Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

March 2024 budget over the next three years.

Can you tell us if Smith has fulfilled this promise?

If so, would be interesting to see an audit and effectiveness of any contracts.

See how that works? Just once it’d be nice to see you hold any Conservative to the same standard to set for Trudeau.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

March 2024 budget over the next three years.

Can you tell us if Smith has fulfilled this promise?

If so, would be interesting to see an audit and effectiveness of any contracts.

See how that works? Just once it’d be nice to see you hold any Conservative to the same standard to set for Trudeau.

Yes they should. Why do you have a problem when people call out our Federal Government? 

Edited by bolt

29 minutes ago, bolt said:

The economy is doing well so their lowering interest rates?  😄 🤣 

Seems like some people don't understand basic economics.  They are lowering interest rates because the economy is slowing down, and they want to avoid a recession.  Normally, when the economy is doing well you would be INCREASING interest rates...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Seems like some people don't understand basic economics.  They are lowering interest rates because the economy is slowing down, and they want to avoid a recession.  Normally, when the economy is doing well you would be INCREASING interest rates...

Yeah but their self proclaimed experts and have no bias.  I have admitted bias for the conservatives but they can't even admit they have bias for the other side.  I wonder why?  https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/resources/business-law-today/2020-april/everyone-is-a-little-bit-biased/

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yeah but their self proclaimed experts and have no bias.  I have admitted bias for the conservatives but they can't even admit they have bias for the other side.  I wonder why?  https://www.americanbar.org/groups/business_law/resources/business-law-today/2020-april/everyone-is-a-little-bit-biased/

It's pretty easy to read the Bank of Canada statement to understand why they are lowering interest rates...

He added that weaker retail sales and impending mortgage renewals likely gave the bank impetus to lower rates again.

With inflation expected to move closer to the bank's two per cent goal, a slack labour market and economic conditions expected to weaken, its governing council made the decision to lower the interest rate, Macklem said during the news conference.

He said those opposing forces — a weak economy pulling inflation down, and shelter prices keeping it up — means a decline in inflation will most likely be gradual, with possible setbacks along the way.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-of-canada-july-meeting-1.7273417

That doesn't sound like a growing and robust economy to me...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bolt said:

Yes they should. Why do you have a problem when people call out our Federal Government? 

Call out the Federal government for that which is a federal responsibility. Calling out the Feds for every story that crosses your path is just ridiculous. Bob answers your question and you doubt the effectiveness of the federal program yet you post about the Alberta government’s program without question or comment, just blindly accept it. Double standards.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Call out the Federal government for that which is a federal responsibility. Calling out the Feds for every story that crosses your path is just ridiculous. Bob answers your question and you doubt the effectiveness of the federal program yet you post about the Alberta government’s program without question or comment, just blindly accept it. Double standards.

"Every story"

this thread would be thousands of pages long if every Liberal scandal and every issue of ineptness were covered.  The Liberals have done a horrible job which seems to trigger you when that is mentioned.  If they were doing a good job Liberal MPs wouldn't be resigning on a monthly basis. But yeah you guys have no bias at all.  Economy is doing well according to many of you.

Edited by bolt
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bolt said:

Are Provinces responsible for National Parks? Does the Federal Governement bare no responsibility for the destruction of Jasper?

Inconvenient truth, say what? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's pretty easy to read the Bank of Canada statement to understand why they are lowering interest rates...

He added that weaker retail sales and impending mortgage renewals likely gave the bank impetus to lower rates again.

With inflation expected to move closer to the bank's two per cent goal, a slack labour market and economic conditions expected to weaken, its governing council made the decision to lower the interest rate, Macklem said during the news conference.

He said those opposing forces — a weak economy pulling inflation down, and shelter prices keeping it up — means a decline in inflation will most likely be gradual, with possible setbacks along the way.

I am a fiscal conservative and that is how I look at politics. To me Trudeau has been a disaster since he took government. The standard refrain on these pages is that Trudeau cannot be held accountable for much of the criticism leveled at his. I can agree that few politicians take responsibility for the results of their actions. They perceive doing so as a sign of weakness which might cost votes. 

I view the role of the CPC in opposition as one of criticizing the ruling Liberal failures. I also consider the CPC role as one of educating voters on conservative philosophy on economics. I don't expect them to layout an election platform 2 years prior to a campaign. I do expect them to promote fiscal responsibility and the tools they would use to achieve better results then the Liberals have. I do not think the NDP should even be in the conversation as their favorite projects are never seriously costed. But, the fact they are, is a CPC failure. 

The fundamental issues of revenue in and expenditure out does not get addressed much in Canadian politics. Deficit spending is the default process to support 'money out'. What that costs future Canadians receives minimal consideration. Poor explanation by all politicians is faulted but IMO particularly by the CPC who is supposed to be stronger on the fiscal folder.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Inconvenient truth, say what? 

If you really wanted to attach blame to the Feds for the wildfire in Jasper you could make the argument that they bought and pushed through TMP rather than letting it fail to the detriment of climate change. Now that would be an inconvenient truth.

Meanwhile active and equal partner…

IMG_1668.jpeg

What concerns me is I was browsing CTV News on Youtube, and I was shocked how many Pro-Trump commentators there were. If it's his American cult members I understand. The problem I have with PP is he has the same strategy as Trump, blame the other guy. I don't see a lot of framework, other than undoing what Trudeau has done. I remember once upon a time the Conservatives were called Progressive Conservatives. I don't see either party, trying to help create sustainable tech jobs, and broadening our economy. We're borderline a 19th Century economy in the 21st Century. We don't manage our forests or resources well. All I see the Conservatives doing is tax breaks for the rich. I'm honestly not happy with any party in Canada.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What concerns me is I was browsing CTV News on Youtube, and I was shocked how many Pro-Trump commentators there were. If it's his American cult members I understand. The problem I have with PP is he has the same strategy as Trump, blame the other guy. I don't see a lot of framework, other than undoing what Trudeau has done. I remember once upon a time the Conservatives were called Progressive Conservatives. I don't see either party, trying to help create sustainable tech jobs, and broadening our economy. We're bordererline a 19th Century economyrd in the 21st Century. We don't manage our forests or resources well. All I see the Conservatives doing is tax breaks for the rich. I'm honestly not happy with any party in Canada.

The Liberals have been putting R&D money into tech research in our major universities. My issue is how well we convert that research to Canada's economic benefit. I am not well enough versed to know but suspect it is stronger than I know. Ramping up tech innovation has often meant moving to Silicon Valley or allowing USA firms to come up and buy the fledgling firms. I am trending towards a more protectionist position. 

For all the tech promise, which is real, I still think energy is Canada's short term solution to the money in, money out crisis. Energy export can be funded by private capital and would yield tax revenue to all levels of government.  

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do you think you have more to add than the bank of Canada to the topic? You cherry picking of the article is funny.

Edited by Bob Long

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Liberals have been putting R&D money into tech research in our major universities. My issue is how well we convert that research to Canada's economic benefit. I am not well enough versed to know but suspect it is stronger than I know. Ramping up tech innovation has often meant moving to Silicon Valley or allowing USA firms to come up and buy the fledgling firms. I am trending towards a more protectionist position. 

We don't have enough Canadian VC funding for the seed tech we develop. If you go more protectionist without more support for Canadian VCs you will choke off funds. 

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

For all the tech promise, which is real, I still think energy is Canada's short term solution to the money in, money out crisis. Energy export can be funded by private capital and would yield tax revenue to all levels of government.  

We are doing that.

41 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

What concerns me is I was browsing CTV News on Youtube, and I was shocked how many Pro-Trump commentators there were. If it's his American cult members I understand. The problem I have with PP is he has the same strategy as Trump, blame the other guy. I don't see a lot of framework, other than undoing what Trudeau has done. I remember once upon a time the Conservatives were called Progressive Conservatives. I don't see either party, trying to help create sustainable tech jobs, and broadening our economy. We're borderline a 19th Century economy in the 21st Century. We don't manage our forests or resources well. All I see the Conservatives doing is tax breaks for the rich. I'm honestly not happy with any party in Canada.

When the PCs turned into the self pity cult by joining with Manning, it was all over for a sensible centre-right in Canada. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I also consider the CPC role as one of educating voters on conservative philosophy on economics.   

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Boy are you in for a surprise!

• ThereItIs 2