Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

Just teasing you.

I'm still stuck on that PP doesnt just unequivocally say no and include even with these cheeky 7% backbenchers, no to them too.

And I am just pointing out to you. This will be a thing, fear mongering or not...because of RvW, because of the religous types, because of the resemblance of Canadas right to USA's right.

The reason Roe v Wade was overturned was because the Democrats tried to run Hillary as the next President.  That failed.  Then some of the Democratic judges resigned and/or passed away.  Trump was able to flip the court from 5-4 Democrats to 6-3 Republicans in less than 4 years.  Quite a feat really.  Bigly as he would call it.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Just teasing you.

I'm still stuck on that PP doesnt just unequivocally say no and include even with these cheeky 7% backbenchers, no to them too.

And I am just pointing out to you. This will be a thing, fear mongering or not...because of RvW, because of the religous types, because of the resemblance of Canadas right to USA's right.

what bugs the god boys in Canada is that there isn't a law. They are desperate to move the issue into this arena, so they can craft one. 

We don't need it. It's a health issue. But it's bothered the holy rollers for 40+ years that they are stuck (as they see it) in a legal limbo. They don't have a Roe to fight against. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The reason Roe v Wade was overturned was because the Democrats tried to run Hillary as the next President.  That failed.  Then some of the Democratic judges resigned and/or passed away.  Trump was able to flip the court from 5-4 Democrats to 6-3 Republicans in less than 4 years.  Quite a feat really.  Bigly as he would call it.

Oh, he's bigly'd up a few things. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

thats just the SC. It's very easy in Canada to stack lower courts, thats where the evangelicals that PP panders to will target cases, and then get the law argument started that they've been wanting for so very long. 

8. APPOINTMENTS

Federal judicial appointments are made by the Governor General acting on the advice of the federal Cabinet. A recommendation for appointment is made to Cabinet by the Minister of Justice with respect to the appointment of puisne judges, and by the Prime Minister with respect to the appointment of Chief Justices and Associate Chief Justices.

https://www.fja-cmf.gc.ca/appointments-nominations/guideCandidates-eng.html#:~:text=Federal judicial appointments are made,advice of the federal Cabinet.

You may think it's funny for women to lose rights, maybe even agree with it, dunno. But PP will follow Trumps model. 

The only funny thing is you thinking that PP can stack the Supreme Court with 4 new judges in 4 years, all with a mandate to abolish abortion.  Lower courts can't change the constitution.  And you know this but pump out your conspiracy theory that it can happen anyway...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The only funny thing is you thinking that PP can stack the Supreme Court with 4 new judges in 4 years, all with a mandate to abolish abortion.  Lower courts can't change the constitution.  And you know this but pump out your conspiracy theory that it can happen anyway...

bullshit as usual Petey. You know lower court cases matter, look at your convoy case that you pointed to so often. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

bullshit as usual Petey. You know lower court cases matter, look at your convoy case that you pointed to so often. 

My convoy case?  I didn't know I was a part of the convoy.  Are you now calling me a right-wing nut job?

You see, when you and Warhippy get all emotional you guys like to start labeling other posters.  Hippy basically called me a white supremacist in the Trump thread.  I had to call him out on his bullshit.  And now I'm calling you out.  

If you have some new information on how PP can stack the Supreme Court with some facts and not your feelings let me know...

• ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Republicans would like to claim some responsibility too. Democrats like Hillary and Ginsberg enabled it yes but don't shortfall the efforts of the Heritage foundation. Just semantics but it really highlights how the repubs are getting off lightly nowadays and it's up to only the dems to be the grown ups in the room.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My convoy case?  I didn't know I was a part of the convoy.  Are you now calling me a right-wing nut job?

You see, when you and Warhippy get all emotional you guys like to start labeling other posters.  Hippy basically called me a white supremacist in the Trump thread.  I had to call him out on his bullshit.  And now I'm calling you out.  

If you have some new information on how PP can stack the Supreme Court with some facts and not your feelings let me know...

Now he pulls the feeling card 😁 

5 judges will need replacing by the end of PPs second term if he gets that far.

As we tend to give governments more than one term he's certainly have a legitimate shot at it.

You keep trying to deflect this, while saying you aren't a pp supporter. Your arguments say different.

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You guys should really do some research on the Supreme Court of Canada...

Supreme Court of Canada - Biography - Mary T. Moreau (scc-csc.ca)

6 of the current judges were appointed under Trudeau.  3 under Harper.  If anyone has stacked the court it is Trudeau...

As we agreed in the past there is no law in Canada affirming the right to an abortion. The Supreme Court just struck down the law against it that was in place in 1988 as unconstitutional. Parliament can pass any bill it chooses and so long as it passes the Senate it will become law until it is challenged in the Supreme Court where it would be judged on its constitutional merits.

The court doesn’t need to be stacked at all if the law is crafted properly. I get that you don’t think this will happen but many of us see a distinct possibility. It happened under Mulroney, it happened under Harper, and there’s no reason they won’t try again under PP.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

As we agreed in the past there is no law in Canada affirming the right to an abortion. The Supreme Court just struck down the law against it that was in place in 1988 as unconstitutional. Parliament can pass any bill it chooses and so long as it passes the Senate it will become law until it is challenged in the Supreme Court where it would be judged on its constitutional merits.

The court doesn’t need to be stacked at all if the law is crafted properly. I get that you don’t think this will happen but many of us see a distinct possibility. It happened under Mulroney, it happened under Harper, and there’s no reason they won’t try again under PP.

Petey doesn't have a factual argument to make, we're just supposed to believe that a guy willing to pander to evangelicals will not go down this path.

Edited by Bob Long

50 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Yes, you are correct. The Supreme Court already ruled on this. 

The Conservatives, just like the Liberals, can pass any law they want if they really want to as long as there is a majority. 

There is no appetite to abolish abortion in Canada. PP has already said it isn’t happening. Even the legacy media called out Trudeau’s posse for fear mongering. 

The Liberals aren’t going to change any votes with the abortion card. Even the media isn’t supporting it. So instead of playing that card they should focus on getting Trudeau to resign. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Now he pulls the feeling card 😁 

5 judges will need replacing by the end of PPs second term if he gets that far.

As we tend to give governments more than one term he's certainly have a legitimate shot at it.

You keep trying to deflect this, while saying you aren't a pp supporter. Your arguments say different.

So now we need to wait until PP’s second term in order to change the court. How exactly is that going to occur?  

At least you are now acknowledging that it isn’t happening in his first term. 

Look, bottom line is the chances of it happening are the same as Trump surviving a shot to the head. Oh wait, he did survive. So, I guess there is a shot. 

Problem is you are not going to get people to vote for Trudeau on the 1% chance PP stacks the courts. That’s the real point I’m trying to make. Trudeau should resign and let somebody else run in the next election. That’s their best shot at winning. 

Put it this way, I’m not changing my vote to Trudeau because of any abortion fear mongering.  Nor is anyone else.  However, if Trudeau resigns then that would change my vote. I would certainly vote for Mark Carney if he ran for Prime Minister. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So now we need to wait until PP’s second term in order to change the court. How exactly is that going to occur?  

Our judges have time limits, didn't you know that? They will age out and must be replaced.

At least you are now acknowledging that it isn’t happening in his first term. 

That was your comment, not mine 

Look, bottom line is the chances of it happening are the same as Trump surviving a shot to the head. Oh wait, he did survive. So, I guess there is a shot. 

Problem is you are not going to get people to vote for Trudeau on the 1% chance PP stacks the courts. That’s the real point I’m trying to make. Trudeau should resign and let somebody else run in the next election. That’s their best shot at winning. 

People in Canada really don't pay attention to our process of selecting judges. 

Put it this way, I’m not changing my vote to Trudeau because of any abortion fear mongering.  Nor is anyone else.  However, if Trudeau resigns then that would change my vote. I would certainly vote for Mark Carney if he ran for Prime Minister. 

That's good to hear 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The venom with which PP is attacked says a lot about the lefts ability to engage in intelligent discussion about the country's future.

They should be able to do that without the vitriol we see in the USA.  

Just a tad of vitriol in that first sentence Bouds.   I agree we should try to avoid that but don't forget it comes from all sides.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Reality is that the Libs have spent their wad on ideas. 9 years with poor results. The majority of Canadians are struggling and thusly PP growth in the polls. The Liberals on this site attack PP with the standardized issues that have worked in the past. Nazis and evangelicals chomping to change society. Can Carney save the Liberals? He has serious street cred but does that appeal resonate with voters who struggle with day to day living? Carney is the head ESG VP for Brookfield. ESG is costing many Canadians with inflationary costs. He might not sell. No doubt he would be a upgrade on Trudeau.

The venom with which PP is attacked says a lot about the lefts ability to engage in intelligent discussion about the country's future. There is an ugliness to it that is rather sad. PP is no savior. My hope is that he can right the ship and get more value for taxpayer dollars. That he can stop the decline in Canada's standard of living. That he can rid our Parliament of those willing to sell their influence to foreign powers like China. Why is Poilievre's desire to serve his country any less than Mark Carney? It is time for patriotic Canadians to step up and defend their values. They should be able to do that without the vitriol we see in the USA.  

PP gets a lot of "venom" because he dishes out a lot. He always has, he began his career as a little barking dog backbencher and just happens to be the last former Harper minister standing. He pushes a ton of negativity, and a lot of lies and hyperbole. 

And yes he does pander to the more hateful side of the CPC base.

All of this is on record, pick an issue and we can find a direct quote.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2024/07/19/top-court-says-government-can-be-held-liable-for-making-unconstitutional-laws/

Interesting .... Not just that its conservatives who disregard the constitution but I'm sure Saskatchewan is about to get hammered in court for using the not withstanding clause to strip rights. 

The scoc didn't give them the right to challenge the law rather they now have the right to sue and the government has no immunity from that 

Don't forget PP had bragged about looking to using the notwithstanding Clause to bring in his desired criminal code changes 

Too bad it's us the taxpayers that are going to pay all these bills and not PP and the moe's 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

It is time for patriotic Canadians to step up and defend their values

I will.

Best way to do that is stop PP and his hatred. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

PP gets a lot of "venom" because he dishes out a lot. He always has, he began his career as a little barking dog backbencher and just happens to be the last former Harper minister standing. He pushes a ton of negativity, and a lot of lies and hyperbole. 

And yes he does pander to the more hateful side of the CPC base.

All of this is on record, pick an issue and we can find a direct quote.

Well said, Its stunning that few of the PP supporters will admit this.

Bouds is a very smart poster but he is the prime example of this.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Well said, Its stunning that few of the PP supporters will admit this.

Bouds is a very smart poster but he is the prime example of this.

I think it's entertainment for them, and they also agree at least in spirit. 

The "Canada is broken" thing just burns me, it's such a negative hole to begin from. But of course, if PP gets in, well, now there's hope right? too funny.

Yes we have some serious issues, housing being #1 probably, and it's finally being worked on. Very few boomers who owned a home over the last 20 years wanted the equity balloon to stop, it was never going to be solved politically until now.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Than the people who are stupid enough to vote for Poilivre and help him destroy the country should be ashamed of themselves.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

The venom with which PP is attacked says a lot about the lefts ability to engage in intelligent discussion about the country's future. There is an ugliness to it that is rather sad. PP is no savior. My hope is that he can right the ship and get more value for taxpayer dollars. That he can stop the decline in Canada's standard of living. That he can rid our Parliament of those willing to sell their influence to foreign powers like China. Why is Poilievre's desire to serve his country any less than Mark Carney? It is time for patriotic Canadians to step up and defend their values. They should be able to do that without the vitriol we see in the USA.  

What has Poilivre done to indicate he's earned the right to be treated the same as actual people?  Bigots who openly support domestic terrorism can best serve their country by going to prison, which is where Poilivre belongs.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

the 'patriotic' thing bothers me too, like I'm less Canadian because I won't vote CPC? 

Things like personal freedom and liberty used to be con values. Why they now suddenly care what someone identifies as e.g., is actually not a traditional con value. Personal responsibility was another one, but now if there's a consequence for your free choice, well fuck, thats tyranny. 

I began as a voter supporting Mulroney. I liked Paul Martin a lot, he did a lot of good as finance minister. Then came the whiney western alienation cult and thats when the con's lost me. 

I'd love to be able to vote for a fiscally smart, socially liberal minded government. Closest thing to that now its the Lib's, and if they can pull off a coup and land a guy like Carney it will be much close to what I think Canada needs. Better finances, stay the hell out of peoples personal choices. 

The current Liberal government is as far from fiscally smart as you can get.