Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I just don't want to see, clearcutting forests, drilling for oil, gas, mining for minerals. Then when it's done there's a huge mess and the companies never pay for it.

I want jobs that our kids and grand kids will be well paying, and developing even more jobs. I agree money for innovation should stay in Canada not just someone else's pockets. I just think a diversified economy, is a better balance.

Based on the extent of forest fire the last few years a more active forestry industry could be part of the solution as end of life trees are much more likely to burn than younger tree stands.  It needs to be done responsibly.  The other sectors you mention ask yourself this would you rather those resources be developed in canada where the the sector is well managed, its safe for workers and most importantly the proceeds won't be used to fund wars?  The resources will be harvested somewhere and the alternatives have an impact on us and potentially our future generations. 

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/jasper-faces-significant-loss-as-wildfire-tears-through-historic-alberta-town/vi-BB1qAuz8?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f28ff6f3e5824566aa7d4cca90f7de3a&ei=74

"Alberta’s government has requested military assistance to combat the raging wildfire engulfing the town of Jasper. Officials say the situation is evolving very quickly and that "significant loss has occurred within the townsite." 

--------------------

2:47 vid at link.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/jasper-faces-significant-loss-as-wildfire-tears-through-historic-alberta-town/vi-BB1qAuz8?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f28ff6f3e5824566aa7d4cca90f7de3a&ei=74

"Alberta’s government has requested military assistance to combat the raging wildfire engulfing the town of Jasper. Officials say the situation is evolving very quickly and that "significant loss has occurred within the townsite." 

--------------------

2:47 vid at link.

This is one of those situations where politics should not enter into the discussion. All levels of government (and yes, the military) should be doing everything in their power to help the people of Jasper and the surrounding area.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

Just now, RupertKBD said:

This is one of those situations where politics should not enter into the discussion. All levels of government (and yes, the military) should be doing everything in their power to help the people of Jasper and the surrounding area.

true, but people in AB knew a problem was coming, and put in squarely on AB politicians. 

Wildland firefighters’ union worried about 2024 season: ‘Albertans should be concerned’

https://globalnews.ca/news/10297257/alberta-wildfire-union-firefighters-2024/

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

true, but people in AB knew a problem was coming, and put in squarely on AB politicians. 

Wildland firefighters’ union worried about 2024 season: ‘Albertans should be concerned’

https://globalnews.ca/news/10297257/alberta-wildfire-union-firefighters-2024/

Yep. But right now, you worry about putting the fire out and saving as many homes and businesses as you can. The finger pointing can come later....

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, bolt said:

Are Provinces responsible for National Parks? Does the Federal Governement bare no responsibility for the destruction of Jasper?

It is in a province.  That is provincial jurisdiction.  Grow up.

I work wit BC Wildfire Services every single year and have for over a decade.  You're out of your depth on this one mate

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, bolt said:

Cutting tens of millions from the budget to only add ten ish million back over time is factually increasing it yup.  But doesn't actually come across as totally honest

Edited by Warhippy

24 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Yep. But right now, you worry about putting the fire out and saving as many homes and businesses as you can. The finger pointing can come later....

Respectfully disagree. Now is the time to point out Smith's bullshit. People like bolt are already blaming Trudeau.

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Respectfully disagree. Now is the time to point out Smith's bullshit. People like bolt are already blaming Trudeau.

As is your right.

Personally I see no reason to sink to that level and try and score political points when people are losing everything.....

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

As is your right.

Personally I see no reason to sink to that level and try and score political points when people are losing everything.....

pointing out the truth isn't sinking imo, and I'd never suggest not acting to put out the fire in place of arguing about it.

But it's a bit like the gun discussions down south, whenever there's an incident people say oh wait to discuss it. But then it just gives more space for the spin.

Smith fucked up, this is on her. 

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

pointing out the truth isn't sinking imo, and I'd never suggest not acting to put out the fire in place of arguing about it.

But it's a bit like the gun discussions down south, whenever there's an incident people say oh wait to discuss it. But then it just gives more space for the spin.

Smith fucked up, this is on her. 

In fairness this isn't like Clarke/Harper pulling firefighters off of a line for a photo op back in 2014 or whatever.

Fires are not political, when they happen they happen and they move the way the wind blows and feed off of what exists.  It's awful and while policy certainly can help it is impossible to mitigate or anticipate an issue like we've seen the last 4-5 years in our western provinces and we can not spend our way out of it.

While I agree the idea of blaming Trudeau for yet another thing is stupid and childish, we can't really apply blame to anyone for a natural act.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

anticipate an issue like we've seen the last 4-5 years in our western provinces

given this has happened the last 4-5 years-at what point should we start to anticipate it?

• Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Gurn said:

given this has happened the last 4-5 years-at what point should we start to anticipate it?

It's actually closer to 8 or so.  Almost every year has been a record year for fires in BC Alberta Sask Manitoba Ontario etc.  Fires starting earlier and lasting longer.

We should have started to anticipate it back in the late 80s and early 90s when even Mulroney was speaking of a warming climate caused by humans.

Between beetle kill, drought and over 2 decades of pesticide usage in the forests creating literal mountains of fuel on top of a warming climate we can anticipate it, but we can't do a gd thing about it except protect cities and towns.  Mitigation for urban interface locations of import and mandatory mitigation efforts for homes and municipalities on the front lines (which is almost every city in western canada) 

There has been talk of extending water out to the outer edges of cities to allow for hydrant access for firefighters as municipal fire fighters don't have the actual equipment or ability to go off road and fight these monsters the same way wildfire services do.  Wildfire services don't have the ability to do more than mitigate damage and try to control fires by back burning and creating breaks.  But creating breaks does nothing as fires can jump 3-5 kms on a windy day making those efforts totally useless.

Having been caught 3 times behind lines now in the last decade and once in 2003 on the KVR near Myra in Kelowna it's absolutely terrifying to know that everything is ok and then ten minutes later you're cut off and running for your life because a hot spot developed 2 kms behind you and is cutting off the road out.

Anticipation doesn't exist anymore, it is more like expectation.

Funny thing here.  When I was with BCWFS in 2003 my first year out of Uni, BC only had about 2 dozen members hit what we call the century mark or 100 total days fighting on a line province wide.  Last year for the decom (decompression party) for the Kamloops zone, (I got to MC it here in Penticton at Slackwater Brewing) There was over 70 alone JUST for this zone.  

There's almost nothing that can be done anymore except know that it's coming.  Invest in new equipment and subsidize Coulson Bigcat and Conair, create deeper breaks between urban interface areas and force home owners to clean their yards and cut back everything to 100 meters ore more from their place of residence.

Fore reference here's some of my shots over the last few years taken in the Kamloops regional fire zone, Kelowna, Penticton, Keremeos, Manning etc.

My heart goes out to everyone in Jasper and for the first responders because nothing is mroe terrifying than trying to fight these in an interface setting when random propane tanks, cars and more are exploding all around you and fires can cut you off and out in moments without a clear path to get out if you turn down the wrong street or end up in a dead end alley or the like

DDP_9701.jpg

DDP_9714.jpg

DDP_0180.jpg

DDP_0127.jpg

DDP_0678.jpg

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/loblaw-bread-price-settlement-1.7274820

Loblaw, George Weston to pay $500M for bread price-fixing scheme in record antitrust settlement

'This should have never happened,' CEO Galen Weston says in apology

Oh?

So there WAS no scheme, and they WEREN'T price fixing.  Except they actually were.  Weston, you have some backtracking to do

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Loblaw, George Weston to pay $500M for bread price-fixing scheme in record antitrust settlement

Sadly these assholes will now raise the price of the bread, to pay the fine money.

I think jail time should be an option for cases like this.

18 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sadly these assholes will now raise the price of the bread, to pay the fine money.

It should be mandatory for all the C level executives. 

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My heart goes out to everyone in Jasper and for the first responders because nothing is mroe terrifying than trying to fight these in an interface setting when random propane tanks, cars and more are exploding all around you and fires can cut you off and out in moments without a clear path to get out if you turn down the wrong street or end up in a dead end alley or the like

That's a great point, Hip.

Virtually everyone has a propane tank or two on their property. (We have three at my place) It has to be a huge danger to anyone tasked with fighting those fires, not to mention the people that live in the area.

31 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I feel like there’s no way to hold these assholes accountable.

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

The penalty should always exceed the profits they made which is in the billions. Otherwise it's just cost of business.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I feel like there’s no way to hold these assholes accountable.

I try to buy my bread at smaller bakery's. I only buy what I cannot get from other stores at any loblaw stores. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The penalty should always exceed the profits they made which is in the billions. Otherwise it's just cost of business.

Jailtime for the people who are the decision makers in those companies, as well as their enablers in the chain of command, would feel appropriate as a deterrent and to level out the justice playing field on top of the (expensed as cost of doing business) fines levied.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Jailtime for the people who are the decision makers in those companies, as well as their enablers in the chain of command, would feel appropriate as a deterrent and to level out the justice playing field on top of the (expensed as cost of doing business) fines levied.

No club fed or protective custody either.  Treat them like the career criminals that they are.  I'd also suggest treating these companies as criminal organizations, complete with the seizure of assets.

Once the fires subside, our Governments will use this tragedy as an opportunity to push their climate agenda. 
They won’t buy more water bombers, they won’t hire more fire fighters & they won’t manage the forests, they’ll just keep blaming CO2 & us.