Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Huh.

Anyone got an actual account of an incident? 

Probably just the same two or three sound bites taken out of context from longer comments about crappy behaviour from trucker convoy types and anti vaxxers

• Vintage 1

the accusations of divisive rhetoric from the Liberal Party come down to the paradox of intolerance. people from far-right positions who are intolerant of diverse sexuality, genders, ethnicities and religions feel alienated when they hear statements and witness policies that accept this diversity. you can't both support a minority group and additionally support another group which is against said minority group's dignified treatment and ability to pursue happiness. when a Prime Minister and his government make statements and enact policies to support the liberty, freedom and expression of marginalized groups, far-right types are going to feel alienated because, subsequently, they feel their beliefs have been subverted. that's where the idea of 'division' comes about.

I'm of the belief that there's nobody who can 'unify' the country any longer because of where the social condition is at. I really don't think Trudeau has done a particularly bad job at handling 'unity,' though.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, 112 said:

the accusations of divisive rhetoric from the Liberal Party come down to the paradox of intolerance. people from far-right positions who are intolerant of diverse sexuality, genders, ethnicities and religions feel alienated when they hear statements and witness policies that accept this diversity. you can't both support a minority group and additionally support another group which is against said minority group's dignified treatment and ability to pursue happiness. when a Prime Minister and his government make statements and enact policies to support the liberty, freedom and expression of marginalized groups, far-right types are going to feel alienated because, subsequently, they feel their beliefs have been subverted. that's where the idea of 'division' comes about.

I'm of the belief that there's nobody who can 'unify' the country any longer because of where the social condition is at. I really don't think Trudeau has done a particularly bad job at handling 'unity,' though.

The country was never fully unified. Some people just didn't have a voice or agency so it only appeared that way.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The country was never fully unified. Some people just didn't have a voice or agency so it only appeared that way.

Also true. I think the internet and social media has made it much more apparent that there are major differences between people in terms of beliefs and opinions in Canada--and these have always been present, just more hidden and subdued without everyone and their mother's aunt able to comment wherever they want.

• Like 1

To be a bit ofa devil's advocate here...

No, JT is not known for divisive language.

His 'losing of the room' though is on him. During the maddness of covid and the trucker/karen convoy, JT truned his back on a lot of folks, he didnt try to mend any bridges, he didnt try to listen.

The convoy was a bunch of dorks, they had no concise voice, they were a mess and walked with some bad folks. But there was a lot of them, their voice needed to be heard. Because it was not, it attibuted to the rise of the right. They now hold the wheel. Love it or hate it, that's who has the predicted power in the future. JT wears that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

To be a bit ofa devil's advocate here...

No, JT is not known for divisive language.

His 'losing of the room' though is on him. During the maddness of covid and the trucker/karen convoy, JT truned his back on a lot of folks, he didnt try to mend any bridges, he didnt try to listen.

The convoy was a bunch of dorks, they had no concise voice, they were a mess and walked with some bad folks. But there was a lot of them, their voice needed to be heard. Because it was not, it attibuted to the rise of the right. They now hold the wheel. Love it or hate it, that's who has the predicted power in the future. JT wears that. 

needed to be heard.... but they were heard. They didn't like that nothing changed to pander to their oddball concepts. 

Sorry have to disagree with you here. They wanted to rail against the best available evidence and practice. Many wouldn't even do the least possible and wear a mask or get a free safe vaccine. 

I don't put their selfish acts on Trudeau, he doesn't own their crap. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

needed to be heard.... but they were heard. They didn't like that nothing changed to pander to their oddball concepts. 

Sorry have to disagree with you here. They wanted to rail against the best available evidence and practice. Many wouldn't even do the least possible and wear a mask or get a free safe vaccine. 

I don't put their selfish acts on Trudeau, he doesn't own their crap. 

One way or another he lost the room. 

To prevent that, he could have tried to bridge the gap imo. 

The fact that he couldnt and didnt....gives us a little PP to deal with.

I never thought we would want to have a little PP. 

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

was it ever his room to lose? wasn't it lost before it started?

I was at a relatives birthday party last week, and yep, one of these types just couldn't keep their mouth shut and had to make a scene. 

I don't believe that there was ever a way to gain these folks without actually agreeing with them, which is pretty much at the prayer and leeches level of thinking

I don't think most people are like this in Canada, most folks did their part during covid. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

yeah, Tofino is my guess too.

he likes it there. 

pretty easy place to like. Haven't been there for a while tho, so maybe it's getting too crowded? dunno.

He really needs to put country and party first. Fair or not, its become about him personally and not policy or actual achievements. When that happens it's time to go. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think most people are like this in Canada

So why so much hate for JT? what happened in to him in the polls?

I read something like 81% of Canadians got vaxxed. 

Shouldnt that translate to more support for him?

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

pretty easy place to like. Haven't been there for a while tho, so maybe it's getting too crowded? dunno.

I always thought Port Renfrew could be a great true west coast destination. Tofino is a bit tired now, Ucluelet too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

So why so much hate for JT? what happened in to him in the polls?

I read something like 81% of Canadians got vaxxed. 

Shouldnt that translate to more support for him?

oh because there's plenty of other reasons 😅

its been almost a decade, which just on its own usually brings the end of Canadian voters tolerance. But he's had a lot of self-gaffes, and he does own some part of the current housing problems. 

Add to that the Skippy firehose of negative bullshit, and here we are. 

One of the reasons I'm really hoping Carney steps in is it changes the channel on years of Skippy rants. Whats he going to do to criticize Carney? oh he ran the Bank of England for years?

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The real problem was that he treated them with the kid gloves. The riot squad should have been ready to go to deal with those terrorists the minute it became apparent they were incapable of acting in a civilized manner.  There was no reason to pretend that they should have any right whatsoever to be treated with respect.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I always thought Port Renfrew could be a great true west coast destination. Tofino is a bit tired now, Ucluelet too. 

the wife and I are toying with the idea of looking at a vacation property on the island, that area has some pretty darn nice scenery. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Used to come off the West Coast Trail and hit the bar in Port Renfrew. By the time our ride came we were generally done. Clean living for a week and dashed in

an hour. Good days.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I used to go to Ukee and Tuff city 4-5 times a year when mi amigo owned a business there.  The last 2-3 years I was so disgusted by how busy it was.  Ukee and Tofino somehow ballooned up to over 30k people.  Literally camping and living on logging trails.  The single grocery store in Tofino ran out of food regularly when they started the Kennedy lake/hill blasting and highway improvements.

It was truly awful.

I now go to Hobuck Beach and LaPush in washington state.  They look and feel so similar to Tofino that it's almost indistinguishable, but nobody goes there

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I used to go to Ukee and Tuff city 4-5 times a year when mi amigo owned a business there.  The last 2-3 years I was so disgusted by how busy it was.  Ukee and Tofino somehow ballooned up to over 30k people.  Literally camping and living on logging trails.  The single grocery store in Tofino ran out of food regularly when they started the Kennedy lake/hill blasting and highway improvements.

It was truly awful.

I now go to Hobuck Beach and LaPush in washington state.  They look and feel so similar to Tofino that it's almost indistinguishable, but nobody goes there

i still remember being able to camp on the beach in Tofino in highschool.

Campfires, surfing, VI locals only ( mostly) 

Like something out of a movie. 

Ahh, the good old days. 

• Huggy Bear 1