I was 35. In fact I am considering joining a bjj club, I kinda want to compete again. Bjj is just grappling though, no striking this time around (i am too old for that)

Nah, 60 is the new 45. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP is a protege of Harper.  Will probably do similar things that Harper did.  Abortion is not even an issue for the next election, it's only an issue in this thread.

see you say that, even after being shown proof of his voting record and the bills he's let his backbenchers put forward. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Harper cut programs too, so dis Chretien.  Hard decisions will need to be made. 

Paul Martin was the brains behind that. We need another guy like him not Helmut head Harper. Hey look, I think I see Mark Carney over there.... 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hard decisions will need to be made. 

Canada subsidizes corporations in some fashion or outright to a tune of $52 BILLION a year.

Maybe that's a good pace to start.  What would an additional $52 billion look like to our finances as opposed to going to corporations who are making record profits every quarter since late 2020 as per the latest data from 2022?

Federally and provincially a total of over $350 billion in corporate welfare between 2007-2019

That's a good start isn't it?

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I know, I just get the feels that you really like PP. Or is it that you have soured on JT? 

You don't know what he wants. 

I'm more Conservative than I used to be, but I'm also not a right-wing nut job either.  Trudeau's Liberals aren't centre or centre right enough for me.  They are not the Liberals of Jean Chretien.  That's why he's losing votes.  He needs the centre or centre right vote to win.  Trudeau's Liberals are an extension of the NDP.  

Careny would definitely help to bring the party back to the centre.  However, I don't see it happening.  However, that is only my opinion and I could be wrong.  I just don't think Carney would waste his time with this current leadership.  Only way he runs for PM is if Trudeau and his entire posse resign...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

PP is a protege of Harper.  Will probably do similar things that Harper did.  Abortion is not even an issue for the next election, it's only an issue in this thread.  Harper cut programs too, so dis Chretien.  Hard decisions will need to be made. 

That's not a good thing.  Harper got booted out of office for his open racism and bigotry.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, at 50 I feel in the best shape of my life.

Which is saying something as I was very active in martial arts comps until I was 35. In fact I am considering joining a bjj club, I kinda want to compete again. Bjj is just grappling though, no striking this time around (i am too old for that)

Nah, 60 is the new 45. 

yep if you're in good shape 60 is no biggie to take a run at PM. 

I've had to hang up my climbing shoes, it's really hard to keep that going at our advanced age and recover properly, but I still nordic ski and hike better than ever.