Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

25 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The last 2-3 years I was so disgusted by how busy it was.  Ukee and Tofino somehow ballooned up to over 30k people.  Literally camping and living on logging trails.  The single grocery store in Tofino ran out of food regularly when they started the Kennedy lake/hill blasting and highway improvements.

It's the result of over-tourism, and it's unfortunately happening "everywhere" (with the qualifier of "everywhere" being "everywhere that used to have that sort of vibe" but now being overrun by tourists).  Sort of saw that in 2017 with the whole Canada 150 celebrations - Banff and Lake Louise were a fucking gong show with how many people swarmed into the area, and I'm talking like the week after Labour Day, when kids would normally be back in school.  I can't imagine how it would've looked in the thick of summer vacation time.

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Haven't been there for a while tho, so maybe it's getting too crowded? dunno.

I went there this past September (again, after Labour Day) and the crowds were thinning out to a comfortable level.  Certainly, summertime I would expect it to be overwhelmed by tourism.  Though, in retrospect, I think the Hwy 4 issues probably also helped as well with keeping tourist counts lower - I remember being a bit touch-and-go with making plans because there was no guarantee that the highway would be open for travel when I was planning on going, and if I recall correctly, they had just ended the last of the traffic controls on the highway the week before I was set to travel.

Not sure how it'll look this year though.

• Like 1

Well, Biden stepped down, one has to assume the Libs will be watching how things unfold pretty closely.

Lot of folks who lean center and left around here are pretty open about believing he should step down, the Cons could lose some momentum if he does. 

Thing about figurehead politicians like Trudeau, as the PM, is they have a shelf life and sooner or later folks will vote simply to get rid of them. That's what eventually happened with Harper to a degree, it contributed to Trudeau getting in. 

The longer a politician stays in office the more scandals, dirt, and history exist, this applies to PP as well. If Trudeau were to step down suddenly the target of years worth of animosity would be gone. Yeah, lot of folks would probably just redirect it, as we'll see in the US with Biden having stepped down, but I do think it'd be enough to swing the pendulum for individuals with beliefs closer to a Canadian political middle. 

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's because he's so "divisive".....

Gotta say though, Edmonton and Calgary are a bit surprising. My money would have been on Brooks and Ponoka....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

It's because he's so "divisive".....

That's it for sure. 

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Gotta say though, Edmonton and Calgary are a bit surprising. My money would have been on Brooks and Ponoka....

Not to me.

More than a couple of decades back, my buddy and I took a drive out to Port Renfrew.

go into the pub, down by the wharf, and watched as a couple of dudes played pool.

Nothing special about the game, other than a golden retriever named Zack was also watching the game.

Dog would  stand on his hind legs, to look over the table, then go to the pocket where he though the ball should be shot into.

Rests his front paws on the side of the table, and stared the ball right into the hole.

dog was right-every time as to which ball should be shot into which hole.

-----------------------

Beautiful drive, wonderful scenery, I'd like to go again, and see the changes of 20 plus years.

Edited by Gurn
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gurn said:

More than a couple of decades back, my buddy and I took a drive out to Port Renfrew.

go into the pub, down by the wharf, and watched as a couple of dudes played pool.

Nothing special about the game, other than a golden retriever named Zack was also watching the game.

Dog would  stand on his hind legs, to look over the table, then go to the pocket where he though the ball should be shot into.

Rests his front paws on the side of the table, and stared the ball right into the hole.

dog was right-every time as to which ball should be shot into which hole.

-----------------------

Beautiful drive, wonderful scenery, I'd like to go again, and see the changes of 20 plus years.

Did the "circle tour" through Lake Cowichan Port Renfrew, Botanical Beach and China Beach (and through Sooke etc back up to mid island) last summer, with some good eats along the way. Beautiful out there.

• Vintage 1

Two Albertans charged in online death threats to Trudeau, other federal leaders

EDMONTON — Two Alberta men have been charged after death threats were allegedly directed at top federal politicians, including the prime minister.

48 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Tell is again how CONs are good.  The Alberta NDP funded.  The CONs cut and closed.

But PP gonna do better.  LOL

Tell us how everyone else is good?

We need to spend billions right now and get water bombers from anywhere around the world we can and get our own companies to start building them asap.

We need to take our forest management seriously instead of chopping old growths on Vancouver Island and BC.

We need to stop pretending we are helpless and a wealth transfer tax will solve our issues. We need action.  

A carbon tax on a tiny portion on the world population is far from a solution.  Solar panels aren't going to save us either.

Did you blame the Lytton fire on the BC government as well?

Can you tell us where the forest fire fighters Trudeau promised?  Can you tell us of his mass investments of forest management? 9 years of Liberal empty talk and despite that you still eat that up. 

They do nothing because they know people like you would never hold them accountable because of your ridicilious bias.

Edited by bolt
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Go on about ridicilious bias.

Tell me how I hold JT accountable in a city that has voted CON federally for decades?

This is an example of provincial mismanagement that is also mirrored by Ontario BTW.  Mismanagement when the province is now turning to the Feds for help, when the UCP cut their funding.

Another example that just blindly voting for PP will likely have consequences.  Like how the CONs cut veterans and Coast Guard offices last time under Harper.

I have zero faith in CONs and if that makes me biased, so be it.  If you can't handle that, that's a you problem. 

Mindless.  

9 years of Trudeau has accomplished what exactly?  You don't have any bias at all?  

Edited by bolt

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

This happened on Jts watch.  Of course you didn't answer any of those questions. 

Ridicious bias then you went on some harper rant.  9 years of Trudeau has accomplished what exactly?  

Explain how Trudeau is responsible for Albertas fire management plan?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bolt said:

Tell us how everyone else is good?

We need to spend billions right now and get water bombers from anywhere around the world we can and get our own companies to start building them asap.

We need to take our forest management seriously instead of chopping old growths on Vancouver Island and BC.

We need to stop pretending we are helpless and a wealth transfer tax will solve our issues. We need action.  

A carbon tax on a tiny portion on the world population is far from a solution.  Solar panels aren't going to save us either.

Did you blame the Lytton fire on the BC government as well?

Can you tell us where the forest fire fighters Trudeau promised?  Can you tell us of his mass investments of forest management? 9 years of Liberal empty talk and despite that you still eat that up. 

They do nothing because they know people like you would never hold them accountable because of your ridicilious bias.

literally none of this is anything you actually are qualified to be speaking about but here you are.

The Con-Air group and Coulson management teams are building and managing our arial fire teams, BC also has one of the best pilot projects for helicopter pilots in the world for fire management.  Provinces are in charge of wildfire services.  That's why it is the BCWFS

With 8 provinces essentially managed by Conservatives off and on for a majority of the last 2 decades your whining about Trudeau in the current state of things with Jasper burning is just sad on a purely partisan level.

Provinces manage their own forests.  Their own wildfire management.  Doing this now during what is set to be yet another national record year for fires is just sad

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I think we are getting close to the tipping point, when people start to realize the conservatives have nothing to offer, other 'other guy bad'.

Everything the cons rage about is either not a federal responsibility, or nowhere near as bad as they keep yelling.

Next federal election is long way off.

Economy doing ok

Inflation coming down

Interest rates coming down

doesn't leave much to bitch about, so once again it's  time, to blame JT for provincial  government fuck ups.

I'm not sure, bitching about a Trudeau is a way of life for many.

• Vintage 2

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Provinces manage their own forests.  Their own wildfire management.  Doing this now during what is set to be yet another national record year for fires is just sad

Are Provinces responsible for National Parks? Does the Federal Governement bare no responsibility for the destruction of Jasper?

Edited by bolt